Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.06.2021, 16:01
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Kennereth has no particular reputation at present
Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

Hi everyone,
As a recent arrival in CH / Zurich, I'd love to hear your recommendations for Vietnamese restaurants.
After being properly introduced to the cuisine by a Vietnamese friend in Ho Chi Minh and Singapore, I became a HUGE fan.

So far I've only tried 2 here in Zurich, and in case any one also wants recommendations:

Pho Vietnam (Langstrasse) - Tried the Pho bo, broth was not flavourful. Bahn mi (rind) was fine, but the sandwich itself was not that fresh - they keep those ready made and wrapped to go.

Chez Nhan Deli (Uitlibergstrasse) - Tried the Pho Bo, it was simply delicious! Tasty broth, meat and condiments, was the real thing (IMHO).
I'll definitely go back to try the Banh Mi.
The whole crew was Vietnamese and they also seem to have a buffet during lunch.

Let me know your thoughts!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Kennereth for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 16.06.2021, 16:09
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Kennereth has no particular reputation at present
Re: Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

Reading the rules, not sure if this should be moved to "Entertainment & Dining"? @Nathu please let me know if thats the case
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16.06.2021, 16:12
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,664
Groaned at 255 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 9,603 Times in 3,606 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

I've never been there, but there is a small Vietnamese restaurant in Fällanden, just outside of Zurich. I believe it's owned by a Vietnamese couple. It's also a Vietnamese grocery store.

https://www.trungvietshop.ch/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16.06.2021, 16:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,260
Groaned at 1,185 Times in 786 Posts
Thanked 19,136 Times in 7,419 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone,
As a recent arrival in CH / Zurich, I'd love to hear your recommendations for Vietnamese restaurants.
After being properly introduced to the cuisine by a Vietnamese friend in Ho Chi Minh and Singapore, I became a HUGE fan.

So far I've only tried 2 here in Zurich, and in case any one also wants recommendations:

Pho Vietnam (Langstrasse) - Tried the Pho bo, broth was not flavourful. Bahn mi (rind) was fine, but the sandwich itself was not that fresh - they keep those ready made and wrapped to go.

Chez Nhan Deli (Uitlibergstrasse) - Tried the Pho Bo, it was simply delicious! Tasty broth, meat and condiments, was the real thing (IMHO).
I'll definitely go back to try the Banh Mi.
The whole crew was Vietnamese and they also seem to have a buffet during lunch.

Let me know your thoughts!
Restaurant Vietnam is very good, also on Uetlibergstrasse, near Denner https://restaurant-vietnam.ch/

I was at Chez Nhan last night, I had no idea they had moved there and they have changed the menu. I had NHAN’S VIET CURRY which is a mild curry with vegetables and mushrooms and it was really delicious. http://www.cheznhan.ch/wp-content/up...-Nhan-Deli.pdf
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 16.06.2021, 16:21
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,586
Groaned at 2,354 Times in 1,712 Posts
Thanked 38,382 Times in 18,114 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

We generally make it at home.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.06.2021, 16:45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 58
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 52 Times in 27 Posts
SrkiKi has earned some respectSrkiKi has earned some respect
Re: Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

You can also try Co Chin Chin in Gasometerstrasse.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank SrkiKi for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 17.06.2021, 01:19
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Luzern
Posts: 195
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 90 Times in 49 Posts
camembert is considered knowledgeablecamembert is considered knowledgeablecamembert is considered knowledgeable
Re: Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

Recommended by many friends:


http://www.saigon.ch/web/saigon/
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank camembert for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 17.06.2021, 01:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,627
Groaned at 70 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 3,798 Times in 2,056 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

Quote:
View Post
Recommended by many friends:


http://www.saigon.ch/web/saigon/
It‘s basically the same as Chez Nahn (a bit more upscale), but owned by the daughter (AFAIK).

They have 3 places, though the Petit Saigon is not really great. I only go there for the Vegetarian Curry.
It was great while it was the only one of the three.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17.06.2021, 07:38
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,798
Groaned at 287 Times in 179 Posts
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,277 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

Quote:
View Post
Recommended by many friends:


http://www.saigon.ch/web/saigon/
I do like their pho ... but there is better out there.

Best pho in ZH:

https://phomai.business.site/

If you ever want to come to Bern, this place is excellent too:

https://www.eatcantin.ch/
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 17.06.2021, 07:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,640 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

Quote:
View Post
Restaurant Vietnam is very good, also on Uetlibergstrasse, near Denner https://restaurant-vietnam.ch/

I was at Chez Nhan last night, I had no idea they had moved there and they have changed the menu. I had NHAN’S VIET CURRY which is a mild curry with vegetables and mushrooms and it was really delicious. http://www.cheznhan.ch/wp-content/up...-Nhan-Deli.pdf
Must try it, I miss Vietnamese food.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 17.06.2021, 11:04
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 11,998
Groaned at 334 Times in 273 Posts
Thanked 22,926 Times in 8,297 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

I recommend "Viet Street Food", in Usteristrasse ("behind Globus on the way to Gesnerbrücke"). Lovely folks and very authentic taste.

