Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 07.03.2015, 00:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 29
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
vassilych has no particular reputation at present
Re: Thermomix..

Quote:
View Post

I didn't even realize this was a real thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZUH_Uca6qc
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07.03.2015, 00:27
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 29
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
vassilych has no particular reputation at present
Re: Thermomix..

Quote:
View Post
I have a friend that has one and loves it. Everything I have had that she has made with the machine has been amazing. However, get yourself a high powered blender, good quality food processor and a good quality rice cooker and you can do everything the machine does. I have a vitamix, a cuisinart food processor and an aroma rice cooker and am able to make every recipe she can using the thermomix for half the cost.
It's your choice. You can have other 20 machines in the kitchen, or Thermomix
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07.03.2015, 10:43
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,823
Groaned at 193 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 6,169 Times in 3,121 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix..

Quote:
View Post
It's your choice. You can have other 20 machines in the kitchen, or Thermomix
You sell them?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 07.03.2015, 10:49
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 5,330
Groaned at 235 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 11,708 Times in 3,557 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix..

Thermomix is like a car:

you can get cheaper gadgets than Thermomix or you can buy the top of the line. The question is: do you really need the top of the line? Only you can answer that.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 07.03.2015, 11:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 29
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
vassilych has no particular reputation at present
Re: Thermomix..

Quote:
View Post
Please explain why I would buy a tool for 1200 CHF/EUR where I have to use the recipes from that tool only? Heard from a friend, who has one, that "creative cooking" as in cooking at the spur of the moment, is not that easy as you have to follow the recipe. So I do not understand what is the advantage?
of course, you can "cook creatively" if the machine has so many functions. And you do not have to follow recipes from the book if you whant o cook your favorite dish or back your favorite pie.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07.03.2015, 11:17
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,823
Groaned at 193 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 6,169 Times in 3,121 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix..

Still, for me it is way too expensive
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07.03.2015, 11:27
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,600
Groaned at 74 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,064 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix..

Got one and couldnt live without it. You dont buy it to save money. You buy it to save time and to have your food taste great.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tilia for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 07.03.2015, 12:18
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 11,242
Groaned at 296 Times in 233 Posts
Thanked 15,721 Times in 6,393 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix..

Quote:
View Post
Thermomix:
cook: pasta, rice, vegetables
stew: meat, vegetables, fruit compotes
boil: liquids, and simmer sauces, soups, chowders,
chop: and mince meat, nuts, herbs, vegetables,
steam: vegetables, meat, fish, fruit
blend: fruits, frostings, soups, sauces, smoothies, milkshakes, power drinks
mill: wheat berries, rice, nuts, grains into flour
grind: coffee beans, sugar, nuts
crush: ice, frozen fruit for ice creams and sorbet
knead: healthier bread dough, easy pizza dough, pasta, pastry,
whisk: egg whites, yolks, frothy milk for coffee, custards, zabaglione
grate: hard cheese, chocolate, nuts,
emulsify: mayonnaise, salad dressings, body care products and cosmetics
puree: vegetables, fruits, special diets
weigh: liquids and solids easily
control: heat for making yogurt, butter, cheese, baby food, chocolate, delicate: sauces, fondue
clean: itself in seconds, easily with soap and water
What, all at the same time?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 07.03.2015, 12:20
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 1,594
Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 1,990 Times in 964 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix..

Oh no. It is just more rubbish to clutter up the kitchen and it can't even shell a hard boiled egg.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07.03.2015, 14:49
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 29
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
vassilych has no particular reputation at present
Re: Thermomix..

Quote:
View Post
Oh no. It is just more rubbish to clutter up the kitchen and it can't even shell a hard boiled egg.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 07.03.2015, 14:58
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 29
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
vassilych has no particular reputation at present
Re: Thermomix..

Quote:
View Post
Oh no. It is just more rubbish to clutter up the kitchen and it can't even shell a hard boiled egg.
Good point. I hope they will improve in the next version!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 14.03.2015, 15:52
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 29
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
vassilych has no particular reputation at present
Re: Thermomix..

Quote:
View Post
You sell them?
Now Yes!
Attached Thumbnails
thermomix-natalia.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 14.03.2015, 17:04
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,600
Groaned at 74 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,064 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix..

Good luck! Its a great gadget and worth every penny.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tilia for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 14.03.2015, 17:31
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,334
Groaned at 35 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 10,412 Times in 3,156 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix..

Quote:
View Post
What, all at the same time?
You've hit the nail on the head - my problem with these is that the way I'm most comfortable cooking often involves several of these processes in parallel. I might easily be steaming veggies while cooking pasta while simmering a sauce and chopping herbs to add to that sauce.

Now, I could do all these things with a Thermomix but only one at a time. So either I've got to do them sequentially (and the meal takes several times as long to prepare, start to finish) or I've got to keep a cupboard full of saucepans, a steamer, an immersion blender etc. etc. on hand anyway so I can do them in parallel (in which case why do I really need the Thermomix?)

It's a tradeoff. I don't want to have umpteen gadgets on my counter that only do one thing each - but one supergadget that does everything is also not the solution. Not for me, for how I cook. Other people's mileage may vary.
__________________
Need help? Contact a mod.

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MathNut for this useful post:
  #55  
Old 14.03.2015, 19:00
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 5,172
Groaned at 630 Times in 409 Posts
Thanked 6,039 Times in 2,895 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix..

