Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 20.02.2013, 20:23
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 22,241
Groaned at 1,169 Times in 916 Posts
Thanked 25,129 Times in 12,035 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mexican Food

Quote:
View Post
If you want «kick», make use of the generously supplied and freshly made condiments. Simples.
Or carry around a bag full of pequins, as I do.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 20.02.2013, 20:43
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 10,926
Groaned at 622 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,460 Times in 5,718 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mexican Food

Quote:
View Post
Really? Sometimes I care what some Mexican tells me, especially when it comes to judge the authenticity of Mexican food. Your posts are condescending towards the chef of the restaurant and people who have a different opinion in regards of this restaurant.

And now tell me where my post is condescending.
Funny thing is, tripadvisor reviews do state different opinions about that place.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...or-Zurich.html
Furthermore, it can be a real let-down for somebody who's looking for some authentic food and gets disappointed with not so authentic food and the steepish Zurich price tag.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 20.02.2013, 21:38
Principia Discordia's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Züri Unterland
Posts: 1,144
Groaned at 75 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 2,332 Times in 739 Posts
Principia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mexican Food

Quote:
View Post
You're probably referring to El Burrito Feliz: http://www.qype.ch/place/1939753-El-...liz-Winterthur
Nice little Mexican restaurant indeed!
That's the one! I was almost hesitant to name it, I don't want to fight expats for a table.

Quote:
View Post
Details?
La Piratita. The website, http://www.lapiratita.ch/ , which may or not be the same place, is under construction. A google might yield more information, but I can't even be sure they still exist.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Principia Discordia for this useful post:
  #64  
Old 20.02.2013, 21:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 708
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 428 Times in 246 Posts
Brooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputation
Quote:
View Post
Look, if you want good Mexican in Switzerland, then I have to make it.

Unfortunately, my gardens dead for the winter, so you'll have to wait six months for the really good stuff, though I have plenty of roasted, peeled and frozen green from last year, as well as dried, and can always get fresh Rocotos and Ajis from those AmericanMarket people (and can also get fresh Ajis in Como), but they're not Mexican.

Best Mexican restaurant I've found here was in the south of France, between Nice and Antibes (and best Sushi place is in Oslo, but that's for another thread).

Tom
Looking forward to the EF event at your place then!

Dan
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Brooks85 for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 20.02.2013, 22:25
Texaner's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zentralschweiz
Posts: 2,048
Groaned at 99 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 2,984 Times in 1,429 Posts
Texaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mexican Food

Quote:
View Post
Funny thing is, tripadvisor reviews do state different opinions about that place.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...or-Zurich.html
Furthermore, it can be a real let-down for somebody who's looking for some authentic food and gets disappointed with not so authentic food and the steepish Zurich price tag.
Really? Exactly how much authentic Mexican have you (or those trip advisor contributors) really sampled (I'm not talking so-called 'Tex-Mex' or American-style 'Mexican' or European-style 'Mexican' — but the real thing, prepared by real Mexicans from Mexico)?

I grew up in Texas, where — although there was 'Tex-Mex' (which has its place) — there was also the opportunity to rub shoulders with real Mexicans, and enjoy food prepared by people who grew up and learned to cook in Mexico for the Mexican palate. I don't know how you can pretend to know anything about 'authentic' v. 'not so authentic' if you haven't tasted of the same.

Even though I personally consider myself a novice when it comes to good Mexican cooking, the authenticity of Mexican cuisine cannot be simplistically reduced to «kick» or — especially here — cheap prices. The delicate balance of seasoning served up by a competent Mexican cook is in no way out-classed (in terms of authenticity) by even the richest, most lavish menus of the so-called 'Mexican' restaurants that cater primarily to non-Mexican palates, whether here or in the US.

El Luchador more accurately delivers the aromas and flavors of the stuff I enjoyed from even 'mere' Mexican street vendors than any other 'brand' of so-called 'Mexican' food I've found here (so far). Your dismissal — based on insufficient «kick» plus a handful of mostly European critics — hardly qualifies as compelling, credible testimony to the contrary.
__________________
"Live every day as if it were going to be your last; for one day you're sure to be right." — Harry Morant
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Texaner for this useful post:
  #66  
Old 20.02.2013, 22:35
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 22,241
Groaned at 1,169 Times in 916 Posts
Thanked 25,129 Times in 12,035 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mexican Food

Quote:
View Post
the authenticity of Mexican cuisine cannot be simplistically reduced to «kick» or — especially here — cheap prices. The delicate balance of seasoning served up by a competent Mexican cook is in no way out-classed (in terms of authenticity) by even the richest, most lavish menus of the so-called 'Mexican' restaurants that cater primarily to non-Mexican palates, whether here or in the US.
Indeed.

