Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29.10.2019, 15:46
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,661
Groaned at 586 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,719 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Anyone able to shed any light as to why cooking oil is so expensive here? I understand the Swiss mark up on many products but on cooking oil itís unbelievable. Bog standard Sunflower oil or Rapeseed oil costs about Ä1 a bottle in Germany. Here itís about 5 chf. Anyone know why? Iím not even sure itís produced in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29.10.2019, 15:55
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,613
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,460 Times in 7,743 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Quote:
View Post
Anyone able to shed any light as to why cooking oil is so expensive here? I understand the Swiss mark up on many products but on cooking oil itís unbelievable. Bog standard Sunflower oil or Rapeseed oil costs about Ä1 a bottle in Germany. Here itís about 5 chf. Anyone know why? Iím not even sure itís produced in Switzerland.
because stupid people are willing to pay 5chf, so they charge 5chf.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 29.10.2019, 16:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Quote:
View Post
Anyone able to shed any light as to why cooking oil is so expensive here? I understand the Swiss mark up on many products but on cooking oil itís unbelievable. Bog standard Sunflower oil or Rapeseed oil costs about Ä1 a bottle in Germany. Here itís about 5 chf. Anyone know why? Iím not even sure itís produced in Switzerland.
Eh? In Germany it's between EUR 3.10-4.70 per litre, depending on whether it's supermarket budget or fancy-pants.

Here it seems to be CHF 3.90 (cheapo) - CHF 7.00 (posh). Not THAT big a difference to over the border. Where specifically are you shopping? Globus?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 29.10.2019, 16:06
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,971
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Quote:
View Post
Anyone able to shed any light as to why cooking oil is so expensive here? I understand the Swiss mark up on many products but on cooking oil it’s unbelievable. Bog standard Sunflower oil or Rapeseed oil costs about €1 a bottle in Germany. Here it’s about 5 chf. Anyone know why? I’m not even sure it’s produced in Switzerland.
What's 5CHF? That's nothing
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 29.10.2019, 16:11
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,128
Groaned at 369 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 14,111 Times in 6,569 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Check out Aldi and Lidl....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 29.10.2019, 16:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Quote:
Eh? In Germany it's between EUR 3.10-4.70 per litre, depending on whether it's supermarket budget or fancy-pants.

Here it seems to be CHF 3.90 (cheapo) - CHF 7.00 (posh). Not THAT big a difference to over the border. Where specifically are you shopping? Globus?
Where in Germany do you shop?

Sunflower oil in Germany can easily be found for 1,- and almost every supermarket has 1L bottles for 1,50

Switzerland is with the little stuff most often more expensive than our neighbouring countries, and some things like oil it is much more expensive.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 29.10.2019, 16:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Quote:
Where in Germany do you shop?

Sunflower oil in Germany can easily be found for 1,- and almost every supermarket has 1L bottles for 1,50

Switzerland is with the little stuff most often more expensive than our neighbouring countries, and some things like oil it is much more expensive.
Looked on a German price comparison site but, having looked again, it filtered out everything except Kaufland products. Yup, you can get it cheaper.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 29.10.2019, 16:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Quote:
Looked on a German price comparison site but, having looked again, it filtered out everything except Kaufland products. Yup, you can get it cheaper.
Time to start using another price comparison site (or better, search directly since Germany lacks great price comparison sites)

https://www.kaufland.de/sortiment/da...d=3901030.html

0,99
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 29.10.2019, 16:36
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,661
Groaned at 586 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,719 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Quote:
View Post
What's 5CHF? That's nothing
Itís not about being unable to afford it, Iím curious as to why itís so much more expensive.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 29.10.2019, 16:36
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,661
Groaned at 586 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,719 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Quote:
View Post
Check out Aldi and Lidl....
Even there I think itís still 3.50+ chf.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 29.10.2019, 16:45
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,909
Groaned at 2,389 Times in 1,737 Posts
Thanked 38,855 Times in 18,315 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Why sell it for CHF 1 if people will pay CHF 4?

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29.10.2019, 16:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Protection of domestic agriculture. See, we should be in the EU.

Unprotected olive oil is roughly the same price.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 29.10.2019, 16:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Quote:
Protection of domestic agriculture. See, we should be in the EU.
I can't think of a single EU economy I'd like to trade for our Swiss economy.

