Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 22.08.2012, 17:32
A modal singularity
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CH
Posts: 9,247
Groaned at 425 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 15,886 Times in 6,835 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grocery delivery from the UK

Quote:
View Post
Friends and family in the UK usually want chocolate, cheese and pick-ups (chocolate filled biscuits from Germany) so I bring those over.
that's just weird. Chocolate and cheese are usually the items most requested to bring here, not to take over there
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 22.08.2012, 18:03
JohnC's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 78
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 24 Times in 12 Posts
JohnC is considered knowledgeableJohnC is considered knowledgeableJohnC is considered knowledgeable
Re: Grocery delivery from the UK

hello all,

Have to say I am a fan of www.britshop.ch.
Ok they don't have the same range as this site but it is delivered very quickly often next day in good condition and I find the service good an friendly.
as it is in Switzerland no customs worries.

regards

john
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 22.08.2012, 21:22
suzybg's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Edinburgh/ Basel
Posts: 487
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 266 Times in 153 Posts
suzybg has earned the respect of manysuzybg has earned the respect of manysuzybg has earned the respect of many
Re: Grocery delivery from the UK

Quote:
View Post
that's just weird. Chocolate and cheese are usually the items most requested to bring here, not to take over there

Really??? I can maybe see wanting some good cheddar or stilton but there's not a bit of chocolate I miss from the UK.

Everyone back home considers Switzerland (and surrounding Italy, France, Germany) to be the land of cheese and chocolate so I get tonnes of requests!!
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 22.08.2012, 21:52
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,138
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grocery delivery from the UK

Lindt chocolate. That's what I buy in the UK :-) (Yes, it really is quite a lot cheaper than here!).

Also, I second the comment about BA and their Avios points. It's a bargain (in terms of the number of miles and the "tax" of £27 they charge) from Switzerland to the UK - probably the best route to use them on. If you don't have the full amount of miles (9000 I believe) then you can use less and pay to make up the missing amount. Still, usually, a lot cheaper than just buying a ticket all for cash.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 23.08.2012, 12:07
A modal singularity
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CH
Posts: 9,247
Groaned at 425 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 15,886 Times in 6,835 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grocery delivery from the UK

Quote:
View Post
Really??? I can maybe see wanting some good cheddar or stilton but there's not a bit of chocolate I miss from the UK.
You've not seen the many threads about Cadbury's Dairy Milk, then? I accept that for some types of chocolate Swiss may be better, but my preferred type is always milk, and CDM represents something the Swiss brands just can't acheive (or don't want to, I suppose). Swiss milk chocolate always tastes too sweet and too fatty for my liking. Even Galaxy is better
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 23.08.2012, 12:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Grocery delivery from the UK

Can't remember the huge EU argument about British chocolate - so full of fat, and so little chocolate, that it can't be called 'chocolate'?

70% Lindt dark chocolate - eaten very slowly - that's heaven.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #67  
Old 23.08.2012, 13:29
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,392
Groaned at 2,324 Times in 1,692 Posts
Thanked 38,063 Times in 17,976 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grocery delivery from the UK

Quote:
Can't remember the huge EU argument about British chocolate - so full of fat, and so little chocolate, that it can't be called 'chocolate'?
No, it's because they use palm oil rather than cocoa butter in it.

Quote:
70% Lindt dark chocolate - eaten very slowly - that's heaven.
Indeed, why would anyone want milk in their chocolate?

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 23.08.2012, 13:39
A modal singularity
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CH
Posts: 9,247
Groaned at 425 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 15,886 Times in 6,835 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grocery delivery from the UK

Quote:
View Post
Quote:
Can't remember the huge EU argument about British chocolate - so full of fat, and so little chocolate, that it can't be called 'chocolate'?
No, it's because they use palm oil rather than cocoa butter in it.
That was only in Australia and NZ, according to google, and even there its use was withdrawn after a couple of years.

The 'row' was about the low levels of cocoa solids, and therefore relatively high level of cocoa butter. IIRC.

