Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 13.02.2018, 10:34
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 10,868
Groaned at 272 Times in 229 Posts
Thanked 20,068 Times in 7,310 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

Quote:
View Post
In Germany, the meat is cheap and raised cheaply. You will find that as you cook it in the pan, much more water will be released from the meat. I cannot recommend it.
In Germany do consumers simply have a choice - you can get everything from factory farmed trash all the way to high quality organic meat. Yes, if you compare a 3 EUR pack from a German hard discounter with some 12 CHF pack in Coop will the Swiss one hopefully be a bit better. If you compare apples with apples will you see that you can get easily the same quality for about half the price. Most German supermarkets have realized that there is a trend to less but therefore higher quality meat in Germany... so even some discounters by now offer certified "bio" meats.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 13.02.2018, 12:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 7,047
Groaned at 234 Times in 185 Posts
Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,876 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

Quote:
View Post
In Germany do consumers simply have a choice - you can get everything from factory farmed trash all the way to high quality organic meat. Yes, if you compare a 3 EUR pack from a German hard discounter with some 12 CHF pack in Coop will the Swiss one hopefully be a bit better. If you compare apples with apples will you see that you can get easily the same quality for about half the price. Most German supermarkets have realized that there is a trend to less but therefore higher quality meat in Germany... so even some discounters by now offer certified "bio" meats.
I think we've debated this subject numerous times before - is it worth shopping abroad? In this case - Germany. For me France is jut not an option, although I'd really love to have that choice.
So, I'll say it again - for a good quality in Germany you pay the kind of prices that make the whole adventure not worth the effort. I prefer to leave my money where they are produced - in Switzerland. A fool is what I am, I know. (the Swiss will be the first to laugh at me, am pretty sure of that)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 13.02.2018, 12:11
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 3,854
Groaned at 95 Times in 78 Posts
Thanked 6,182 Times in 2,364 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

Quote:
View Post
So, I'll say it again - for a good quality in Germany you pay the kind of prices that make the whole adventure not worth the effort. I prefer to leave my money where they are produced - in Switzerland. A fool is what I am, I know. (the Swiss will be the first to laugh at me, am pretty sure of that)
Swiss here and not at all, quite the opposite even.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 13.02.2018, 12:14
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 17,358
Groaned at 1,103 Times in 856 Posts
Thanked 46,695 Times in 14,452 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

Orange stickers FTW!

Quality meat, done dirt cheap.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 13.02.2018, 12:22
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 9,823
Groaned at 92 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 13,724 Times in 6,088 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

Quote:
View Post
I think we've debated this subject numerous times before - is it worth shopping abroad? In this case - Germany. For me France is jut not an option, although I'd really love to have that choice.
So, I'll say it again - for a good quality in Germany you pay the kind of prices that make the whole adventure not worth the effort. I prefer to leave my money where they are produced - in Switzerland. A fool is what I am, I know. (the Swiss will be the first to laugh at me, am pretty sure of that)
I could easily go over to France but for the money it would save me it's really not worth doing on a regular basis.
Most of the French meat isn't great in my opinion.

We go to France every few months for special things that are not easily available here and toiletries etc. but for the regular shopping it's just not worth the effort. By shopping carefully here and taking advantage of the offers we do pretty well.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 13.02.2018, 12:35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 451
Groaned at 76 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 364 Times in 194 Posts
Kedi has earned some respectKedi has earned some respect
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

I always buys Bio chickens or Naturafarm chickens from Coop. Are they Swiss chickens? I do not know but to me they taste great. If I go to Migros, some of them have French corn fed chickens. I never marinade. Just rub some salt and rapsöl and roast in the oven. Comes out with crispy skin. The bio chickens are really small though. For the 4 of us I find that 1 chicken is barely enough these days.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 13.02.2018, 13:18
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 575
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 479 Times in 218 Posts
Spinal has an excellent reputationSpinal has an excellent reputationSpinal has an excellent reputationSpinal has an excellent reputation
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

I tend to go for Italian meat where I can - I find Swiss chicken to be oddly tougher and stringier than anywhere else...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 13.02.2018, 13:55
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,340
Groaned at 376 Times in 299 Posts
Thanked 17,068 Times in 7,042 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

