English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Food and drink (https://www.englishforum.ch/food-drink/)
-   -   HELP! What is white vinegar??? (https://www.englishforum.ch/food-drink/70420-help-what-white-vinegar.html)

SailAway 19.12.2009 15:42

HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
Hi all,

I have been given the task of creating a pavlova (kiwi dish) for the hostfam, my trusty recipe however, requires white vinegar....what is that in german?? so far, its not weissweinessig, maybe tafelessig??? does anyone know for sure though?

Thanks very much :)

Nil 19.12.2009 15:48

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
essig = vinegar
weiss = white

From my german husband

Guest 19.12.2009 15:50

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
This thread from our German equivalent may be helpful. :)

Glendyn 19.12.2009 16:27

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
THe BBC recipe uses white wine vinegar
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4258/pavlova
(kiwi dish)?? -> According to the BBC "An Australian classic (from Perth, in fact)"

Also as it is based on meringue it should be possible to find the ingredients in Switzerland- After all it originated here!
http://switzerland.isyours.com/e/gui.../meringue.html

nettles 19.12.2009 16:28

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
weißer Essig - I bought lovely White Balsamic vinegar in a supermarket in the main station Zurich but it was Italian - Balsamic Bianco

slammer 19.12.2009 16:32

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
White vinegar is white malt vinegar, in over thirty years I have not seen it outside of "english" commonwealth countries I am afraid you will have to make it yourself, a little tip vinegar here is made from wine and malt vinegar is made from beer.
You could try a Turkish or Asian supermarket they have something that can be used as Ersatz made from rice "Reisessig."
Give it a try.

the.frollein 19.12.2009 16:50

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
I just checked for Pavlova recipes in a German cooking forum, and one user specifies "Malzessig", another "Weißweinessig". Having never made Pavlova myself, just enjoyed it immensely, I am not sure what to recommend. I know that in Germany, you should be able to buy "Malzessig" in a "Feinkostladen" i.e. a delicatessen.

One user on the cooking forum also included their recipe for homemade Malzessig:

50 ml Essigessenz
200 ml Wasser
150 g Gerstenmalzextrakt (barley malt extract)
100 g Roh-Rohrzucker (cane sugar)

Combine in pot and boil up briefly, then let cool.

SailAway 22.12.2009 12:38

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
Legends. Thanks guys, I sorted out the vinegar issue....made my own.... worked a treat...till I accidently chucked baking powder in, not vanille sugar. So it exploded, really.

I told the hosties that that was how it was supposed to be :msnblush:...and now they've asked me for another one....how am i supposed to recreate that???:o

Anyway, I'll teach em the haka instead...thanks for the help, Merry Christmas all!

Guest 22.12.2009 12:45

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
youll find it next to red wine vinegar at your local supermarket. Good luck with the pavlova it is delicious!

curley 20.09.2018 23:30

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
So I need white vinegar and asked google what the hell this is anyway (do these people know how many million things vinegar is made of? Just giving the color, I mean really :rolleyes:).

Guess where google lead me to? Right, this thread. (Let's face it, where else did I expect?)

Slammer seemed close but further research got more specific and said "vodka-esque spirit distilled from grain".
After reading the article I'm not sure ..... do I really want such a clean tummy? :eek:

Further more, you can buy it from amazon.de for € 83.67 for just under a liter and a creature called pirateslovejazz wrote in their reference: "good price for the amount. been using this brand for years for some cooking need but mostly for cleaning. bottle arrived in good condition". :rofl:

So, I admit, I didn't get much further 9 years down the line from OP.
I had a "quick cheat Injera" recipe I wanted to try out - but I guess that would be a darn expensive trial.

So folks, can you really live with an unsolved problem on EF??? Where's your pride? :msnsarcastic:

VenusC 21.09.2018 01:48

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
I guess, i am very old... White vinegar we used was a synthetic one. :eek: i.e., nothing natural in it and it cost peanuts. I'd suggest lemon juice, afterall it's all about the correct temp when you put your mixture to bake.
Another option - look in Eastern European shops. They should have them almost certainly.

Guest 21.09.2018 07:00

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
You can also buy distilled rice vinegar in Asian shops. It‘s clear and inexpensive. Comes in a 1 liter bottle. I add vinegar to water when I poach eggs.

st2lemans 21.09.2018 07:14

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
We buy it in Italy, EUR 0.45/liter.

It's useful for cleaning and canning.

Tom

Guest 21.09.2018 08:51

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by curley (Post 2993768)
So I need white vinegar and asked google what the hell this is anyway (do these people know how many million things vinegar is made of? Just giving the color, I mean really :rolleyes:).

Guess where google lead me to? Right, this thread. (Let's face it, where else did I expect?)

Slammer seemed close but further research got more specific and said "vodka-esque spirit distilled from grain".
After reading the article I'm not sure ..... do I really want such a clean tummy? :eek:

Further more, you can buy it from amazon.de for € 83.67 for just under a liter and a creature called pirateslovejazz wrote in their reference: "good price for the amount. been using this brand for years for some cooking need but mostly for cleaning. bottle arrived in good condition". :rofl:

So, I admit, I didn't get much further 9 years down the line from OP.
I had a "quick cheat Injera" recipe I wanted to try out - but I guess that would be a darn expensive trial.

So folks, can you really live with an unsolved problem on EF??? Where's your pride? :msnsarcastic:

If you live in Zurich, head to the HB and on the lower level by the Sihlquai entrance, opposite Burger King is a small Asian grocery which sells white vinegar for less than CHF 2. I buy most of my Thai cooking goods there. Hope this helps!

Guest 21.09.2018 09:38

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrifisch (Post 2993825)
If you live in Zurich, head to the HB and on the lower level by the Sihlquai entrance, opposite Burger King is a small Asian grocery which sells white vinegar for less than CHF 2. I buy most of my Thai cooking goods there. Hope this helps!

In Winterthur, the Asiaway in the Archoefe or the Thai store behind the Bahnhof - i think it‘s wartstrasse have it.

curley 21.09.2018 13:51

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrifisch (Post 2993825)
If you live in Zurich, head to the HB and on the lower level by the Sihlquai entrance, opposite Burger King is a small Asian grocery which sells white vinegar for less than CHF 2. I buy most of my Thai cooking goods there. Hope this helps!

Yes, that's interesting, thanks.

Quote:

In Winterthur, the Asiaway in the Archoefe or the Thai store behind the Bahnhof - i think it‘s wartstrasse have it.
And that's even better for lazy me :). Plus I do visit this Thai store every few months anyway. Cheers.

legallyspeaking 21.09.2018 14:07

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
Isn't it same as tafelessig?

st2lemans 21.09.2018 14:21

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by legallyspeaking (Post 2993947)
Isn't it same as tafelessig?

No.

It's made from pure alcohol, and is pretty tasteless, thus good for cleaning (no residue) and preserving (no extra taste).

It is also clear, like water.

Table vinegar is made from wine or cider, and is never truly clear.

Tom

Guest 21.09.2018 15:02

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 2993957)
No.

It's made from pure alcohol, and is pretty tasteless, thus good for cleaning (no residue) and preserving (no extra taste).

It is also clear, like water.

Table vinegar is made from wine or cider, and is never truly clear.

Tom

Ok, so the distilled rice vinegar I was talking about is not the same thing, I think?

curley 21.09.2018 15:08

Re: HELP! What is white vinegar???
 
Quote:

Ok, so the distilled rice vinegar I was talking about is not the same thing, I think?
Back to square 1? Never mind edot, the thread was opened 2009 :D

Tom, any idea why this is so expensive at amazon.de?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0