Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 22.02.2011, 09:21
J_T's Avatar
J_T J_T is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: near Bern
Posts: 1,080
Groaned at 20 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,175 Times in 523 Posts
J_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Eating 100% organic/additive free. Do you do this or are you considering it?

...let's not forget the secondary, or maybe it is a primary effect of "bio" - the return of wildlife, birds, bees, butterflies and up and down the whole food chain of nature. So much has been destroyed through the indiscriminate use of pesticides, fertilizers and chemicals, it's criminal. The return of wildlife in the last few years, since bio and other controls of what gets used in our food production, is noticeable.

We buy bio and read the labels on what we buy, don't eat meat either, and I am sure we are healthier and feel healthier for it. It's not a moral, ethical, political or religious question, just plain realistic.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank J_T for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 22.02.2011, 09:31
33foxglove's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: zug
Posts: 215
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 81 Times in 55 Posts
33foxglove has made some interesting contributions
Re: Eating 100% organic/additive free. Do you do this or are you considering it?

Quote:
View Post
I think there are many notions that get happily mixed up in this thread... at least 3:
  • Pesticides-free, aka organic
  • additives-free
  • heritage-breeds, full maturation, local food, non-genetically modified
Most posts battle against the first point; and indeed, IMHO many of the arguments against pesticides can be dispelled. It remains that some pesticides are worse than others, and as consumers we cannot choose and pick. Some natural ones can be worse than the chemical solution, more expensive, more damaging.
I agree with your analysis of what is being discussed here but definitely disagree with your take on pesticides. There is sufficient evidence that points to the true dangers of pesticides in particular with Roundup which is now one of the most widely used pesticides around the world. In my opinion Europe made the right move to ban GMO foods considering they are mainly designed to be roundup resistant.


If you have an hour this is a very informative video on the subject.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 22.02.2011, 11:00
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Eating 100% organic/additive free. Do you do this or are you considering it?

Quote:
View Post
I think there are many notions that get happily mixed up in this thread... at least 3:
  • Pesticides-free, aka organic
  • additives-free
  • heritage-breeds, full maturation, local food, non-genetically modified

Most posts battle against the first point; and indeed, IMHO many of the arguments against pesticides can be dispelled. It remains that some pesticides are worse than others, and as consumers we cannot choose and pick. Some natural ones can be worse than the chemical solution, more expensive, more damaging.
In the whole of this argument, i always think it is odd how blind people can become about food ingredients. Girls, just as a test , go and have a look in your make up bag, and start googling the what is contained in moisturiser, lipstick, foundations etc
You're hyper sensitive what you would eat , but when it comes to sticking it in the larges organ of the body, different rules apply .....
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 22.02.2011, 11:21
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Eating 100% organic/additive free. Do you do this or are you considering it?

Quote:
View Post
In the whole of this argument, i always think it is odd how blind people can become about food ingredients. Girls, just as a test , go and have a look in your make up bag, and start googling the what is contained in moisturiser, lipstick, foundations etc
You're hyper sensitive what you would eat , but when it comes to sticking it in the larges organ of the body, different rules apply .....
There are also natural cosmetics, for example the Weleda range.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 22.02.2011, 11:24
33foxglove's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: zug
Posts: 215
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 81 Times in 55 Posts
33foxglove has made some interesting contributions
Re: Eating 100% organic/additive free. Do you do this or are you considering it?

Quote:
View Post
In the whole of this argument, i always think it is odd how blind people can become about food ingredients. Girls, just as a test , go and have a look in your make up bag, and start googling the what is contained in moisturiser, lipstick, foundations etc
You're hyper sensitive what you would eat , but when it comes to sticking it in the larges organ of the body, different rules apply .....

It isn't necessarily so...there is a large movement towards PBA free and natural cosmetics. What one needs to be careful about is how some products are marketed as "Natural". There are too many cosmetic companies jumping on this marketing bonanza so its "buyer beware" read the labels and make up your own mind.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 22.02.2011, 12:01
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Eating 100% organic/additive free. Do you do this or are you considering it?

Quote:
View Post
There are also natural cosmetics, for example the Weleda range.
Quote:
View Post
It isn't necessarily so...there is a large movement towards PBA free and natural cosmetics. What one needs to be careful about is how some products are marketed as "Natural". There are too many cosmetic companies jumping on this marketing bonanza so its "buyer beware" read the labels and make up your own mind.
There's no denying that some chemicals are harmful, however, "natural" products can also do more harm than good when used in the wrong situation.

e.g. Using olive oil on skin. Olive oil degrades the skin massively, much more so than mineral oils (i.e. petrolium-derived oils), but seeing as cosmetic research tends to only be "skin deep" as it were, you don't hear much about it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #47  
Old 22.02.2011, 22:18
33foxglove's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: zug
Posts: 215
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 81 Times in 55 Posts
33foxglove has made some interesting contributions
Re: Eating 100% organic/additive free. Do you do this or are you considering it?

Quote:
View Post
e.g. Using olive oil on skin. Olive oil degrades the skin massively, much more so than mineral oils (i.e. petrolium-derived oils), but seeing as cosmetic research tends to only be "skin deep" as it were, you don't hear much about it.
I've never heard of such a thing. Perhaps you could expand upon this issue with some more indepth research to support such claims of massive degradation of the skin. I'm open to learning more.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unusual things you have noticed vikram_bhatt7 General off-topic 21 11.11.2010 14:42
Increased crime in Basel...have you noticed it ? BaselLife Daily life 18 27.04.2009 16:23
[Noticed a lot of] Graffiti Alan Hill Complaints corner 73 12.09.2008 15:49
Someone has finally noticed Guest Swiss politics/news 15 28.01.2008 09:37
Just noticed timestamp of messages is + 1 hour off Jonathan_hughes76 Forum support 6 08.12.2007 01:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0