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, why would anyone want milk in their chocolate?
Well, I'm aware that some people like to put milk, hot milk, cream, non-dairy creamer and all sorts of crap into their coffee, which is instant for me, but I'm not about to try and show them the error of their ways. Each to their own, sorta fing.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 23.08.2012, 13:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Grocery delivery from the UK

Wonder which one the Orangoutang would prefer?

High cocoa content dark chocolate is actually good for you - palm oil/milk version isn't. The insiduous and massive creeping in of palm oil into everything we consume is devastating in more ways than one, both health and environment. If any product states 'vegetable oil' as an ingredient, is is 100% sure it is palm oil - so it is not just about taste.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 23.08.2012, 16:10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Grocery delivery from the UK

Quote:
View Post
I'm glad I go back to the UK once or twice a month. With easyjet it is pretty cheap - even with a suitcase.

Even if you don't have family or friends to visit, it may be cheaper and more fun to just pick the cheapest UK city, go for one night - eat out for cheap, have fun rambling the aisles of a giant grocery store - know that if you bring perishables they will only be in transit for a few hours, not days and get the full import limit. Plus it's great to hear English and be able to make small talk with shop keepers, waiters, people on the bus......

Even one or 2 trips a year will keep your pantries full. And all for the price of a tageskarte.....
If this is really how you feel, why bother moving in the first place ?
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 23.08.2012, 22:36
suzybg's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Edinburgh/ Basel
Posts: 487
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 266 Times in 153 Posts
suzybg has earned the respect of manysuzybg has earned the respect of manysuzybg has earned the respect of many
Re: Grocery delivery from the UK

Quote:
If this is really how you feel, why bother moving in the first place ?
Mainly for a job that allows us to have the best of both worlds - a place in the UK and Switzerland. UK for family, friends, live music, fun and Switzerland for work and travelling around europe. Why have just one life when you can two!! And thanks to cheap, direct flights it's super easy so why not!!
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank suzybg for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 15.01.2013, 20:15
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rheinfelden AG
Posts: 245
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 154 Times in 93 Posts
noella has made some interesting contributions
Re: Grocery delivery from the UK

Went to place an order today and they have ceased trading!
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 15.01.2013, 20:18
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grocery delivery from the UK

They ceased trading.

Quote:
View Post
I'm still here waiting anxiously for someone who ordered to let me know their tax bill....
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 16.01.2013, 11:00
A modal singularity
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CH
Posts: 9,247
Groaned at 425 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 15,886 Times in 6,835 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grocery delivery from the UK

Quote:
View Post
They ceased trading.
Luckily there now seem to be dozens of other operators offering similar services, but more specialising in the international market and less so on the cheapness that rosspa focussed on.

Here's a list I've blatantly plagiarised from another source. Not tried any of them yet, but perhaps anyone who wants to give them a try could comment on here about their experiences? Perhaps we could make this a sticky and I could add or delete entries as appropriate?

