Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 01.04.2021, 11:50
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,516
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,652 Times in 18,690 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Quote:
View Post
Wild garlic pesto - I like to do it like the traditional pesto with a bit of parmesan and add nuts. Like pine nuts, almonds or cashews
With aglio orsino I always use almonds.

It also fries well.

And always use it raw, not cooked.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 01.04.2021, 12:09
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Quote:
View Post
.... Just bought a bunch of wild garlic from Farmy, before having a clear idea about what to do with it (typical me) thanks for this great idea. Garlic pesto on bread, yummmy.
Great thread, OP.
Quote:
View Post
You BUY it?

We just collect it, plan to get some Saturday.

Tom
Are you guys talking bear leek? I didn't know one can buy it either. Sihlwald used to be full of it, so full that you could smell it driving home through Sihltalstrasse. I doubt that's changed.

I bet garlic consumption has risen during lock-down. There are advantages in keeping the distance.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01.04.2021, 12:21
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Geneva
Posts: 710
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 843 Times in 356 Posts
MajorGrubert has a reputation beyond reputeMajorGrubert has a reputation beyond reputeMajorGrubert has a reputation beyond reputeMajorGrubert has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

In Spain, Good Friday is a no-meat day so a dish traditionally eaten on that date is "potaje de vigilia" (a hearty soup with chickpeas, codfish and spinach).



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuYXXjTBohA&t=61s
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank MajorGrubert for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 01.04.2021, 13:44
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,456
Groaned at 54 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,148 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Quote:
View Post
Are you guys talking bear leek? I didn't know one can buy it either. Sihlwald used to be full of it, so full that you could smell it driving home through Sihltalstrasse. I doubt that's changed.

I bet garlic consumption has risen during lock-down. There are advantages in keeping the distance.
Did not know it was called that also Yes it is that. The Uetliberg is also full of it. Just be careful as it looks very much like Maiglöcken (lily of the valley), and Herbstzeitlose (autumn crocus) which are both poisonous.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank kri for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 01.04.2021, 13:49
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Quote:
View Post
Did not know it was called that also Yes it is that. The Uetliberg is also full of it. Just be careful as it looks very much like Maiglöcken (lily of the valley), and Herbstzeitlose (autumn crocus) which are both poisonous.
The smell kind of gives it away, eih?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 01.04.2021, 13:53
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,516
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,652 Times in 18,690 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Ramsons in English.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01.04.2021, 14:00
summergirl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 384
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 716 Times in 247 Posts
summergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Quote:
View Post
In Spain, Good Friday is a no-meat day so a dish traditionally eaten on that date is "potaje de vigilia" (a hearty soup with chickpeas, codfish and spinach).



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuYXXjTBohA&t=61s
Thanks for this meat-free recipe! Looks good too and will save it under my to-cook list
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank summergirl for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 01.04.2021, 14:06
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Quote:
View Post
Ramsons in English.

Tom
Ramson, buckrams, bear leek, bear's garlic, broad leaved garlic, wild garlic, wood garlic .... take your pick. Who would have thought, normally the English have one word for 5 completely different things.

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for this meat-free recipe! Looks good too and will save it under my to-cook list
You got one of those too? Mine is called "try_out_TRY_OUT".
But it is sooooo long by now
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 01.04.2021, 14:07
summergirl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 384
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 716 Times in 247 Posts
summergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Quote:
View Post
Are you guys talking bear leek? I didn't know one can buy it either. Sihlwald used to be full of it, so full that you could smell it driving home through Sihltalstrasse. I doubt that's changed.

I bet garlic consumption has risen during lock-down. There are advantages in keeping the distance.
Yes, I cook a lot more with garlic now that we don't have to worry about your poor colleague sitting next to you the next day. And as long as you all eat the same thing in the household, you don't smell the garlic off each other!

I plucked a lot of Bärlauch last year, washed it and made pesto out of it, with olive oil and pine nuts. Great on toasts etc!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baerlauch.jpg (61.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Baerlauch pesto.jpg (40.3 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank summergirl for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 01.04.2021, 14:09
summergirl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 384
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 716 Times in 247 Posts
summergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Quote:
View Post
Ramson, buckrams, bear leek, bear's garlic, broad leaved garlic, wild garlic, wood garlic .... take your pick. Who would have thought, normally the English have one word for 5 completely different things.


You got one of those too? Mine is called "try_out_TRY_OUT".
But it is sooooo long by now

I am trying to go down my list....half of it are for "actual cooking/baking", half of it is to "just watch the-very-satisfying-video" and just wishing someone would make it for me
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01.04.2021, 14:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,320
Groaned at 401 Times in 327 Posts
Thanked 17,325 Times in 8,770 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, I cook a lot more with garlic now that we don't have to worry about your poor colleague sitting next to you the next day. And as long as you all eat the same thing in the household, you don't smell the garlic off each other!

