Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.04.2020, 20:32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: La Cote
Posts: 382
Groaned at 18 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 307 Times in 147 Posts
Nyonais has made some interesting contributions
Does alcohol get bad?

I was cleaning up the bar and found a lot of whiskies, liqueurs and other types of alcohol such as grappa, schnapps, Port, Bols, Goan feni etc. Some in sealed bottles, some in half empty bottles etc. Some of them, based on memory seem to be older than twenty years. A casual check of the contents of some of the open bottles indicates nothing wrong. I have even tasted some and they appear alright.

My question is, does alcohol (not wines) get bad, become undrinkable?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.04.2020, 20:37
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does alcohol get bad?

Quote:
View Post
I was cleaning up the bar and found a lot of whiskies, liqueurs and other types of alcohol such as grappa, schnapps, Port, Bols, Goan feni etc. Some in sealed bottles, some in half empty bottles etc. Some of them, based on memory seem to be older than twenty years. A casual check of the contents of some of the open bottles indicates nothing wrong. I have even tasted some and they appear alright.

My question is, does alcohol (not wines) get bad, become undrinkable?
Generally speaking, no. If you're still uncertain, I'm sure that some fellow EFer would be glad to test it for you.
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 30.04.2020, 20:41
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,796
Groaned at 152 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 4,785 Times in 1,882 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does alcohol get bad?

"The bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean..."
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 30.04.2020, 20:58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: La Cote
Posts: 382
Groaned at 18 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 307 Times in 147 Posts
Nyonais has made some interesting contributions
Re: Does alcohol get bad?

Quote:
View Post
Generally speaking, no. If you're still uncertain, I'm sure that some fellow EFer would be glad to test it for you.
Thanks. I am fairly adventurous in that area myself
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nyonais for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 30.04.2020, 21:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 5,202
Groaned at 292 Times in 206 Posts
Thanked 7,110 Times in 3,347 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does alcohol get bad?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks. I am fairly adventurous in that area myself
Be careful of anything that might have had creme in it. Baileys for example. It may not be bad, but it is going to taste bad.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 30.04.2020, 21:28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: La Cote
Posts: 382
Groaned at 18 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 307 Times in 147 Posts
Nyonais has made some interesting contributions
Re: Does alcohol get bad?

Quote:
View Post
Be careful of anything that might have had creme in it. Baileys for example. It may not be bad, but it is going to taste bad.
Thanks, Baileys doesn't last very long in our household. There is a bottle of Amarula but that is in the fridge.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30.04.2020, 22:05
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,145
Groaned at 88 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 18,868 Times in 8,404 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does alcohol get bad?

Quote:
View Post
Generally speaking, no. If you're still uncertain, I'm sure that some fellow EFer would be glad to test it for you.
Wines can really taste bad if they are stored in a warm place for a long time.

Quote:
View Post
Thanks, Baileys doesn't last very long in our household. There is a bottle of Amarula but that is in the fridge.
Amarula can also get a bit dodgy in the fridge. It's a special taste so we don't drink huge quantities of it. We received a large bottle several years back at Christmas and after about 18 months it smelled like it had soured so we tossed it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.05.2020, 08:23
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,971
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Does alcohol get bad?

Quote:
View Post
I was cleaning up the bar and found a lot of whiskies, liqueurs and other types of alcohol such as grappa, schnapps, Port, Bols, Goan feni etc. Some in sealed bottles, some in half empty bottles etc. Some of them, based on memory seem to be older than twenty years. A casual check of the contents of some of the open bottles indicates nothing wrong. I have even tasted some and they appear alright.

My question is, does alcohol (not wines) get bad, become undrinkable?
Wow. You have a bar. Only alcoholics have bar's! Its not the alcohol that goes bad its the...............!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users groan at omtatsat for this post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alcohol at midday Guest Daily life 40 26.01.2015 08:41
Looking for alcohol in Lausanne TheRev22 Daily life 34 21.08.2013 16:28
Alcohol at Migros spangley Daily life 60 03.11.2012 21:38
Migros=no Alcohol superbat Daily life 68 01.11.2012 23:07
Alcohol questions kitten23kate Food and drink 5 17.05.2010 08:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0