Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 28.01.2021, 02:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,797
Groaned at 72 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,946 Times in 1,127 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

Freixenet Alchol free sparkling wine isn't bad.
Otherwise tonic, tonic with water, tonic with sparking water as if has associations with G&T, VAT.


I gave up drinking a couple of years ago and don't really miss it. I'm fussier with wine now. I'll usually take a sip, decide it's not really that good and leave it. I do sometimes feel like a boring bastard though but not too often. I found I could in fact have a good time without drinking.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 28.01.2021, 10:06
magic's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,106
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 733 Times in 316 Posts
magic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

I have a passion for cold tomato juice now and then, not sure it's that good for me but definitely beats alcohol.

I caught myself having the odd beer and wine to often and now a few weeks in, I don't miss it and certainly I thank myself for not indulging and the next days become too hard and just not worth the little enjoyment I get from it.

Most probably not that well written but I hope you get the gist.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank magic for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 28.01.2021, 10:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,698
Groaned at 1,279 Times in 855 Posts
Thanked 20,139 Times in 7,757 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,


Im extending dry January into dry February and dry March. I was wondering if anyone has good alcohol free drink recommendations and where to get them?


Unfortunately I am coeliac and cannot drink AF (alcohol free) beers. From my AF exploration I have tried the seedlip Gin AF range (number 94 is best of the three https://www.drinks.ch/de/seedlip-edi...e-94-70cl.html) I can also recommend Thomas Henry ginger beer which is quite spicey and I genuinely enjoy https://www.drinks.ch/de/thomas-henr...-4er-pack.html


There are a couple of AF gins that I cannot seem to find in switzerland ( like the gordons one).

I have no experience with AF cider (which I believe should be glutenfree) or AF wine. Anyone else explore these and might be able to share where to source them.
Hi marmot your extending dry January is commendable, I did a dry January in 2020 and ended up extending it significantly longer. However, if you are giving up alcohol then why are you looking to emulate the taste and drinking experience? If you are stopping alcohol then don't just give your body a break, give your mind a break too. Are you so worried about not drinking that you really need to try and trick your mind to think that you're drinking something alcoholic? Just let go of it for a couple of months, including the taste.

Water and tea are your friend.

Quote:
View Post
Water. Alcohol free, sugar free, bubble free, preservative free, colour free and best of all it is free straight from the tap.
I have to "ditto" on this. I drink almost exclusively cold water. For hot drinks it's either coffee (never after 3pm) mint tea, ginger tea or green tea, or black tea.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 28.01.2021, 11:25
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: wallisellen
Posts: 199
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 268 Times in 94 Posts
irish_marmot has earned the respect of manyirish_marmot has earned the respect of manyirish_marmot has earned the respect of many
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

Quote:
View Post
Hi marmot your extending dry January is commendable, I did a dry January in 2020 and ended up extending it significantly longer. However, if you are giving up alcohol then why are you looking to emulate the taste and drinking experience? If you are stopping alcohol then don't just give your body a break, give your mind a break too. Are you so worried about not drinking that you really need to try and trick your mind to think that you're drinking something alcoholic? Just let go of it for a couple of months, including the taste.

Water and tea are your friend.

I have to "ditto" on this. I drink almost exclusively cold water. For hot drinks it's either coffee (never after 3pm) mint tea, ginger tea or green tea, or black tea.

Hi chuff,
Im not worried & Im not trying to trick my brain. Just being prepared. I have also very much worked on my mindset and I am aware of the relationship btw the concious and sub-concious brain and how we consume alcohol. In general, if you are quitting, it is recommended good practice to have substitutes ready for when you may unwittingly slip (for example friday evening, tired, mr irish_marmot preparing GTs). I believe after an extended period (6 months? a year? dont know) they are no longer needed. I genuinely enjoy seedlip alcohol free gin and a fever tree ginger ale on a friday evening. I drink lots of water (love water) but Friday evening when the others (in non-covid times) are having a drink I may want one too. Then I want to be prepared. There is great literature on this (annie grace "this naked mind", craig beck "alcohol lied to me", porter "alcohol explained") and this is essentially the recommended approach to enable the mindset change.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank irish_marmot for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 28.01.2021, 11:30
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: wallisellen
Posts: 199
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 268 Times in 94 Posts
irish_marmot has earned the respect of manyirish_marmot has earned the respect of manyirish_marmot has earned the respect of many
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

Guys!!! Thank you so much, great great recommendations here that I did not know of before! You have saved me trying somethings and have suggested some I had not heard of before! Looking forward to trying them.
x
IM
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank irish_marmot for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 28.01.2021, 11:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,698
Groaned at 1,279 Times in 855 Posts
Thanked 20,139 Times in 7,757 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

Quote:
View Post
In general, if you are quitting, it is recommended good practice to have substitutes ready for when you may unwittingly slip (for example friday evening, tired, mr irish_marmot preparing GTs). I believe after an extended period (6 months? a year? dont know)
Ahh, you are talking about quitting permanently now? You just said it was a small extension on dry January so I was just saying to have a full break. Also yeah, I guess if you have a partner who likes to drink and yet isn't joining you for this 'Dry Quarter' than that makes it a lot tougher. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 28.01.2021, 11:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,132
Groaned at 356 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 16,421 Times in 8,344 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

Quote:
View Post
Hi marmot your extending dry January is commendable, I did a dry January in 2020 and ended up extending it significantly longer. However, if you are giving up alcohol then why are you looking to emulate the taste and drinking experience? If you are stopping alcohol then don't just give your body a break, give your mind a break too. Are you so worried about not drinking that you really need to try and trick your mind to think that you're drinking something alcoholic? Just let go of it for a couple of months, including the taste.