A Little Something From Home English food hamper company, pre-made or custom made food hampers are available to be despatched anywhere in the world.
Airberg Online home shopping for Ex-pats around the world. Delivery of any kind of food that our Britt’s miss the most. Anyone can order their shopping with our simple catalogue
ATB Bargains Expats & British food lovers site. Delivering direct to you worldwide. (And ladies clothes, sweets, pet food, etc.)
Baskets Galore Gift delivery service UK & Ireland. High quality gift baskets, hampers, plants & flowers for friends & family back home.
Big British Foodstore is a family run business committed to serving the British expat community worldwide with access to the tastes of home
British Food Abroad. It has thousands of products and is one of the cheapest sites online offering this service. We deliver all over the world using Parcelforce
British Corner Shop British Foods, Delivered World Wide
British food store Shipping British supermarket food worldwide since 2006. 5000 items listed.
BritishOnlineSupermarket is an online only supermarket that provides everyday UK products to anyone in the world
BritishShoppingOnline.com is an Online Supermarket with Worldwide Delivery.
BritishSupermarketWorldwide offer a huge selection of British Food at the most competitive prices.
Britstore Expat shopping site for British food and drink delivered worldwide
Britsuperstore Economical worldwide postage for your UK foods and goods
Brougham Hall Foods smoked foods and British chocolate truffles.
buyinbritain.com Your favourite British foods, drinks, cakes, etc. Buy from the comfort of your armchair, delivered to your door.
Distant Brits With over 4,500 British products available to purchase, we are the largest online retailer catering specifically for British expatriates.
DistinctlyBritish.com Quality British Gifts, Hampers and Household & Garden Goods - secure on-line shopping
ExpatDirect.co.uk British and English food shopping and hampers from our online grocery store with delivery to expats worldwide
Expat Essentials A taste of home delivered to your door
Foods From Home is an international Online Supermarket Store that specialises in supplying British and South African expatriates all over the world with their favourite foods and supermarket products.
GlobalGophers.com Our Gophers (currently the USA, UK and France but expanding as new Gophers join from other countries) will go out and purchase items and send them direct to you anywhere in the world
Highland Fayre have been supplying Luxury Food Hampers to thousands of delighted customers throughout the UK and Europe since 1985
McAndrew’s Store We sell gift boxes of Scottish and Irish snacks, crisps, chocolate, tea bags and soft drinks on a worldwide basis.
Real Food Direct Gourmet foods, specialty foods, food hampers and gifts. International delivery
Scottish Food Overseas are worldwide exporters of Scottish hampers and every day Scottish food.
Scottish Food Store Irn-Bru, Haggis, Tablet, Tunnock's Tea Cakes, Mackie's Crisps. Scottish Food Store has it all in stock, ready for worldwide delivery.
ShopEnglandOnline.com The finest quality British food, gift, and kitchenware products, shipped worldwide from the USA, at very competitive prices, with customer service that is second to none.
Stuff Back Home You choose the products you want. We assign a personal shopper to you. Your shopper will purchase all of the products on your order (we don't stock products, we purchase to order to ensure that you receive only the freshest products)
Tastes Marvellous carries an extensive range of foods and quality specialist cookware to suit all foodies, from enthusiastic home cooks right through to professional chefs
Tea Warehouse We have a wide variety of tea types including: Pu'erh, Black Tea, Herbal Tea, Oolong Tea, Green Tea, Fairtrade, Organic, Slimming Tea, plus more...Same day despatch for orders received by 16.00 UK time - European and worldwide deliveries.
Teaworld brings you the widest selection of Specialty Teas in one place. We are committed to providing premium high quality teas
The Village Shop(NL) wide selection of traditional British tea, food, greetings cards, puzzles and luxury gift items. EU / world wide delivery service
UK-Groceries.comAcross the waves direct to your door all your favourite UK goodies
UKGroceriesOnline a new fresh approach to UK Grocery shopping, shipped worldwide
UK Online Goodies Delivering all of your favourite British Goodies Worldwide to your door
Virginia hayward hampers, baskets and gifts are carefully prepared in the UK with the finest food, wines and hardware from around the world.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #75  
Old 16.01.2013, 11:55
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rheinfelden AG
Posts: 245
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 154 Times in 93 Posts
noella has made some interesting contributions
Re: Grocery delivery from the UK

Quote:
View Post
Luckily there now seem to be dozens of other operators offering similar services, but more specialising in the international market and less so on the cheapness that rosspa focussed on.

Here's a list I've blatantly plagiarised from another source. Not tried any of them yet, but perhaps anyone who wants to give them a try could comment on here about their experiences? Perhaps we could make this a sticky and I could add or delete entries as appropriate?

