Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 14.05.2008, 05:16
byby's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: usa
Posts: 174
Groaned at 30 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
byby has annoyed a few people around herebyby has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Swiss Tap Water

I found it ridiculously delicious
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 15.05.2008, 16:30
Paula's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Luzern
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paula has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss Tap Water

Quote:
View Post
I think Swiss water is great!
I agree, but unfortunately since I am living Switzerland I wont be having swiss tap water anymore!
I will be back to the crappy, water from Sweden!
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 15.05.2008, 17:08
szhjcn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,767
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 381 Times in 302 Posts
szhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss Tap Water

The controls on Tap water are very high, far higher than for bottled water.

Plus with Bottled water there are teh environmental costs:

http://www.ecoglobe.ch/water/e/bott7917.htm

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...led-water/1129

http://www.peopleandplanet.net/doc.php?id=2588

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007..._calculate.php

I drink Tap water at home which is piped through a filter in our fridge. But I admit to drinking bottled water at work due to convenience.

At UBS in Opfikon, they switched from providing free bottled water to setting up water station providing filtered/cooled and even carbonated tap water.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 15.05.2008, 17:31
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,466
Groaned at 358 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 12,595 Times in 4,294 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Tap Water

Quote:
View Post
<snip>
At UBS in Opfikon, they switched from providing free bottled water to setting up water station providing filtered/cooled and even carbonated tap water.
Is this the reason for the sight improvement in their share price?
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 17.05.2008, 14:58
wendi283's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 37
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
wendi283 has earned some respectwendi283 has earned some respect
Re: Swiss Tap Water

I think there is a tint of something in the tap water in zurich. I am not exactly sure what it is...salt?? I am used to the cold tap water in iceland, and honestly, nothing is comparable to it. The hot tap water in IS is a whole different story though..
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 17.05.2008, 16:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Swiss Tap Water

Quote:
View Post
I am not exactly sure what it is...salt??
It has a lot of calcium, doesn't it? Try boiling it, then let it cool. What floats on top?
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 18.11.2008, 01:16
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,909
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,401 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Tap Water

Quote:
View Post
I love the tap water here. That being said, I come from a place in Canada where the water is borderline brown and tastes like ass...so...I guess anything would taste better.
montreal ;-))
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 18.11.2008, 10:20
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Tap Water

Quote:
View Post
montreal ;-))
Yeah!!!! Taste like metal... from the pipes! ewwww!
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 17.11.2009, 15:08
Natachika's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 157
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 89 Times in 45 Posts
Natachika has earned some respectNatachika has earned some respect
Re: Swiss Tap Water

Is there actually a way to check the composition of tap water? Like an official website or smth?

I've read somewhere on this forum that in Basel chlorine used to be added and that they skipped this practice since delivering water also to the bordering French villages, but I feel a chlorine smell when taking showers and it doesn't make me feel comfortable
Or maybe it's not a chlorine smell, but definitely smth that should not be in water. Could it be that they add smth to the water that is heated?

Last edited by Natachika; 17.11.2009 at 15:46.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 17.11.2009, 15:11
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,144
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,951 Times in 2,233 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Tap Water

Swiss water tastes pretty decent, but too much Calcium in it.
I also like to avoid the fluoride in drinking water (mass mind control drug), but not sure how much is added here.
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 17.11.2009, 15:24
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Tap Water

It's very tasty, hard water tastes better. I have never tasted better water, in fact. Maybe in Canada.

High level of minerals, I agree - have to brush my teeth like cwazy and decalcify the whole kitchen frequently. But the taste is so nice .
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 18.11.2009, 01:36
carcharhinus's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Greater Zürich Area
Posts: 484
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 226 Times in 141 Posts
carcharhinus is considered knowledgeablecarcharhinus is considered knowledgeablecarcharhinus is considered knowledgeable
Re: Swiss Tap Water

Quote:
View Post
Is there actually a way to check the composition of tap water? Like an official website or smth?
http://www.wasserqualitaet.ch/ / Deutsch / Enter your location next to 'Wasserversorgungsname / Gemeinde' and click on 'Suchen …' / etc.

In Basel, Novartis etc. might add some 'taste' to the ground water …

Martin
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank carcharhinus for this useful post:
  #193  
Old 21.11.2009, 23:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Swiss Tap Water

Quote:
View Post
I've read somewhere on this forum that in Basel chlorine used to be added and that they skipped this practice since delivering water also to the bordering French villages, but I feel a chlorine smell when taking showers and it doesn't make me feel comfortable
Or maybe it's not a chlorine smell, but definitely smth that should not be in water. Could it be that they add smth to the water that is heated?
I'm no expert on tap water, but I was under the impression that chlorine is a standard additive to municipal water in large, "first-world" cities, for health reasons -- it's a powerful disinfectant. Was it definitely chlorine that you read about -- or could it have been fluoride? Basel discontinued the addition of fluoride to drinking water some time ago, following a citizens' vote.

