Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:02
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 254
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
theshepherds is considered unworthytheshepherds is considered unworthytheshepherds is considered unworthy
HSBC woes

The last straw..

I have not had much luck with my HSBC Maestro Debit card, never works on a Sunday evening (reliably and predictably so) and they seem to have an ATM balance that is a few days out on my current account balance so immediate fund transfers take a few days to go through their system, balance on line is fine, balance at ATM is always a few days behind... cleared funds too, from one HSBC account to another...

Anyway to cut a long story short, they have ditched Maestro and , on their own initiative ordered me a Visa Debit card to replace mine. I find this out the hard way at Gatwick last night when my Maestro card was reported as stolen at the Car Rental counter, and on a watch list, they told me they had to cut it up... So midnight, cant get the rental car, will probably lose the money I paid, card wont work in the ATM so cant get cash for a taxi, had to phone a friend to drive an hour to pick me up...(I have never had , never needed, will never want a credit card... my mistake after 20 years apparently) ...am now in the UK for a dentist appointment that I cant pay for, cant get any cash out of the ATM's and my account manager wont speak to me personally because my balance is less than £70K. Over an hour speaking to their Singapore helpdesk, and we all know what overseas based help desks are like.


Such a helpful bank, It will take 7-10 days for my new card to arrive, to my UK address, so will have to fly back again to get it.
Swiss Staff Maestro card is not very popular here and everyone refusing it. I made the mistake of transferring most of my first pay cheque balance to my HSBC account to do xmas shopping whilst here so its not much good at the ATM either... Sorry kids, going to be a little lite on presents this year.

I guess the lesson to learn is always carry a backup card with a useable limit, even if you never intend to use it, make sure you carry plenty of cash and change banks. HSBC have consistently let me down.

<RANT MODE OFF>
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:05
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,108
Groaned at 31 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 4,894 Times in 2,214 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HSBC woes

sorry to hear about your problems.

I love my HSBC account, unfortunately I don't have anywhere to get in-person service around here.

When I 'lost' my MBNA mastercard, they fedEXd me a new one over night. Very impressed with that sevice since I didn't even want to use it here.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:07
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,467
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HSBC woes

Do you actually plan these things or they just happen?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:11
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 254
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
theshepherds is considered unworthytheshepherds is considered unworthytheshepherds is considered unworthy
Re: HSBC woes

Quote:
View Post
Do you actually plan these things or they just happen?

It was just one bad day... read my on Europecar lol...

Maybe it was karma... I still feel they should have told me they cancelled my card, and that they had ordered me a replacement Visa Debit, and that they mistakenly listed my card as stolen... One thing I am not is psychic
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:16
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,467
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HSBC woes

Quote:
View Post
It was just one bad day... read my on Europecar lol...

Maybe it was karma... I still feel they should have told me they cancelled my card, and that they had ordered me a replacement Visa Debit, and that they mistakenly listed my card as stolen... One thing I am not is psychic
Funny... I do have an account with First Direct/HSBC and when they switched Maestro with Visa Debit... It arrived at my home address in good time, no probs at all, smooth transition... I thought they did it out of vengence as I had applied for UBS Maestro. Only downside is my daily withdrawl limit on new Visa Debit is lower than what I had before. .. Dont reallyneed it so didnt really ask for a review.

BTW... I hope you did'nt start of with your Quantum Card philosophy... "I lost my card somewhere, nobody was there to witness it. So did I actually lose my card or not?"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:17
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HSBC woes

Quote:
View Post
Maybe it was karma... I still feel they should have told me they cancelled my card, and that they had ordered me a replacement Visa Debit, and that they mistakenly listed my card as stolen... One thing I am not is psychic
Surely, as a quantum buddhist, you are much much more than merely "psychic"
.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:18
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 254
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
theshepherds is considered unworthytheshepherds is considered unworthytheshepherds is considered unworthy
Re: HSBC woes

Quote:
View Post

BTW... I hope you did'nt start of with your Quantum Card philosophy... "I lost my card somewhere, nobody was there to witness it. So did I actually lost my card or not?"

Whats the equivalent of flaggelation or pennance for noobie forum posters that made an arse of themselves ?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:19
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 254
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
theshepherds is considered unworthytheshepherds is considered unworthytheshepherds is considered unworthy
Re: HSBC woes

Quote:
View Post
Surely, as a quantum buddhist, you are much much more than merely "psychic"
.

I shall deal with this in another Universe...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank theshepherds for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:21
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HSBC woes

Seems a lot of banks are moving to visa debit. RBS sent me a visa debit as well. I'm still using the Maestro because I like the silver better though
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:28
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,467
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HSBC woes

Quote:
View Post
Whats the equivalent of flaggelation or pennance for noobie forum posters that made an arse of themselves ?
God of EF is very Unforgiving

Quote:
View Post
I shall deal with this in another Universe...
You mean another thread.. ?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dervaish for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:31
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,401
Groaned at 164 Times in 115 Posts
Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,816 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HSBC woes

Quote:
View Post
The last straw..