Can you?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 29.10.2019, 17:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Protection of Swiss agriculture, far higher salaries and rent, smaller market, customer willing to pay more
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 29.10.2019, 17:16
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,613
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,460 Times in 7,743 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

due to the higher quality swiss sunflowers and the artisan flower pickers that are trained over generations...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 29.10.2019, 17:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 9,377
Groaned at 499 Times in 370 Posts
Thanked 12,470 Times in 6,470 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Quote:
far higher salaries
That appears to be largely compensated by other factors.

Longer working hours, lower additional costs ("Lohnnebenkosten") such as social security costs, fewer absences due to illness, and often higher productivity, result in comparable or even lower cost per output in CH. For instance Swiss retailers enjoy a 5% cost advantage over their competitors in the neighboring countries according to this study that was, mind, financed by the big retailers themselves (except Aldi and Lidl).
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 29.10.2019, 17:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Quote:
Protection of Swiss agriculture, far higher salaries and rent, smaller market, customer willing to pay more
Transport/storage more expensive, less subsidies for internal market, to rent a building and maintain installations etc.. is all much more expensive. Products often produced on smaller scale. And last but not least the Swiss franc has become worth so much more over the last decades.

10 to 20 years ago 1 Euro was about 1,53 / 1,67 CHF now over the last years it is around 1,10 / 1,15 chf. That is one of the main reasons Switzerland feels so damn expensive and why the paychecks feel to incredible high here for a lot of jobs.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 29.10.2019, 18:31
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,105
Groaned at 344 Times in 278 Posts
Thanked 23,193 Times in 8,380 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Quote:
Transport/storage more expensive, less subsidies for internal market, to rent a building and maintain installations etc.. is all much more expensive. Products often produced on smaller scale. And last but not least the Swiss franc has become worth so much more over the last decades.

10 to 20 years ago 1 Euro was about 1,53 / 1,67 CHF now over the last years it is around 1,10 / 1,15 chf. That is one of the main reasons Switzerland feels so damn expensive and why the paychecks feel to incredible high here for a lot of jobs.

1) We are not discussing some ultra-rare 100% organic hipster stuff... but basic cooking oil. Its not small batch production in CH, it comes from the same mass producers as in the neighbouring countries. I actually believe we import a lot from the US.


2) the argument that the Swiss franc is much stronger today... well, it doesnt make much sense, does it? If anything should the change in exchange rate have trigerred a cheaper price.



The reason is simple: CH is a rather protected market with a duopoly in groceries. The new players like Aldi and Lidl apparently decided to not really go full power in competing, but rather be a bit cheaper and still make very nice margins. Swiss consumers are getting screwed daily but have nobody but themselves to blame for as they are so incredibly price insensitive that none of the shops see a need to be more competitive.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 29.10.2019, 18:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Quote:
View Post
1) We are not discussing some ultra-rare 100% organic hipster stuff... but basic cooking oil. Its not small batch production in CH, it comes from the same mass producers as in the neighbouring countries. I actually believe we import a lot from the US.
Amount of stuff bought has a direct relation to the price. The more you buy the cheaper it gets, and Switzerland is a relatively small market.
Quote:


2) the argument that the Swiss franc is much stronger today... well, it doesnt make much sense, does it? If anything should the change in exchange rate have trigerred a cheaper price.
Sure it makes a difference, it makes stuff in Germany much cheaper when compared to our market, also the wages, rents and such become much more expensive when compared to Germany.

If the Euro is 1.67chf and something costs chf 4,- here and Ä2,- in Germany the price difference is little. Now the Euro is about 1,15 chf, so to us the thing in Germany costs only 2,30 CHF but ours is still 4,- our cash register lady earns double when compared to Germany by now. And no this is not levelled when taking in account lower costs for employers, so stores only have a limited possibility of lowering the prices due to import with a stronger Franc.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 30.10.2019, 07:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 604
Groaned at 50 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 547 Times in 289 Posts
ch2013 has made some interesting contributions
Re: Whatís with the price of Cooking Oil?

Quote:
I can't think of a single EU economy I'd like to trade for our Swiss economy.

Can you?
Maybe Luxembourg?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The falling price of oil Litz Daily life 22 10.01.2015 19:14
Heating oil price at the lowest for many years telandy Housing in general 0 19.11.2014 19:42
Cooking Oil Waste abangr Other/general 7 03.01.2013 09:53
Oil Change - What to do With the Old Oil? mgmidget72 Transportation/driving 1 18.08.2008 12:58
What is the price of furniture in Zurich? suissa Other/general 5 06.02.2007 13:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0