Quote:
View Post
I tend to go for Italian meat where I can - I find Swiss chicken to be oddly tougher and stringier than anywhere else...
That's what happens to chicken flesh when the chickens get to run around all day.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 13.02.2018, 14:15
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 24,452
Groaned at 1,385 Times in 1,073 Posts
Thanked 28,159 Times in 13,455 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

Quote:
View Post
I tend to go for Italian meat where I can -
I only for beef, veal, and cured pork, never fresh pork or chicken.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 13.02.2018, 14:38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
aag681 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

The question isn't about shopping abroad but buying foreign chicken here in Switzerland as it's also commonly available.
Coop has its "Quality&Prix" products and in this case chicken (or chicken breasts) is often from Austria, Slovenia or Hungary. Migros offers Hungarian chicken under "M-Budget" or "Family Migros" (I rarely shop there hence i don't know their brands that well).
And the difference in price is considerable so I wonder if this imported meat is really of a poor quality or its quality is comparable to Swiss but the Swiss price is much higher due to law, restriction how to raise and feed animals etc.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 13.02.2018, 14:43
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 24,452
Groaned at 1,385 Times in 1,073 Posts
Thanked 28,159 Times in 13,455 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

If I buy foreign chicken (or other fowl, or goat) here, then I buy French.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 13.02.2018, 14:43
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 575
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 479 Times in 218 Posts
Spinal has an excellent reputationSpinal has an excellent reputationSpinal has an excellent reputationSpinal has an excellent reputation
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

Quote:
View Post
That's what happens to chicken flesh when the chickens get to run around all day.
While possibly a contributing factor - free range chicken in the UK, Germany or Italy is still more tender than "most" Swiss chicken I've tried. I think it's a breed thing.

Annoyingly, most imported chicken I find in Switzerland seems to be battery raised in Holland... but that's not a huge issue, as with some digging you can usually find better quality.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 13.02.2018, 14:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6,296
Groaned at 208 Times in 160 Posts
Thanked 13,223 Times in 4,500 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

Quote:
View Post
While possibly a contributing factor - free range chicken in the UK, Germany or Italy is still more tender than "most" Swiss chicken I've tried. I think it's a breed thing.
or possibly a different definition of free range.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 13.02.2018, 15:01
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 9,823
Groaned at 92 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 13,724 Times in 6,088 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

Quote:
View Post
The question isn't about shopping abroad but buying foreign chicken here in Switzerland as it's also commonly available.
Coop has its "Quality&Prix" products and in this case chicken (or chicken breasts) is often from Austria, Slovenia or Hungary. Migros offers Hungarian chicken under "M-Budget" or "Family Migros" (I rarely shop there hence i don't know their brands that well).
And the difference in price is considerable so I wonder if this imported meat is really of a poor quality or its quality is comparable to Swiss but the Swiss price is much higher due to law, restriction how to raise and feed animals etc.
The prix garantie chicken breasts from the COOP are absolutely horrible. I have no idea where they are imported from but in my opinion they should stay there.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 13.02.2018, 18:45
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 10,868
Groaned at 272 Times in 229 Posts
Thanked 20,068 Times in 7,310 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

Quote:
View Post
I think we've debated this subject numerous times before - is it worth shopping abroad? In this case - Germany. For me France is jut not an option, although I'd really love to have that choice.
So, I'll say it again - for a good quality in Germany you pay the kind of prices that make the whole adventure not worth the effort. I prefer to leave my money where they are produced - in Switzerland. A fool is what I am, I know. (the Swiss will be the first to laugh at me, am pretty sure of that)
Yeah... and I'll say it again: I am happy to pay good money for good meat. But I don't like to be taken for a ride in the way Swiss retail does. A six EUR bottle of suncream made in the EU costs suddenly 20 CHF. Add this up for all the non-food stuff from toothpaste to washing detergent and you can literally save several hundreds on stuff that does not turn bad the next week. Even in our two person household without kids did this made more than sense. Not every week, but whenever it made sense did we stock up. And while I agree that on average Swiss meat is better than EU meat can I not say the same about Swiss mangos at triple the EU prices
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 14.02.2018, 09:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 6,180
Groaned at 208 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 7,761 Times in 4,052 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

Quote:
View Post
Yeah... and I'll say it again: I am happy to pay good money for good meat. But I don't like to be taken for a ride in the way Swiss retail does. A six EUR bottle of suncream made in the EU costs suddenly 20 CHF. Add this up for all the non-food stuff from toothpaste to washing detergent and you can literally save several hundreds on stuff that does not turn bad the next week. Even in our two person household without kids did this made more than sense. Not every week, but whenever it made sense did we stock up. And while I agree that on average Swiss meat is better than EU meat can I not say the same about Swiss mangos at triple the EU prices
I agree on the issue but the reason is probably a different one (mostly).

