Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 05.09.2019, 18:32
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: close to the frontier
Posts: 1,018
Groaned at 141 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 597 Times in 379 Posts
Clocker has become a little unpopular
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
What if you take your cars for service to Germany and are given a loaner car from the german garage. I have seen this many times and never seen an issue
For up to 8 days it is not an issue. Declare it at a manned border (to the Swiss) upon entry.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 09.09.2019, 18:33
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,782
Groaned at 187 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 1,772 Times in 869 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

I went yesterday to the shop where I bought my glasses to get the VAT refund. However they did not ask to see my import duty receipt from the Swiss customs. So I guess I could have gotten the customs forms stamped by the German customs and then just carried on into Switzerland without bothering to pay the import tax - or am I missing something here?
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 09.09.2019, 18:43
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Zürich
Posts: 826
Groaned at 79 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 1,049 Times in 526 Posts
YuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
I went yesterday to the shop where I bought my glasses to get the VAT refund. However they did not ask to see my import duty receipt from the Swiss customs. So I guess I could have gotten the customs forms stamped by the German customs and then just carried on into Switzerland without bothering to pay the import tax - or am I missing something here?
In general the Germans won't care wherever you paid Swiss duty.

Must have been expensive glasses (considering German prices!), though, since till 300 CHF it's all free on the Swiss import side..
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 09.09.2019, 18:52
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,782
Groaned at 187 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 1,772 Times in 869 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
In general the Germans won't care wherever you paid Swiss duty.

Must have been expensive glasses (considering German prices!), though, since till 300 CHF it's all free on the Swiss import side..

Yes, the glasses cost me over 1500 euro
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 27.09.2019, 14:51
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 11,111
Groaned at 85 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 16,866 Times in 7,507 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
I went yesterday to the shop where I bought my glasses to get the VAT refund. However they did not ask to see my import duty receipt from the Swiss customs. So I guess I could have gotten the customs forms stamped by the German customs and then just carried on into Switzerland without bothering to pay the import tax - or am I missing something here?
Yes you miss something. The telephone line from German customs to Swiss customs. It is known that they give each other tips about incoming goods which might be smuggled.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #86  
Old 27.09.2019, 18:59
starmir's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kanton Zurich
Posts: 381
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 370 Times in 165 Posts
starmir has an excellent reputationstarmir has an excellent reputationstarmir has an excellent reputationstarmir has an excellent reputation
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Tip of the day... don't go and first pay your swiss tax and get your receipt swiss stamp before you go to the German Border guy to get his stamp...

They get VERY grumpy those germans

(he did stamp but gave me a germanical telling off - it was for my new winter tyres I had just bought and got fitted over there)
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 27.09.2019, 19:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 6,557
Groaned at 394 Times in 323 Posts
Thanked 7,604 Times in 3,790 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
Tip of the day... don't go and first pay your swiss tax and get your receipt swiss stamp before you go to the German Border guy to get his stamp...

They get VERY grumpy those germans

(he did stamp but gave me a germanical telling off - it was for my new winter tyres I had just bought and got fitted over there)
Well yeah, you first have to export before you can import :P
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #88  
Old 27.09.2019, 20:00
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 11,111
Groaned at 85 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 16,866 Times in 7,507 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
Well yeah, you first have to export before you can import :P
More like: You can't export when you already did the import.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 21.10.2019, 21:33
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,782
Groaned at 187 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 1,772 Times in 869 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
I went yesterday to the shop where I bought my glasses to get the VAT refund. However they did not ask to see my import duty receipt from the Swiss customs. So I guess I could have gotten the customs forms stamped by the German customs and then just carried on into Switzerland without bothering to pay the import tax - or am I missing something here?
Last Friday I got a letter from the Swiss customs asking me for a copy of the receipt of the import duties I paid on my glasses. They had been informed by the German customs that I had requested a refund. I have actually lost the receipt and had paid the duties in cash but luckily they were able to find a record of my payment after I told them which customer post I had paid at and on what date and time. So it is indeed important to pay the Swiss import duty as they are informed of goods being imported by the German customs.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Dack Rambo for this useful post:
  #90  
Old 21.10.2019, 22:12
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 223
Groaned at 23 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
mike_n has annoyed a few people around heremike_n has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
Last Friday I got a letter from the Swiss customs asking me for a copy of the receipt of the import duties I paid on my glasses. They had been informed by the German customs that I had requested a refund. I have actually lost the receipt and had paid the duties in cash but luckily they were able to find a record of my payment after I told them which customer post I had paid at and on what date and time. So it is indeed important to pay the Swiss import duty as they are informed of goods being imported by the German customs.
This would be something new.

If it's true, probably it's not the German customs as they don't seem to keep a record. So it must be the shop where you bought the glasses. Or some German institution. Still I find it hard to believe...
Reply With Quote
This user groans at mike_n for this post:
  #91  
Old 21.10.2019, 22:20
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,782
Groaned at 187 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 1,772 Times in 869 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
This would be something new.

