Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.04.2015, 10:12
MacGregor's Daughter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 3,169
Groaned at 31 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,463 Posts
MacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond repute
Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

Call it midlife crisis, but after counting the empty pizza boxes and wine bottles in our recycling I have decided to change my lifestyke, especialIy my eating habits.

I know that Paleo has been around for a while, and after doing a lot of research I find that it is a diet that would suit me. After one week without alcohol, sugar and white flour products I can say that I have no craving for any of them. I would love to hear from others who do it and maybe get some yummy recipes.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05.04.2015, 12:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,615
Groaned at 70 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 3,773 Times in 2,049 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

I thought the other factor to make it work was heavy work-outs?
How are you doing on that front?
;-)

And surely, you didn't eat the pizzas all alone, were you?
What about the rest of your family?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05.04.2015, 14:12
MacGregor's Daughter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 3,169
Groaned at 31 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,463 Posts
MacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

We have been eating seperately lately so yes, the pizza boxes were mostly from me. My hubby goes along with it, except for the wine, and he also does work out, so that's fine. My son is a meat lover, so he is fine,too. My daughter has been eating much more healthily than me anyway, only she is a vegetarian, so she just opts out on meat, whereas she eats dairy products on which I opt out now - it never gets boring.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05.04.2015, 14:20
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,857
Groaned at 179 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 6,137 Times in 3,367 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

Quote:
View Post
Call it midlife crisis, but after counting the empty pizza boxes and wine bottles in our recycling I have decided to change my lifestyke, especialIy my eating habits.

I know that Paleo has been around for a while, and after doing a lot of research I find that it is a diet that would suit me. After one week without alcohol, sugar and white flour products I can say that I have no craving for any of them. I would love to hear from others who do it and maybe get some yummy recipes.

Without wine This is not midlife crisis ,this late life crisis ,very late
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 05.04.2015, 16:52
Patsycat's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 2,246
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,146 Posts
Patsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

I thought you were talking about the festival in Nyon!!

And i was going to say "I am so looking forward to seeing Robbie Williams"!!!

But i made a slight error, i put it down to the menopause - we can say and eat and do whatever we want. And we get away with it.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Patsycat for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 05.04.2015, 16:53
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,742
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 6,648 Times in 3,007 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

Quote:
View Post
I thought you were talking about the festival in Nyon!!

And i was going to say "I am so looking forward to seeing Robbie Williams"!!!
And Paleo Nutini?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank hannah'sauntie for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 05.04.2015, 18:01
Merrylegs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vaud/Valais
Posts: 1,003
Groaned at 31 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,323 Times in 584 Posts
Merrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

Quote:
View Post
I thought you were talking about the festival in Nyon!!

And i was going to say "I am so looking forward to seeing Robbie Williams"!!!
I made the same assumption Patsycat! My daughter has been ecstatic since she learned that Robbie Williams will be appearing at Paleo; five of her friends will be accompanying her! I must confess she did ask me if I wanted to join them, but as she is aware I will only displace myself for Rodders Stewart, Elton John, Queen, and the one and only, inimitable Tony Bennett!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Merrylegs for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 05.04.2015, 18:07
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,742
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 6,648 Times in 3,007 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

We watched a BBC programme the other day called 'Eat to live forever'. One of the diets he tried was the Paleo diet.
I have to say, as a vegetarian it's not for me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02lr435
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank hannah'sauntie for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 05.04.2015, 19:21
Uncle GroOve's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mendrisio
Posts: 1,082
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 733 Times in 382 Posts
Uncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

Quote:
View Post
We watched a BBC programme the other day called 'Eat to live forever'. One of the diets he tried was the Paleo diet.
I have to say, as a vegetarian it's not for me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02lr435
I was turned off by the whole "paleo" label when it began to be used (in the USA) by the whole libertarian / right-to-carry / crossfit / hunting / fringenut scene

But as I said - I'm probably already "doing paleo" (sans the associated nuttery).. so much for labels.



Paul

Last edited by Uncle GroOve; 05.04.2015 at 19:37.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Uncle GroOve for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 05.04.2015, 17:27
Uncle GroOve's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mendrisio
Posts: 1,082
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 733 Times in 382 Posts
Uncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

Quote:
View Post
Call it midlife crisis, but after counting the empty pizza boxes and wine bottles in our recycling I have decided to change my lifestyke, especialIy my eating habits.

I know that Paleo has been around for a while, and after doing a lot of research I find that it is a diet that would suit me. After one week without alcohol, sugar and white flour products I can say that I have no craving for any of them. I would love to hear from others who do it and maybe get some yummy recipes.
Cum grano salis was the adage at the time of the crucifixion...
Ditching one thing doesn't mean you have to necessarily jump on some kind of loony bandwagon (if you've read any of those paleo-this-and-that stories you know what i mean).

