Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.11.2009, 18:21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
oktatabyebye has no particular reputation at present
Best bank for money transfer...

Hello all experienced folks,

I opened an account with postfinance after I came to Switzerland. Transfered money twice to my Indian CITIBANK account. Both the time there was a less (27 CHF less) deposite credited into my account (this is besides service charges by CITI). So in essence this is proving to be an expensive way to transfer money to India.
Can you folks suggest something better?? Appreciate your advices in advance!!

Last edited by oktatabyebye; 30.11.2009 at 18:22. Reason: Adding the exact additional deduction
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.11.2009, 18:57
BeastOfBodmin's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 871
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 352 Times in 230 Posts
BeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

This has been discussed many times.

Try searching the forum, and if nothing helps, return to this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30.11.2009, 19:01
bliss's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sion
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bliss has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

I've been having the same problem to transfer money to India. Is so expensive. And that looks to be the only way (western union is faster but higher rate, 45CHF, in other countries, this senvice is cheaper). Here cant find any other solution, the lower I've heared from a bank was 22CHF

any coment on this welcome!

even CITI was good, from ur account to a linked account u paid only 1 euro, but no CITI in Swiss
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30.11.2009, 19:21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
oktatabyebye has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

Quote:
View Post
This has been discussed many times.

Try searching the forum, and if nothing helps, return to this thread.
Well I posted this question after I did a brief search on the forum. May be I did not use correct key words? can you please post a link for one of such threads? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30.11.2009, 21:03
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bevaix
Posts: 102
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
vydetra2 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

Quote:
View Post
Hello all experienced folks,

I opened an account with postfinance after I came to Switzerland. Transfered money twice to my Indian CITIBANK account. Both the time there was a less (27 CHF less) deposite credited into my account (this is besides service charges by CITI). So in essence this is proving to be an expensive way to transfer money to India.
Can you folks suggest something better?? Appreciate your advices in advance!!

according to my discovery : banking charges for transfers to non euro region are high in switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30.11.2009, 21:55
BeastOfBodmin's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 871
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 352 Times in 230 Posts
BeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

Quote:
View Post
This has been discussed many times.

Try searching the forum, and if nothing helps, return to this thread.
Quote:
View Post
Well I posted this question after I did a brief search on the forum. May be I did not use correct key words? can you please post a link for one of such threads? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Just now I got 209 hits for

transfer funds

and 500 for

transfer money

hint: Set the search to "show posts" rather than "show threads".
hint2: The EF search function is a bit intolerant compared with Google. But you can use google to search EF also. To restrict google search results to just the EF site, add

site:www.englishforum.ch

to the search terms. e.g.

transfer money site:www.englishforum.ch
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01.12.2009, 05:21
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: nussbumen
Posts: 65
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
arnav has earned some respectarnav has earned some respect
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

Hello,

I transfer the money to my Indian Bank Through E Banking . I am charged CHF 5 per Transfer .

Always remember when you make the transfer to Select the Option that all costs are to beneficiary in the Indian account where Transfer is being made . Since Charges in India are Nil or Max 50 INR for some banks this works out to be the best way
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank arnav for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 01.12.2009, 07:51
ElggDK's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ottawa - Canada
Posts: 943
Groaned at 29 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,268 Times in 565 Posts
ElggDK has a reputation beyond reputeElggDK has a reputation beyond reputeElggDK has a reputation beyond reputeElggDK has a reputation beyond reputeElggDK has a reputation beyond reputeElggDK has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

This is what I found out in my way to lower transfering costs:

When I transfer money to Denmark from my Swiss bank account (Credit Suisse), the money always goes via the Danish bank Nordea (who is assosiated to CS) and for this service Nordea charges me CHF 22. Another CHF 6 is paid to my local danish bank and another CHF 5 to Credit Suisse. CHF 33 in total.

In order to save the CHF 22 I have opened an account in Nordea so now I pay "only" CHF 11 in total. Of course I have to transfer my money from Nordea to my local danish bank myself, but I can do that on netbank for free.

Check out which Indian bank you Swiss bank is hooked up with and open an account in that bank. That may be the key to lower your transfer fee.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ElggDK for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 01.12.2009, 09:40
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bevaix
Posts: 102
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
vydetra2 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

I transfer the money to my Indian Bank Through E Banking . I am charged CHF 5 per Transfer .

