Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.12.2008, 19:55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 496
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 192 Times in 120 Posts
naza is considered knowledgeablenaza is considered knowledgeablenaza is considered knowledgeable
Lausanne: Is there a decent butcher in town?

Hi,

I'd like to ask you where do you buy your meat? Where in Lausanne (or Vaud) can you get some good quality meat at reasonable prices? From what I've seen there are basically 3 options:

Coop - not so good meat and quite expensive
Migros - even worst meat and quite expensive
Manor/Globus - not bad meat but even more expensive

Please don't tell me France. I've been travelling around Switzerland and if there is something you see is cows grazing on green pastures. Dairy products are great so the question is: where does the meat go once the cows are slaughtered???

I've been trying to find a butcher in Lausanne but have been unsuccessful. I was told there was a good butcher down by Flon but was unable to locate it.

Does anybody know a good butcher (where perhaps one can even order special cuts of meat)?

Am I asking for too much to find a butcher that has a chart like the one I have attached where I can ask for a specific cut of meat?
Attached Thumbnails
lausanne-there-decent-butcher-town-angus-beef-chart.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09.12.2008, 07:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lausanne: Is there a decent butcher in town?

I just did a quick search in the phone book and found 61 entries for butcher in Lausanne. (=boucherie in French) I'm not sure how it works regarding special orders (I'm not a big meat-eater myself) but this thread started by Minimia will probably come in handy if you decide to head into a shop: Cuts of meat: How to ask for them.

Heather
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 09.12.2008, 09:13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 296
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 124 Times in 84 Posts
Lausannebrit is considered knowledgeableLausannebrit is considered knowledgeableLausannebrit is considered knowledgeable
Re: Lausanne: Is there a decent butcher in town?

The tastiest lamb we've had here comes from Globus. It is great, although pricey, so we save it for special occasions.

Other than that, try the market at Place Riponne on Wednesdays or Saturdays (mornings).

Bon ap!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09.12.2008, 14:03
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,991
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lausanne: Is there a decent butcher in town?

I agree with you that the meat in the supermarket. The best is Globus and that is very expensive, so only special occasions. There is a good butcher in Savigny center with good prices. There is another one near Puidoux train station and he is really very good & so are his prices. I'll have to find address, I know his last name is Martin.

In Lausanne, I can't remember it's been a while since I've lived in town.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 09.12.2008, 20:08
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 496
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 192 Times in 120 Posts
naza is considered knowledgeablenaza is considered knowledgeablenaza is considered knowledgeable
Re: Lausanne: Is there a decent butcher in town?

Quote:
View Post
There is a good butcher in Savigny center with good prices. There is another one near Puidoux train station and he is really very good & so are his prices. I'll have to find address, I know his last name is Martin.
Would really appreciate if you could find the address of the butcher in Puidoux

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09.12.2008, 22:06
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,991
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lausanne: Is there a decent butcher in town?

Quote:
View Post
Would really appreciate if you could find the address of the butcher in Puidoux
thanks
I knew you were going to ask that! Actually he's in Chexbres:

MARTIN Georges et fils, 1071 Chexbres (VD).
Vente directe de viande de, boeuf, porc, agneau, poulet, dinde, coq, charcuterie, oeufs, saveurs de la ferme

La grange à jaunin (Sortie autoroute Chexbres, direction Puidoux village puis Mont Pélerin)

Tél.: 021/946.25.01

While looking for his info I went through my bookmarks. Here are some that are interesting:

http://www.marchepaysan.ch/
http://www.biovaud.ch/index.html
http://www.terroir-vaudois.ch/carte.php
http://www.tourisme-rural.ch/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04.01.2009, 17:17
ticino's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 862
Groaned at 37 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 390 Times in 222 Posts
ticino has earned some respectticino has earned some respect
Re: Lausanne: Is there a decent butcher in town?

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

I'd like to ask you where do you buy your meat? Where in Lausanne (or Vaud) can you get some good quality meat at reasonable prices? From what I've seen there are basically 3 options:

Coop - not so good meat and quite expensive
Migros - even worst meat and quite expensive
Manor/Globus - not bad meat but even more expensive

Please don't tell me France. I've been travelling around Switzerland and if there is something you see is cows grazing on green pastures. Dairy products are great so the question is: where does the meat go once the cows are slaughtered???

I've been trying to find a butcher in Lausanne but have been unsuccessful. I was told there was a good butcher down by Flon but was unable to locate it.

Does anybody know a good butcher (where perhaps one can even order special cuts of meat)?

Am I asking for too much to find a butcher that has a chart like the one I have attached where I can ask for a specific cut of meat?
The meat variety in CH is generally smaller than in other countries in my experience. In the supermarkets you will find only meat that's nice to look at and doesn't look like a piece of a dead animal . (e.g., you typically don't see entire chickens, pig feet or heads, tongues, livers, brain, and stuff like that). Don't know Lausanne, but around Zurich you could go directly to a farmer and buy your meat there. They have everything, but might require you to buy larger quantities (ok if you've got a big freezer).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
butcher, meat




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nearest German Speaking town to Lausanne Downtowner Housing in general 11 18.12.2009 17:35
Anyone know a decent hardware store in Lausanne? Guest Other/general 1 31.07.2008 11:48
Artists of the Lausanne town open their doors! zulu Social events 1 30.04.2008 13:04
Cape Town to Lausanne? KateA Introductions 4 29.04.2008 10:59
night on the town: Lausanne Safauna Entertainment & dining 6 07.10.2007 19:50


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0