Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.09.2009, 16:10
amdusia's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: servion, vaud
Posts: 41
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
amdusia has no particular reputation at present
Calling on sauerkraut connaisseurs!

Need the advice of decent cooks and sauerkraut connaisseurs:

I follow the recipes by frying the raw sauerkraut in butter, adding stock, grated potato and apple, bacon, sausage etc cook it for 1 or even 2 hours but it is always way too sour!

Please tell me how I can avoid creating sloppy messes that look like they've crawled up the drain pipe..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.09.2009, 16:15
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,433
Groaned at 35 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 10,888 Times in 3,249 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Calling on sauerkraut connaisseurs!

Tablespoon of brown sugar or Swiss-molasses added to the pot, then cook as normal.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MathNut for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 03.09.2009, 16:28
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,582
Groaned at 171 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Calling on sauerkraut connaisseurs!

Kirsch is your friend.

Sauerkraut should be cooked and served immediately, pale amber to gold in colour. Sweaty, greasy stuff looks and tastes yuck.

I use goose fat, a finely chopped onion, 10+/- crushed juniper berries, a grated raw potato, 300ml of light stock and a glass of white wine.

Melt fat on a low flame; once the onion is sizzling add the washed and drained cabbage with berries for around 15mins. Then the wine and a little stock, but never so much it floats in the liquid.

Leave for around 1.5 hours, adding more stock as necessary. Season with a little salt and pepper. Later, stir in the potato, leave for about 15mins. Just before serving, add a glass of Kirsch. Gin also does the trick.

Serve on a hot dish, preferably with a roast bird, surrounded by crispy fried bacon.

Any left overs can be made into soup; simmer for another hour with around half a litre of stock, puree and serve with thick cream.




You did ask.
__________________
Wave ¦ Synthpop ¦ 80's ¦ Alternative ¦ Party ¦ Sat 24.03 Provitreff Zurich
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Uncle Max for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 03.09.2009, 16:52
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Calling on sauerkraut connaisseurs!

I concur with Uncle Max's advice.

I think the main determinant of sweetness is the proportion of onion in your dish and how much that's been cooked.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03.09.2009, 16:56
amdusia's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: servion, vaud
Posts: 41
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
amdusia has no particular reputation at present
Re: Calling on sauerkraut connaisseurs!

Thanks for that. I will try adding more sugar, though I hope it just won't add to the acidity of my festering mess. I was even thinking of adding more and more potato, but am afraid it will become a pasty lump.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03.09.2009, 17:04
amdusia's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: servion, vaud
Posts: 41
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
amdusia has no particular reputation at present
Re: Calling on sauerkraut connaisseurs!

Thanks everyone, and Uncle Max certainly has certainly exceeded all my sauerkraut expectations!

Kirsch sounds like a great idea as does washing and draining the kraut before commencing.

As for the rest, it doesn't sound like my geese will last till Christmas!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03.09.2009, 17:35
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: zürich
Posts: 630
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 744 Times in 262 Posts
Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJack has a reputation beyond reputeJack has a reputation beyond reputeJack has a reputation beyond reputeJack has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Calling on sauerkraut connaisseurs!

Quote:
View Post
Thanks everyone, and Uncle Max certainly has certainly exceeded all my sauerkraut expectations!

Kirsch sounds like a great idea as does washing and draining the kraut before commencing.

As for the rest, it doesn't sound like my geese will last till Christmas!
Indeed...Max is on top of things as usual... Just a bit more about balancing acid in your mouth. There are 4 taste elements we all share in varying degrees of intensity: sweet, salt, acid and bitter. These elements, if taken alone, can often appear overwhelming...or, in your case, one of the elements is a bit too much - acid. There are two ways to counteract acid: increase sweet or increase bitter. Since most people frown from increasing the latter, let's just focus on the former...sweet. Sweet does not have to be the sweet we are all used to...sugars. Our sweet receptacles also perceive fat as sweet, which is why fat tastes good to many people...fat can also be a type of alcohol...so, Max had it right with the alcohol and fat: crispy bacon, goose fat and of course kirsch...
__________________
www.laughinglemon.ch ¦ on Facebook & Twitter too!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03.09.2009, 23:25
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Calling on sauerkraut connaisseurs!

Quote:
View Post
Our sweet receptacles also perceive fat as sweet, which is why fat tastes good to many people...
Which sweet receptacles would these be? I'm not sure exactly what you mean here.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04.09.2009, 04:29
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Calling on sauerkraut connaisseurs!

Quote:
View Post
Need the advice of decent cooks and sauerkraut connaisseurs:

I follow the recipes by frying the raw sauerkraut in butter, adding stock, grated potato and apple, bacon, sausage etc cook it for 1 or even 2 hours but it is always way too sour!

Please tell me how I can avoid creating sloppy messes that look like they've crawled up the drain pipe..

As a start you should limit the ingredients. Just take the Sauerkraut, add plenty of butter and quite some soy-sauce and have it in a pan for a quarter hour (max half an hour) and then try it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04.09.2009, 07:49
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: zürich
Posts: 630
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 744 Times in 262 Posts
Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJack has a reputation beyond reputeJack has a reputation beyond reputeJack has a reputation beyond reputeJack has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Calling on sauerkraut connaisseurs!

