English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Food and drink (https://www.englishforum.ch/food-drink/)
-   -   Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/food-drink/66963-post-photos-what-you-cook-bake-switzerland.html)

Gwendy 14.04.2010 15:52

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
nic80, they are BEAUTIFUL!! You are very talented!!! Anyone getting married? Need a cake?????

nic80 14.04.2010 16:07

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
Thanks, it started as a hobby but I ended up making rather a lot of them for friends and family :)

Marz 14.04.2010 22:08

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
They look good!!! My mom used to make them.

Can I have the recipe please? Moze byc po polsku:-)

Marz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little_Polka (Post 759856)
Last weekend's special: krokiety (no idea how to call it in English) :)

Basically it is a pancake (polish version of non-sweet swiss crepes) filled with sauer cabbage, onion and mince meat, dipped in a beaten egg, bread crumbs and fried after that.


nommysoup01 14.04.2010 22:28

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nic80 (Post 776047)
As you can probably tell going gluten free has been a bit of a hassle :D

How long have you been GF?

nic80 14.04.2010 23:51

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nommysoup01 (Post 776584)
How long have you been GF?

About 4 years.

CarpeDiem 15.04.2010 10:16

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyAmmy_12 (Post 776005)
Here are some of pictures of Thai's dishes which I've done here. :msngrin:

Looking great! Makes me want to cook some Thai as well, thanks for the inspiration ;)

Little_Polka 15.04.2010 12:21

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marz (Post 776560)
They look good!!! My mom used to make them.

Can I have the recipe please? Moze byc po polsku:-)

Marz

Will be easy with pancakes but a bit hard with filling :)

For pancakes (from mojewypieki.blox.pl):

100 g white flour
2 eggs
300 ml milk
1 spoon of oil
salt

Mix it well all together and fry crepes-like pancakes. Normally I manage to get 6 pieces from this mix. I make double portion.

After your pancakes cool down a little it is the time for filling.

As a filling I use pork mince meat which I first fry with spices and well chopped onion. Then I am adding it to previously grinded/cut cooked sauer cabbage (I buy this one in Migros). I am mixing it all together and still add some spices. Filling needs to be quite spicy otherwise croquettes will not be very tasty.

I never really wrote down the actual proportions of the meat to cabbage. I think it normally is around 600 g of minced meat, one onion and 2/3rd bag of sauer cabbage (I know it is vague but cannot remember what is the exact amount in the Migros one).

Anyway when I put the filling on pancakes I make sure to leave some space on the edges. Then you need to fold it (two edges folded preferably so the filling will not fall out), dip it in beaten egg with spices and after in breadcrumbs.

I am frying it with a little amount of oil on both sides :).

As a filling of course you can use what you want. I can also be a fried mushrooms/onion/cabbage mix or mushrooms/onion/emmentaler.

Hope it helped a little.

Enjoy :)

Celtictwist 18.04.2010 11:45

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
Did you ever think of holding a cooking class?
I have been following your recipes with great interest and licking of lips :msntongue:

Marz 18.04.2010 12:16

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
Thank you!
I will make them next week. Yum!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little_Polka (Post 777063)
Will be easy with pancakes but a bit hard with filling :)

For pancakes (from mojewypieki.blox.pl):

100 g white flour
2 eggs
300 ml milk
1 spoon of oil
salt

Mix it well all together and fry crepes-like pancakes. Normally I manage to get 6 pieces from this mix. I make double portion.

After your pancakes cool down a little it is the time for filling.

As a filling I use pork mince meat which I first fry with spices and well chopped onion. Then I am adding it to previously grinded/cut cooked sauer cabbage (I buy this one in Migros). I am mixing it all together and still add some spices. Filling needs to be quite spicy otherwise croquettes will not be very tasty.

I never really wrote down the actual proportions of the meat to cabbage. I think it normally is around 600 g of minced meat, one onion and 2/3rd bag of sauer cabbage (I know it is vague but cannot remember what is the exact amount in the Migros one).

Anyway when I put the filling on pancakes I make sure to leave some space on the edges. Then you need to fold it (two edges folded preferably so the filling will not fall out), dip it in beaten egg with spices and after in breadcrumbs.

I am frying it with a little amount of oil on both sides :).

As a filling of course you can use what you want. I can also be a fried mushrooms/onion/cabbage mix or mushrooms/onion/emmentaler.

Hope it helped a little.