Quote:
View Post
You've hit the nail on the head - my problem with these is that the way I'm most comfortable cooking often involves several of these processes in parallel. I might easily be steaming veggies while cooking pasta while simmering a sauce and chopping herbs to add to that sauce.

Now, I could do all these things with a Thermomix but only one at a time. So either I've got to do them sequentially (and the meal takes several times as long to prepare, start to finish) or I've got to keep a cupboard full of saucepans, a steamer, an immersion blender etc. etc. on hand anyway so I can do them in parallel (in which case why do I really need the Thermomix?)

It's a tradeoff. I don't want to have umpteen gadgets on my counter that only do one thing each - but one supergadget that does everything is also not the solution. Not for me, for how I cook. Other people's mileage may vary.
Just give him carrots, Ermintrude said it would be ok
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 15.03.2015, 01:25
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 29
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
vassilych has no particular reputation at present
Re: Thermomix..

Quote:
View Post
Good luck! Its a great gadget and worth every penny.
Thank you! I think the same way. I learned about Thermomix incidentally. This company produces it for 40 years. My first question was-Why had I never heard about Thermomix before? This is just what I need
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 15.03.2015, 01:45
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 29
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
vassilych has no particular reputation at present
Re: Thermomix..

Quote:
View Post
You've hit the nail on the head - my problem with these is that the way I'm most comfortable cooking often involves several of these processes in parallel. I might easily be steaming veggies while cooking pasta while simmering a sauce and chopping herbs to add to that sauce.

Now, I could do all these things with a Thermomix but only one at a time. So either I've got to do them sequentially (and the meal takes several times as long to prepare, start to finish) or I've got to keep a cupboard full of saucepans, a steamer, an immersion blender etc. etc. on hand anyway so I can do them in parallel (in which case why do I really need the Thermomix?)

It's a tradeoff. I don't want to have umpteen gadgets on my counter that only do one thing each - but one supergadget that does everything is also not the solution. Not for me, for how I cook. Other people's mileage may vary.
Of course you can do something in parallel. Such as cooking rice-vegetables-fish at the same time. For example, youdo dough for bred first, 2 minits. Than you bake the bread in the oven.in the same time you start to cook a hot meal rice-vegetables-fish in 25 min the bread and hot meal ready. Simple BUT very tasty dessert you can do in 3 minutes while youmakes coffee.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 15.03.2015, 06:34
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,161
Groaned at 103 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 6,824 Times in 2,531 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix..

Yesterday in the pages of our online auctions house I screened 18 Thermomix devices, seven were fraudelent and the others had sentences like: "rarely used" and "almost brand new" in the text, the best one proclaimed that the Termomix had been gathering dust and used only once, still under warranty, a steal at only 750€'s.
Sounded like they had come to their senses and realized that they had paid a lot of money for basically a piece of kitchen shiny and were really desperate to sell.
I come to the conclusion that people who buy a Thermomix are the ones challenged by culinary delights like deep frozen pizza and who's normal eating habits have recipe instructions like open bag, pour contents in pot and add heat, but at the same time want to impress any visiting native with a suave sweep of the hand, a sort of kitchen gunboat diplomacy, as for cooking in parallel, if you have to do that anyway what is the point of a Termomix?
__________________
Lummerland
Eine Insel mit zwei Bergen,
und im tiefen weiten Meer,
mit viel Tunnels und Geleisen
und dem Eisenbahnverkehr
nun wie mag die Insel heißen
ringsherum ist schöner Strand
jeder sollte einmal reisen
in das schöne Lummerland
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #59  
Old 15.03.2015, 11:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,073
Groaned at 79 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 1,037 Times in 624 Posts
yacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix..

It is overpriced, but my wife uses it to prepare meals daily and she says it saves quite a bit of her time.
So - maybe other tools would be as just useful, but this one works as well for a family that almost never eats convenience food (too expensive), and making pancakes from a "just add water formula" isn't our thing.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank yacek for this useful post:
  #60  
Old 16.03.2015, 12:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 29
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
vassilych has no particular reputation at present
Re: Thermomix..

Quote:
View Post
Yesterday in the pages of our online auctions house I screened 18 Thermomix devices, seven were fraudelent and the others had sentences like: "rarely used" and "almost brand new" in the text, the best one proclaimed that the Termomix had been gathering dust and used only once, still under warranty, a steal at only 750€'s.
Sounded like they had come to their senses and realized that they had paid a lot of money for basically a piece of kitchen shiny and were really desperate to sell.
I come to the conclusion that people who buy a Thermomix are the ones challenged by culinary delights like deep frozen pizza and who's normal eating habits have recipe instructions like open bag, pour contents in pot and add heat, but at the same time want to impress any visiting native with a suave sweep of the hand, a sort of kitchen gunboat diplomacy, as for cooking in parallel, if you have to do that anyway what is the point of a Termomix?
Hallo, I think these are the hidden words "almost brand new" it is not a "brand new". I am sure that people bought the Thermomix about 1 year ago. That's why it's still on warranty . They bought Thermomix TM31 last year, but in September 2014 came out the new model of Thermomix TM5 "BRAND NEW" very gorgeous, perfect, lovely, cool, modern, user friendly, just magic. So, of course after they had TM 31, people know, Thermomix now it's just better. And they are right- it is huge difference between TM31 and TM5. And now they desperately want to buy a NEW Thermomix TM5 and sell Thermomix TM31 to people lacking information.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0