Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29.01.2012, 15:37
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St.Gallen
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
MissRed has no particular reputation at present
Sushi time!

I love to try new food. Every country has its own goodies and it's amazing. Altho I do have a *taste* and even tho I like to experiment and try new meals, I order my favourites. Swiss food is different too and I do like it. But I have my Own Menu and the top goes for Sushi.
I've tried it first in London, then Italy, also in Latvia - and they all were different but good. *BUT* I had to share my bad experience with the ones I had recently here,near Rebstein. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but many people go there and they sell not only Japanese but also Chinese dishes. I've asked few times how is the food there and never heard any complain. SO... I went in,ordered my favorite Sushi and ... The rice was all sticky and chewy and had a very weird sour taste. The colour also wasn't white. The fish was old and tasteless.
One of the Sushi pieces made me giggle and cry at the same time - it was a bunch of rice hold with some sort of leave ( that didn't belong there ) and a FULL CRAB STICK. The one that you buy in a supermarket for very very cheap. And it was YELLOW. Yellow not because it HAS to be like that, but YELLOW as in Kept-in-the-fridge / BAD yellow

I was not alone and another person that had the same as me didn't say a word. I guess this is the only Sushi he ever had in his life and he couldn't tell the difference.Which is sad.

Question is - Where do you get Your sushi?? And is it popular here??

Thank you for reading and sharing

Last edited by MissRed; 29.01.2012 at 17:01.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29.01.2012, 15:44
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,131
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sushi time!

Lots of threads on here when searched on "Sushi".
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jrspet for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 29.01.2012, 16:18
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sushi time!

Quote:
View Post
I love to try new food. Every country has its own goodies and it's amazing. Altho I do have a *taste* and even tho I like to experiment and try new meals, I order my favourites. Swiss food is different too and I do like it. But I have my Own Manu and the top goes for Sushi.
I've tried it first in London, then Italy, also in Latvia - and they all were different but good. *BUT* I had to share my bad experience with the ones I had recently here,near Rebstein. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but many people go there and they sell not only Japanese but also Chinese dishes. I've asked few times how is the food there and never heard any complain. SO... I went in,ordered my favorite Sushi and ... The rice was all sticky and chewy and had a very weird sour taste. The colour also wasn't white. The fish was old and tasteless.
One of the Sushi pieces made me giggle and cry at the same time - it was a bunch of rice hold with some sort of leave ( that didn't belong there ) and a FULL CRAB STICK. The one that you buy in a supermarket for very very cheap. And it was YELLOW. Yellow not because it HAS to be like that, but YELLOW as in Kept-in-the-fridge / BAD yellow

I was not alone and another person that had the same as me didn't say a word. I guess this is the only Sushi he ever had in his life and he couldn't tell the difference.Which is sad.

Question is - Where do you get Your sushi?? And is it popular here??

Thank you for reading and sharing
It took me a while to understand you were not quoting someone. You shouldn't write in italic.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 29.01.2012, 16:32
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 847
Groaned at 27 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,044 Times in 364 Posts
Panther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sushi time!

Quote:
View Post
I love to try new food. Every country has its own goodies and it's amazing. Altho I do have a *taste* and even tho I like to experiment and try new meals, I order my favourites. Swiss food is different too and I do like it. But I have my Own Manu and the top goes for Sushi.
I've tried it first in London, then Italy, also in Latvia - and they all were different but good. *BUT* I had to share my bad experience with the ones I had recently here,near Rebstein. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but many people go there and they sell not only Japanese but also Chinese dishes. I've asked few times how is the food there and never heard any complain. SO... I went in,ordered my favorite Sushi and ... The rice was all sticky and chewy and had a very weird sour taste. The colour also wasn't white. The fish was old and tasteless.
One of the Sushi pieces made me giggle and cry at the same time - it was a bunch of rice hold with some sort of leave ( that didn't belong there ) and a FULL CRAB STICK. The one that you buy in a supermarket for very very cheap. And it was YELLOW. Yellow not because it HAS to be like that, but YELLOW as in Kept-in-the-fridge / BAD yellow

I was not alone and another person that had the same as me didn't say a word. I guess this is the only Sushi he ever had in his life and he couldn't tell the difference.Which is sad.

