Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.04.2010, 23:06
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wil
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
silin has no particular reputation at present
Swiss taxes on interest from a German bank.

I read on this forum that if I reside in Switzerland and have a bank account in Germany (which gives me small profit of about 100 EUR per year from the interest) I need to declare it to be taxed in Switzerland. The German bank already takes taxes from my account for Germany. Do I need to declare it in Switzerland? Is is still possible to do a tax declaration this year? How do I then avoid the double taxation by two countries? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.04.2010, 23:30
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss taxes on interest from a German bank.

Quote:
View Post
I read on this forum that if I reside in Switzerland and have a bank account in Germany (which gives me small profit of about 100 EUR per year from the interest) I need to declare it to be taxed in Switzerland. The German bank already takes taxes from my account for Germany. Do I need to declare it in Switzerland? Is is still possible to do a tax declaration this year? How do I then avoid the double taxation by two countries? Thanks.
Tell your German bank that you are a Swiss resident and give them proof of Swiss residency. They would then stop taxing in Germany.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16.04.2010, 23:46
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,222
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,911 Times in 4,168 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss taxes on interest from a German bank.

As per Goldtop - you need to
1) declare yourself outside of D to stop paying tax there
2) declare income from any & all sources, as well as balances and interest of all accounts outside and inside CH
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17.04.2010, 00:22
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wil
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
silin has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss taxes on interest from a German bank.

Quote:
View Post
Tell your German bank that you are a Swiss resident and give them proof of Swiss residency. They would then stop taxing in Germany.
Well, I did tell the German bank about the change of residence. They keep taxing. How and to whom in Switzerland am I supposed to tell about the German account?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18.04.2010, 00:16
FriendlyKiwi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shoppinzentrum
Posts: 1,784
Groaned at 20 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 914 Times in 551 Posts
FriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss taxes on interest from a German bank.

Quote:
View Post
Well, I did tell the German bank about the change of residence. They keep taxing. How and to whom in Switzerland am I supposed to tell about the German account?
You tell the tax man when you write it on the tax form
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18.04.2010, 11:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Swiss taxes on interest from a German bank.

Quote:
View Post
You tell the tax man when you write it on the tax form
EU Savings Directive (including arrangements with non-EU European countries): http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...x/index_en.htm (see especially "Rules applicable")
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss tax deductions - UK mortgage interest? dragontree Finance/banking/taxation 58 06.02.2013 10:48
Swiss National Bank halves interest rate to 0.5% Swissmountainair Finance/banking/taxation 14 12.12.2008 15:15
UK Bank Interest Rate Deep Purple Finance/banking/taxation 13 07.11.2008 19:36
Swiss interest rates clive7 Finance/banking/taxation 3 17.05.2007 18:30


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0