English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Food and drink (https://www.englishforum.ch/food-drink/)
-   -   Greek yoghurt anyone? (https://www.englishforum.ch/food-drink/125852-greek-yoghurt-anyone.html)

Rach_UK 18.09.2011 15:34

Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
Hey fellow foodies :),

Does anyone know where you can buy Greek/ greek style yoghurt in Zurich? I've tried Coop, Migros, Lidl and Aldi but to no avail!

Thanks,

Rach x

Crumbs 18.09.2011 15:45

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
Looks like this in Migros - unless this is Swiss-Greek or something strange:

http://www.leshop.ch/images/ProductsHigh/49990.JPG

Dougal's Breakfast 18.09.2011 16:02

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
There's a Greek grocery store in the Niederdorf district, on Brunngasse, opposite the world music shop.

Otherwise, most Turkish shops will sell something similar.

Look for 'Total', by Fage:

http://assets4.blogher.com/files/Total-Fage-cup.gif

Heather4 18.09.2011 16:16

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
Have seen Total Greek youghurt in larger coops.

gata 18.09.2011 16:20

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumbs (Post 1343315)
Looks like this in Migros - unless this is Swiss-Greek or something strange:

http://www.leshop.ch/images/ProductsHigh/49990.JPG


Unfortunately this is not good enough. I tried it and im Cypriot so i know what the OP wants

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather4 (Post 1343336)
Have seen Total Greek youghurt in larger coops.

Not anymore they dont :(

Captain Greybeard 18.09.2011 16:27

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumbs (Post 1343315)
Looks like this in Migros - unless this is Swiss-Greek or something strange:

http://www.leshop.ch/images/ProductsHigh/49990.JPG

If my memory serves me well, despite the stupid, totally un-Greek brand name it is made in Greece. However, as most so called Greek yoghurt sold to dumb strangers, it's ordinary yoghurt with some cream added, miles away from the real, very rich home-made thing you get in little Greek bars and the like.

18.09.2011 16:48

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougal's Breakfast (Post 1343324)
There's a Greek grocery store in the Niederdorf district, on Brunngasse, opposite the world music shop.

Otherwise, most Turkish shops will sell something similar.

Look for 'Total', by Fage:

http://assets4.blogher.com/files/Total-Fage-cup.gif

It's called Labis and they also have a store by the Fisherweg tram stop. I get Total from them regularly. They also have a Greek deli with salads and sandwiches

edot 18.09.2011 17:08

Coop used to carry total, but now they carry just their own brand.

I've not found total in migros, but last I checked (a few weeks ago) you could get it via delivery from le-shop.

CB1 18.09.2011 18:14

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rach_UK (Post 1343311)
Hey fellow foodies :),

Does anyone know where you can buy Greek/ greek style yoghurt in Zurich? I've tried Coop, Migros, Lidl and Aldi but to no avail!

Thanks,

Rach x

You can get it the Total brand showing in the picture above at both Globus and Jelomi. I think it is 2.20 a single serving and if memory serves correctly Jelmoi sells larger containers as well.

I know 2.20 is alot but it often goes on sale.

18.09.2011 18:34

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by edot (Post 1343361)
Coop used to carry total, but now they carry just their own brand.

I've not found total in migros, but last I checked (a few weeks ago) you could get it via delivery from le-shop.

yeah leshop.ch has it, regular, fat free, lower fat and with honey.

Captain Greybeard 18.09.2011 18:59

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 1343474)
yeah leshop.ch has it, regular, fat free, lower fat and with honey.

Fat-free Greek yoghurt is an oxymoron.

edot 18.09.2011 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Greybeard (Post 1343514)
Fat-free Greek yoghurt is an oxymoron.

And tastes like crap, if I'd ever eaten crap, that is ;-p

18.09.2011 19:57

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Greybeard (Post 1343514)
Fat-free Greek yoghurt is an oxymoron.

Nope. Greek yoghurt is rich and creamy but thats as much to do with more milk solids/proteins and less water, than with more fat.

divine_host 18.09.2011 19:59

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
So far, i've not seen any at Migros or Denner but I did find some in Coop which really can't be considered as Greek yogurt.

Bartholemew 18.09.2011 20:14

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
huh--seriously?? This changes everything...

Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 1343574)
Nope. Greek yoghurt is rich and creamy but thats as much to do with more milk solids/proteins and less water, than with more fat.


poptart 18.09.2011 20:29

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartholemew (Post 1343595)
huh--seriously?? This changes everything...

Really :) There's a similar Nordic/German product called rahka/quark that, even in the non-fat/miniscule fat versions, taste so rich and creamy that I'm always surprised that it's not made with full fat milk and cream. I don't know what the magic is, but it's tasty. The mouthfeel is so smooth and so creamy that it's like a dream that it's non-fat. I do miss a wide range of yogurt products here as I do appreciate a thick and creamy yogurt, and especially love the greek yogurts.

Dougal's Breakfast 18.09.2011 20:33

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
I don't really understand the attraction of Fage Greek yoghurt (and similar), but I did use to enjoy the yoghurt that came in earthenware pots at the Galinos supermarket up the road.

If I could ever find something that came near to it in flavour, I'd be a happy man. Until then, I guess I'll just have to stick to Coop Bio...

virtuallyswiss 18.09.2011 20:39

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
I've been looking for some Fage Total 0% for a while. Thanks for the answers!

Captain Greybeard 18.09.2011 20:41

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 1343574)
Nope. Greek yoghurt is rich and creamy but thats as much to do with more milk solids/proteins and less water, than with more fat.

Correct in that Greek yoghurt is strained yoghurt, meaning there is more of everything in it except water. That makes it richer, but take the fat out and what's left is crap, as edot wrote.

The main difference between the "real" Greek yoghurt we love and off-the-shelf stuff is that most of the yoghurt you enjoy at your favorite waterfront bar is made of goat milk. Greece has millions of goats owned by small farmers and private individuals. That goat milk is mainly used for making cheese and yoghurt for the little local businesses, whereas the cows produce about twice as much milk, which, compared to other countries is very little and is mostly used to make industrial products like Greek yoghurt sold abroad, together with the same stuff made from cow milk trucked across the Alps from Bavaria, Denmark and elsewhere.

Making cow milk yoghurt in Greece needn't result in the Greek yoghurt we love. Just like making "Swiss cheese" in Switzerland according to US standards does not make it taste like real Swiss cheese.

By the way, does any of our EFers from Greece know when Greek bars started adding fruit to their yoghurt?

Captain Greybeard 18.09.2011 20:48

Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by poptart (Post 1343615)
Really :) There's a similar Nordic/German product called rahka/quark that, even in the non-fat/miniscule fat versions, taste so rich and creamy that I'm always surprised that it's not made with full fat milk and cream. I don't know what the magic is, but it's tasty. The mouthfeel is so smooth and so creamy that it's like a dream that it's non-fat. I do miss a wide range of yogurt products here as I do appreciate a thick and creamy yogurt, and especially love the greek yogurts.

In quark, the creamy feel mainly comes from proteins indeed, as economisto stated.

As for the wide range of yoghurt products you may remember from the USA -- most of that would not be allowed to be called yoghurt here because it does not contain live bacteria cultures.

Even after several years in Switzerland, my American OH keeps annoying salesclerks by asking them if "this" or "that" product contains live cultures. If it says "Yoghurt" it MUST have them. Period.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:32.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0