Summer rolls are great, so is the rice noodle salad with the deep fried spring rolls. Never had the Pho, the Bun Bo Hue was good, the banh mi for me a bit on the small side, but maybe I am just not back to accepting Swiss prices yet.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 17.06.2021, 21:19
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,428
Groaned at 634 Times in 406 Posts
Thanked 16,151 Times in 6,313 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

Quote:
View Post
Recommended by many friends:


http://www.saigon.ch/web/saigon/
Saigon is definitely not recommendable. It doesn't taste like the real deal and on top of that, it is overly expensive.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 18.06.2021, 17:15
smileygreebins's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Schwyz
Posts: 558
Groaned at 30 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,100 Times in 331 Posts
smileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

Quote:
View Post

If you ever want to come to Bern, this place is excellent too:

https://www.eatcantin.ch/
I am so glad to see this link - I was in the backwaters of Vietnam pre covid closures, got chatting with a woman in a remote village, she recommended her "best friend"'s restaurant in Bern but I lost the address in transit to Switzerland...I hope this is the place and will scoot there in the coming weeks to check it out!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 18.06.2021, 21:44
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,428
Groaned at 634 Times in 406 Posts
Thanked 16,151 Times in 6,313 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

If you want the real experience here in Switzerland for a fraction of the price, head to: Dai Thanh Trung

Located in: Industriestrasse Ost 11, 4614 Hägendorf

It is basically an Asian supermarket, with an add-on restaurant.

Every Saturday, all the Asians in Switzerland flock to that place to eat authentic and cheap Vietnamese dishes and obviously also to do their shopping.

If you go during the week, they just serve pseudo Asian cuisine. Saturday is when it's happening and you can eat there until 2pm or something along those lines. Haven't been there in ages but I was a regular a few years ago.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 19.06.2021, 19:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,640 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

Quote:
View Post
If you want the real experience here in Switzerland for a fraction of the price, head to: Dai Thanh Trung

Located in: Industriestrasse Ost 11, 4614 Hägendorf

It is basically an Asian supermarket, with an add-on restaurant.

Every Saturday, all the Asians in Switzerland flock to that place to eat authentic and cheap Vietnamese dishes and obviously also to do their shopping.

If you go during the week, they just serve pseudo Asian cuisine. Saturday is when it's happening and you can eat there until 2pm or something along those lines. Haven't been there in ages but I was a regular a few years ago.
Pseudo Asian cuisine is still fine by me (can't be further away from the real deal than what I cook myself), would like to try the authentic stuff though. Thanks for your tips.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 21.06.2021, 11:35
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Kennereth has no particular reputation at present
Re: Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

Thanks everyone for those amazing suggestions.
As a new user I can't individually thank each of the postings, but I wrote down all of them and will definitely visit each and every location.

I'll come back and add whichever new ones I find that we didn't mention here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Kennereth for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 21.06.2021, 15:09
Downerbuzz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: town not big enough for the both of us
Posts: 891
Groaned at 41 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 1,007 Times in 428 Posts
Downerbuzz has a reputation beyond reputeDownerbuzz has a reputation beyond reputeDownerbuzz has a reputation beyond reputeDownerbuzz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Real vietnamese restaurants suggestion?

Quote:
View Post
If you want the real experience here in Switzerland for a fraction of the price, head to: Dai Thanh Trung

Located in: Industriestrasse Ost 11, 4614 Hägendorf

It is basically an Asian supermarket, with an add-on restaurant.

Every Saturday, all the Asians in Switzerland flock to that place to eat authentic and cheap Vietnamese dishes and obviously also to do their shopping.

If you go during the week, they just serve pseudo Asian cuisine. Saturday is when it's happening and you can eat there until 2pm or something along those lines. Haven't been there in ages but I was a regular a few years ago.
Similar thing at A-Chau in Liebefeld. The owners opened up a small restauraunt next door. Nothing better than starting the day with Pho and then doing your shopping.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Downerbuzz for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A little Vietnamese girl in Geneva :D Candy vn Introductions 24 27.08.2017 10:03
Vietnamese coffee? atamar Food and drink 34 19.11.2014 16:36
Vietnamese restaurant by Zurich HB Guest Entertainment & dining 0 15.04.2009 12:43
Suggestion for English speak real estate/relocation agent devero89 Housing in general 0 26.09.2007 23:38
Vietnamese pho soup? Destiny Entertainment & dining 2 18.06.2006 20:28


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0