Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 17.08.2011, 15:08
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Quote:
View Post
I visited the *new* shopping centre a year or so ago in Bern. It had a Migros and a Globus. In fact it had nothing that I had not seen in other small towns. Certainly not a destination shopping experience. In fact, it was crap.

AYB
Shopping generally is crap, no matter where you go. I have more interesting things to do with my time and that's why I try to do the shopping in a way that inflicts the least pain.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #82  
Old 17.08.2011, 15:15
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Quote:
View Post
I visited the *new* shopping centre a year or so ago in Bern. It had a Migros and a Globus. In fact it had nothing that I had not seen in other small towns. Certainly not a destination shopping experience. In fact, it was crap.

AYB
Exactly my point. Boring stores...nothing that may attract the masses and what's worse, no shopping on Sundays.

Quote:
View Post
Not really true, most shopping centers I've been to all over the world have a department store including a food section, pretty similar to the MMMs you see in Swiss(erland)
A food section yes...but not a whole assortment of products. Mind you, we're talking about an upscale mall.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #83  
Old 17.08.2011, 15:16
simon_ch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,390
Groaned at 128 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,377 Posts
simon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Quote:
View Post
Shopping generally is crap, no matter where you go. I have more interesting things to do with my time and that's why I try to do the shopping in a way that inflicts the least pain.
I generally agree, but beg to differ in the case of Asia. I'm shopophobic(sic) but there are some great markets, shopping centers which can entertain me for several hours without me having to shop anything. But I won't deny that shopping centers here are awful and probably worse than anywhere else due to a lack of diversity and entertainment.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank simon_ch for this useful post:
  #84  
Old 17.08.2011, 15:31
Caviarchips's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 3,979
Groaned at 99 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,388 Posts
Caviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Quote:
View Post
But I won't deny that shopping centers here are awful and probably worse than anywhere else due to a lack of diversity and entertainment.
The much vaunted Bern Westside is a huge missed opportunity.....no "destination" stores at all.....why would anybody travel outside town to visit Globus or Migros when you can do the same thing in town?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Caviarchips for this useful post:
  #85  
Old 17.08.2011, 15:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Quote:
View Post
I visited the *new* shopping centre a year or so ago in Bern. It had a Migros and a Globus. In fact it had nothing that I had not seen in other small towns. Certainly not a destination shopping experience. In fact, it was crap.

AYB
If you are ever down in the Ticino, dip into Foxtown in Mendrisio. We went there a few weeks ago, and admittedly they did have a sale on even their outlet prices, but I picked up some absolute bargains (NorthFace waterproof for CHF 180 which I'd seen for CHF 540 on t'internet (US site) ) plus lots of shoes from good makes (Bally, etc.).

Had to be dragged away kicking and screaming...
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 17.08.2011, 15:40
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,726
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,915 Times in 3,646 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Quote:
View Post
I visited the *new* shopping centre a year or so ago in Bern. It had a Migros and a Globus. In fact it had nothing that I had not seen in other small towns. Certainly not a destination shopping experience. In fact, it was crap.
And there lies the problem with Stücki. It doesn't contain much other than what is already in town. And for most people it's harder to get to than town, it's not a particular pleasant place to be.

Once the novelty wore off, Stücki was always nearly empty whenever I've been.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #87  
Old 17.08.2011, 15:49
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Quote:
View Post
And there lies the problem with Stücki. It doesn't contain much other than what is already in town. And for most people it's harder to get to than town, it's not a particular pleasant place to be.

Once the novelty wore off, Stücki was always nearly empty whenever I've been.
But what are you expecting? The only shops that are really worth going out of the way for are things like second-hand bookshops, antiques shops, handcraft and hobby shops etc, ie shops that are genuinely unique and where you can still genunely find stuff that you can't get on the Internet. But that type of shop doesn't make sufficient profit to afford the rent in a shopping centre. Only the run of the mill chains can afford it there. Therefore there is no reason to go.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #88  
Old 17.08.2011, 15:54
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Quote:
View Post
Once the novelty wore off, Stücki was always nearly empty whenever I've been.
Plus, if you're going to go all the way to Stucki you might as well continue over the border to Germany. Stucki is depressing. When I first arrived in Basel I stayed two nights at the hotel there. On the odd occasion Stucki is actually open outside of office hours, it was deserted. It was genuinely depressing to walk around.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #89  
Old 17.08.2011, 15:54
colinwheeler's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gersau
Posts: 998
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 872 Times in 440 Posts
colinwheeler has a reputation beyond reputecolinwheeler has a reputation beyond reputecolinwheeler has a reputation beyond reputecolinwheeler has a reputation beyond reputecolinwheeler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Quote:
View Post
The only shops that are really worth going out of the way for are things like second-hand bookshops, antiques shops, handcraft and hobby shops etc, ie shops that are genuinely unique and where you can still genunely find stuff that you can't get on the Internet. But that type of shop doesn't make sufficient profit to afford the rent in a shopping centre.
And let us be thankful for that. It would ruin those shops if they were to all go to shopping centres.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank colinwheeler for this useful post:
  #90  
Old 17.08.2011, 15:56
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,726
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,915 Times in 3,646 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Quote:
View Post
But what are you expecting? The only shops that are really worth going out of the way for are things like second-hand bookshops, antiques shops, handcraft and hobby shops etc, ie shops that are genuinely unique and where you can still genunely find stuff that you can't get on the Internet. But that type of shop doesn't make sufficient profit to afford the rent in a shopping centre. Only the run of the mill chains can afford it there. Therefore there is no reason to go.
I don't disagree with you.