I have not had much luck with my HSBC Maestro Debit card, never works on a Sunday evening (reliably and predictably so) and they seem to have an ATM balance that is a few days out on my current account balance so immediate fund transfers take a few days to go through their system, balance on line is fine, balance at ATM is always a few days behind... cleared funds too, from one HSBC account to another...

Anyway to cut a long story short, they have ditched Maestro and , on their own initiative ordered me a Visa Debit card to replace mine. I find this out the hard way at Gatwick last night when my Maestro card was reported as stolen at the Car Rental counter, and on a watch list, they told me they had to cut it up... So midnight, cant get the rental car, will probably lose the money I paid, card wont work in the ATM so cant get cash for a taxi, had to phone a friend to drive an hour to pick me up...(I have never had , never needed, will never want a credit card... my mistake after 20 years apparently) ...am now in the UK for a dentist appointment that I cant pay for, cant get any cash out of the ATM's and my account manager wont speak to me personally because my balance is less than £70K. Over an hour speaking to their Singapore helpdesk, and we all know what overseas based help desks are like.


Such a helpful bank, It will take 7-10 days for my new card to arrive, to my UK address, so will have to fly back again to get it.
Swiss Staff Maestro card is not very popular here and everyone refusing it. I made the mistake of transferring most of my first pay cheque balance to my HSBC account to do xmas shopping whilst here so its not much good at the ATM either... Sorry kids, going to be a little lite on presents this year.

I guess the lesson to learn is always carry a backup card with a useable limit, even if you never intend to use it, make sure you carry plenty of cash and change banks. HSBC have consistently let me down.

<RANT MODE OFF>
but at least your email address is safe with them.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:34
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 254
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
theshepherds is considered unworthytheshepherds is considered unworthytheshepherds is considered unworthy
Re: HSBC woes

Quote:
View Post
but at least your email address is safe with them.

Keep 'em coming...
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank theshepherds for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:43
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,467
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HSBC woes

Quote:
View Post
Keep 'em coming...
Did you file a complain against HSBC Maestro for breach of Data Protection, for passing on your details to Visa?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:51
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 254
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
theshepherds is considered unworthytheshepherds is considered unworthytheshepherds is considered unworthy
Re: HSBC woes

Quote:
View Post
Did you file a complain against HSBC Maestro for breach of Data Protection, for passing on your details to Visa?
It's not going to go away is it ?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:51
Slaphead's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,230
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 9,408 Times in 2,870 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HSBC woes

Quote:
View Post
It's not going to go away is it ?
Give it time your red blobbies are slowly creeping down.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:53
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,467
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HSBC woes

Quote:
View Post
It's not going to go away is it ?
It will... eventually

Dont take me seriously (nobody does actually), Im just messing with you being bored... need to pick on someone and you seem like a ripe harvest for rich pickings
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09.12.2009, 17:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HSBC woes

Quote:
View Post
It's not going to go away is it ?
Maybe, in another waveform...

I guess a lot depends on what inner secrets the LMC
(Large Monk Collider) reveals to us...
.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 09.12.2009, 18:00
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,467
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HSBC woes

Quote:
View Post
Maybe, in another waveform...

I guess a lot depends on what inner secrets the LMC
(Large Monk Collider) reveals to us...
.
Becareful whom you offend mate, he might come back as YOU in his next life
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09.12.2009, 18:01
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 254
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
theshepherds is considered unworthytheshepherds is considered unworthytheshepherds is considered unworthy
Re: HSBC woes

Quote:
View Post
Becareful whom you offend mate, he might come back as YOU in his next life
I feel some Baldrick front line poetry coming on...

Boom Boom Boom....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09.12.2009, 18:23
HashBrown's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,290
Groaned at 68 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,340 Posts
HashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HSBC woes

We can be forgiving. Based on the amount of beer you buy us at the next Talacker Night.

Welcome back and too bad about HSBC. Clearly their advertising re being the local bank didn't take into account spooky actions at a distance.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HashBrown for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HSBC - Any experience ? Fly-Swiss Employment 4 03.05.2013 10:13
UK HSBC stopping Maestro cards telandy International affairs/politics 5 20.07.2009 11:02
Weather Woes raincookie Daily life 22 20.03.2009 11:32
Need help with moving out woes prashantb03 Complaints corner 25 05.02.2009 00:09
HSBC to Buy UBS? Nickj Finance/banking/taxation 41 12.08.2008 18:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0