My personal experience goes like this - rev your metabolism up by increasing the amount of physical exercise, eat unprocessed food and plenty of veggies, and turn around the ratio of carbs to protein; fat isn't bad di per se so avoid all those "light" prepared foods.
For any sugar addiction - start by ditching soft drinks, then candy bars, then by getting a taste for good black coffee (the consumption of which is usually beneficial to your exercise routine)

If all this is paleo, then I'm a reborn caveman (not)

Cheers

Paul
__________________
>absence of evidence ≠ evidence of absence<
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Uncle GroOve for this useful post:
This user groans at Uncle GroOve for this post:
  #11  
Old 05.04.2015, 17:51
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 48
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
rajiv1982 has made some interesting contributions
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

I am trying paleo for past months and reduced 4 Kg. if you have doubt or wants to share any info most welcome.

rgds
rajiv
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rajiv1982 for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 05.04.2015, 22:14
MacGregor's Daughter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 3,169
Groaned at 31 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,463 Posts
MacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

Quote:
View Post
Cum grano salis was the adage at the time of the crucifixion...
Ditching one thing doesn't mean you have to necessarily jump on some kind of loony bandwagon (if you've read any of those paleo-this-and-that stories you know what i mean).

My personal experience goes like this - rev your metabolism up by increasing the amount of physical exercise, eat unprocessed food and plenty of veggies, and turn around the ratio of carbs to protein; fat isn't bad di per se so avoid all those "light" prepared foods.
For any sugar addiction - start by ditching soft drinks, then candy bars, then by getting a taste for good black coffee (the consumption of which is usually beneficial to your exercise routine)

If all this is paleo, then I'm a reborn caveman (not)

Cheers

Paul
Exactly, nothing processed, everything fresh, and I have never been one to consume soft drinks, so I won't miss them. I had one piece of dark chocolate last night and that was more than enough. It' s amazing how fast I lost my craving for sweet sugary food.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MacGregor's Daughter for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 05.04.2015, 23:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,708
Groaned at 165 Times in 104 Posts
Thanked 7,975 Times in 2,703 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

I did it 95% for a while and it really worked for me BUT - you need to be prepared to put in a lot of time for your meal prep, learn to plan and massively increase your food budget. Right now it's not possible for me to do it because I spend around 50 hours per week either at work or in class plus studying for said classes. This may be easy for some of the more driven, healthy people out there but what with my various health conditions, it's a very tough gig.

HOWEVER, I'm going to have to make time or something because I am constantly sick, growing fatter by the day and my skin is shocking. Currently on high dosage of prednisone because I got terrible bronchitis and cannot shake it. I think I made a long post somewhere about all the positive effects paleo (or whatever you want to call eating that way, I have to agree that there is a lot of silliness going on) had for me. If you search my posts, it should be more informative than this brief one.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Kittster for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 06.04.2015, 03:41
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Schaffhausen
Posts: 220
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 148 Times in 78 Posts
jwlhall has earned the respect of manyjwlhall has earned the respect of manyjwlhall has earned the respect of many
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

IMO it'll work to the extent any other fad diet works - you lose weight because you track what you eat - not because of the actual composition of your diet. I've seen people get impressive results with paleo and CrossFit - burn more calories and control the calories that go in - who would have thought it?!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jwlhall for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 06.04.2015, 09:06
MsWorWoo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich Nord
Posts: 1,900
Groaned at 57 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,161 Posts
MsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

Interestingly I saw this today.
http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2...-gatherer-guts
Indicating that people from industrialised may not be able to process the paleo diet as well as hunter-gathers.

I have no objections to the diet itself (beyond the normal objections I have to diets, ten years ago it was atkins, which worked to loose weight too, but was not healthy) but I do object to the 'scientific' part. Most of the hg communities studied in the original paper were excluded and so it is mostly taken from the arctic peoples.... Hence the little plant, and also, hg's do not tend to live as long as industrised peoples.

Watch what you eat, cut out highly processed foods, sure, but remember, if the first plants we domesticated were grains, we probably were gathering a lot of grains. Humans are very unlikely to domesticate something they never ate, we are quite lazy thinkers like that.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank MsWorWoo for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 06.04.2015, 09:30
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,157
Groaned at 211 Times in 188 Posts
Thanked 19,183 Times in 7,801 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

Quote:
View Post
IMO it'll work to the extent any other fad diet works - you lose weight because you track what you eat - not because of the actual composition of your diet. I've seen people get impressive results with paleo and CrossFit - burn more calories and control the calories that go in - who would have thought it?!
I think it works particularly well in countries where the normal diet is highly processed foods. Where fresh food is widely available (e.g. Switzerland), I'd imagine it wouldn't make a huge amount of difference.

According to an article in New Scientist (18th March, Red Lady cave burial reveals Stone Age secrets), the real paleo diet was about 80% hoofed animal (deer, ibex), the majority of the rest was fish, with a small amount of seeds and mushrooms.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 13.04.2015, 11:44
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 140
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 45 Times in 28 Posts
webdev has made some interesting contributions
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

Quote:
View Post
IMO it'll work to the extent any other fad diet works - you lose weight because you track what you eat - not because of the actual composition of your diet. I've seen people get impressive results with paleo and CrossFit - burn more calories and control the calories that go in - who would have thought it?!
Weight loss is an exact science and this comment nails it.

