English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Food and drink (https://www.englishforum.ch/food-drink/)
-   -   Why is horse meat cheap? (https://www.englishforum.ch/food-drink/305096-why-horse-meat-cheap.html)

yoyo 23.07.2021 13:24

Why is horse meat cheap?
 
I sometimes buy meat in Migros, and it seems that their horse steaks are cheaper than their beef steaks. I also saw some ostrich steaks that are more expensive than horse, but still cheaper than beef.

Why is that? Is beef just extra expensive in Switzerland, or is there something inferior about the horse/ostrich meat? Is it just supply and demand?

fatmanfilms 23.07.2021 13:26

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyo (Post 3330613)
I sometimes buy meat in Migros, and it seems that their horse steaks are cheaper than their beef steaks. I also saw some ostrich steaks that are more expensive than horse, but still cheaper than beef.

Why is that? Is beef just extra expensive in Switzerland, or is there something inferior about the horse/ostrich meat? Is it just supply and demand?

Lots of tax on imported beef, I find horse has more flavour & will always choose over beef unless I am with my wife.

yoyoyoyoyo 23.07.2021 13:34

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyo (Post 3330613)
I sometimes buy meat in Migros, and it seems that their horse steaks are cheaper than their beef steaks. I also saw some ostrich steaks that are more expensive than horse, but still cheaper than beef.

Why is that? Is beef just extra expensive in Switzerland, or is there something inferior about the horse/ostrich meat? Is it just supply and demand?

I like your name!:msnnerd:

YOOOOOOOOOOO

I wish they didnt put pictures of the animal on the packing. I might eat horse or emu otherwise

MusicChick 23.07.2021 13:37

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3330614)
Lots of tax on imported beef, I find horse has more flavour & will always choose over beef unless I am with my wife.

I totally get her.

Horse eating is just...right next to koala eating or cute bunny eating. It should be banned.

st2lemans 23.07.2021 13:43

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Good horse is only 20% cheaper than beef.

Horse entrcote = 49.50/kg https://shop.migros.ch/en/supermarke...eal-lamb-horse

Beef entrecote = 64.00/kg https://shop.migros.ch/en/supermarke...t-poultry/beef

Which is why I prefer to buy a veal t-bone in Italy for EUR 16.99/kg

Tom

FairDinkum 23.07.2021 14:01

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Horse meat is actually the worst choice .. to eat

FairDinkum 23.07.2021 14:02

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3330619)
I totally get her.
Horse eating is just...right next to koala eating or cute bunny eating. It should be banned.

But why are they cuter than a sweet lamb?? :(:o:o

FairDinkum 23.07.2021 14:03

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
I wonder if someone will answer to yoyo or I have to do everything here ??:D:p

yoyo 23.07.2021 14:07

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
You are right, entrecote beef is 28% more expensive, and beef "steak" is 66% more expensive than horse "steak" (30 vs 50 CHF/kg).

Apriori I would have expected the horse to be more expensive than beef.

bowlie 23.07.2021 14:08

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3330620)

Which is why I prefer to buy a veal t-bone in Italy for EUR 16.99/kg

Tom

Why are you paying Ä16.99/kg for bone, albeit with some meat attached?

st2lemans 23.07.2021 14:20

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3330629)
Why are you paying Ä16.99/kg for bone, albeit with some meat attached?

Not much bone at all: https://content.dambros.it/uploads/2...-1024x1024.jpg

Tom

MusicChick 23.07.2021 14:25

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FairDinkum (Post 3330625)
But why are they cuter than a sweet lamb?? :(:o:o

It isn't.

st2lemans 23.07.2021 14:26

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyo (Post 3330628)
You are right, entrecote beef is 28% more expensive, and beef "steak" is 66% more expensive than horse "steak" (30 vs 50 CHF/kg).

Apriori I would have expected the horse to be more expensive than beef.

And if you compare filet, the difference is about 10%.

Tom

st2lemans 23.07.2021 14:27

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FairDinkum (Post 3330624)
Horse meat is actually the worst choice .. to eat

What is the basis for that claim? :confused:

Tom

robBob 23.07.2021 14:59

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Eating a horse is cannibalism

Belgianmum 23.07.2021 15:00

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3330619)
Horse eating is just...right next to koala eating or cute bunny eating. It should be banned.

Meat is meat at the end of the day and they were all fluffy little babies once.

Having said that I donít think I would knowingly choose to eat a Koala but I do like rabbit. Iíve eaten horse but would choose that either as I wasnít too keen in it.
Iím not a big meat eater in general though.

Susie-Q 23.07.2021 15:06

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3330643)
What is the basis for that claim? :confused:

Tom

I had it accidentally once in Spain and I found it to be very tough ... perhaps it was just not a good cut, but I have heard the same feedback from others. I heard it is very high in iron though...

Horses are very emotional and intelligent animals, I can't imagine raising one and slaughtering it for food. As a carnivore, I cannot pass judgement, but nope not for me.

komsomolez 23.07.2021 15:17

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Donkey is the new horse. Or the other way around?

It is funny where people draw lines, or not. I think horse is fine, sometimes they had it in my old cantine (for price reasons I guess), and sometimes even donkey. Dogs or cats would probably be crossing the line for me.

fatmanfilms 23.07.2021 15:21

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by komsomolez (Post 3330680)
Donkey is the new horse. Or the other way around?

It is funny where people draw lines, or not. I think horse is fine, sometimes they had it in my old cantine (for price reasons I guess), and sometimes even donkey. Dogs or cats would probably be crossing the line for me.

The first time I had it in Migros canteen, I thought I was getting a peppered EntrecŰte :D

Susie-Q 23.07.2021 15:23

Re: Why is horse meat cheap?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by komsomolez (Post 3330680)
Donkey is the new horse. Or the other way around?

Donkey? Do they breed them for meat here? Oh gosh couldn't imagine ... yes it is interesting what we can consider acceptable / not acceptable.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:21.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0