A Little Something From Home English food hamper company, pre-made or custom made food hampers are available to be despatched anywhere in the world.
Airberg Online home shopping for Ex-pats around the world. Delivery of any kind of food that our Britt’s miss the most. Anyone can order their shopping with our simple catalogue
ATB Bargains Expats & British food lovers site. Delivering direct to you worldwide. (And ladies clothes, sweets, pet food, etc.)
Baskets Galore Gift delivery service UK & Ireland. High quality gift baskets, hampers, plants & flowers for friends & family back home.
Big British Foodstore is a family run business committed to serving the British expat community worldwide with access to the tastes of home
British Food Abroad. It has thousands of products and is one of the cheapest sites online offering this service. We deliver all over the world using Parcelforce
British Corner Shop British Foods, Delivered World Wide
British food store Shipping British supermarket food worldwide since 2006. 5000 items listed.
BritishOnlineSupermarket is an online only supermarket that provides everyday UK products to anyone in the world
BritishShoppingOnline.com is an Online Supermarket with Worldwide Delivery.
BritishSupermarketWorldwide offer a huge selection of British Food at the most competitive prices.
Britstore Expat shopping site for British food and drink delivered worldwide
Britsuperstore Economical worldwide postage for your UK foods and goods
Brougham Hall Foods smoked foods and British chocolate truffles.
buyinbritain.com Your favourite British foods, drinks, cakes, etc. Buy from the comfort of your armchair, delivered to your door.
Distant Brits With over 4,500 British products available to purchase, we are the largest online retailer catering specifically for British expatriates.
DistinctlyBritish.com Quality British Gifts, Hampers and Household & Garden Goods - secure on-line shopping
ExpatDirect.co.uk British and English food shopping and hampers from our online grocery store with delivery to expats worldwide
Expat Essentials A taste of home delivered to your door
Foods From Home is an international Online Supermarket Store that specialises in supplying British and South African expatriates all over the world with their favourite foods and supermarket products.
GlobalGophers.com Our Gophers (currently the USA, UK and France but expanding as new Gophers join from other countries) will go out and purchase items and send them direct to you anywhere in the world
Highland Fayre have been supplying Luxury Food Hampers to thousands of delighted customers throughout the UK and Europe since 1985
McAndrew’s Store We sell gift boxes of Scottish and Irish snacks, crisps, chocolate, tea bags and soft drinks on a worldwide basis.
Real Food Direct Gourmet foods, specialty foods, food hampers and gifts. International delivery
Scottish Food Overseas are worldwide exporters of Scottish hampers and every day Scottish food.
Scottish Food Store Irn-Bru, Haggis, Tablet, Tunnock's Tea Cakes, Mackie's Crisps. Scottish Food Store has it all in stock, ready for worldwide delivery.
ShopEnglandOnline.com The finest quality British food, gift, and kitchenware products, shipped worldwide from the USA, at very competitive prices, with customer service that is second to none.
Stuff Back Home You choose the products you want. We assign a personal shopper to you. Your shopper will purchase all of the products on your order (we don't stock products, we purchase to order to ensure that you receive only the freshest products)
Tastes Marvellous carries an extensive range of foods and quality specialist cookware to suit all foodies, from enthusiastic home cooks right through to professional chefs
Tea Warehouse We have a wide variety of tea types including: Pu'erh, Black Tea, Herbal Tea, Oolong Tea, Green Tea, Fairtrade, Organic, Slimming Tea, plus more...Same day despatch for orders received by 16.00 UK time - European and worldwide deliveries.
Teaworld brings you the widest selection of Specialty Teas in one place. We are committed to providing premium high quality teas
The Village Shop(NL) wide selection of traditional British tea, food, greetings cards, puzzles and luxury gift items. EU / world wide delivery service
UK-Groceries.comAcross the waves direct to your door all your favourite UK goodies
UKGroceriesOnline a new fresh approach to UK Grocery shopping, shipped worldwide
UK Online Goodies Delivering all of your favourite British Goodies Worldwide to your door
Virginia hayward hampers, baskets and gifts are carefully prepared in the UK with the finest food, wines and hardware from around the world.

Great list! I shall peruse this afternoon. Will definitely miss the cheapness and efficiency of Rosspa though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bacon, delivery, food




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Online grocery delivery hillseeker Food and drink 47 22.03.2020 10:40
Postal delivery times ( Valentines ) from Scotland, UK to CH ashleyfallis Other/general 3 27.01.2012 18:04
Delivery times from amazon.co.uk eireann Other/general 16 24.07.2011 19:55
Coming from UK? [food items delivery needed] awdhil Other/general 73 04.04.2011 10:01
Packet delivery from UK(England) klodoma Other/general 3 29.06.2009 17:21


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0