Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 16.02.2014, 13:58
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Brüttisellen
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
vik74 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

Letzi Kebab at Letzipark in Altstetten, they have the best Kebab-box.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank vik74 for this useful post:
  #82  
Old 16.02.2014, 14:03
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,383
Groaned at 626 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 15,889 Times in 6,211 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
Letzi Kebab at Letzipark in Altstetten, they have the best Kebab-box.
This thread just gets better and better, we're discussing the quality and tastes of kebab boxes now!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #83  
Old 16.02.2014, 14:08
swissmute's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Zurich Area
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
swissmute has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

Züri-bistro at HB serves decent Kebab-box. Make sure that you love when things are really spicy though.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank swissmute for this useful post:
  #84  
Old 16.02.2014, 18:38
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
evas has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

Best Kebap ever at Elvis Grill : Badenerstrasse 248, 8004 Zürich, Kreis 4 (Karte anzeigen)
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 16.02.2014, 22:27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 86
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
dreamcatcher has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

have any, one Doner is around 1000 calories...
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 09.03.2014, 15:50
flow23's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,031
Groaned at 91 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 1,777 Times in 963 Posts
flow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

i think if it comes to kebap style food, its the green libanon at hafnerstrasse. nothing is more fresh, tasty, crispy and has more variety. yes, its no kebap but this spot shreds all the rest to shawarma pieces...
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 10.03.2014, 10:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 36
Groaned at 21 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
rony_22 is considered a nuisancerony_22 is considered a nuisancerony_22 is considered a nuisance
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
i think if it comes to kebap style food, its the green libanon at hafnerstrasse. nothing is more fresh, tasty, crispy and has more variety. yes, its no kebap but this spot shreds all the rest to shawarma pieces...

Agreed its yum yum !!. it is one of the 2 which I mentioned in my post. I suggest you also try the first one. Also if you know of any similar place then do post. bon appetite :-)

Quote:
View Post
Two amazing places for kebap which are not strictly doner kebaps.
1) its a takeaway shop next to Piranha bar in Langstrasse. its located outside this bar. If u are standing facing the bar then to the righthand corner outside. Fantasctic chicken kebap. They actually grill the chicken in skewers and then use that for the kebap. They have a nice array of salads, pastes, fries and interesting sauces. For veggies, the falafel is also superb

2) Its next to the Cablecom Office in Zurich HB. Next to this takeaway shop is a japanese tea shop which says "chai to go". next to that shop. the lamb minced meat kebap, chicken (non Shawarma) kebap and the mixed meat kebaps are awesome. They marinate the meat/minced meat in lovely sauces which give a fantastic flavour and taste when they fry/roast it

So if u are looking for a variety, different from regular doner, give these 2 places a go. And the best part is that these places are 1-1.5 CHF cheaper than New point joints, but offer more quantity and better variety

PS: sorry I don't have the addresses of these palces but the location should be easy to find based on what I mentioned. .
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rony_22 for this useful post:
  #88  
Old 14.03.2014, 14:22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Grisons
Posts: 288
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 202 Times in 105 Posts
banadol has earned some respectbanadol has earned some respect
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

used to be new point - shish kebab all the way! effen expensive but worth every rappen. but haven't had it for 2 years and (major craving)! hoping it's still as outstanding as i remember it. YUM!
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 23.07.2014, 19:02
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diloulou has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

Hi guys,

my friend and I are absolutely convinced that the best kebab in the world is served at the bistro mona lisa, in Richterswill. It's not Zürich city, but we still drive there regularly just for the kebab. It's really, really tasty, and the place is small but cool. I recommend!

On my way to the kebab place in Niederdorf, never tried it :-)
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 23.07.2014, 23:13
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

The Restaurant Manesse Marmara and the Restaurant Bodrum in Rüschlikon are the best Turkish places in and around Zürich

http://www.restaurantmanesse.ch/index.php/de/menukarte

and can really be recommended

>> the Iskender Kebab is a particularily delicious variant of the Döner Kebab

if you want to have the same in Arab Restaurants like the Cèdre and the Palme de Beirut simply look out for SHAWARMA Kebab
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 25.07.2014, 05:48
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,383
Groaned at 626 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 15,889 Times in 6,211 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
The Restaurant Manesse Marmara and the Restaurant Bodrum in Rüschlikon are the best Turkish places in and around Zürich

http://www.restaurantmanesse.ch/index.php/de/menukarte

and can really be recommended

>> the Iskender Kebab is a particularily delicious variant of the Döner Kebab

if you want to have the same in Arab Restaurants like the Cèdre and the Palme de Beirut simply look out for SHAWARMA Kebab
Have you actually been there or is this another suggestion like the "tram museum"?
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 25.07.2014, 05:50
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
Have you actually been there or is this another suggestion like the "tram museum"?
I have been there very often.

---

I in fact in the meantime also was in the tram museum. Which is an interesting place.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 25.07.2014, 05:51
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,383
Groaned at 626 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 15,889 Times in 6,211 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
I have been there very often.
Recently?
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 04.08.2014, 20:53
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
Recently?
Manesse Marmara and Cedre and Palme de Beirut half a year ago.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 14.08.2014, 21:40
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Zürich
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
almond tree has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

I did some research about the origins of this popular snack.

The food what we call here kebap is actually short for turkish "döner kebap".
Döner means "turning" in turkish and is believed to be invented in the 19th century by a Mr Iskender. The word "kebap" on the other hand comes from arabic and means grilled meat.