I have tried all sorts of diets before but I really think Paleo is the life changer.

Just cut the crap from your diet there are so many products labelled as food but they are not food, they are junk! This is why they have pretty packaging and buy 1 get 1 free offers... it's crap being sold as food.

Food = Fresh things that grow or live and you should eat them in their natural state after a little cooking or raw.

I have never seen buy 1 get 1 free on broccoli or bananas.

"Until the 19th century, the main way to turn grain into flour was to grind it between stones, sometimes powered by a water wheel. Making very fine flour took a lot of work, and it was available only in small amounts to the rich. Then high-speed, high-steel rollers, which make very fine flour quickly and inexpensively, were invented, almost instantly transforming our diets into blood-sugar nightmares.

Modern manufacturing also turns grains into highly processed forms such as cornflakes or puffed corn snacks. These foods tend to have higher Glycemic Loads (GL) than ones where the grains are left intact, like popcorn, or those milled in an old-fashioned manner, like the coarse, stone-ground whole-wheat flour used to make rustic whole-grain bread."

Cutting bread and processed foods with sugars makes you loose weight if you combine with a little exercise. Plus you will feel so much better and not bloated.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank webdev for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 07.04.2015, 17:41
Uncle GroOve's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mendrisio
Posts: 1,082
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 733 Times in 382 Posts
Uncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

Quote:
View Post
I did it 95% for a while and it really worked for me BUT - you need to be prepared to put in a lot of time for your meal prep, learn to plan and massively increase your food budget. Right now it's not possible for me to do it because I spend around 50 hours per week either at work or in class plus studying for said classes. This may be easy for some of the more driven, healthy people out there but what with my various health conditions, it's a very tough gig.

HOWEVER, I'm going to have to make time or something because I am constantly sick, growing fatter by the day and my skin is shocking. Currently on high dosage of prednisone because I got terrible bronchitis and cannot shake it. I think I made a long post somewhere about all the positive effects paleo (or whatever you want to call eating that way, I have to agree that there is a lot of silliness going on) had for me. If you search my posts, it should be more informative than this brief one.
You may want to check out Soylent (yes I know, that name)...
http://www.soylent.me

Basically the guy who started this is an IT engineer with no time or skill for cooking, but wanted to have something that was quick to prepare, nutritious and as unprocessed as possible. Still haven't tried it since my wife is a pro cook and we do have the luxury of time for grocery shopping and cooking - but the stuff has a nerdy / intelligent appeal that I just can't unforget (sic) it.

Keep well

Paul
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07.04.2015, 20:22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pfaffikon ZH
Posts: 259
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 185 Times in 77 Posts
loulabelle has no particular reputation at present
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

Quote:
View Post
Cum grano salis was the adage at the time of the crucifixion...
Ditching one thing doesn't mean you have to necessarily jump on some kind of loony bandwagon (if you've read any of those paleo-this-and-that stories you know what i mean).

My personal experience goes like this - rev your metabolism up by increasing the amount of physical exercise, eat unprocessed food and plenty of veggies, and turn around the ratio of carbs to protein; fat isn't bad di per se so avoid all those "light" prepared foods.
For any sugar addiction - start by ditching soft drinks, then candy bars, then by getting a taste for good black coffee (the consumption of which is usually beneficial to your exercise routine)

If all this is paleo, then I'm a reborn caveman (not)

Cheers

Paul
I would not say Paleo is a loony bandwagon. it's actually an amazing diet which doesnt have to be done to loose weight, i didnt do it to loose weight.... just happened..... but i had dreadful eczema and a few other random things which actually cleared up as a result of changing my diet.

I came off the paleo diet a few months ago and low and behold, eczma is back as are the other issues..... looks like i need to stop eating shite again...

i had so much energy and felt so alert when following paleo... i wasnt a 100% follower, i had cheat days.... friday mornings i allowed myself coffee and cake with friends and i had a date night with my hubby now and again and out of habit.... ended up finding ways to order my food as paleo as possible.

Against all Grain is by far the best book you can get for recipes.... they are scrumptious.... and goal Paleo mom... spinach brownies.. they are amazing!!! My kids wolf them down and i darent ever admit they are made from spinach and plantain! mwmhahahaha
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank loulabelle for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 07.04.2015, 21:22
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,275
Groaned at 145 Times in 101 Posts
Thanked 9,159 Times in 3,472 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paleo - Anyone here doing it?

And the music to the paleo diet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e0qYP_PTlY
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
healthy, stone age, teetotaler




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone here working in IT in Zürich and moved with family? noGerman Daily life 11 30.04.2014 21:11
Anyone doing Aegeri bike day? silverburn Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 9 21.05.2012 14:35
anyone purchased new furniture in US (C&B, Pottery Barn) and had it shipped here? Jaro Housing in general 4 30.05.2010 10:33
Square Foot Gardening - Has anyone tried it here? anurag Daily life 9 04.02.2010 09:52
Has anyone found it EASY to find employment here? lindalee Employment 22 11.06.2008 07:48


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0