Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.06.2018, 17:04
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: lausanne
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
giselleg has no particular reputation at present
Portable charcoal BBQ

I'm looking to invest in a portable bbq for lake side times this summer - has anyone got any recommendations?

I was looking into the lotus grill as it seems quite easy to bring around without it being too cumbersome?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.06.2018, 17:25
drkarthiks's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 589
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 432 Times in 258 Posts
drkarthiks is considered knowledgeabledrkarthiks is considered knowledgeabledrkarthiks is considered knowledgeable
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

Quote:
View Post
I'm looking to invest in a portable bbq for lake side times this summer - has anyone got any recommendations?

I was looking into the lotus grill as it seems quite easy to bring around without it being too cumbersome?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
I have a lotus grill, they are awesome Fire up fast, nice even heating etc. They recommend normal charcoal and not long lasting briquettes, which is fair enough as you use their grill to quickly get started.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank drkarthiks for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 03.06.2018, 18:21
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: lausanne
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
giselleg has no particular reputation at present
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

Quote:
View Post
I have a lotus grill, they are awesome Fire up fast, nice even heating etc. They recommend normal charcoal and not long lasting briquettes, which is fair enough as you use their grill to quickly get started.
And its quite simple to use? Im a total bbq noob.

What is the difference between charcoal and briquettes?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03.06.2018, 19:03
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,039
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 4,123 Times in 2,119 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

Quote:
View Post
And its quite simple to use? Im a total bbq noob.

What is the difference between charcoal and briquettes?
Charcoal looks like broken pieces of black coal type wood. Briquettes are nicely formed/pressed black "marshmallows". They will both be labeled on the outside of the bag/package. Charcoal is normally less expensive.

Briquettes tends to be the premium product. It also tends to burn longer.

If you would like to see photos put both into Google and you will see lots of photos.

Last edited by Verbier; 03.06.2018 at 19:07. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03.06.2018, 19:32
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,008
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 13,449 Times in 5,276 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

Quote:
View Post
And its quite simple to use? Im a total bbq noob.

What is the difference between charcoal and briquettes?
The lotus grill is dead easy to use, and clean. It's also quite efficient in terms of fuel per serving. The downside is that the center section isn't really useful for cooking. The medium sized one will do for a party of 3 meat eaters, but you won't be feeding a rugby team with it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03.06.2018, 19:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,096
Groaned at 672 Times in 505 Posts
Thanked 14,911 Times in 5,831 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

Quote:
View Post
The lotus grill is dead easy to use, and clean. It's also quite efficient in terms of fuel per serving. The downside is that the center section isn't really useful for cooking. The medium sized one will do for a party of 3 meat eaters, but you won't be feeding a rugby team with it.
The center section is the hottest part of the grill and cooks the fastest.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03.06.2018, 19:52
drkarthiks's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 589
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 432 Times in 258 Posts
drkarthiks is considered knowledgeabledrkarthiks is considered knowledgeabledrkarthiks is considered knowledgeable
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

Quote:
View Post
The center section is the hottest part of the grill and cooks the fastest.
Yup, I start there and move things as they cook towards the outside
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03.06.2018, 20:08
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,008
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 13,449 Times in 5,276 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

Quote:
View Post
The center section is the hottest part of the grill and cooks the fastest.
Either we load the charcoal differently, or they've changed the design. The one's I've used have a plate in the middle, and it only barely gets hot enough to make meat stick to it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03.06.2018, 20:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 213 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 4,324 Times in 2,209 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

Quote:
View Post
The center section is the hottest part of the grill and cooks the fastest.
Not on the lotusgrills I've used.

The coal is in a holder in the middle which has a plate on it so the fat does not drip on the coals, due to this the hot air goes through the outer ring, only after some more time the middle starts to radiate heat.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03.06.2018, 21:15
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 8,423
Groaned at 117 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 8,930 Times in 4,765 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

This one?


Does it burn holes in the grass? They don't like that around the lake .... or anywhere actually.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03.06.2018, 21:19
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,008
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 13,449 Times in 5,276 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

Quote:
View Post
Does it burn holes in the grass? They don't like that around the lake .... or anywhere actually.
Yes. They won't even brown a newspaper they're sitting on.

