Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.02.2019, 11:46
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Bern
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Triceratops has no particular reputation at present
Swiss bread recipe wanted please

I live near Interlaken and enjoy a superb bread called Eiger Brot. It is shaped like a British cottage loaf but is wholemeal with loads of seeds on the top. Iím afraid we ate the last one before thinking of taking a photo!

Does anyone know where I can find a recipe please?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.02.2019, 11:56
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 25,806
Groaned at 1,605 Times in 1,235 Posts
Thanked 29,909 Times in 14,283 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bread recipe wanted please

Just make a bread and throw some seeds on top (when I make baguettes, I roll them in them).

You can buy mixed seeds in most shops here (I normally buy Zwicky brand).

Keep the unused seeds in the freezer.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 23.02.2019, 12:41
EastEnders's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In a better place and Belp
Posts: 1,765
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,312 Times in 885 Posts
EastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bread recipe wanted please

OOookkkay. EE to the rescue....sort of.


My youngest daughter has successfully trained as a baker-confectioner, I asked her about that recipe. She confirms my suspicions, that this is an invention of a local bakery, perhaps a few bakeries, in the vincinity of Interlaken.



But it is not, a registered recipe of the Swiss Baker and Confectioner organisation (She has access to the database).


Well, I searched and found this bread from a bakery in Grindelwald





http://www.grindelwald-bakery.ch/spezialitaeten.html


If it the bread you are looking for is looking like that, then.....


It is made from rye. The website states that this bread is made with a mother-dough (pre-fermented dough) and has got a long resting time (e.g. when the dough is left covered in a bowl or special basket to rise), before finishing and baking it.





I hope I have given you enough information to look up a similar recipe, and who knows, your own version iof it might even turn out to be much yummier than the bought one
__________________
If you have something to tell me, tell me now and to my face or forever hold your piece (of mind)!!
Reply With Quote
The following 13 users would like to thank EastEnders for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 23.02.2019, 12:46
countrybumpkin's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: France
Posts: 311
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 527 Times in 217 Posts
countrybumpkin has earned the respect of manycountrybumpkin has earned the respect of manycountrybumpkin has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss bread recipe wanted please

Lots of recipes on this site, will keep you happy for weeks


https://schweizerbrot.ch/rezepte/
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank countrybumpkin for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 23.02.2019, 16:39
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Peninsula of NE US Midwest
Posts: 3,477
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,256 Times in 2,271 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bread recipe wanted please

Quote:
View Post
http://www.grindelwald-bakery.ch/spezialitaeten.html


If it the bread you are looking for is looking like that, then.....


It is made from rye.
The German wording on that page does not necessarily mean it is made "from" rye. Since the old skills needed for baking pure rye bread got almost entirely lost in Switzerland, it may just as well be mostly wheat with some rye thrown in. You can find all kinds of "rye bread" in Switzerland; almost all them are mostly wheat. The only one I know that's a pure rye bread is the Walliser Roggenbrot. Of course I may have missed a few others, but real rye bread is very rare.

One of my nieces is a baker / confectioner in Switzerland, and she has no idea of real rye bread.

Quote:
View Post
Lots of recipes on this site, will keep you happy for weeks


https://schweizerbrot.ch/rezepte/
Thanks. The Walliser Roggenbrot figures there too, and it is the only pure rye bread in that collection of recipes.
__________________

"Going after the medicaid to fix a deficit is like going after Iraq when you were attacked by 15 Saudis." ó John Fugelsang

Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 23.02.2019, 18:12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Bern
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Triceratops has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
OOookkkay. EE to the rescue....sort of.

My youngest daughter has successfully trained as a baker-confectioner, I asked her about that recipe. She confirms my suspicions, that this is an invention of a local bakery, perhaps a few bakeries, in the vincinity of Interlaken.

But it is not, a registered recipe of the Swiss Baker and Confectioner organisation (She has access to the database).

Well, I searched and found this bread from a bakery in Grindelwald

http://www.grindelwald-bakery.ch/spezialitaeten.html

If it the bread you are looking for is looking like that, then.....

It is made from rye. The website states that this bread is made with a mother-dough (pre-fermented dough) and has got a long resting time (e.g. when the dough is left covered in a bowl or special basket to rise), before finishing and baking it.

I hope I have given you enough information to look up a similar recipe, and who knows, your own version iof it might even turn out to be much yummier than the bought one
Many thanks for the quick reply and the info provided by your daughter. I suspected the íEiger brotí was a local name but itís good to have it confirmed.

I always use the pre-ferment method so Iíll experiment with a mix of rye and wheat flours as it is definitely not 100% rye.

Quote:
View Post
The German wording on that page does not necessarily mean it is made "from" rye. Since the old skills needed for baking pure rye bread got almost entirely lost in Switzerland, it may just as well be mostly wheat with some rye thrown in. You can find all kinds of "rye bread" in Switzerland; almost all them are mostly wheat. The only one I know that's a pure rye bread is the Walliser Roggenbrot. Of course I may have missed a few others, but real rye bread is very rare.

One of my nieces is a baker / confectioner in Switzerland, and she has no idea of real rye bread.

Thanks. The Walliser Roggenbrot figures there too, and it is the only pure rye bread in that collection of recipes.
This is very useful information. I know that it is not 100% rye from the crust and crumb so Iíll experiment with a mix of rye and wheat flours. Many thanks.

Quote:
View Post
Lots of recipes on this site, will keep you happy for weeks

https://schweizerbrot.ch/rezepte/
Many thanks. Iíll enjoy working through the list.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 23.02.2019 at 23:02. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Triceratops for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 23.02.2019, 18:57
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 8,717
Groaned at 50 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,257 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bread recipe wanted please

Quote:
View Post
I live near Interlaken and enjoy a superb bread called Eiger Brot. It is shaped like a British cottage loaf but is wholemeal with loads of seeds on the top. Iím afraid we ate the last one before thinking of taking a photo!

Does anyone know where I can find a recipe please?
I was today years old when I learned what British cottage loaf is.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 23.02.2019, 22:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 4,495
Groaned at 100 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 6,496 Times in 2,427 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bread recipe wanted please

You could ask at the bakery where you buy it for their recipe
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 24.02.2019, 18:09
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Bern
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Triceratops has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss bread recipe wanted please

Quote:
View Post
You could ask at the bakery where you buy it for their recipe
I had thought of that but my German is not good enough and I doubt the bakery assistants would be too cooperative. I have loads of Swiss/German Breadmaking books so I'm getting closer to the right recipe I think. Will be experimenting soon! Thanks for your post.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bread, recipe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spicy meatballs recipe wanted - what's yours? glowjupiter Food and drink 5 08.08.2015 10:57
Looking for Pretzel Roll Bread recipe ZurichSwissMiss Food and drink 2 01.10.2012 10:57
Naan Bread Recipe Anyone? strollingby Food and drink 14 12.01.2010 11:31
Birchermuesli recipe please. corrieorrie Food and drink 5 04.12.2009 15:57
Recipe Wanted SwissMs2000 Food and drink 4 17.06.2009 23:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0