English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Finance/banking/taxation (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/)
-   -   Good time to buy shares in BP (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/85759-good-time-buy-shares-bp.html)

markalex 10.06.2010 20:04

Good time to buy shares in BP
 
What do you think... the share price @ an all time low... is this the mother of all oil slicks or simply a political football for our man Obama to kick around given he not been too popular lately...

Gastro Gnome 10.06.2010 20:34

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by markalex (Post 841512)
What do you think... the share price @ an all time low... is this the mother of all oil slicks or simply a political football for our man Obama to kick around given he not been too popular lately...

It's too uncertain . . . you almost certainly have less knowledge about the situation than the petrologists on the ground and the market analysts. Not only could the situation on the sea bed get far worse, but the extent of the possible liabilities are hard to predict, with BP being stuck with other oil company's lay off costs while the moratorium is in place.

Phil_MCR 10.06.2010 20:54

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
i would buy.

TradeTicker 10.06.2010 21:04

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
there could be something exceptionally bad that BP would uncover in mid term...... I would be very cautious and not invest in BP.

The first principle of investing is your investment remains safe and profit comes later:)

swissAussie 10.06.2010 21:20

Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Hhmm better to eye on the side of caution and not buy at the moment they will most likely lose more value yet

swissAussie 10.06.2010 21:21

Good time to buy shares in BP
 
And only put a small percent of ur portfolio into such an investment

maconp11 10.06.2010 21:39

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
I bought quite a few shares this A.M. and the price is up 10% and still running up. The market closes soon and I will probably dump what I have and then start fresh in am. The price has bumped and now is beginning to stabilize... Thats usually when the weird s&&t usually happens; after it hits a plateau and holds. It is currently 10.halfish% up and has held that for about an hour. Good Luck!!!-M:msnnerd:
PS markets close in 20 min...

swisspea 10.06.2010 21:41

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
I guess the advice (as always) is to only bet what you can afford to lose...

maconp11 10.06.2010 21:55

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Sold. 11.10% gain, but I want to see the futures in the am before rebuying the stock. I wouldnt hold it 24hrs+ unless you are going 1 year or more.

Village Idiot 11.06.2010 06:04

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
I'm a buy-and-hold investor, and I think the market has over-reacted to the crisis. Until the estimates of the oil being released begin to stablize, though, I'm not ready to buy.

dino 11.06.2010 10:32

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
The way they have handled the crisis so far, I wouldn't be surprised at all if many more skeletons come tumbling out of their cupboard.

Tony Hayward is as good as gone. The next guy will be obliged to clean house in short order.

11.06.2010 10:46

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
With the huge costs they are incurring will BP survive?

Am I being naive in saying that BP are doing everything they can for the clean up and that this leak could have happened to anyone?

Why is BP getting so much stick?

Gastro Gnome 11.06.2010 11:01

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by porsch1909 (Post 841956)
With the huge costs they are incurring will BP survive?

Am I being naive in saying that BP are doing everything they can for the clean up and that this leak could have happened to anyone?

Why is BP getting so much stick?

Just because it could have happened to anyone you think BP should face no penalties? Crimes tend to be based on actual rather than potential events.

kiwiguy08 11.06.2010 11:10

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by porsch1909 (Post 841956)
With the huge costs they are incurring will BP survive?

Am I being naive in saying that BP are doing everything they can for the clean up and that this leak could have happened to anyone?

Why is BP getting so much stick?

When you affect the lives of thousands of people, their livelihood, and their general health they of course will be angry.

Not to mention the innocent animals who will suffer in great agony for years.

Unless you have been there and seen what has happened and/or live on the coast you have no right to question their reaction.

http://news.suite101.com/article.cfm...ations-a247676

11.06.2010 11:15

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
It was actually a genuine question rather than an opinion. I've not been following it much and I realise it is very unfortunate.

But has BP not taken full responsibility and will pay for the full clean up (even though legislation says they don't have to) and are compensating people's income when livelihood has been affected?

The leak is in deep water and there is no precedent for closing it up, so it's all new waters and nobody knows how to close it, and as far as I can tell they are doing their best.

