Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.01.2010, 19:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Luzern
Posts: 66
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts
el_nello has earned some respectel_nello has earned some respect
Bread maker - where to buy?

I've had a notion to get a bread maker. I had one before I moved here but it couldn't move with me.
Could anyone recommend the best place to buy one? or even recommend a good (swiss?) model?
I had a look briefly today but didn't see any, so I'm looking in the wrong places probably!

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.01.2010, 19:50
Karl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 1,976
Groaned at 193 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 2,905 Times in 939 Posts
Karl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bread maker - where to buy?

Quote:
View Post
I've had a notion to get a bread maker. I had one before I moved here but it couldn't move with me.
Could anyone recommend the best place to buy one? or even recommend a good (swiss?) model?
I had a look briefly today but didn't see any, so I'm looking in the wrong places probably!

Many thanks.
Landi in Niederlenz. Probably available in all Landis.

Big display with recipe books, flour and samples. Saw it today. We have one..great, use it mainly for pizza dough.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30.01.2010, 20:12
angelae
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bread maker - where to buy?

We used to have one years ago but I've learned to make bread by hand and wouldn't go back - it really isn't hard and you get a much better product (without a hole in the bottom - and any shape you like)

I wouldn't go back - I know it's convenient to set it working and leave but you could save yourself a lot of money as I can't believe they are cheap in Switzerland - after all what is
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30.01.2010, 20:24
Bertrand - Geneva
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bread maker - where to buy?

Quote:
View Post
I've learned to make bread by hand and wouldn't go back - it really isn't hard and you get a much better product
Just have to agree. I love to make my own bread and the Sunday's Tresse is even more fun to do

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30.01.2010, 20:48
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,307
Groaned at 277 Times in 183 Posts
Thanked 17,718 Times in 7,479 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bread maker - where to buy?

Quote:
View Post
We used to have one years ago but I've learned to make bread by hand and wouldn't go back - it really isn't hard and you get a much better product (without a hole in the bottom - and any shape you like)

I wouldn't go back - I know it's convenient to set it working and leave but you could save yourself a lot of money as I can't believe they are cheap in Switzerland - after all what is
best thing about the bread maker was that I can set it up before going to bed with a timer and then would wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread - just ready for breakfast.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30.01.2010, 21:52
ljm ljm is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Geneva
Posts: 754
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 375 Times in 220 Posts
ljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputation
Re: Bread maker - where to buy?

I agree that the bread baked in the machine is not the best, we use the machine only for kneading -- and if you get it for a good price, on sale in Coop or Manor, for example, then it is definitely worth it.

We have a Koenig Boulanger Pro and are very happy with it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30.01.2010, 22:27
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 114
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
dibbydoo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Bread maker - where to buy?

Hi

I have one going free. pm me if you are interested!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30.01.2010, 22:39
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,238
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bread maker - where to buy?

Just get a mixer and make your own bread. It is surprising how easy it is to get into the rhythm and after a while you'll be improvising with the various white/brown/seed ratios to make your own perfect loaf.

We got fed up with the over-priced, holy (i.e. more holes than dough), cut your lips, poor dough-to-crust ratio of bread generally available here, and now bake our own using a couple of loaf tins purchased in the UK.

The mixer we bought has easily paid for itself these past 2 years that we've been baking our own.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30.01.2010, 23:18
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,004
Groaned at 207 Times in 184 Posts
Thanked 18,844 Times in 7,681 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bread maker - where to buy?

Got mine in Mediamarkt - Panasonic, with great results. Since Denner started selling Ílz (wholemeal, sliced), we've not used it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 31.01.2010, 08:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bread maker - where to buy?

Quote:
View Post
Just have to agree. I love to make my own bread and the Sunday's Tresse is even more fun to do

Purely for my general knowledge, how would you make a tresse in a bread maker ? Knead the dough, fine but the rest ?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 31.01.2010, 09:05
ljm ljm is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Geneva
Posts: 754
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 375 Times in 220 Posts
ljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputation
Re: Bread maker - where to buy?

Quote:
View Post
Purely for my general knowledge, how would you make a tresse in a bread maker ? Knead the dough, fine but the rest ?
You make the tresse manually and bake it in the oven. Bread machines are not great for baking but save a lot of time and effort for mixing and kneading. Considering that their price is not very high (you can easily get one for under 100 CHF on sale), they can be a good investment.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 31.01.2010, 10:59
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bevaix
Posts: 102
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
vydetra2 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Bread maker - where to buy?

Quote:
View Post
Just get a mixer and make your own bread. It is surprising how easy it is to get into the rhythm and after a while you'll be improvising with the various white/brown/seed ratios to make your own perfect loaf.

We got fed up with the over-priced, holy (i.e. more holes than dough), cut your lips, poor dough-to-crust ratio of bread generally available here, and now bake our own using a couple of loaf tins purchased in the UK.

The mixer we bought has easily paid for itself these past 2 years that we've been baking our own.

Dear Carlos
Please tell me in which shop you get loaf tins, I would like to obtain one or two.
In case that is not possible plan B, what could I obtain locally to replace a loaf tin, any ideas
Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank vydetra2 for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 16.02.2010, 09:42
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Luzern
Posts: 66
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts
el_nello has earned some respectel_nello has earned some respect
Re: Bread maker - where to buy?

Thanks all for the replies. I've been away or would've responded sooner.
I'm sure it is better baked rather than done in the machine but I too like waking up to the smell of fresh bread and would probably screw up the timings in the oven.
Dibbydoo, I'll PM you.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PIZZA or BREAD STONE where can I buy one from in Switzerland Tubbies-Mummy Food and drink 7 01.02.2011 14:45
Size of bread flow23 Complaints corner 49 23.04.2008 12:28


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0