8 or so years ago, I made a 'Mexican" dinner in Ligano for a large group of friends, one of whom was actually Mexican.

She asked "how long did this take to prepare"? I said "most of the week". She said "sounds about right".

She also said "last time I smelled/tasted cooking like this, was at my mother's".

Tom

P.S. My friend's Peruvian wife likes my ceviche.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 20.02.2013, 22:46
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 10,926
Groaned at 622 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,460 Times in 5,718 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mexican Food

Quote:
View Post
Really? Exactly how much authentic Mexican have you (or those trip advisor contributors) really sampled (I'm not talking so-called 'Tex-Mex' or American-style 'Mexican' or European-style 'Mexican' — but the real thing, prepared by real Mexicans from Mexico)?

I grew up in Texas, where — although there was 'Tex-Mex' (which has its place) — there was also the opportunity to rub shoulders with real Mexicans, and enjoy food prepared by people who grew up and learned to cook in Mexico for the Mexican palate. I don't know how you can pretend to know anything about 'authentic' v. 'not so authentic' if you haven't tasted of the same.

Even though I personally consider myself a novice when it comes to good Mexican cooking, the authenticity of Mexican cuisine cannot be simplistically reduced to «kick» or — especially here — cheap prices. The delicate balance of seasoning served up by a competent Mexican cook is in no way out-classed (in terms of authenticity) by even the richest, most lavish menus of the so-called 'Mexican' restaurants that cater primarily to non-Mexican palates, whether here or in the US.

El Luchador more accurately delivers the aromas and flavors of the stuff I enjoyed from even 'mere' Mexican street vendors than any other 'brand' of so-called 'Mexican' food I've found here (so far). Your dismissal — based on insufficient «kick» plus a handful of mostly European critics — hardly qualifies as compelling, credible testimony to the contrary.
No mames wey, cual es tu pinche pedo?

I've had my fair share of authentic mexican food...thanks for asking. I will certainly make sure to inquire with all the tripadvisor commentators on whether they can share they're authentic Mexican experience, in order to verify the validity of their commentary.
Furthermore Mr. Tex-Mex, when one needs to cough up 30Chf for some bland food which need additional seasoning (ie salt etc.) then there is some kick missing and you can't blame it on the well balanced culaniary skills of the cook. But each to their own..what do I care, I won't be leaving my hard earned money there anytime soon.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 20.02.2013, 22:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kt Zh
Posts: 5,348
Groaned at 26 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 7,743 Times in 3,360 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mexican Food

Good mexican is labor intensive (and I'm not saying mine is good, and it's not really authentic, but I ate a lot of it in the US). when i make mole poblano, it takes the better part of a day and I use most of the pots and chopping devices in the kitchen. Place is a mess.

Various salsas and so on take a long time - it's a lot of prep - chopping, seasoning, etc.

We're actually buying a small terrace-sized greenhouse so we can attempt to grow poblanos. I buy them at El Maiz every week or so, but I'd like to grow my own.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank edot for this useful post:
  #69  
Old 21.02.2013, 01:46
prof. taratonga's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zürich & Bignasco
Posts: 2,308
Groaned at 28 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 4,536 Times in 1,437 Posts
prof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mexican Food

Quote:
View Post
I've had my fair share of authentic mexican food...thanks for asking. I will certainly make sure to inquire with all the tripadvisor commentators on whether they can share they're authentic Mexican experience, in order to verify the validity of their commentary.
You don't have to, their comments are all valid because they reflect an opinion An opinion is, as strange as it sounds, always valid (even if objectively wrong).

If somebody tells you his opinion and your response is: "Forget about it", you qualify the other opinion as not valid. The reason to forget about it - " IMO the food is missing some kick" - doesn't really make it better. That is equal to say my opinion is the only objectively correct one.

Let's forget about the first part of the sentence "Forget about it". That leaves us with

"IMO the food is missing some kick". If you would have only written this than there wouldn't be any issue here.

I really thought that I could make that clear with the slightly ironic comment (you may qualify this as another failed attempt of Swiss humor):

"Also forget about the Opera as it is missing some rock'n'roll IMO".

See, now the whole shit sounds really condescending, but....

Quote:
View Post
But each to their own...
as I can see you already got it right this time.
__________________
Guns don't kill people, George R.R. Martin kills people.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 21.02.2013, 07:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 708
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 428 Times in 246 Posts
Brooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputation
Quote:
View Post
My mexican restaurant experience in Europe has taught me to order the ribs, including at Desperado. Not really mexican, but a plate of ribs and a margarita ain't a bad night.
Thanks. I will try the ribs next time. So I need to just think "outside the box". Mexican place...get the ribs.