Both the Greek Gyros and Arabic shawarma are based on the Turkish original as both words can be traced back to its Turkish roots.
The word shawarma /ʃəˈwɑːrmə/ is believed to have evolved from the Turkish word çevirme [tʃeviɾˈme], a synonym of döner ("turning, spinning, rotating")

The name Gyros comes from Greek γύρος ('turn'), a calque of the Turkish döner meaning "turn",[2] a name which was previously used in Greece, spelled ντονέρ [doˈner].

I heard about a myth that kebap was invented in Berlin, which is of course nonsense as the dish is much older. However the version that we eat here in Switzerland is most certainly of the German-Turkish origin. (salad, sauces...)

Which one is the best? Well that remains a matter of taste. I personally like the purist Turkish version where the quality of meat makes additional sauces unnecessary. However even in Turkey there are huge quality differences so make sure to inform yourself.

In Switzerland the meat quality is almost consistently low, so you need to put a lot of sauces to make it taste good.

I can recommend Original Kebab Haus at Oerlikon because of the self made bread.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank almond tree for this useful post:
  #96  
Old 15.08.2014, 11:01
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
I did some research about the origins of this popular snack.

The food what we call here kebap is actually short for turkish "döner kebap".
Döner means "turning" in turkish and is believed to be invented in the 19th century by a Mr Iskender. The word "kebap" on the other hand comes from arabic and means grilled meat.

Both the Greek Gyros and Arabic shawarma are based on the Turkish original as both words can be traced back to its Turkish roots.
The word shawarma /ʃəˈwɑːrmə/ is believed to have evolved from the Turkish word çevirme [tʃeviɾˈme], a synonym of döner ("turning, spinning, rotating")

The name Gyros comes from Greek γύρος ('turn'), a calque of the Turkish döner meaning "turn",[2] a name which was previously used in Greece, spelled ντονέρ [doˈner].

I heard about a myth that kebap was invented in Berlin, which is of course nonsense as the dish is much older. However the version that we eat here in Switzerland is most certainly of the German-Turkish origin. (salad, sauces...)

Which one is the best? Well that remains a matter of taste. I personally like the purist Turkish version where the quality of meat makes additional sauces unnecessary. However even in Turkey there are huge quality differences so make sure to inform yourself.

In Switzerland the meat quality is almost consistently low, so you need to put a lot of sauces to make it taste good.

I can recommend Original Kebab Haus at Oerlikon because of the self made bread.
NO, "Döner Kebab" or (Arabic) "Shawarma Kebab" is a special sort of Kebab

Good Arab and Turkish restaurants in Zürich do NOT need lots of sauces

In the Maghreb you do not have Shawarma Kebab, but lots of other Kebabs
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #97  
Old 15.08.2014, 11:39
Ttamasle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ZH, AaA
Posts: 766
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 894 Times in 325 Posts
Ttamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
Good Arab and Turkish restaurants in Zürich do NOT need lots of sauces

In the Maghreb you do not have Shawarma Kebab, but lots of other Kebabs
Best Shawarma I've ever had had NO SAUCES at all. Just a some pickled veg and that was it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ttamasle for this useful post:
  #98  
Old 18.08.2014, 10:26
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
hlbarkan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

There is an authentic Palestinian place in Langstrasse, near the train station. Only open in the summer, it has amazing falafel and kebab - though a bit different to what you usually find in Switzerland!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank hlbarkan for this useful post:
  #99  
Old 18.08.2014, 12:59
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 88
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Biol_bloke has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
There is an authentic Palestinian place in Langstrasse, near the train station. Only open in the summer, it has amazing falafel and kebab - though a bit different to what you usually find in Switzerland!
https://www.facebook.com/PalestineGrill

This place also gets my seal of approval. Very good felafel and Shish Taouk (spelling?). A franc or two more expensive than the usual suspects but returned many fold in additional tastiness. Good homemade lemonade, ice tea etc too.

The Lebanese place in Hafnerstr is also very good for Kofte, Shawarma etc. At most of the generic döner places in Zurich the rotary meat is a bit too processed / salty / bland. If I'm at one of these I usually get kofte, pepito or something that has to get grilled up fresh.

I was in Berlin a few months back and found rotary meat perfection for around 2.50 EUR . I guess the grass is always greener...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Biol_bloke for this useful post:
  #100  
Old 19.08.2014, 02:03
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Doner Kebab in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
https://www.facebook.com/PalestineGrill

This place also gets my seal of approval. Very good felafel and Shish Taouk (spelling?). A franc or two more expensive than the usual suspects but returned many fold in additional tastiness. Good homemade lemonade, ice tea etc too.

The Lebanese place in Hafnerstr is also very good for Kofte, Shawarma etc. At most of the generic döner places in Zurich the rotary meat is a bit too processed / salty / bland. If I'm at one of these I usually get kofte, pepito or something that has to get grilled up fresh.

I was in Berlin a few months back and found rotary meat perfection for around 2.50 EUR . I guess the grass is always greener...
TAOUK is the most common spelling. You however also can write TAWOUK etc

Palestinian cuisine of course if very close to Lebanese and Jordanian cuisine
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best coffee in Zürich Gastro Gnome Food and drink 65 15.07.2013 14:44
Great falafel/doner place in Zurich, but... Siorys Complaints corner 10 16.01.2012 07:49
Doner Cocktail Sauce jerallie Food and drink 10 16.09.2011 16:13
Best Kebab in Geneva? spealfira Food and drink 23 07.03.2011 17:00


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0