Often it's the producer/distributor who sell at a much higher price to the Swiss retailers to increase his profits. This is clearly evident in the cases the Swiss retailer takes products off the shelf to force a lower end price difference, or where the retailer has grey imports relabeled to sell them domestically and still ends up paying less than when they pay the Swiss distributor's price (e.g. Coke/Denner, Elmex as well). The same often applies when you buy from the producer directly, you're virtually guaranteed significantly different prices if you buy from the .de, .ch or .at online shop. Further, compare BMW prices in Germany and here. Heck, BMW has been fined by the SECO because they forbade their German garages sales to Swiss residents. As a consequence BMW switched to soft barriers such as loss of free service on grey imports. Of course BMW is far from the only one, it's just a particularly blatant case.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 14.02.2018, 09:56
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,017
Groaned at 300 Times in 259 Posts
Thanked 12,734 Times in 7,009 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

Quote:
View Post
The question isn't about shopping abroad but buying foreign chicken here in Switzerland as it's also commonly available.
Coop has its "Quality&Prix" products and in this case chicken (or chicken breasts) is often from Austria, Slovenia or Hungary. Migros offers Hungarian chicken under "M-Budget" or "Family Migros" (I rarely shop there hence i don't know their brands that well).
And the difference in price is considerable so I wonder if this imported meat is really of a poor quality or its quality is comparable to Swiss but the Swiss price is much higher due to law, restriction how to raise and feed animals etc.
Depends what you mean by "quality".

Usually chicken meat quality is measured as colour and texture.
Colour is easy to check yourself but until you take it home and cook it then you cannot measure the texture.

Taste is important but it is a very individual thing; "one mans meat is another mans poison"!
There are many factors that effect taste like the breed of the chicken, the food it is fed and, importantly, after slaughter, biochemical changes, causing the conversion of muscle to meat, determine final meat quality.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 14.02.2018, 10:18
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 12,038
Groaned at 155 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 14,349 Times in 7,194 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

Quote:
View Post
Is it me or are whole chickens here in the supermarket often a lot smaller than what I was used to back in the UK?
I think the biggest and tastiest chicken here I found locally in Ste. Croix. It is a turkey size and is famous for the quality. Pricey, though. I got used to buy dairy (except unpasteurized, just microfiltered milk in Fr), poultry and meat in CH, just adjust the timing for some deals - because it offers at the end more quality. France has steadily increased prices over the border, with GE serving rents.

Last edited by MusicChick; 14.02.2018 at 10:39.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 14.02.2018, 10:33
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,340
Groaned at 376 Times in 299 Posts
Thanked 17,068 Times in 7,042 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

Quote:
View Post
...... biochemical changes, causing the conversion of muscle to meat, determine final meat quality.
Muscle is meat.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 14.02.2018, 10:40
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,647
Groaned at 172 Times in 112 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chicken vs. foreign chicken

Quote:
View Post
Yeah... I don't like to be taken for a ride in the way Swiss retail does. A six EUR bottle of suncream made in the EU costs suddenly 20 CHF...
Getting Off Topic, but suncream degrades and you're doing it wrong if you're not seen with the CHF48 Daylong Bio Luxe Xtasia 5mg tube.

What you doing in Mongi?

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Uncle Max for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When Swiss chicken isn't Swiss? dodgyken Food and drink 18 11.11.2015 16:46
Chicken Stock/Chicken Broth southiemiddles Food and drink 10 05.04.2013 00:00
Chicken Pox justswiss Family matters/health 68 31.07.2012 14:55
Swiss Chicken Gastro Gnome Food and drink 17 17.09.2009 14:14
Swiss court rules on noisy chicken telandy Daily life 1 05.07.2008 16:43


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0