If it's true, probably it's not the German customs as they don't seem to keep a record. So it must be the shop where you bought the glasses. Or some German institution. Still I find it hard to believe...
I got a letter from the Swiss customs saying that the German customs had given them this information!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Dack Rambo for this useful post:
  #92  
Old 22.10.2019, 22:08
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 223
Groaned at 23 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
mike_n has annoyed a few people around heremike_n has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
I got a letter from the Swiss customs saying that the German customs had given them this information!
Did the Swiss customs send you the amount you spend together with some document or just a letter without detailed information?

When I get the stamp from the German customs they just give the documents a quick glance, there is no way they get all the details or make a copy of the document

Another possibility is that the shop where you bought the glasses sent directly the information to the Swiss customs. We are talking about handing client data to another state. This ought to be illegal

A third possibility is that the German state centralizes the data from the shops and sends it to CH. Maybe but I am not aware of such an agreement. And given the effort to implement the automatic exchange of financial information, I really doubt such an agreement is in place.

And a fourth possibility is that someone reported your shopping. I remember I read an article about Swiss customs using detectives. I think this was related to expensive items and getting the client data based on car plates, which can be found out online in most cantons
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 22.10.2019, 23:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 6,557
Groaned at 394 Times in 323 Posts
Thanked 7,604 Times in 3,790 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Stores have to declare to whom they sold when claiming back the VAT, so the German government has all the info needed. Lets not forget that there is also fraud going on where people "export" things, but in reality the goods return to or stay in Germany and never get declared in Switzerland and it is just an easy way of getting some extra bucks with friends or family.

Germany could ask Switzerland if goods have been imported, if not than Germany could take the position that the goods never have been exported (if they have not been brought into any other country they surely must still be in Germany..) and deny a refund.

Importing/exporting is a tax issue, expecting that country's don't try to check on this as much as they deem needed is naive.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 23.10.2019, 20:36
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 223
Groaned at 23 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
mike_n has annoyed a few people around heremike_n has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
Stores have to declare to whom they sold when claiming back the VAT, so the German government has all the info needed. Lets not forget that there is also fraud going on where people "export" things, but in reality the goods return to or stay in Germany and never get declared in Switzerland and it is just an easy way of getting some extra bucks with friends or family.

Germany could ask Switzerland if goods have been imported, if not than Germany could take the position that the goods never have been exported (if they have not been brought into any other country they surely must still be in Germany..) and deny a refund.

Importing/exporting is a tax issue, expecting that country's don't try to check on this as much as they deem needed is naive.
Indeed Germany could, but it would be of no use. The lack of evidence on the Swiss side doesn't necessarily mean that the good wasn't imported into Switzerland. Furthermore the Swiss customs have no records. You can even pay cash or using the Swiss customs app - no personal data required. In this case the Swiss customs should require an invoice for each transaction reported by Germans. Customs paid or not paid.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 23.10.2019, 22:19
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,782
Groaned at 187 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 1,772 Times in 869 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

I paid cash and the Swiss customs were able to trace the payment.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 23.10.2019, 23:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 6,557
Groaned at 394 Times in 323 Posts
Thanked 7,604 Times in 3,790 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
Indeed Germany could, but it would be of no use. The lack of evidence on the Swiss side doesn't necessarily mean that the good wasn't imported into Switzerland. Furthermore the Swiss customs have no records. You can even pay cash or using the Swiss customs app - no personal data required. In this case the Swiss customs should require an invoice for each transaction reported by Germans. Customs paid or not paid.
They keep track of transactions, it is tax money, they are not just going to throw it in some anonymous bucket. I have paid cash and always got a receipt.

And even if so. The burden of proof is on the consumer/importer, not on customs.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 24.10.2019, 20:58
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 223
Groaned at 23 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
mike_n has annoyed a few people around heremike_n has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
They keep track of transactions, it is tax money, they are not just going to throw it in some anonymous bucket. I have paid cash and always got a receipt.

And even if so. The burden of proof is on the consumer/importer, not on customs.
If you pay using the app (quickzoll), there is no ID required. I remember paying by cash and I don't think they asked for an ID or even make a copy of the forms.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 24.10.2019, 20:59
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 223
Groaned at 23 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
mike_n has annoyed a few people around heremike_n has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
I paid cash and the Swiss customs were able to trace the payment.
How do you think this worked?
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 24.10.2019, 21:19
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 11,490
Groaned at 173 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 16,401 Times in 6,677 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
.... We are talking about handing client data to another state. This ought to be illegal...
Only if the law says so. If two countries decide to amend their laws so it's not just legal, it's mandatory, what are you going to do?
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 24.10.2019, 21:23
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 223
Groaned at 23 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
mike_n has annoyed a few people around heremike_n has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
Only if the law says so. If two countries decide to amend their laws so it's not just legal, it's mandatory, what are you going to do?
Only that in this case there is no agreement.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
export, mwst, zoll




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reclaiming German MWST adrianlondon Finance/banking/taxation 75 20.06.2015 11:39
Claiming UK VAT back kamuk Housing in general 2 04.08.2009 22:33
claiming VAT back from Netherlands juice99 Finance/banking/taxation 3 04.08.2009 17:56
claiming back the VAT MariV Finance/banking/taxation 3 25.07.2009 22:27
Claiming taxes back (is this possible?) canadian.in.zurich Daily life 1 26.01.2008 15:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0