Water and tea are your friend.



I have to "ditto" on this. I drink almost exclusively cold water. For hot drinks it's either coffee (never after 3pm) mint tea, ginger tea or green tea, or black tea.
While I'd agree there's nothing better than plain water, I don't believe it's so easy to get rid of some habits without tricking your brain with healthier substitutes at least in the beginning....I have a problem with quitting coffee for instance. I mean, reducing my intake of caffeine. Yes, I drink decaf to fool my brain that I'm getting the heavenly liquor.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 28.01.2021, 11:42
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: wallisellen
Posts: 199
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 268 Times in 94 Posts
irish_marmot has earned the respect of manyirish_marmot has earned the respect of manyirish_marmot has earned the respect of many
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

Quote:
View Post
Ahh, you are talking about quitting permanently now? You just said it was a small extension on dry January so I was just saying to have a full break. Also yeah, I guess if you have a partner who likes to drink and yet isn't joining you for this 'Dry Quarter' than that makes it a lot tougher. Good luck!



Honestly right now I am just evaluating my relationship with alcohol & quitting for 3 months. After 3 months (or about 100 days) Ill reevaluate it in my diet then. There is so much positive marketing around it (especially targetted at women my age btw), I want to make sure I have a healthy relationship to all the stimulants in my life and that I control them, not them me.



As a side note - I find caffeine much harder to cut back on, but if I cut out alcohol then cutting back caffeine to one cup of tea or coffee a day is trivial.


Ill leave you with a quote from WC Fields "Now don't say you can't swear off drinking; it's easy. I've done it a thousand times."
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank irish_marmot for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 28.01.2021, 11:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,698
Groaned at 1,279 Times in 855 Posts
Thanked 20,139 Times in 7,757 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

Quote:
View Post
Honestly right now I am just evaluating my relationship with alcohol & quitting for 3 months. After 3 months (or about 100 days) Ill reevaluate it in my diet then. There is so much positive marketing around it (especially targetted at women my age btw), I want to make sure I have a healthy relationship to all the stimulants in my life and that I control them, not them me.

As a side note - I find caffeine much harder to cut back on, but if I cut out alcohol then cutting back caffeine to one cup of tea or coffee a day is trivial.

Ill leave you with a quote from WC Fields "Now don't say you can't swear off drinking; it's easy. I've done it a thousand times."
There will probably never a better time to give up alcohol than during a lengthy pandemic while the social pressure of going out and meeting people and having drinks is out of the equation. Your partner will likely be a crucial factor in your success though, depending on how seriously and supportively he takes your efforts. It's really worth it though.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 28.01.2021, 12:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,132
Groaned at 356 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 16,421 Times in 8,344 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

Quote:
View Post
There will probably never a better time to give up alcohol than during a lengthy pandemic while the social pressure of going out and meeting people and having drinks is out of the equation. Your partner will likely be a crucial factor in your success though, depending on how seriously and supportively he takes your efforts. It's really worth it though.
Yep. Perhaps one of the few (relatively) good things about this sh...uhm lengthy pandemic. But I so miss that social pressure of going out and meeting people. I've always been the designated driver so refraining from booze was never an issue for me. Coffee on the other hand....

@irish_marmot: Kudos to you for reevaluating your diet and drinking habits!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 28.01.2021, 12:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,698
Groaned at 1,279 Times in 855 Posts
Thanked 20,139 Times in 7,757 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

Quote:
View Post
Yep. Perhaps one of the few (relatively) good things about this sh...uhm lengthy pandemic.
Ironically, this pandemic is the best and most transformative thing that has ever happened for my health in pretty much every respect I can think of. Despite all of the terrible effects the pandemic has had worldwide, in my own bubble of life I have done my utmost to make the best of it and I think it's been about as peaceful and relaxing as life can get.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 28.01.2021, 13:23
kri's Avatar
kri kri is online now
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,148
Groaned at 43 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 1,940 Times in 983 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

Quote:
View Post
Honestly right now I am just evaluating my relationship with alcohol & quitting for 3 months. After 3 months (or about 100 days) Ill reevaluate it in my diet then. There is so much positive marketing around it (especially targetted at women my age btw), I want to make sure I have a healthy relationship to all the stimulants in my life and that I control them, not them me.