I plucked a lot of Bärlauch last year, washed it and made pesto out of it, with olive oil and pine nuts. Great on toasts etc!
I'll pay more attention to it from now on... Btw, does anyone here cook anything with Ampfer? I don't remember the word in English. We add it in soups (mainly) in the spring. I think it's more popular in France.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01.04.2021, 14:36
bossybaby's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Western Austria
Posts: 716
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,239 Times in 534 Posts
bossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Quote:
Also, pick them from the bottom up, some people can even bick them without getting stung this way.
I just used that method to take some out that grew in our Portuguese "garden" while we were away. OH's grandfather used to make soup.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bossybaby for this useful post:
  #53  
Old 01.04.2021, 14:40
bossybaby's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Western Austria
Posts: 716
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,239 Times in 534 Posts
bossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Quote:
View Post
I'll pay more attention to it from now on... Btw, does anyone here cook anything with Ampfer? I don't remember the word in English. We add it in soups (mainly) in the spring. I think it's more popular in France.
Dock, genus Rumex. Good with eggs scrambled with cream cheese (frischkaese).
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01.04.2021, 14:45
bossybaby's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Western Austria
Posts: 716
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,239 Times in 534 Posts
bossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

and if anyone's in the area, there's an entire hillside of baerlauch (ramps) above the train station in Rorschacherberg...you can smell it far away.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01.04.2021, 15:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Yesterday, I worked a shitload of wild garlic into 'keepsakes' , to be able to enjoy the flavour during the year as well, because we all love it so much.

You can make of wild garlic : Pesto, Salt, Spaetzle, pasta dough, capers with the closed buds, flavour oil and vinegar with it, dry it, freeze it etc etc

You can eat the buds/flowers raw as well as the bulb, both make lovely ingredients for a salad.

At last our Good Friday menu is finally fixed. The guests will get tried and tested family favourites.


I have to pick the last of the spinach in the garden so we'll start with


Conchiglie Fiorentina ( ricotta and spinach stuffed pasta shells)

******

Salad ( also from the allotment garden)
Salmon tatare in a crepe seasoned with coriander and chili,
Mousse of smoked trout with dill
and a 'Züpfeblueme', (bread cut out in shape of a flower)

*****

Loin of lamb with a honey & Colman mustard sauce
Polenta 'flowers'
Asparagus and other veges

*****

Mini Banoffee Pies
Blondies and Brownies
Elderflower parfait with apple chunks

*****
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 01.04.2021, 15:25
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Quote:
View Post

I am trying to go down my list....half of it are for "actual cooking/baking", half of it is to "just watch the-very-satisfying-video" and just wishing someone would make it for me
Now there's a thought!

Quote:
View Post
.....

You can make of wild garlic : Pesto, Salt, Spaetzle, pasta dough, capers with the closed buds, flavour oil and vinegar with it, dry it, freeze it etc etc.....
I have a problem: I wanted to freeze (well i did actually) some coriander. But it needs washing, so I did. Then I froze it (I chopped it before?). When I took it back out it was just a messy bulb. Seems logic, I know, but can only be used to be chucked into a soup or a stew.
So how exactly are herbs best frozen? And when should they be washed?

This summer I will just buy a coriander plant and cut off what I need when I need it. I still want to know how freezing is done properly.
__________________
It's all a matter or perspective.
So move your butt and look at it from the other side
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01.04.2021, 15:30
bossybaby's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Western Austria
Posts: 716
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,239 Times in 534 Posts
bossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Quote:
View Post
I still want to know how freezing is done properly.
Blitz with olive oil, freeze in cubes. Works a treat!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bossybaby for this useful post:
  #58  
Old 01.04.2021, 15:31
summergirl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 384
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 716 Times in 247 Posts
summergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Menu looks amazing! Can I come?


Quote:
View Post
Yesterday, I worked a shitload of wild garlic into 'keepsakes' , to be able to enjoy the flavour during the year as well, because we all love it so much.

You can make of wild garlic : Pesto, Salt, Spaetzle, pasta dough, capers with the closed buds, flavour oil and vinegar with it, dry it, freeze it etc etc

You can eat the buds/flowers raw as well as the bulb, both make lovely ingredients for a salad.

At last our Good Friday menu is finally fixed. The guests will get tried and tested family favourites.


I have to pick the last of the spinach in the garden so we'll start with


Conchiglie Fiorentina ( ricotta and spinach stuffed pasta shells)

******

Salad ( also from the allotment garden)
Salmon tatare in a crepe seasoned with coriander and chili,
Mousse of smoked trout with dill
and a 'Züpfeblueme', (bread cut out in shape of a flower)

*****

Loin of lamb with a honey & Colman mustard sauce
Polenta 'flowers'
Asparagus and other veges

*****

Mini Banoffee Pies
Blondies and Brownies
Elderflower parfait with apple chunks

*****
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank summergirl for this useful post:
  #59  
Old 01.04.2021, 17:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Quote:
View Post
So how exactly are herbs best frozen? And when should they be washed?

This summer I will just buy a coriander plant and cut off what I need when I need it. I still want to know how freezing is done properly.
Wild garlic I do chop up very finely and then loosely put it into a tiny (icecube sized) sealable tupperware. NO WATER ADDED!

Other surplus herbs get chopped finely and EITHER frozen like the wild garlic OR put into those old fashioned ice cube trays and then carefully I add water to top it off (seal it if you like) the entire ice-herb-cube when needed, gets then put into the soup/stew/ whatever dish I want it in.

Herbs once frozen, tend to become limp-ish when thawed out, so I only use them in cooked/baked dishes once thawed, I have plenty of fresh herbs all year round in my garden.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01.04.2021, 17:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What do you cook during Easter?

Quote:
View Post
Menu looks amazing! Can I come?
No Problem, Lamb will be replaced with smoked tofu
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easter - Lucerne and Zurich and places to go over Easter sbond Travel/day trips/free time 1 29.03.2015 13:50
Easter Eggs for children, Easter Sunday in Bern Tierpark Sbrinz Social events 3 29.03.2013 13:57
Looking for a cook Cactina Food and drink 0 28.01.2013 08:36
Easter dinner-what to cook? Marz Food and drink 23 07.04.2012 20:53
Cook'n'eat Begga Social events 21 15.03.2011 21:14


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0