Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 05.01.2020, 00:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 90
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 32 Times in 19 Posts
hof86 has earned some respecthof86 has earned some respect
Re: Thermomix

Quote:
View Post
Guys I am really sorry but I completely forgot to post that I saw the Monsieur Cuisine Connect in stock in Lidl earlier this week for 'only' 349chf, which was a complete surprise as I didn't find any info about it on their website and annoyingly I ended up importing mine from Germany.

If you try a few stores they may be one left, but I wouldn't hold up too much hope...

I used mine for the first time earlier this week to make brownies using a guided recipe and it turned out pretty damn good for my first ever attempt making brownies, although next time I will double the amount of ingredients as the portion size was only big enough for filling half my baking tray. Maybe I will buy one of those specific brownie trays. I will also experiment with adding Lindt orange chcolate *licks lips*. I intend to start baking more regularly now so my work colleagues are going to bear the brunt of my experiments.

I also made a spaghetti bolognaise just for a laugh, but that was, as expected, pretty disgusting. Bolognaise and similar dishes are completely unsuited to being cooked in this machine as it doesn't get hot enough to fry meat properly and the guided recipe is not so good. Next I will try some breads and soups etc.

Where it seems to do a good job from all reports is for mixing, emulsifying, sous vide (with a 99 min timer limit), steaming, soups and sauces etc so I am looking forward to trying out some recipes and adjusting them as needed.

The display on the machine is surprisingly good and everything looks sharp and high resolution with a nice clean interface. It's pretty loud but that's to be expected and it sticks to a table nicely with sucker feet which keeps it in pace well.

You can see all of the available guided recipes here https://www.monsieur-cuisine.com/en/recipes/
Thanks a lot for the update! I actually checked the new Lidl store in Zürich West and they had 4 machines there I was also quite surprised as I glanced regularly through the leaflets and I don't recall seeing it.

I haven't tried it yet but I'll provide an update on some recipes somewhere down the road. In any case, for CHF it's a pretty good offer IMO...
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 15.02.2020, 17:52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Schlieren
Posts: 41
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
ItalianInZuri has earned some respectItalianInZuri has earned some respect
Re: Thermomix

Quote:
View Post
Thanks a lot for the update! I actually checked the new Lidl store in Zürich West and they had 4 machines there I was also quite surprised as I glanced regularly through the leaflets and I don't recall seeing it.

I haven't tried it yet but I'll provide an update on some recipes somewhere down the road. In any case, for CHF it's a pretty good offer IMO...
Quote:
View Post
Guys I am really sorry but I completely forgot to post that I saw the Monsieur Cuisine Connect in stock in Lidl earlier this week for 'only' 349chf, which was a complete surprise as I didn't find any info about it on their website and annoyingly I ended up importing mine from Germany.

If you try a few stores they may be one left, but I wouldn't hold up too much hope...

I used mine for the first time earlier this week to make brownies using a guided recipe and it turned out pretty damn good for my first ever attempt making brownies, although next time I will double the amount of ingredients as the portion size was only big enough for filling half my baking tray. Maybe I will buy one of those specific brownie trays. I will also experiment with adding Lindt orange chcolate *licks lips*. I intend to start baking more regularly now so my work colleagues are going to bear the brunt of my experiments.

I also made a spaghetti bolognaise just for a laugh, but that was, as expected, pretty disgusting. Bolognaise and similar dishes are completely unsuited to being cooked in this machine as it doesn't get hot enough to fry meat properly and the guided recipe is not so good. Next I will try some breads and soups etc.

Where it seems to do a good job from all reports is for mixing, emulsifying, sous vide (with a 99 min timer limit), steaming, soups and sauces etc so I am looking forward to trying out some recipes and adjusting them as needed.

The display on the machine is surprisingly good and everything looks sharp and high resolution with a nice clean interface. It's pretty loud but that's to be expected and it sticks to a table nicely with sucker feet which keeps it in pace well.

You can see all of the available guided recipes here https://www.monsieur-cuisine.com/en/recipes/
May I ask about your experience with the Monsiuer Cuisine? After a few months I got very lazy and use it almost only for cooking meat sous-vide (total gamechanger) and I got the feeling I am missing out on a lot of stuff.
I would appreciate any tip!
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 15.02.2020, 18:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,260
Groaned at 1,185 Times in 786 Posts
Thanked 19,134 Times in 7,418 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix

Quote:
View Post
May I ask about your experience with the Monsiuer Cuisine? After a few months I got very lazy and use it almost only for cooking meat sous-vide (total gamechanger) and I got the feeling I am missing out on a lot of stuff.
I would appreciate any tip!
Haven't tried sous-vide yet... looks great although the timer has a 99 minute limit. What do you like to cook sous-vide and how does it turn out? Any good recipes?