Gastro Gnome 11.06.2010 11:20

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by porsch1909 (Post 841995)
It was actually a genuine question rather than an opinion. I've not been following it much and I realise it is very unfortunate.

But has BP not taken full responsibility and will pay for the full clean up (even though legislation says they don't have to) and are compensating people's income when livelihood has been affected?

The leak is in deep water and there is no precedent for closing it up, so it's all new waters and nobody knows how to close it, and as far as I can tell they are doing their best.

Even if someone takes full responsibility for something, it doesn't mean the pain goes away away . . . so obviously people will still express anger and outrage. It's no different from smaller, more personal crimes.

kiwiguy08 11.06.2010 11:20

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by porsch1909 (Post 841995)
It was actually a genuine question rather than an opinion. I've not been following it much and I realise it is very unfortunate.

But has BP not taken full responsibility and will pay for the full clean up (even though legislation says they don't have to) and are compensating people's income when livelihood has been affected?

The leak is in deep water and there is no precedent for closing it up, so it's all new waters and nobody knows how to close it, and as far as I can tell they are doing their best.

I do see your point, but causing it in the first place should never have happened. Something like this is never 100% preventable but the odds of this happening were raised much higher by BP and their drilling partner. Thats why they should now catch hell for it. Hopefully the anger stays long enough for some meaningful legislation to be put through to prevent a repeat

Gastro Gnome 11.06.2010 11:22

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
We should probably keep this thread to discussion of the BP share price . . . there's a more general thread elsewhere.

Phil_MCR 15.06.2010 18:12

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
swissquote application went in today. will probably buy some bp shares when the account is funded.

Phil_MCR 15.06.2010 18:19

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
anyone know if you can buy BP corporate debt through swissquote?

15.06.2010 18:23

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 847405)
anyone know if you can buy BP corporate debt through swissquote?

yes you can

Phil_MCR 15.06.2010 18:24

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 847410)
yes you can

do you have a link to it? not really used to the interface yet...

15.06.2010 18:26

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 847411)
do you have a link to it? not really used to the interface yet...

No, you can't link. Click "bonds" on the bottom left, then search for BP Plc and order by currency. It's an 8% one expiring end 2050.

Phil_MCR 15.06.2010 18:45

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
thanks. still unsure about BP. there seems to be massive political risk from obama's anti-brit campaign.

15.06.2010 19:08

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 847422)
thanks. still unsure about BP. there seems to be massive political risk from obama's anti-brit campaign.

Well remember you're never going to get a great deal on a company so big because knowledge about their state is so transparent, they're pretty much going to be priced accordingly. The most likely way you can benefit is if your time horizon is radically different from the market's - that is, usually, if you can wait a very long time for BP to recover.

If you can, I'd buy.

Caviarchips 15.06.2010 19:58

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 847445)
Well remember you're never going to get a great deal on a company so big because knowledge about their state is so transparent, they're pretty much going to be priced accordingly. The most likely way you can benefit is if your time horizon is radically different from the market's - that is, usually, if you can wait a very long time for BP to recover.

If you can, I'd buy.

Agree, and I was tempted too, but their US corporate reputation will suffer hugely and their sales may be affected (although retail isn't that important) AND they may become more risk averse than their competitors....

I still think its good value BUT its not risk free

15.06.2010 20:01

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caviarchips (Post 847500)
Agree, and I was tempted too, but their US corporate reputation will suffer hugely and their sales may be affected (although retail isn't that important) AND they may become more risk averse than their competitors....

I still think its good value BUT its not risk free

Far from being risk free, I'd rate the risk level pretty high for a retail investor and would certainly not commit more than 2% to 3% of your net investable wealth to BP stock.

River10 15.06.2010 20:13

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Yes, That is the right time to support a company with no leadership acting quick enough to stop this environmental mess !!!!!!

:msncrazy:

gray 15.06.2010 20:22

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Dilbert's Scott Adams reckons you should invest in BP and explains why

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...265955016.html

15.06.2010 20:26

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by River10 (Post 847512)
Yes, That is the right time to support a company with no leadership acting quick enough to stop this environmental mess !!!!!!