This means that children, in particular, need to ensure that they receive sufficient fluoride topically (direct to the external surfaces of the teeth) to protect against caries. My dentist assures me that toothpaste, twice a day, should be sufficient. I remember taking fluoride tablets for years as a child; modern science apparently suggests this was a waste of time as the fluoride needs to be in contact with the enamel surfaces, and systemic fluoride has little effect. Drinking fluoridated water therefore provides some prophylaxis against tooth decay.
Quote:
View Post
Swiss water tastes pretty decent, but too much Calcium in it.
I also like to avoid the fluoride in drinking water (mass mind control drug), but not sure how much is added here.
I believe that all Swiss cantons have now discontinued fluoridation of municipal water. But I don't think fears of "mass mind control" were at the heart of those cantonal decisions. That crackpot conspiracy theory has been discredited over and over again, while the health benefits of topical fluoridation of teeth have been demonstrated repeatedly.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #194  
Old 22.11.2009, 00:12
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Tap Water

Quote:
View Post
It's very tasty, hard water tastes better. I have never tasted better water, in fact. Maybe in Canada.

High level of minerals, I agree - have to brush my teeth like cwazy and decalcify the whole kitchen frequently. But the taste is so nice .
Just to give you one example. In most of Zurich what you get out of the water tap is, depending on season, 50% of cleaned Lake of Zurich water and 50% of water from springs of the Sihl valley. The mixture you get differs all over Switzerland and is not really what you expect

Interesting is that the water can differ within one "commune". We had our offices in one place of Glattbrugg and I had my apartment in Adliswil. We moved offices in Glattbrugg to a different place and I took apartment in the same place .... the water is slightly lesser than in Wollishofen and Adliswil but ways better than in the previous office place ... confirming what my scientist cousin told me .... that political communes are irrelevant in this regard !
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 22.11.2009, 00:46
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,518
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Tap Water

As Nathu stated already two years ago, there is no fluorine added anywhere in Switzerland. The canton Basel Stadt added it since the 'sixties but discontinued this practice a few years ago since the entire country is getting enough fluoride through kitchen salt (JuraSel), and they would have had to replace the old fluorination equipment anyway.

As for chlorine -- I've never smelled such in any tap water in Switzerland, whereas in the USA, I often feel like entering an indoor swimming pool when opening an tap. You needn't even drink it, you smell it at a distance of several feet. At Washington Dulles Airport, I once poured a cup of 7-up from a vending machine into a toilet because it was so chlorinated I just couldn't drink it. Those vending machines use concentrates diluted in local tap water.
__________________

"This is AMAZING! I have the exact amount of money Joe Biden has cost us playing golf in my sweatpants pocket!" — Kona Lowell

Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 22.11.2009, 00:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 84
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 16 Posts
globe109 has earned some respectglobe109 has earned some respect
Re: Swiss Tap Water

This morning I was thinking about my hair and how it felt strange lately. and then I found this thread, how strange is that?

Anyway, Ive been going out of my way to find my favorite schampoo (normally I just use whatever is closest but since this thing with the hair has been annoying me I decided to do something about it) but it does not really help, my hair still feels dirty and i dont know, messed up.

Has anyone been able to decipher this mystery???

(the mystery being how to get the same good hair feeling you are used to while taking regular showers in zürich )
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 22.11.2009, 00:57
vwild1
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Swiss Tap Water

Quote:
View Post
As for chlorine -- I've never smelled such in any tap water in Switzerland, whereas in the USA, I often feel like entering an indoor swimming pool when opening an tap. You needn't even drink it, you smell it at a distance of several feet.
I remember during trips back home to California that even my daughter would comment on the funny smelling/tasting water there and that was when she was only 8..!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #198  
Old 22.11.2009, 00:59
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,518
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Tap Water

Quote:
View Post
This morning I was thinking about my hair and how it felt strange lately. and then I found this thread, how strange is that?

Anyway, Ive been going out of my way to find my favorite schampoo (normally I just use whatever is closest but since this thing with the hair has been annoying me I decided to do something about it) but it does not really help, my hair still feels dirty and i dont know, messed up.

Has anyone been able to decipher this mystery???

(the mystery being how to get the same good hair feeling you are used to while taking regular showers in zürich )
The way hair feels after washing very often depends on the hardness of the water.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #199  
Old 22.11.2009, 01:03
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 84
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 16 Posts
globe109 has earned some respectglobe109 has earned some respect
Re: Swiss Tap Water

Aha. I presume that means it would make sense to hunt for a new schampoo then? Or am I eternally doomed to bad hair?
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 22.11.2009, 06:58
ch-expat
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Swiss Tap Water

Quote:
View Post
As Nathu stated already two years ago, there is no fluorine added anywhere in Switzerland. The canton Basel Stadt added it since the 'sixties but discontinued this practice a few years ago since the entire country is getting enough fluoride through kitchen salt (JuraSel), and they would have had to replace the old fluorination equipment anyway.

As for chlorine -- I've never smelled such in any tap water in Switzerland, whereas in the USA, I often feel like entering an indoor swimming pool when opening an tap. You needn't even drink it, you smell it at a distance of several feet. At Washington Dulles Airport, I once poured a cup of 7-up from a vending machine into a toilet because it was so chlorinated I just couldn't drink it. Those vending machines use concentrates diluted in local tap water.
Agreed. Everybody uses activated carbon water filter around here. Those work great.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
faucet, health, ionised, pseudo, science, tap, water




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jacob's Cream Crackers or water biscuits? RolandRB Food and drink 67 27.06.2021 00:32
Fluoride in water? Zug bound Daily life 52 23.08.2019 11:27
Hello some questions about swiss life and Swiss men from an Irish girl lou.m Daily life 44 03.03.2015 12:30
Kalk in the water supply: how to deal with? Lou Other/general 19 24.06.2013 17:42


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0