I use mine for:
  • Mixing
  • Chopping
  • Blending
  • Dough (does a decent job with the initial mix)
  • Soups (its an amazing all-in-one soup machine)

I need to try:
  1. Making pastry
  2. Sous-vide
  3. All the other stuff I've never thought of

Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 15.02.2020, 19:36
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 850
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 1,376 Times in 525 Posts
heckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix

Have a look for posts from Markarina about food / sous-vide - he was nuts about it (and to be fair....it all tasted great )

I'm just a beginner at sous-vide, but its pretty idiot proof - I've cooked chicken, veggies in it. Nothing complicated - but nothing burned / turned to unrecognisable mess, which is my normal cooking competence (have burned pasta....)

recipes.anovaculinary.com is my go-to site
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank heckenhocker for this useful post:
  #125  
Old 16.02.2020, 00:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,260
Groaned at 1,185 Times in 786 Posts
Thanked 19,134 Times in 7,418 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix

Quote:
View Post
Have a look for posts from Markarina about food / sous-vide - he was nuts about it (and to be fair....it all tasted great )

I'm just a beginner at sous-vide, but its pretty idiot proof - I've cooked chicken, veggies in it. Nothing complicated - but nothing burned / turned to unrecognisable mess, which is my normal cooking competence (have burned pasta....)

recipes.anovaculinary.com is my go-to site
I bought a vacuum sealer from Lidl the other day (33chf + 18chf for 2x spare rolls) so will try some stuff out soon.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 16.02.2020, 07:05
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,070
Groaned at 363 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 13,912 Times in 6,488 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix

Quote:
View Post
I bought a vacuum sealer from Lidl the other day (33chf + 18chf for 2x spare rolls) so will try some stuff out soon.
Landi has those rolls often on sale, if you need more
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #127  
Old 16.02.2020, 07:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,260
Groaned at 1,185 Times in 786 Posts
Thanked 19,134 Times in 7,418 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix

Quote:
View Post
Landi has those rolls often on sale, if you need more
Perfect thanks. I think from what I read it will also fit pretty much any 28cm width rolls.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 16.02.2020, 11:35
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,864
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,596 Times in 1,690 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix

Quote:
View Post
I bought a vacuum sealer from Lidl the other day (33chf + 18chf for 2x spare rolls) so will try some stuff out soon.
I have one of those. I use it to seal stuff before i put them in the freezer. Saves so much waste because freezer burn is not good.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 16.02.2020, 12:13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Schlieren
Posts: 41
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
ItalianInZuri has earned some respectItalianInZuri has earned some respect
Re: Thermomix

Quote:
View Post
Haven't tried sous-vide yet... looks great although the timer has a 99 minute limit. What do you like to cook sous-vide and how does it turn out? Any good recipes?

Thanks. There is a step by step recipe on the machine for red meat. But basically you can set 99 minutes, speed 1 reverse, and 55 C for red meat if you prefer more medium rare or 60 C if you want a tad more medium.
Pork is usually a bit higher (65 C or 70 C). I had great result rubbing some steak sauce with apple and tamarind on a pork neck roast, letting it rest in the vac bag overnight in the fridge. Then I cooked sous vide at 70 C. Finally let it cool down, in a cold water bath, then remove bag, pat dry.
I sear the meat in a steel pan, heated at max for a few minutes with a high smoke point oil (peanut). This sears the meat and creates a crunchy exterior.

I have also to say that sous vide makes really good poached eggs:
https://www.splendidtable.org/recipe...t-poached-eggs

I am still playing around for the best temperature / time combination. 65 C is perfect for the yolk but the whites need a bit of firming up...
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 27.05.2020, 08:36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Basel
Posts: 54
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Baselforever has no particular reputation at present
Re: Thermomix

Monsiuer Cuisine https://www.lidl.ch/de/c/monsieur-cu...nnect/c1987/w1 in German that it will be on sale from tomorrow Thursday May 28th

The vegetarian recipes seem to be limited, has anyone used
Monsiuer Cuisinefor vegetarian cooking?
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 27.05.2020, 11:55
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Luzern
Posts: 508
Groaned at 32 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 643 Times in 313 Posts
nejc has an excellent reputationnejc has an excellent reputationnejc has an excellent reputationnejc has an excellent reputation
Re: Thermomix

with a quick google:
https://www.recipecommunity.com.au/c...hes-vegetarian
there are over 1000 vegetarian recipes. I don't know what you usually cook, so you need to check if they are relatable.



