Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.07.2007, 17:27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xarasilver has no particular reputation at present
Double Tax Treaty with the UK

Hi all,

My apologies if this subject has already been handled.

I have an offer for a six-month+ "contract" in Switzerland. In reality, I will go on the payroll for this purpose and taxes will be deducted at source.

My understanding is that my UK limited company will simply be dormant during this period and I will not be liable for tax back in the UK on any Swiss earnings.

Does anyone know if this thinking is correct, if there are any caveats etc. (for example suppose the budget was cut and with it, me)...

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.07.2007, 18:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Luzern currently
Posts: 2,565
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 720 Times in 373 Posts
Richard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Double Tax Treaty with the UK

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

My apologies if this subject has already been handled.

I have an offer for a six-month+ "contract" in Switzerland. In reality, I will go on the payroll for this purpose and taxes will be deducted at source.

My understanding is that my UK limited company will simply be dormant during this period and I will not be liable for tax back in the UK on any Swiss earnings.

Does anyone know if this thinking is correct, if there are any caveats etc. (for example suppose the budget was cut and with it, me)...

Thanks for any help!
Your uk limited company while associated with you stands on its own. If you are not billing through your uk company then there are no tax liabilities subsequently related to your earnings in Switzerland. What is however interesting is the go on the payroll for this purpose statement. Whose payroll? An agents? If so then maybe you are being badly advised... see other posts in other threads
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06.07.2007, 19:46
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Double Tax Treaty with the UK

Quote:
View Post
Your uk limited company while associated with you stands on its own. If you are not billing through your uk company then there are no tax liabilities subsequently related to your earnings in Switzerland.
But a personal UK tax return will have to be completed at the end of March and the foreign earnings will have to be declared and the taxes paid will be declared as a deduction - unless you deregister for tax but if it's only for 6 months it's maybe not worth the bother.

The double tax treaty will apply but it is possible that, UK tax being higher, there will be some personal liability.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06.07.2007, 20:11
Blonaybear's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Blonay
Posts: 1,593
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 836 Times in 432 Posts
Blonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Double Tax Treaty with the UK

HM Revenue have a good site where you can find a lot of info - here.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.07.2007, 15:44
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xarasilver has no particular reputation at present
Re: Double Tax Treaty with the UK

Thanks all for your replies.

Well, putting some numbers on this: if I earn a gross of 18000CHF/month. If I then keep about 12.5-13.5CHF/month, depending on pension contributions, choice of living location, etc. etc. That's about 30% tax.

Assuming also that I don't want to lose my tax-residency in the UK (I certainly have no intention of doing this at the moment).

Am I looking at a possibility of paying another 10% of everything I earn in Switzerland back to the IR? (I guess it's also slightly dodgy vis-a-vis IR35 to switch to what is effectively permanent employment for this brief period, although I can put the argument that the client/skills are interesting enough to make this worthwhile as a temporary arrangement).

Finally, in response to Richard: I think going with the agency is the only practical solution at the moment because I am very much going to Switzerland on a 'try before you buy' basis at the moment; I have many reservations.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.07.2007, 15:51
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Double Tax Treaty with the UK

Quote:
View Post
Assuming also that I don't want to lose my tax-residency in the UK (I certainly have no intention of doing this at the moment).

Am I looking at a possibility of paying another 10% of everything I earn in Switzerland back to the IR?
If you are tax resident in the UK then you fill in a UK tax return, declare your gross foreign earnings, declare the tax paid in Switzerland as a deduction, and wait for the bill.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax form numbers for US tax returns colors General off-topic 1 16.10.2006 02:53


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0