Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11.04.2011, 21:12
yasmina
 
Posts: n/a
Dandelion Wine

Seen many many dandelions this year and have been thinking of making wine.

So... has anyone made Dandelion Wine before? If so, do you have a good recipe to share or any tips or advice?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 11.04.2011, 21:45
M. Ploymi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GE
Posts: 925
Groaned at 34 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 810 Times in 356 Posts
M. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dandelion Wine

Would also be really interested in trying! Good idea!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11.04.2011, 21:53
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,382
Groaned at 165 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 8,565 Times in 3,176 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dandelion Wine

I made dandelion wine years ago - the recipes here are similar to what I used to do:

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/dandelion.asp

I guess the challenge will be finding decent home winemaking kit in CH - I used to buy all my gear at Boots the chemist; demijohns, airlocks, stoppers, ciphons etc etc. Also, you will need stuff like sodium metabisulphite for sterilising everything.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Nick
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 11.04.2011, 22:14
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,516
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dandelion Wine

Looks pretty complicated, and there's amazingly little dandelion stuff in most of those recipes. I think I'll stick to making my traditional dandelion bread spread, a.k.a. dandelion honey, although, of course, it's not a real honey in that it's not made by bees but by an old chap. Dandelion petals, sugar, water and a lemon is all I need.

I can still sip a nice Bordeaux while stirring. Kicks in much faster and can get me just as plastered.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 11.04.2011, 22:26
M. Ploymi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GE
Posts: 925
Groaned at 34 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 810 Times in 356 Posts
M. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dandelion Wine

Quote:
View Post
Looks pretty complicated, and there's amazingly little dandelion stuff in most of those recipes. I think I'll stick to making my traditional dandelion bread spread, a.k.a. dandelion honey, although, of course, it's not a real honey in that it's not made by bees but by an old chap. Dandelion petals, sugar, water and a lemon is all I need.

I can still sip a nice Bordeaux while stirring. Kicks in much faster and can get me just as plastered.
CG, mind sharing your dandelion "honey" recipe in more detail, i.e. for the cook that requires approx measures and methods, or a website with such? Would be very grateful!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12.04.2011, 00:11
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,516
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dandelion Wine

Quote:
View Post
CG, mind sharing your dandelion "honey" recipe in more detail, i.e. for the cook that requires approx measures and methods, or a website with such? Would be very grateful!!
Shall do that in a separate thread, but right now I'm way too busy, attending a board meeting across the Atlantic via video conference. And the rest of the week doesn't look very good either.

I'll keep you posted, ok? I hope there are still enough dandelions around till then. I harvest mine in the Engadine, where they bloom much later.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12.04.2011, 08:36
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,375
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,703 Times in 3,747 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dandelion Wine

Quote:
View Post
I made dandelion wine years ago - the recipes here are similar to what I used to do:

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/dandelion.asp

I guess the challenge will be finding decent home winemaking kit in CH - I used to buy all my gear at Boots the chemist; demijohns, airlocks, stoppers, ciphons etc etc. Also, you will need stuff like sodium metabisulphite for sterilising everything.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Nick
I get my stuff from Landi, they have generaly quite a good selection of kit.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 12.04.2011, 08:42
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,382
Groaned at 165 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 8,565 Times in 3,176 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dandelion Wine

Do they sell beer brewing kit too?

Last time I went to a Landi it was to buy mouse traps after my bike saddlebags got rifled when I was doing the local Vita Parcours. Must have a closer look next time.

Cheers,
Nick

Quote:
View Post
I get my stuff from Landi, they have generaly quite a good selection of kit.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12.04.2011, 09:16
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,375
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,703 Times in 3,747 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dandelion Wine

Quote:
View Post
Do they sell beer brewing kit too?

Last time I went to a Landi it was to buy mouse traps after my bike saddlebags got rifled when I was doing the local Vita Parcours. Must have a closer look next time.

Cheers,
Nick
Not too sure that they stock dedicated beer kits, but I got my brewing stuff from there.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12.04.2011, 10:06
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,516
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dandelion Wine

Quote:
View Post
CG, mind sharing your dandelion "honey" recipe in more detail, i.e. for the cook that requires approx measures and methods, or a website with such? Would be very grateful!!
Quote:
View Post
Shall do that in a separate thread, but right now I'm way too busy, attending a board meeting across the Atlantic via video conference. And the rest of the week doesn't look very good either.

I'll keep you posted, ok? I hope there are still enough dandelions around till then. I harvest mine in the Engadine, where they bloom much later.
Here it is: Dandelion Honey.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 12.04.2011, 10:25
M. Ploymi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GE
Posts: 925
Groaned at 34 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 810 Times in 356 Posts
M. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dandelion Wine

Quote:
View Post
Here it is: Dandelion Honey.
Thanks CG, you're a legend!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank M. Ploymi for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 12.04.2011, 10:52
Starald's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rheinfelden
Posts: 44
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 85 Times in 20 Posts
Starald has earned the respect of manyStarald has earned the respect of manyStarald has earned the respect of many
Re: Dandelion Wine

Now this is something that brings back good memories and puts a smile on my face. My first ever glass of "real" wine was dandelion wine made by my grandmother. I was very young at the time, so a very small glass was all I had, but it tasted great (which in retrospect probably means it was very sweet) and the memory still stays with me.

I don't have the recipe she used, but I do remember that it required an immense amount of dandelion flowers...
However from what we saw on our bike ride along the Aegerisee this weekend, the hills are practically painted yellow with flowers at the moment, so picking enough should be quick and easy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Starald for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 12.04.2011, 11:11
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,516
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dandelion Wine

Quote:
View Post
Thanks CG, you're a legend!!
Not yet.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04.05.2011, 16:45
yasmina
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Dandelion Wine

Quote:
View Post
I get my stuff from Landi, they have generaly quite a good selection of kit.
Could I ask, did you get wine yeast from there? I called them up, and they said they don't sell it...

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dandelion, wine




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dandelion Jelly Recipe Sparrowgirl Food and drink 16 17.04.2010 15:04
Moevenpick Wine Zug. Free wine tasting day. grumpygrapefruit Commercial events 0 08.03.2010 12:50
dandelion coffee Carrie Food and drink 18 03.05.2006 23:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0