I can't speak for everywhere, but where I lived the malls succeeded because they were a much better option than the local town centre. They had bigger shops and lots of them and often incorporated some form of entertainment. And in a car-oriented country they were easier to get to and park.

Stüki misses out on all these points.

I'm on the fence whether that's a pity or not. I'd rather they'd spent that money extending the tram up to Marktkauf so I could easily have a different shopping experience.
__________________
Nothing of value kept in this post overnight.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #91  
Old 17.08.2011, 16:01
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Quote:
View Post
I'd rather they'd spent that money extending the tram up to Marktkauf so I could easily have a different shopping experience.
It's being built. They've laid the tracks to the bridge and are currently working on widening that.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #92  
Old 17.08.2011, 16:02
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 199
Groaned at 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 219 Times in 81 Posts
AhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputation
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Let me make it easy for you.

What is the value of my holding ? Does it justify my time ? Do I really care about Migros ?

1) Never been notified but presumably I am a minority shareholder
2) Highly unlikely
3) I am a consumer, I care about consumer value and not getting ripped off by a protectionist system. I don't give a shit about Migros as a touchy-feely institution.

AYB

PS: Anyone can start a charity and perhaps become rich doing so while benefiting from the tax breaks.

Quote:
View Post
And that's why you don't speak up at the shareholder meeting?
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 17.08.2011, 16:02
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Another problem in Switzerland is location management and the overall buerocracy in setting up something new without anybody getting their panties in a twist. If it were up to me, I'd tear down 50% of all the ugly buidlings and replace them with new, efficient taller edifices. Incorporate a monorail and join streets together in order to create more, wider one way roads for an optimized traffic flow....but this all is highly unlikely to happen here in Switzerland, because everybody who's got something to say has their head stuck back in the 70s with the notion, that Switzerland is leading the way into the 21st century whilst failing to realize that their actions are taking the country back to the 19th century.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 17.08.2011, 16:04
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,726
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,915 Times in 3,646 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Quote:
View Post
Plus, if you're going to go all the way to Stucki you might as well continue over the border to Germany.
Yeah, but I'm a lazy bugger and it's a bit of a walk - and there's no pub until you get there.

What I need is one of your foolproof guides to catching the German bus from Kleinhunigen.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #95  
Old 17.08.2011, 16:08
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 199
Groaned at 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 219 Times in 81 Posts
AhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputation
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

I assume you mean Shopping in Switzerland generally is crap which I agree with. Else you derive no fun from shopping as a pastime. In which case I wonder about your enthusiasm for attending retailer "shareholder meetings"...

AYB


Quote:
View Post
Shopping generally is crap, no matter where you go. I have more interesting things to do with my time and that's why I try to do the shopping in a way that inflicts the least pain.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 17.08.2011, 16:08
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, but I'm a lazy bugger and it's a bit of a walk - and there's no pub until you get there.

What I need is one of your foolproof guides to catching the German bus from Kleinhunigen.
You first need to fly from Basel airport to Freiburg airport ...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #97  
Old 17.08.2011, 16:43
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Quote:
View Post
I assume you mean Shopping in Switzerland generally is crap which I agree with. Else you derive no fun from shopping as a pastime. In which case I wonder about your enthusiasm for attending retailer "shareholder meetings"...

AYB
I don't attend those shareholder meetings. But that's because I can't be pi**ed. However, if I felt strongly about it I feel my energy would be better invested going to the meetings and ranting there and getting some answers from the people who actually have the power to change something rather than ranting on the EF and hoping that that will somehow magically make things happen.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 17.08.2011, 16:49
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Quote:
View Post
I assume you mean Shopping in Switzerland generally is crap
Shopping anywhere is crap. Okay, as Simon_CH says, if you're on vacation in some exotic place it may be refreshing to see the different types of item on offer. But I'm sure that if I lived there and had that every day I'd get used to it and find it dull. Shopping is a means to an end. I need to buy stuff so I can eat. I don't get a kick out of it. If I want to be entertained I go somewhere else and do something else. I know some people consider shopping a source of entertainment but stuff stacked on shelves is not entertaining to me. If it was I'd spend more time in my basement.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #99  
Old 17.08.2011, 16:54
simon_ch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,390
Groaned at 128 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,377 Posts
simon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

Quote:
View Post
Let me make it easy for you.

What is the value of my holding ? Does it justify my time ? Do I really care about Migros ?

1) Never been notified but presumably I am a minority shareholder
2) Highly unlikely
3) I am a consumer, I care about consumer value and not getting ripped off by a protectionist system. I don't give a shit about Migros as a touchy-feely institution.

AYB

PS: Anyone can start a charity and perhaps become rich doing so while benefiting from the tax breaks.
So in short you're like every other consumer and hence the prices are and remain too high.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank simon_ch for this useful post:
  #100  
Old 17.08.2011, 16:56
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 199
Groaned at 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 219 Times in 81 Posts
AhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputation
Re: Coop to stop selling some product lines

I am surprised you find the time for campaigning issues about which you feel strongly in between thousands of banal postings on EF.

AYB

Quote:
View Post
I don't attend those shareholder meetings. But that's because I can't be pi**ed. However, if I felt strongly about it I feel my energy would be better invested going to the meetings and ranting there and getting some answers from the people who actually have the power to change something rather than ranting on the EF and hoping that that will somehow magically make things happen.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New expecting mum needing some guide lines from "professional mums"! carloncha Family matters/health 26 14.06.2011 14:48
Coop are selling Quality Street Sutter Food and drink 40 14.12.2010 15:48


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0