Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #261  
Old 03.05.2021, 09:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,640 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coffee Machine recommendation ?

Quote:
View Post
Well, imo those milk compartments should be washed soon after you use this function, otherwise you can have some nasty forms of life developing there.

It's tedious, I agree. We don't use it that often, though I absolutely love Cappuccinos and lattes, just because of this reason.


Anyways, the other brand (Breville) many people here seem to love seems rather expensive already. I suppose it all boils down to how much one is disposed to spend for this little luxuries.
We're going to keep our DeLonghi as long as we can. After that, who knows, we might decide on going to the next level..
Have to report back: DeLonghi got broken some months ago. It started to leak water at first. (luckily we have a French press too)The thing is.....if it's past its warranty you're screwed, but I guess it's the same for every coffee machine.

My husband is an engineer and a very stubborn guy in general, and opened the dam' thing. He ordered the piece it was broken and replaced it. Inside, it looks like a really complicated machinery (with hundreds of little pieces) I would have never bothered to fix. I think it would have cost us as much as we payed for it when we bought it.....
I think they're fine, but expect some problems after a few years.
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 03.05.2021, 09:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,271
Groaned at 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Thanked 19,166 Times in 7,429 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coffee Machine recommendation ?

Quote:
View Post
Have to report back: DeLonghi got broken some months ago. (luckily we have a French press too). The thing is.....if it's past its warranty you're screwed, but I guess it's the same for every coffee machine.

My husband is an engineer and a very stubborn guy in general, and opened it the dam' thing. He ordered the piece it was broken and replace it. Inside, it looks a really complicated machinery I would have never bothered to fix. I think it would have cost us as much as we pay for it when we bought it.....
That sucks that yours broke down... did you try to go back to the retailer at least to ask if there was any possibility to repair?

I honestly think that a coffee machine is one of the few times where buying an extended warranty makes practical sense. It has many parts all of which are subject to constant wear and tear with each use. I'm happy I took a 5 year warranty on mine!
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 03.05.2021, 09:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,640 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coffee Machine recommendation ?

Quote:
View Post
That sucks that yours broke down... did you try to go back to the retailer at least to ask if there was any possibility to repair?

I honestly think that a coffee machine is one of the few times where buying an extended warranty makes practical sense. It has many parts all of which are subject to constant wear and tear with each use. I'm happy I took a 5 year warranty on mine!
No, OH repaired it. Without any help. But if it was just me who had to fix the problem i.e. hire someone, I think I would have simply bought another one.
In all fairness, maybe fixing it is not as expensive as a new one (I hope).
It's functioning well now, hope we'll enjoy it for another few years.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #264  
Old 03.05.2021, 09:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,271
Groaned at 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Thanked 19,166 Times in 7,429 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coffee Machine recommendation ?

Quote:
View Post
No, OH repaired it. Without any help. But if it was just me who had to fix the problem i.e. hire someone, I think I would have simply bought another one.
In all fairness, maybe fixing it is not as expensive as a new one (I hope).
It's functioning well now, hope we'll enjoy it for another few years.
Ahh ok, good that your OH did it. I think in general if the warranty has expired you can still contact the manufacturer and it if isn't far outside the warranty they often do it for free.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #265  
Old 03.05.2021, 11:09
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coffee Machine recommendation ?

Quote:
View Post
Ahh ok, good that your OH did it. I think in general if the warranty has expired you can still contact the manufacturer and it if isn't far outside the warranty they often do it for free.
I've done repairs several times on my Satrap and deLonghi badged machines, which use identical mechanisms. Couple of microswitches, a spring clip, a new knob, those sort of things, all easy enough to source online, and not rocket science to access, diagnose and replace the broken bits.

One of them eventually gave up the ghost completely (after more than ten years) something electronic this time, just wouldn't turn on any more, so I now have a nearly complete set of spares in reserve for the other one.

We had a Rowenta machine at one time, completely different and completely unrepairable, insomuch as you couldn't easily access many of the parts even after disassembling. I did look into a repair, got charged chf30 by Co-op for the privilege of them sending it off for a devis, only to tell me that it would cost more to repair than to replace. I wouldn't go down that route again.

Edit: just to add that the ones I've repaired were both of the full-size ESAM type and the internals have remained unchanged for at least 15 years that I know of. We replaced the broken one with a more compact design, in the ECAM range which shares the essential components, i.e. the grinder and brewing parts, although in a sightly different layout. They're also common to some other branded models (e.g. Saeco). Proven design of 20+ years, still going strong.

Last edited by Guest; 03.05.2021 at 11:57.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #266  
Old 03.05.2021, 16:56
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,640 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coffee Machine recommendation ?

Quote:
I've done repairs several times on my Satrap and deLonghi badged machines, which use identical mechanisms. Couple of microswitches, a spring clip, a new knob, those sort of things, all easy enough to source online, and not rocket science to access, diagnose and replace the broken bits.

One of them eventually gave up the ghost completely (after more than ten years) something electronic this time, just wouldn't turn on any more, so I now have a nearly complete set of spares in reserve for the other one.

We had a Rowenta machine at one time, completely different and completely unrepairable, insomuch as you couldn't easily access many of the parts even after disassembling. I did look into a repair, got charged chf30 by Co-op for the privilege of them sending it off for a devis, only to tell me that it would cost more to repair than to replace. I wouldn't go down that route again.

Edit: just to add that the ones I've repaired were both of the full-size ESAM type and the internals have remained unchanged for at least 15 years that I know of. We replaced the broken one with a more compact design, in the ECAM range which shares the essential components, i.e. the grinder and brewing parts, although in a sightly different layout. They're also common to some other branded models (e.g. Saeco). Proven design of 20+ years, still going strong.
It's not rocket science, I agree, but I don't think that everyone is able to fix them. I've seen that thing "eviscerated". And I don't consider myself technologically impaired. OK, I'm not the most patient person either.

@Chuff,

Have you tried Cafe Royal Crema or Espresso from Migros? Coffee beans from Honduras, Peru, a few types. I think you're going to like it.
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 03.05.2021, 17:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,271
Groaned at 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Thanked 19,166 Times in 7,429 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coffee Machine recommendation ?

Quote:
View Post
It's not rocket science, I agree, but I don't think that everyone is able to fix them. I've seen that thing "eviscerated". And I don't consider myself technologically impaired. OK, I'm not the most patient person either.

@Chuff,

Have you tried Cafe Royal Crema or Espresso from Migros? Coffee beans from Honduras, Peru, a few types. I think you're going to like it.
Thanks Greenmount, the Cafe Royal Espresso tastes just like the Caruso Espresso so I suspect Caruso is being phased out, hence why my beloved Caruso Ristretto Strength 5 has disappeared.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your Capsules Coffee machine Experience? Aldi or Tschibo? Which makes best coffee?? Buisiki Daily life 13 22.02.2016 21:23
Washing machine recommendation SwissMorgs Housing in general 24 09.07.2013 10:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0