English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Finance/banking/taxation (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/)
-   -   Good time to buy shares in BP (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/85759-good-time-buy-shares-bp.html)

15.06.2010 18:23

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 847405)
anyone know if you can buy BP corporate debt through swissquote?

yes you can

Phil_MCR 15.06.2010 18:24

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 847410)
yes you can

do you have a link to it? not really used to the interface yet...

15.06.2010 18:26

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 847411)
do you have a link to it? not really used to the interface yet...

No, you can't link. Click "bonds" on the bottom left, then search for BP Plc and order by currency. It's an 8% one expiring end 2050.

Phil_MCR 15.06.2010 18:45

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
thanks. still unsure about BP. there seems to be massive political risk from obama's anti-brit campaign.

15.06.2010 19:08

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 847422)
thanks. still unsure about BP. there seems to be massive political risk from obama's anti-brit campaign.

Well remember you're never going to get a great deal on a company so big because knowledge about their state is so transparent, they're pretty much going to be priced accordingly. The most likely way you can benefit is if your time horizon is radically different from the market's - that is, usually, if you can wait a very long time for BP to recover.

If you can, I'd buy.

Caviarchips 15.06.2010 19:58

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 847445)
Well remember you're never going to get a great deal on a company so big because knowledge about their state is so transparent, they're pretty much going to be priced accordingly. The most likely way you can benefit is if your time horizon is radically different from the market's - that is, usually, if you can wait a very long time for BP to recover.

If you can, I'd buy.

Agree, and I was tempted too, but their US corporate reputation will suffer hugely and their sales may be affected (although retail isn't that important) AND they may become more risk averse than their competitors....

I still think its good value BUT its not risk free

15.06.2010 20:01

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caviarchips (Post 847500)
Agree, and I was tempted too, but their US corporate reputation will suffer hugely and their sales may be affected (although retail isn't that important) AND they may become more risk averse than their competitors....

I still think its good value BUT its not risk free

Far from being risk free, I'd rate the risk level pretty high for a retail investor and would certainly not commit more than 2% to 3% of your net investable wealth to BP stock.

River10 15.06.2010 20:13

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Yes, That is the right time to support a company with no leadership acting quick enough to stop this environmental mess !!!!!!

:msncrazy:

gray 15.06.2010 20:22

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Dilbert's Scott Adams reckons you should invest in BP and explains why

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...265955016.html

15.06.2010 20:26

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by River10 (Post 847512)
Yes, That is the right time to support a company with no leadership acting quick enough to stop this environmental mess !!!!!!

:msncrazy:

Well we are of course speaking about investment from a purely profit motivated standpoint. Ethical investments are unique to the individual investor, though granted most ethically motivated investors would shy away from any oil company. However I feel BP haven't put much of a step wrong, and until we see evidence that they were negligent we should really assume that this is just part of the natural risk of what they do.

Caviarchips 15.06.2010 20:41

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 847522)
However I feel BP haven't put much of a step wrong, and until we see evidence that they were negligent we should really assume that this is just part of the natural risk of what they do.

Early facts seem to suggest that it was the oversight of their operation which was wrong.....lack of safeguards on a project this deep which was signed off by the US Authorities.....could be that Obama thinks that attack is the best form of defence. I don't accept that this risk is unavoidable, but it needs to be enforced by somebody, they won't (and didn't) spend the money to reduce the risk voluntarily.....

So to return to the topic of the thread, if this is true, it supports the view that it could be a good time to buy as a long term investment

Phil_MCR 16.06.2010 00:29

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
for me the only question is how much will they have to pay for this disaster. they've already spent 1.5bn. estimates range between 5bn and 40bn.

while there is some political risk, i'm discounting it - i don't believe the US (even brit-hating obama) would do something stupid.

some argue that there is a risk of bankruptcy for BP - i'm not quite sure how their argument pans out.

anyway, i've been wanting to get exposure to oil and now looks like a chance to do so on the cheap (but with additional risk). on balance, i think the risks have been factored into the price more than enough.

i expect price will reach new low by friday, which is probably when my swissquote account will be funded :)

daveAust 16.06.2010 00:51

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
well, i dont think bp is near bankrupcy at all. they have such an huge cash flow, which is not really affected by this crisis (at least for now, because untill they have to pay, years will be gone). what will suffer is the dividend, but i think thats already priced in right now.

the other option, that someone could buy em is in my option not really realistic, especially if you take into account, that many british pension funds are invested.

option could be that you start building up your investment over the next few weeks in a few trades, because i think the next few weeks will be quite important, not only for bp, but for the market in general.

16.06.2010 21:15

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 847735)
for me the only question is how much will they have to pay for this disaster.

Depends on whether the relief wells work. That's the big unknown out there in terms of what it'll eventually cost 'em. But as others have said, it won't all have to paid at once. Even if they have to reserve $5bn a year for however long it takes to cover their eventual liabilities, they can manage that and professional investors will be able to factor that into their earnings models. Leaving aside the sabre rattling and rhetoric, I don't think anybody is going to try and bankrupt BP. It's in nobody's interests. BP is a big employer in the US and 40% of it's shareholders are American.

Midas 16.06.2010 22:04

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
If you were all to include current market (price) quotes when making predictions or giving advice, it would make this thread more interesting to read in the future. With the benefit of hindsight, it will be possible to see who was wrong and who was right.

Phil_MCR 17.06.2010 11:05

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Midas (Post 848932)
If you were all to include current market (price) quotes when making predictions or giving advice, it would make this thread more interesting to read in the future. With the benefit of hindsight, it will be possible to see who was wrong and who was right.

historical share prices are readily available.

account still not set up yet :(

share price gapped up by 7% this morning.

Dervaish 17.06.2010 11:30

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
I would be buying PetroChina Shares, not listed on FTSE though but HKSE and NASDAQ, probably NYSE too.

;)

Phil_MCR 18.06.2010 11:51

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
you snooze, you lose. account still not funded. missed out on a 10% gain :(

Phil_MCR 18.06.2010 12:25

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
account funded and shares bought. a bit annoyed that i missed the 10% gain, but there you go - serves me right for not having a trading account set-up.

Dervaish 18.06.2010 12:26

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 850593)
you snooze, you lose. account still not funded. missed out on a 10% gain :(

For short run its good, you can make money. I just hope you are not investing for the long term?

You sure BP can survive this? Share price does not reflect the the true feeling of the market, as BP is involved in certain practices to maintain the share price and liquidity in the market.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:13.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0