:msncrazy:

Well we are of course speaking about investment from a purely profit motivated standpoint. Ethical investments are unique to the individual investor, though granted most ethically motivated investors would shy away from any oil company. However I feel BP haven't put much of a step wrong, and until we see evidence that they were negligent we should really assume that this is just part of the natural risk of what they do.

Caviarchips 15.06.2010 20:41

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 847522)
However I feel BP haven't put much of a step wrong, and until we see evidence that they were negligent we should really assume that this is just part of the natural risk of what they do.

Early facts seem to suggest that it was the oversight of their operation which was wrong.....lack of safeguards on a project this deep which was signed off by the US Authorities.....could be that Obama thinks that attack is the best form of defence. I don't accept that this risk is unavoidable, but it needs to be enforced by somebody, they won't (and didn't) spend the money to reduce the risk voluntarily.....

So to return to the topic of the thread, if this is true, it supports the view that it could be a good time to buy as a long term investment

Phil_MCR 16.06.2010 00:29

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
for me the only question is how much will they have to pay for this disaster. they've already spent 1.5bn. estimates range between 5bn and 40bn.

while there is some political risk, i'm discounting it - i don't believe the US (even brit-hating obama) would do something stupid.

some argue that there is a risk of bankruptcy for BP - i'm not quite sure how their argument pans out.

anyway, i've been wanting to get exposure to oil and now looks like a chance to do so on the cheap (but with additional risk). on balance, i think the risks have been factored into the price more than enough.

i expect price will reach new low by friday, which is probably when my swissquote account will be funded :)

daveAust 16.06.2010 00:51

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
well, i dont think bp is near bankrupcy at all. they have such an huge cash flow, which is not really affected by this crisis (at least for now, because untill they have to pay, years will be gone). what will suffer is the dividend, but i think thats already priced in right now.

the other option, that someone could buy em is in my option not really realistic, especially if you take into account, that many british pension funds are invested.

option could be that you start building up your investment over the next few weeks in a few trades, because i think the next few weeks will be quite important, not only for bp, but for the market in general.

16.06.2010 21:15

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 847735)
for me the only question is how much will they have to pay for this disaster.

Depends on whether the relief wells work. That's the big unknown out there in terms of what it'll eventually cost 'em. But as others have said, it won't all have to paid at once. Even if they have to reserve $5bn a year for however long it takes to cover their eventual liabilities, they can manage that and professional investors will be able to factor that into their earnings models. Leaving aside the sabre rattling and rhetoric, I don't think anybody is going to try and bankrupt BP. It's in nobody's interests. BP is a big employer in the US and 40% of it's shareholders are American.

Midas 16.06.2010 22:04

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
If you were all to include current market (price) quotes when making predictions or giving advice, it would make this thread more interesting to read in the future. With the benefit of hindsight, it will be possible to see who was wrong and who was right.

Phil_MCR 17.06.2010 11:05

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Midas (Post 848932)
If you were all to include current market (price) quotes when making predictions or giving advice, it would make this thread more interesting to read in the future. With the benefit of hindsight, it will be possible to see who was wrong and who was right.

historical share prices are readily available.

account still not set up yet :(

share price gapped up by 7% this morning.

Dervaish 17.06.2010 11:30

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
I would be buying PetroChina Shares, not listed on FTSE though but HKSE and NASDAQ, probably NYSE too.

;)

Phil_MCR 18.06.2010 11:51

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
you snooze, you lose. account still not funded. missed out on a 10% gain :(

Phil_MCR 18.06.2010 12:25

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
account funded and shares bought. a bit annoyed that i missed the 10% gain, but there you go - serves me right for not having a trading account set-up.

Dervaish 18.06.2010 12:26

Re: Good time to buy shares in BP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 850593)
you snooze, you lose. account still not funded. missed out on a 10% gain :(

For short run its good, you can make money. I just hope you are not investing for the long term?

You sure BP can survive this? Share price does not reflect the the true feeling of the market, as BP is involved in certain practices to maintain the share price and liquidity in the market.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:37.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0