Quote:
View Post
Which sweet receptacles would these be? I'm not sure exactly what you mean here.
Sorry...on the tongue...We all have taste buds responsible for certain tastes...mostly the sweet ones are toward the front...the salty ones are on the side...acid is usually just behind the salty ones...and bitter is usually toward the back of the mouth...
Attached Thumbnails
calling-sauerkraut-connaisseurs-einstein_02.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04.09.2009, 10:59
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Calling on sauerkraut connaisseurs!

Quote:
View Post
Sorry...on the tongue...We all have taste buds responsible for certain tastes...mostly the sweet ones are toward the front...the salty ones are on the side...acid is usually just behind the salty ones...and bitter is usually toward the back of the mouth...
Thanks . . . I'm aware of sweet receptors on the tongue. Are you saying that these are responsible for tasting fat though? Fat isn't really a taste as such. It's a carrier for other flavours. Do you have a reference for this somewhere?

The textural role of fat per se is probably more important when eating. A secondary to that its ability to carry other flavours.

Reading this article it seems that there are some specialised fat taste receptors, but these are not the same as the sweet ones:

http://www.thehealthculture.com/2009...taste-fat.html
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04.09.2009, 12:34
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: zürich
Posts: 630
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 744 Times in 262 Posts
Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJack has a reputation beyond reputeJack has a reputation beyond reputeJack has a reputation beyond reputeJack has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Calling on sauerkraut connaisseurs!

Quote:
View Post
Thanks . . . I'm aware of sweet receptors on the tongue. Are you saying that these are responsible for tasting fat though? Fat isn't really a taste as such. It's a carrier for other flavours. Do you have a reference for this somewhere?

The textural role of fat per se is probably more important when eating. A secondary to that its ability to carry other flavours.

Reading this article it seems that there are some specialised fat taste receptors, but these are not the same as the sweet ones:

http://www.thehealthculture.com/2009...taste-fat.html
Tasting fat per se...no...The perception of fat (almost exclusively animal fat) is sweet, and this has to do with the presence of specific fatty acids and in some cases glycerol (also in many alcohols, including a high presence in new-world style wines, which is why they are perceived sweeter)... There is a lot of information available about this topic on the internet...from my perspective, I spent about one year studying food + wine matching in Italy and this topic of how we perceive and balance tastes was very important in the Italian method. Another source for finding out about tastes and the chemical actions behind them is Harold McGee...

Harold McGee

The other information I have is in Italian and copyrighted (not interested in posting in a public forum)...I would be happy to send you an abstract off-line if you would like to pursue this information...

Jack
__________________
www.laughinglemon.ch ¦ on Facebook & Twitter too!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jack for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 04.09.2009, 14:04
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Calling on sauerkraut connaisseurs!

Quote:
View Post
Tasting fat per se...no...The perception of fat (almost exclusively animal fat) is sweet, and this has to do with the presence of specific fatty acids and in some cases glycerol (also in many alcohols, including a high presence in new-world style wines, which is why they are perceived sweeter)... There is a lot of information available about this topic on the internet...from my perspective, I spent about one year studying food + wine matching in Italy and this topic of how we perceive and balance tastes was very important in the Italian method. Another source for finding out about tastes and the chemical actions behind them is Harold McGee...

Harold McGee

The other information I have is in Italian and copyrighted (not interested in posting in a public forum)...I would be happy to send you an abstract off-line if you would like to pursue this information...

Jack
Thanks . . . I have the McGee book at home. I'll look it up later.

Saying that we perceive fat as sweet is a rather different claim than your original one saying that the sweet receptors on the tongue responded to fat.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04.09.2009, 18:11
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,582
Groaned at 171 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Calling on sauerkraut connaisseurs!

Quote:
View Post
Thanks . . . I have the McGee book at home. I'll look it up later.

Saying that we perceive fat as sweet is a rather different claim than your original one saying that the sweet receptors on the tongue responded to fat.
^^Good job he's better at cooking scrummy meals than explaining online, then, eh?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04.09.2009, 18:26
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,250
Groaned at 121 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Calling on sauerkraut connaisseurs!

Quote:
View Post
Sorry...on the tongue...We all have taste buds responsible for certain tastes...mostly the sweet ones are toward the front...the salty ones are on the side...acid is usually just behind the salty ones...and bitter is usually toward the back of the mouth...
Hate to be pedantic, but this has now proven to be incorrect, all taste-specific receptors are located all over the mouth, including on the epiglottis and palate. Some areas may be more sensitive to certain tastes, but this is subject to individual variation.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cooking, sauerkraut




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling all Kiwis HannahMCollard Social events 2 18.07.2009 14:54
for true connaisseurs of Swiss Mundart only:Ledig Bliibt De Hürlimaa sandiegan Language corner 6 28.04.2009 16:10
Scotland Calling oscarsmum Jokes/funnies 3 04.04.2009 09:42
sauerkraut peebix Food and drink 58 11.03.2009 12:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0