I have similar device (not original Thermomix) but I am using it as a "helper" to prepare parts of dish where mixing and precise temperature is essential, like "Pâté à bombe" "sauce hollandaise" vinaigrettes, finishing sauces. The closest I come to do a whole dish in it, are soups.
It's a great helper in busy kitchen, but i would never buy it to cook instead of me, because it's simply not worth it and I would quickly get bored by repeating taste. Plus too much cleaning.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 27.05.2020, 12:43
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Basel
Posts: 54
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Baselforever has no particular reputation at present
Re: Thermomix

Thanks for your reply, I was unclear I was referring to the Lidl offering Monsieur Cuisine ie the Lidl version of Thermomix and the lack of vegetarian recipes for Monsieur Cuisine
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 27.05.2020, 13:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,260
Groaned at 1,185 Times in 786 Posts
Thanked 19,134 Times in 7,418 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for your reply, I was unclear I was referring to the Lidl offering Monsieur Cuisine ie the Lidl version of Thermomix and the lack of vegetarian recipes for Monsieur Cuisine
Just use the recipes for Thermomix and do the steps manually. After a few attempts you wil get a good feel for it.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 29.05.2020, 13:26
inksane's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: München
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
inksane has no particular reputation at present
Re: Thermomix

I know many people that swear by the Thermomix and I think is really cool for someone that is getting started on cooking (like me) but it's quite expensive compared to the rest.

I don't mind expending that much but not sure if it will end up being just another kitchen apilance forgoten in a corner. Also if I buy a cheap one it might not be the same experience.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 29.05.2020, 13:54
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,341
Groaned at 104 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 1,489 Times in 673 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix

We're 5 years in to owning ours and it gets regular use several times a week, I don't know anyone with a Thermomix that is idly occupying counterspace
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 30.05.2020, 00:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,948
Groaned at 471 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 11,894 Times in 6,184 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix

Quote:
View Post
I have also to say that sous vide makes really good poached eggs:
https://www.splendidtable.org/recipe...t-poached-eggs

I am still playing around for the best temperature / time combination. 65 C is perfect for the yolk but the whites need a bit of firming up...
What's the point in sous-vide'ing eggs? Does it affect their taste?

Wrapping the egg in plastic foil gives me excellent and predictable results. The neat thing is that you can add stuff to the eggwhite before poaching. You can even stuff the yolk if you feel like going crazy (perhaps want to impress a certain someone?).
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 30.05.2020, 09:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,260
Groaned at 1,185 Times in 786 Posts
Thanked 19,134 Times in 7,418 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix

Quote:
View Post
I know many people that swear by the Thermomix and I think is really cool for someone that is getting started on cooking (like me) but it's quite expensive compared to the rest.

I don't mind expending that much but not sure if it will end up being just another kitchen apilance forgoten in a corner. Also if I buy a cheap one it might not be the same experience.
Half of the thermomix experience are the guides recipes. If you know how to cook then it is in no way worth 5x more than the Lidl version. Even if you don't know how to cook its not worth 5x more. The Lidl version is 5x cheaper for 80% of the functionality.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 30.05.2020, 14:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Schlieren
Posts: 41
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
ItalianInZuri has earned some respectItalianInZuri has earned some respect
Re: Thermomix

Quote:
View Post
What's the point in sous-vide'ing eggs? Does it affect their taste?

Wrapping the egg in plastic foil gives me excellent and predictable results. The neat thing is that you can add stuff to the eggwhite before poaching. You can even stuff the yolk if you feel like going crazy (perhaps want to impress a certain someone?).
Perfect and effortless temperature control hence yolk softness control. And I can completely forget about the eggs and prepare the rest of the stuff.
But your technique sound very interesting. Would you kindly share a link or description?
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 31.05.2020, 00:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,948
Groaned at 471 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 11,894 Times in 6,184 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thermomix

Quote:
View Post
Perfect and effortless temperature control hence yolk softness control. And I can completely forget about the eggs and prepare the rest of the stuff.
But your technique sound very interesting. Would you kindly share a link or description?
The YT clip below is the basic version. You can find plenty more with "poached eggs cling film" or "... plastic wrap". I use a clip to close the "bag", I find it's infinitely easier.

To enrich the eggs crack them into another bowl and separate white from yolk. Salt if you want, add some finely grated cheese and herbs, or finely cut bacon, or whatever your heart desires, and carefully mix a little bit. With the white no longer liquid you may want to layer the components to center the yolk, so fill a cling film bowl with half of a white, perhaps form a bit of a trough, add the yolk, add the other half of the white and close the bag.

Of course you can sous-vide those as well.

A friend does them with muffin forms instead of film, she doesn't care much about the resulting form.

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0