Dan
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Brooks85 for this useful post:
  #71  
Old 21.02.2013, 07:06
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 708
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 428 Times in 246 Posts
Brooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputation
So I think what I'm hearing is....go shopping at El Maiz for the spices, and then use them on the food the next time I go to a Mexican restaurant here, to add the "kick". Is that the main point here?

Dan
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Brooks85 for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 21.02.2013, 07:10
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 10,926
Groaned at 622 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,460 Times in 5,718 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mexican Food

Quote:
View Post
So I think what I'm hearing is....go shopping at El Maiz for the spices, and then use them on the food the next time I go to a Mexican restaurant here, to add the "kick". Is that the main point here?

Dan
You definitely got that right!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #73  
Old 21.02.2013, 07:19
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 708
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 428 Times in 246 Posts
Brooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputation
I'm wondering what it would take to get one of those Mexican "roach coach" mobile kitchens from California over here? You could get decent burritos for $6 (I'm not even dreaming of "authentic"). You could charge "just" 12chf here and do well. The "goggli man" seems to be the closest thing to that here. He's sold out on many nights. I guess he is an entrepreneur?

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 21.02.2013, 07:24
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 10,926
Groaned at 622 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,460 Times in 5,718 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mexican Food

Quote:
View Post
I'm wondering what it would take to get one of those Mexican "roach coach" mobile kitchens from California over here? You could get decent burritos for $6 (I'm not even dreaming of "authentic"). You could charge "just" 12chf here and do well. The "goggli man" seems to be the closest thing to that here. He's sold out on many nights. I guess he is an entrepreneur?

Dan
I'm willing to drive to Spain for disgusting dog meat Taco Bell, so that I don't have to see, read or smell "Rösti mit Zwiebelsauce", " Spaghetti Bolognese" or the recent discovered Friday classic "Pangasius Fischknusperli" on a weekly basis.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #75  
Old 21.02.2013, 07:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 708
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 428 Times in 246 Posts
Brooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputation
LOL That was a good one.

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 21.02.2013, 08:23
planetali's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brighton
Posts: 246
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 179 Times in 97 Posts
planetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mexican Food

Quote:
La Piratita. The website, http://www.lapiratita.ch/ , which may or not be the same place, is under construction. A google might yield more information, but I can't even be sure they still exist.
Thanks for that - google did indeed help, near the Kinderspital apparently: http://www.facebook.com/LA.PIRATITA.MEXICO.TAKE.AWAY

Last edited by lost_inbroad; 21.02.2013 at 10:14. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank planetali for this useful post:
  #77  
Old 21.02.2013, 11:43
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 845
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 836 Times in 367 Posts
DantesDame has earned the respect of manyDantesDame has earned the respect of manyDantesDame has earned the respect of many
Re: Mexican Food

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for that - google did indeed help, near the Kinderspital apparently: http://www.facebook.com/LA.PIRATITA.MEXICO.TAKE.AWAY
Yes, thank you! And how convenient - it's only about 4 blocks from where I live
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 21.02.2013, 11:44
Principia Discordia's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Züri Unterland
Posts: 1,144
Groaned at 75 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 2,332 Times in 739 Posts
Principia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mexican Food

Quote:
View Post
Yes, thank you! And how convenient - it's only about 4 blocks from where I live
Please let us know how it us!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 21.02.2013, 11:46
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 10,926
Groaned at 622 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,460 Times in 5,718 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mexican Food

Quote:
View Post
Yes, thank you! And how convenient - it's only about 4 blocks from where I live
Please bring us some!
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 21.02.2013, 15:02
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
brucedom has no particular reputation at present
Re: Mexican Food

Quote:
View Post
Mexican food simply sux in Europe. There is good places but nothing like Mexico or Cali (where I am living now ).

Chipotle (as far as you can call it Mexican) is now penetrating the Europe market and I bet they will make another fortune... .
Remember if you wanne open a restaurant in CH cost our out of this world ( a waiter is paid 20chf for example).

If I were to open one in CH it be a typical tacuira (or whatever they are called) and forget about an actual restaurant.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food, investment opportunities, mexican, restaurants




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where can you find buttermilk in Switzerland? Swisstobe Food and drink 33 17.09.2013 09:42
where Can I find cheap Dummbells in Lugano! Tupac Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 8 04.01.2011 00:42
Where can I find cheap DVDs (new/used)? nobody_important Other/general 5 20.09.2009 13:21
Where can I find a used / cheap tent? patrickturko Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 17 15.09.2008 22:54
Mexican food shop in Zurich [& Mexican restaurants in Switzerland] DanielL Entertainment & dining 20 23.05.2008 11:01


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0