Question is - Where do you get Your sushi?? And is it popular here??

Thank you for reading and sharing
I used to love Sushi, and when I did, I was sure NEVER to eat it in a landlocked country. No fresh fish, means, no fresh Sushi.

BTW, you let your friend eat the yellow crabstick???
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Panther for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 29.01.2012, 16:49
Chrisso's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmensdorf, ZH
Posts: 562
Groaned at 30 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 432 Times in 203 Posts
Chrisso has a reputation beyond reputeChrisso has a reputation beyond reputeChrisso has a reputation beyond reputeChrisso has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sushi time!

I find all seafood pretty tasteless here. As previously suggested, landlocked country.... no fresh fish...

Might also be a fault of living in Nth Queensland on the Great Barrier Reef for many years. Absolutely spoilt....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 29.01.2012, 16:58
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St.Gallen
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
MissRed has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
It took me a while to understand you were not quoting someone. You shouldn't write in italic.

What's Italic?

Quote:
View Post
I used to love Sushi, and when I did, I was sure NEVER to eat it in a landlocked country. No fresh fish, means, no fresh Sushi.

BTW, you let your friend eat the yellow crabstick???
LOL noo ) I left it on the plate with most of the other "stuff" that was on it.

Quote:
View Post
I find all seafood pretty tasteless here. As previously suggested, landlocked country.... no fresh fish...

Might also be a fault of living in Nth Queensland on the Great Barrier Reef for many years. Absolutely spoilt....

So there are no GOOD Sushi places around then? Shame

Last edited by jrspet; 29.01.2012 at 17:06. Reason: Merging of successive posts
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 29.01.2012, 17:06
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 847
Groaned at 27 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,044 Times in 364 Posts
Panther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sushi time!

Quote:
View Post
LOL noo ) I left it on the plate with most of the other "stuff" that was on it.
I didnt ask whether you ate it, I asked if your friend did
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 29.01.2012, 17:08
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St.Gallen
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
MissRed has no particular reputation at present
Re: Sushi time!

Quote:
View Post
I didnt ask whether you ate it, I asked if your friend did
And I replied NO.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 29.01.2012, 17:09
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sushi time!

Quote:
View Post
I find all seafood pretty tasteless here. As previously suggested, landlocked country.... no fresh fish...

Might also be a fault of living in Nth Queensland on the Great Barrier Reef for many years. Absolutely spoilt....
No fresh fish eh? I eat fresh Swiss fish twice a week; atleast. I suppose landlocked also = desert.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 29.01.2012, 17:12
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,235
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,333 Times in 18,539 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sushi time!

Quote:
View Post
I used to love Sushi, and when I did, I was sure NEVER to eat it in a landlocked country. No fresh fish, means, no fresh Sushi.
Nonsense.

Switzerland is closer to the ocean than most of the US! (and many other countries).

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 29.01.2012, 17:16
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sushi time!

Quote:
View Post
What's Italic?



LOL noo ) I left it on the plate with most of the other "stuff" that was on it.




So there are no GOOD Sushi places around then? Shame
Well there are actually...one place near Weidikon is a "new" place. She was a Sushi only take out in Oerlikon, then she moved to the current location and also serves traditional Chinese. The place is called Weibian. Website...

www.weibian.ch
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 29.01.2012, 17:17
Chrisso's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmensdorf, ZH
Posts: 562
Groaned at 30 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 432 Times in 203 Posts
Chrisso has a reputation beyond reputeChrisso has a reputation beyond reputeChrisso has a reputation beyond reputeChrisso has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sushi time!

Quote:
View Post
So there are no GOOD Sushi places around then? Shame
No

I've eaten at just about all of them here in Zurich. As well as being way overpriced they are also not so good. I even went to one and did a sushi making course.

