English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Food and drink (https://www.englishforum.ch/food-drink/)
-   -   Pancake Recipes (https://www.englishforum.ch/food-drink/44436-pancake-recipes.html)

24.02.2009 17:38

Pancake Recipes
 
I only just realised that it's Shrove Tuesday!

In case (like me :o), your pancakes always taste like omelettes instead of pancakes...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...ga_66226.shtml

pink pompom 24.02.2009 18:14

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
hi there

thanks for the pancakes recepie. my daughter loves them. will sure try out some recepies from here.
cheers

dekrim 24.02.2009 18:31

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
Hi pink pompom go to ALDI store US week an they have pancake mix there

Nickers 24.02.2009 18:49

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
pankake mix? why on earth would you need to buy a mix? :confused:
it's just flour, milk and eggs how much easier can it be :)

argus 24.02.2009 20:20

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
If you use buttermilk in your pancake batter, put in half a teaspoon of baking soda (natrium bicarbonate) as well as 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder for every cup of flour.

By the way, one egg for every cup of flour makes pancake that doesn't taste like omelette.

Sutter 24.02.2009 20:55

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky (Post 403892)
pankake mix? why on earth would you need to buy a mix? :confused:
it's just flour, milk and eggs how much easier can it be :)

Maybe for lazy crappy cooks like me:o lol only kidding i love to cook:msntongue:

Gianna 24.02.2009 21:11

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by argus (Post 403966)
one egg for every cup of flour makes pancake that doesn't taste like omelette.

I add a few drops of vanilla essence and a pinch of cinnamon, which surely eliminate any omelette possibility.:msntongue:

pink pompom 25.02.2009 08:32

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by argus (Post 403966)
If you use buttermilk in your pancake batter, put in half a teaspoon of baking soda (natrium bicarbonate) as well as 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder for every cup of flour.

By the way, one egg for every cup of flour makes pancake that doesn't taste like omelette.

hi

thanks for the tip but i wanted you to ask one thing, if i am using buttermilk than in this case shall i not use normal milk. are the pancakes not a bit sour, just wondering.

cheers

25.02.2009 08:59

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pink pompom (Post 404138)
i wanted you to ask one thing, if i am using buttermilk than in this case shall i not use normal milk. are the pancakes not a bit sour

Not at all..! Don't ask me why I have no idea but with buttermilk pancakes tastes much better than with normal milk..!!
(by the way I would never drink buttermilk, hate the taste ;) )

pink pompom 25.02.2009 09:02

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vwild1 (Post 404151)
Not at all..! Don't ask me why I have no idea but with buttermilk pancakes tastes much better than with normal milk..!!
(by the way I would never drink buttermilk, hate the taste ;) )

hi

thanks, will sure try it this way.
btw, i love buttermilk, drink it with some spices like salt, mint powder and roasted cummin seeds powdered. drink chilled especially in summer. yum !

cheers

argus 25.02.2009 09:19

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pink pompom (Post 404138)
hi

thanks for the tip but i wanted you to ask one thing, if i am using buttermilk than in this case shall i not use normal milk. are the pancakes not a bit sour, just wondering.

cheers


I've tried making pancakes with milk or buttermilk and both together (plus a bit of water if I don't want it too thick). No, not sour. A pinch of salt and a teaspoon or two of sugar is in the batter, of course.

25.02.2009 12:23

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
I used Delia's recipe last night, and the pancakes turned out very well, if I do say so myself :D, tasted almost as good as my Mammy's!

sharkey 15.02.2010 13:01

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
Pancake Tuesday tomorrow, so I thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Carlos R 15.02.2010 13:09

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buttercupbananatush (Post 404304)
I used Delia's recipe last night, and the pancakes turned out very well, if I do say so myself :D, tasted almost as good as my Mammy's!


Delia is a fine recipe to go by - we use it all the time. The only "but" I'd add is that if you are going to make decent-sized pancakes, you need to double to quantities in the mix! Yum yum :)

Also mix by hand - much easier than you think and less likely to get lumps than with a machine.

argus 15.02.2010 13:14

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
1 Attachment(s)
http://www.culinate.com/search/q,cty...+pancakes/2940

I'd switch the measurements for baking soda and baking powder -- only because I don't fancy any obvious taste of baking soda.

Happy Pancake Tuesday, people!

Uncle Max 15.02.2010 13:20

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
Don't over blend the eggs
Store mixture in the fridge for an hour or so before cooking
Open the Grand Marnier / Cointreau
Repent your sins - you've forty days...

Guest 15.02.2010 13:23

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
My favorite pancake recipe is Martha Stewart's Best buttermilk Pancakes:
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/...akes-by-martha


it's a good thing

Gastro Gnome 15.02.2010 13:52

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
Is Shrove Tuesday a day for pancakes outside the UK and Ireland?

In the UK I think lemon and sugar are de rigueur.

Here's a simple recipe:

8 heaped tbsp plain flour
2 large eggs
500ml milk
pinch of salt

Mix together and then let it rest for half an hour.

This is Shrove Tuesday, so let's keep it simple and use the traditional British pancake. I love fluffy American pancakes, but I'll save those for a weekend brunch. I also love things like French buckwheat crepes, but again, I'll have those as a light lunch.

The use of a raising agent in a Pancake Day pancake is an abomination.

Uncle Max 15.02.2010 13:55

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gastro Gnome (Post 704629)
...The use of a raising agent in a Pancake Day pancake is an abomination.

Increases in scale are a substitute for imagination ;)

Guest 15.02.2010 14:09

Re: Pancake Recipes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Max (Post 704552)
Don't over blend the eggs
Store mixture in the fridge for an hour or so before cooking
Open the Grand Marnier / Cointreau
Repent your sins - you've forty days...

Also, get a decent crepes pan. Frying pans have sides which are too high.

The mixture should also be similar to cream in runnyness and not too much spooned into the pan. Pancakes should be really thin.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:17.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0