Enjoy :)


pasty 18.04.2010 15:29

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
1 Attachment(s)
I knocked this up last night. Cod and chips cooked in beer batter with processed peas

tigress 18.04.2010 21:07

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
Hi Argus all four things caught my eye...would you consider sharing the recipes for the four you mention...because they sound an electic mix ..and would love to try. Not sure what sort of pork you need for siu yoke and whether it can be bought from Coop-Migros.
Curry pouches, Berlin potato soup, Chinese roast pork (siu yoke), lacy pancake (roti jala)
Thanks

Zass 18.04.2010 21:47

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
1 Attachment(s)
sushi anyone? made and ate this just tonight. yum

votentia 18.04.2010 22:09

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
1 Attachment(s)
I have made Indonesian Kueh Lapis four times and each time I get better at it. Essentially, I cook the batter layer by layer using a grill before baking the cake as a whole. It is quite a rich cake - 20 eggs, 500g butter. But what makes it is the spice used - a heavenly mix of cinnamon, cloves, star anise and cardamom.

votentia 18.04.2010 22:14

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
1 Attachment(s)
Also had a craving for Hot Cross buns during Easter time.

Little_Polka 19.04.2010 09:13

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Celtictwist (Post 780267)
Did you ever think of holding a cooking class?
I have been following your recipes with great interest and licking of lips :msntongue:

Hehe still feeling like a beginner to be honest :)

pasty 19.04.2010 16:22

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zass (Post 780915)
sushi anyone? made and ate this just tonight. yum

Here's one my girlfriend prepared "earlier"

pasty 19.04.2010 16:26

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by votentia (Post 780944)
Also had a craving for Hot Cross buns during Easter time.

That has got to be on my list for next year, although UK Supermarkets have them for ages either side of Easter, so why shouldn't I make them now?
Do you have a special Recipe, or should I rely on the BBC food site? They look pretty easy. Can't understand why I haven't cooked them before.

Tonyasam 24.04.2010 17:09

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
3 Attachment(s)
Wow! I am loving this thread... so inspiring! Almost as fun as cooking/eating but easier on the waistline ;) I don't have many photos, but here are a couple of the turkins and deep dish sweet potato pecan pies I did for Thanksgiving, and a video I made for my brother after he asked me to make his wedding cake. I ordered the pans/mixer etc online and had them delivered to his flat in Okpo, Korea and packed the chocolate over from Zurich (of course!) Hubs helped me bake in Bro's tiny flat, then we transported everything to venue and assembled it there the morning of the wedding with fingers crosse. Never done something of this magnitude before and no time for practice run - yikes :eek: Then we demolished the finished product with chopsticks!


argus 24.04.2010 21:23

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigress (Post 780853)
Hi Argus all four things caught my eye...would you consider sharing the recipes for the four you mention...because they sound an electic mix ..and would love to try. Not sure what sort of pork you need for siu yoke and whether it can be bought from Coop-Migros.
Curry pouches, Berlin potato soup, Chinese roast pork (siu yoke), lacy pancake (roti jala)
Thanks

Hi, Tigress. Sorry I've been away from EF and CH for more than a week and haven't checked my email till yesterday.

The link for the recipe for Chinese roast pork was given a few posts further.
To make it, you can buy Schweinebauch (pork belly) at some Migros outlets (for example the one in Gundeli, Basel), or ask at your nearest butcher.


Curry pouches: http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-curry-puff
I made them look different by pinching up the squares of rolled pastry over the pre-cooked filling and oven-baking the pouches.


Berlin potato soup: Will have to write it up in English one day. It basically involves celeriac, carrots, leek, potatoes, chunks of bacon and lots of fresh majoram.


Roti jala recipe: http://rasamalaysia.com/roti-jala-re...ntroducing-a1/
I'd suggest replacing half the low-fat milk with coconut milk for a richer and more aromatic flavour.

25.04.2010 14:25

Re: Post photos of what you cook and bake in Switzerland
 
It's Sunday and Sunday is time for a good *Rôti de porc* (roasted pig ?).
It's quite an usual meal here.

Preparation....
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/DSC07135.jpg

ready to serve...
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/DSC07137.jpg

ready to eat...
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/DSC07138.jpg

with a good French wine...
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/DSC07139.jpg

but before we eat the pig, we have *oeufs mimosa* (deviled egg)
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/DSC07136.jpg

Hope your meal was also good :D


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:42.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0