If I were you and craved it immensely, as I also do from time to time, especially when hungover, just make it yourself. It's quite time consuming but relatively cheap as the rice vinegar, seaweed, wasabi, soy etc will make a heap of sushi rolls....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chrisso for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 29.01.2012, 17:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 847
Groaned at 27 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,044 Times in 364 Posts
Panther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sushi time!

Quote:
View Post


LOL noo ) I left it on the plate with most of the other "stuff" that was on it.



Quote:
View Post
And I replied NO.
As it states above, YOU left it on the plate.......were your'll sharing a plate.....nevermind........
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29.01.2012, 17:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 847
Groaned at 27 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,044 Times in 364 Posts
Panther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sushi time!

Quote:
View Post
No fresh fish eh? I eat fresh Swiss fish twice a week; atleast. I suppose landlocked also = desert.
Yes, there is fresh fish, sorry, I should have written, no fresh Sushi fish, or, could you use Egli, or Hecht for Sushi?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29.01.2012, 17:24
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St.Gallen
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
MissRed has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
No

I've eaten at just about all of them here in Zurich. As well as being way overpriced they are also not so good. I even went to one and did a sushi making course.

If I were you and craved it immensely, as I also do from time to time, especially when hungover, just make it yourself. It's quite time consuming but relatively cheap as the rice vinegar, seaweed, wasabi, soy etc will make a heap of sushi rolls....
Shame
Well, then I'll have to try and learn myself how to make them

Thank you

Quote:
View Post
As it states above, YOU left it on the plate.......were your'll sharing a plate.....nevermind........
Everybody had their own plates with their own stuff ( me and another guy had sushi ) . So he ate his own , including the ugly yellow one ( he had one too ) and I left mine.


Sorry for misunderstanding

Last edited by jrspet; 29.01.2012 at 17:36. Reason: Merging of successive posts
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 29.01.2012, 17:33
Sharkbait's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ahmedabad, India & Bern
Posts: 127
Groaned at 8 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 113 Times in 54 Posts
Sharkbait has made some interesting contributions
Re: Sushi time!

Had sushi in Thun recently, can`t remember the name. Distinctly better than I can get in Ahmedabad, India.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sharkbait for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 29.01.2012, 17:49
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sushi time!

Quote:
View Post
Yes, there is fresh fish, sorry, I should have written, no fresh Sushi fish, or, could you use Egli, or Hecht for Sushi?
I am not a Sushi expert, from what I understand anything extremely fresh makes the cut. Some just taste better then others.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 29.01.2012, 17:49
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,235
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,333 Times in 18,539 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sushi time!

Quote:
View Post
could you use Egli, or Hecht for Sushi?
Certainly.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 29.01.2012, 18:05
Puhutes's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: val Müstair
Posts: 1,017
Groaned at 22 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 606 Times in 318 Posts
Puhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputation
Re: Sushi time!

I've never had Sushi here in Switzerland because... well, Chinese or any Asian food is unbelievably expensive. I don't want to know what Sushi would cost! I've had Sushi in Feldkirch (Austria on the boarder) at a place called Restaurant Wok http://www.restaurant-wok.com/ and in Konstanz on the other side of the Bodensee... my favorite buffet is (I believe evenings they also have sushi) Shunfeng http://shunfeng.de/ ... Mmmm sushi!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Puhutes for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 30.01.2012, 00:07
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sushi time!

Best Sushi I had in Switzerland is in Luzern. The fish is delivered fresh daily, and what they don't sell, they chuck at the end of evening service.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sushi Class helenakc Commercial events 4 14.09.2011 17:33
Sushi in Zug Cardiff-Zug Entertainment & dining 4 02.09.2011 14:39
Sushi Workshop helenakc Commercial events 4 16.05.2011 21:42
Annie's Sushi Annie_zh Commercial 0 15.11.2009 11:03
Sushi Class helenakc Commercial events 1 17.10.2009 11:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0