A very well thought out design, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03.06.2018, 21:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 4,449
Groaned at 99 Times in 68 Posts
Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,398 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

I got a Bodum portable grill. Does the job - comes with a lid so you do stuff like lamb racks, spatchcocked chicken.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03.06.2018, 22:18
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 8,423
Groaned at 117 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 8,930 Times in 4,765 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

Quote:
View Post
Yes. They won't even brown a newspaper they're sitting on.

A very well thought out design, in my opinion.
So it would be a "no" then

Sounds good. Can't find the weight mentioned anywhere?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 03.06.2018, 22:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 213 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 4,324 Times in 2,209 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

Quote:
View Post
This one?


Does it burn holes in the grass? They don't like that around the lake .... or anywhere actually.
I assume that's the one, they also have a smaller one of 24cm but tbh that's just to small imho, that's nice for a trucker to put a not too large steak on at the parking place, the one from the photo is 32cm giving effectively 78% more surface.

All data for the 3.7KG one from the picture:
http://lotusgrill.de/tr/lotusgrill/

And the smaller one of 2.1KG which I think is stopped in production but still for sale at some spots
https://www.hawk.ch/lotusgrill-cooke...RoC1_kQAvD_BwE
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 03.06.2018, 23:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,096
Groaned at 672 Times in 505 Posts
Thanked 14,911 Times in 5,831 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

Quote:
View Post
Either we load the charcoal differently, or they've changed the design. The one's I've used have a plate in the middle, and it only barely gets hot enough to make meat stick to it.
Quote:
View Post
Not on the lotusgrills I've used.

The coal is in a holder in the middle which has a plate on it so the fat does not drip on the coals, due to this the hot air goes through the outer ring, only after some more time the middle starts to radiate heat.
I have used mine multiple times in the last weeks and each time the center seems hottest part... even if it does take a bit longer to initially heat up. Meat cooks and sticks on it easily.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03.06.2018, 23:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 213 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 4,324 Times in 2,209 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

Quote:
View Post
I have used mine multiple times in the last weeks and each time the center seems hottest part... even if it does take a bit longer to initially heat up. Meat cooks and sticks on it easily.
I guess airflow is the determinating factor here
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03.06.2018, 23:50
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Au
Posts: 631
Groaned at 30 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 817 Times in 441 Posts
JoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputation
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

Quote:
View Post
I have used mine multiple times in the last weeks and each time the center seems hottest part... even if it does take a bit longer to initially heat up. Meat cooks and sticks on it easily.
The centre temperature is affected by the fuel being used. I find the LG briketts burn to a higher temperature but the heat drops off quicker than charcoal. Tried with Weber briketts once as the store had no LG ones in stock, didn't even get hot enough to vaporise water. Either way the grills are good for steaks and sausages, not so sure about larger pieces of chicken.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03.06.2018, 23:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 213 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 4,324 Times in 2,209 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

Quote:
View Post
The centre temperature is affected by the fuel being used. I find the LG briketts burn to a higher temperature but the heat drops off quicker than charcoal. Tried with Weber briketts once as the store had no LG ones in stock, didn't even get hot enough to vaporise water. Either way the grills are good for steaks and sausages, not so sure about larger pieces of chicken.
When placed properly concerning the wind it is doable, on the other hand these things are nice in the park and we use our small BBQ's never at home and never take thick pieces of chicken to the park also since chicken is so sensitive to heat, just some packed red meat/sausages works great and does not need cooling for some hours.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04.06.2018, 17:32
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: lausanne
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
giselleg has no particular reputation at present
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

Thanks for your help everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04.06.2018, 17:45
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 10,476
Groaned at 160 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 14,733 Times in 5,976 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Portable charcoal BBQ

I've got great results from the disposable bbqs. Somehow they stay hot enought to cook for hours.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IKEA charcoal BBQ RoastedRhino Items for sale 0 25.08.2017 17:36
IKEA charcoal BBQ RoastedRhino Items for sale 0 11.07.2017 11:48
Wanted - BBQ charcoal (near Zurich) Patagonia Items wanted 1 01.05.2015 22:28
Weber charcoal BBQ Germany Jeepers141 Housing in general 8 14.05.2012 17:51
Free - Charcoal BBQ (Durnten ZH) acr Free stuff 3 25.09.2010 15:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0