Always remember when you make the transfer to Select the Option that all costs are to beneficiary in the Indian account where Transfer is being made . Since Charges in India are Nil or Max 50 INR for some banks this works out to be the best way
Hello
Please can you tell me which swiss bank you use for e-banking, because currently I paid Sfr25. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01.12.2009, 12:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
oktatabyebye has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

I transfer the money to my Indian Bank Through E Banking . I am charged CHF 5 per Transfer .

Always remember when you make the transfer to Select the Option that all costs are to beneficiary in the Indian account where Transfer is being made . Since Charges in India are Nil or Max 50 INR for some banks this works out to be the best way
Can you please mention which bank's e-services you are using for money transfer? I did it through e-banking of postfinance and was charged 27 CHF here and 56 INR from Indian bank.

Thanks.. I can see some way to save a meal for myself.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01.12.2009, 12:25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
oktatabyebye has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

Quote:
View Post

Check out which Indian bank you Swiss bank is hooked up with and open an account in that bank. That may be the key to lower your transfer fee.
Well I tried to tackle this issue in the same way but I was surprised with the way postfinance works. Just to let me know which bank they made this transfer through which charged me additional heavy fees (postfinance share was supposed to be only 2 CHF for the transfer), they asked me to pay 30 CHF as "investigation charges".

I really did not understand what investigation is needed. I just want to know who took my hard earned money from my bank account. Looks like postfinance has figured out what people do when they come to know about swiss bank involved in transfer. They charge you 30 CHF for giving an information because of which they would potentially lose future transfers requests.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01.12.2009, 12:33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich, Dubendorf
Posts: 90
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 49 Times in 29 Posts
kalyan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

Most of the international transfers that go to India go through Standard Charted Bank.

I use my Credit Suisse account to transfer funds and it goes via Standard Charted. The charge I pay is 29 CHF per transaction.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01.12.2009, 17:49
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bevaix
Posts: 102
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
vydetra2 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

Quote:
View Post
Most of the international transfers that go to India go through Standard Charted Bank.

I use my Credit Suisse account to transfer funds and it goes via Standard Charted. The charge I pay is 29 CHF per transaction.
The routing depends on the currency (being sent) and the related Nostro Account for that currency to be sent from the transferring country to the receiving bank. Major Receiving Banks have a Nostro Account for inter bank transactions. So for dollars the money would go via a US based bank via the Nostro account of that receiving bank and so on
best wishes
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02.12.2009, 07:56
ElggDK's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ottawa - Canada
Posts: 943
Groaned at 29 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,268 Times in 565 Posts
ElggDK has a reputation beyond reputeElggDK has a reputation beyond reputeElggDK has a reputation beyond reputeElggDK has a reputation beyond reputeElggDK has a reputation beyond reputeElggDK has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

Quote:
View Post
Well I tried to tackle this issue in the same way but I was surprised with the way postfinance works. Just to let me know which bank they made this transfer through which charged me additional heavy fees (postfinance share was supposed to be only 2 CHF for the transfer), they asked me to pay 30 CHF as "investigation charges".

I really did not understand what investigation is needed. I just want to know who took my hard earned money from my bank account. Looks like postfinance has figured out what people do when they come to know about swiss bank involved in transfer. They charge you 30 CHF for giving an information because of which they would potentially lose future transfers requests.
I could see the name of the corresponding bank in Denmark on the receipt I received from my local Danish bank. All the details......just waiting for me to take action on my own

I quick phone call to that specific bank and an account with netbank was up and running in just 1 day.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02.12.2009, 08:55
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

The posters in this thread are focusing on the CHF 30 fee, which is perceived as excessive. But what about the currency conversion rate? That can destroy more value than the flat fee.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Goldtop for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 02.12.2009, 09:02
magic's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,084
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 670 Times in 301 Posts
magic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

Quote:
View Post
The posters in this thread are focusing on the CHF 30 fee, which is perceived as excessive. But what about the currency conversion rate? That can destroy more value than the flat fee.
This definitely makes a big difference if you are switching currencies. We just saved close to 1000 CHF transfering a big chunk of money from CHF to Euros, this was using xc.com compared to Credit Suisse.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02.12.2009, 09:42
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich, Dubendorf
Posts: 90
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 49 Times in 29 Posts
kalyan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

Thanks GoldTop and Magic for bringing up a very valid point.