As a side note - I find caffeine much harder to cut back on, but if I cut out alcohol then cutting back caffeine to one cup of tea or coffee a day is trivial.


Ill leave you with a quote from WC Fields "Now don't say you can't swear off drinking; it's easy. I've done it a thousand times."
I did this too and now drink perhaps once every couple of weeks if at all and really enjoy it (as opposed to the "it's 6 PM" drink).

I started hating all the portraits and memes of women needing drinks to get through work, life with kids etc. I mean WTF?

OP if you have not read it yet, Quit like a woman is an excellent read.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank kri for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 28.01.2021, 13:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 2,228
Groaned at 406 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 4,562 Times in 1,654 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

I like Andros Citron with Pellegrino, lemon slices & mint.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 28.01.2021, 13:59
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Here
Posts: 512
Groaned at 59 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 1,470 Times in 523 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

Mulled apple juice is good. Add honey, cinnamon, cloves and whatever else you wish.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 28.01.2021, 14:08
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: wallisellen
Posts: 199
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 268 Times in 94 Posts
irish_marmot has earned the respect of manyirish_marmot has earned the respect of manyirish_marmot has earned the respect of many
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

Quote:
View Post

I started hating all the portraits and memes of women needing drinks to get through work, life with kids etc. I mean WTF?

OP if you have not read it yet, Quit like a woman is an excellent read.

Kri, thats exactly how I feel, and it seems to be worse in lockdown via social media etc. So less social media (another stimulant!) but also this alcohol free stint. Thanks for the book recommendation. I had seen it in my searches but was not certain - Ill try it next!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank irish_marmot for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 28.01.2021, 14:09
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 34
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 101 Times in 27 Posts
Juliet31 is considered knowledgeableJuliet31 is considered knowledgeableJuliet31 is considered knowledgeable
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

"The Sober Diaries"by Claire Pooley is also a great read. And there is a podcast called "The Bubble Hour", which I would also recommend.

Last edited by Juliet31; 28.01.2021 at 14:17. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Juliet31 for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 28.01.2021, 14:36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts
curiousnomad has earned some respectcuriousnomad has earned some respect
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

So many great ideas above, that I look forward to trying myself. I haven't touched alcohol for two years now, and couldn't imagine going back.

https://crodino.com/ is a great one. It is both vegan and gluten-free.
I also like Chinnoto.
There is some great kombucha brew out there, but do look for brands that are unpasteurized and low on sugar.
This one, based out of Zug, is unpasteurized, organic, & unfiltered. You can order online. https://swisskombuchacompany.ch/

Also, maybe indulge in loose leaf teas from specialty shops and splurge on a high-quality teapot. You could even make your own ice tea.
This is my favorite teapot: https://menuspace.com/products/kettle-teapot-glass
I like the tea-blends from here: https://www.lacucina.ch/

Good luck with it!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank curiousnomad for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 28.01.2021, 14:51
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,472
Groaned at 578 Times in 453 Posts
Thanked 24,631 Times in 9,919 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

Quote:
View Post
While I'd agree there's nothing better than plain water, I don't believe it's so easy to get rid of some habits without tricking your brain with healthier substitutes at least in the beginning....I have a problem with quitting coffee for instance. I mean, reducing my intake of caffeine. Yes, I drink decaf to fool my brain that I'm getting the heavenly liquor.
There's not too much wrong health-wise with coffee - if you don't have too much.

Switching to espresso-based drinks with arabica beans keeps the caffeine levels right down compared with, for example, filter coffee or cheaper coffee made with arabica beans.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 28.01.2021, 15:31
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 2,228
Groaned at 406 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 4,562 Times in 1,654 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

This book helps me keep things in check...many quit for good after reading it, I just have discipline (most of the time). Almost finished with my dry January, it has done me a world of good & I will continue to go on 3-4 week breaks throughout the year if I feel like I've overdone it.

https://www.amazon.com/This-Naked-Mi.../dp/B077VTJC8P

This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol, Find Freedom, Discover Happiness & Change Your Life, Annie Grace
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 28.01.2021, 15:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,698
Groaned at 1,279 Times in 855 Posts
Thanked 20,139 Times in 7,757 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: alcohol free drinks - recommendations?

Quote:
View Post
There's not too much wrong health-wise with coffee - if you don't have too much.

Switching to espresso-based drinks with arabica beans keeps the caffeine levels right down compared with, for example, filter coffee or cheaper coffee made with arabica beans.
My morning coffee is now sacred.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommendations for grain free & poultry free dog food? jessicakate Pet corner 9 18.12.2017 23:31
Clausthaler alcohol-free beer Stevepos Food and drink 2 06.09.2017 18:04
alcohol free beer in switzerland newstudent Food and drink 15 21.01.2015 00:19
Does anybody want some Alcohol free beer for free? nikki_shannon Food and drink 43 16.12.2012 16:26
Where to find alcohol free wine around Zurich sarel Food and drink 7 24.06.2012 21:24


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0