I always assumed that all the banks give the same interbank exchange rates. Here is a link to the CS page I check before I transfer.

https://marketdataresearch.credit-su...9999&tabtype=0

I just check the "Upto CHF 10,000.00" selling rate for INR and this is exactly what I get for my transfer.

Magic, It would be nice if you elaborate a bit. Obviously am missing something here!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02.12.2009, 09:59
magic's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,084
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 670 Times in 301 Posts
magic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

Quote:
View Post
Thanks GoldTop and Magic for bringing up a very valid point.

I always assumed that all the banks give the same interbank exchange rates. Here is a link to the CS page I check before I transfer.

https://marketdataresearch.credit-su...9999&tabtype=0

I just check the "Upto CHF 10,000.00" selling rate for INR and this is exactly what I get for my transfer.

Magic, It would be nice if you elaborate a bit. Obviously am missing something here!
Now go to www.xe.com and put the figures into the from/to and you will see what the exchange rate they give you. If you want to do this for real then you need to sign up an account. To get the real amount they give you go to the trade section and put in the details. Betweent the two you see the margin they are taking. Ditto with Credit Suisse, you will see that xe.com take a much smaller amount.

The interbank rate is going to be the same for all banks/organisations but the rate they give you will differ because they are taking a cut/profit for doing the deal.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions then post back
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02.12.2009, 11:59
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

Quote:
View Post
Thanks GoldTop and Magic for bringing up a very valid point.

I always assumed that all the banks give the same interbank exchange rates. Here is a link to the CS page I check before I transfer.

https://marketdataresearch.credit-su...9999&tabtype=0

I just check the "Upto CHF 10,000.00" selling rate for INR and this is exactly what I get for my transfer.

Magic, It would be nice if you elaborate a bit. Obviously am missing something here!
The theoretical interbank rate is not available to mere mortals.

Then there is the buy/sell spread. When you buy, you might pay 1.25% more than IB. When you sell, you get 1.25% less than IB. The actual spread depends on Bank, amount, currency pair and format (bigger spread for cash).

You often get a better rate if converting more than 50k. If converting even larger amounts, you can try negotiating! Ccy pair CHF/INR probably has a higher spread because of low liquidity.

And then there are the discounters like those mentioned in various threads:
  • What are the risks?
  • Are they doing exotic pairs like INR?
__________________
Caveat lector!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02.12.2009, 13:06
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bevaix
Posts: 102
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
vydetra2 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best bank for money transfer...

Quote:
View Post
Thanks GoldTop and Magic for bringing up a very valid point.

I always assumed that all the banks give the same interbank exchange rates. Here is a link to the CS page I check before I transfer.

https://marketdataresearch.credit-su...9999&tabtype=0

I just check the "Upto CHF 10,000.00" selling rate for INR and this is exactly what I get for my transfer.

Magic, It would be nice if you elaborate a bit. Obviously am missing something here!
To give an example the conversion rates will not be the same at the Bank called A and the bank called B, both in say Zurich.
If the conversion is to take place say in India the rates would be again different.
The conversion would take place if you send Sfrs to India in Mumbai. If you send INRS then the conversion would take place in Zurich.
CS has Nostro accounts for SFrs for some Indian banks. Other Indian banks have Noistro account with UBS.
I assume you could get better rate if one sends SFr, thus conversion is done in the entry gate at Mumbai .
If you send INRS your conversion would take place at the counter in Zurich.
best wishes
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank vydetra2 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
transfer money to CH when moving in evZENy Finance/banking/taxation 23 09.03.2011 14:17
Money transfer UK to CH PaddyG Finance/banking/taxation 3 18.03.2009 15:46
transfer chf to uk bank glendamwm Finance/banking/taxation 5 11.12.2008 14:03
Money transfer to US DennisH Finance/banking/taxation 7 28.06.2008 23:20


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0