English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Food and drink (https://www.englishforum.ch/food-drink/)
-   -   Looking for the best Döner in Zürich! (https://www.englishforum.ch/food-drink/84907-looking-best-d-ner-z-rich.html)

JonDonnnssson 01.06.2010 14:02

Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for the best Turkish Doner Kebap restaurant in Zürich or anywhere else in Switzerland! I tried a lot, but found only crap except the restaurant located in Schlieren, directly in front of the bus station (sorry, forgot the name).

What's your favorite place for this typical dinner for one??:confused:

the.frollein 01.06.2010 14:16

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
A quick search can work wonders... you will find plenty of suggestions here:

http://www.englishforum.ch/entertain...en-beyond.html

S00ty_0 01.06.2010 14:22

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
I haven't tried many Kebap places in Zurich but I have found that most that I have tried have a terrible habit of keeping the meat warm after cutting it and I have always recieved a luke-warm Kebap that wasn't what I would call good.... "good" is of course relative....

JonDonnnssson 01.06.2010 14:25

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
Ah thanks...the seach functionality is my new discovery :-)

The most ones I have learned uses no self-made sauce or even bread. Can you imagine yoghurt sauce from the bottle :msncrazy::msncrazy:

nelly579 01.06.2010 14:35

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
Best Kebab in the Niederdorf...it's the BEST, by a long shot.

prof. taratonga 01.06.2010 15:37

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
Try EGE at Josefstrasse 53, near Langstrasse.
Turkish Butchery, Shop and Take Away.

Lot of turkish people get their Kebaps there.

Wollishofener 01.06.2010 23:03

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonDonnnssson (Post 829432)
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for the best Turkish Doner Kebap restaurant in Zürich or anywhere else in Switzerland! I tried a lot, but found only crap except the restaurant located in Schlieren, directly in front of the bus station (sorry, forgot the name).

What's your favorite place for this typical dinner for one??:confused:

The best Turkish restaurant in the Zurich area of course is the
Manesse Marmara at Manessestrasse 28, 8003 Zürich
www.restaurantmanesse.ch

At the other hand, I have to remind you that Döner Kebab is the same as Shawarma Kebab in Arabic, and so, you can try the Shawarma in
Palme de Beirut, Bertastr. 76, 8003 Zch
Cèdre, Badenerstr. 78, 8004 Zch
Cèdre Bellevue, Schifflände 5, 8001 Zch
Byblos, Winterthurerstr. 21, 8303 Bassersdorf
Sultan, Hönggerstr. 120, 8037 Zch-Wipkingen
5 really superb restaurants

Tally-Ho 02.06.2010 07:23

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
I can't offer advice as we are on our way from an Arab country and I am pleased to hear about Schwarmas - that is one thing I will really miss from here, they are so much better than any other snack!:msncool:

FrankS 04.06.2010 00:52

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
There just is no good Döner in Zurich, and that's for two reasons:

-Cocktail Sauce (awful)
-meat kept warm for hours in a bucket, not freshly cut from the Döner.

My suggestion: go to Konstanz, do some shopping and have a Döner there at Kuyu Kebap or at Cafè Antik (and good Ice cream at Fernando)

04.06.2010 02:30

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wollishofener (Post 830183)
The best Turkish restaurant in the Zurich area of course is the
Manesse Marmara at Manessestrasse 28, 8003 Zürich
www.restaurantmanesse.ch

At the other hand, I have to remind you that Döner Kebab is the same as Shawarma Kebab in Arabic, and so, you can try the Shawarma in
Palme de Beirut, Bertastr. 76, 8003 Zch
Cèdre, Badenerstr. 78, 8004 Zch
Cèdre Bellevue, Schifflände 5, 8001 Zch
Byblos, Winterthurerstr. 21, 8303 Bassersdorf
Sultan, Hönggerstr. 120, 8037 Zch-Wipkingen
5 really superb restaurants

But what about Klein Istanbul? It's the only one I've tried in Switzerland but I've travelled the length and breadth of Turkey and this compares very favourably to those.

ppp 04.06.2010 02:52

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankS (Post 833596)
There just is no good Döner in Zurich, and that's for two reasons:

-Cocktail Sauce (awful)
-meat kept warm for hours in a bucket, not freshly cut from the Döner.

In fact both of these troubles could be circumvented by talking to the guy who makes it. The trouble of meat quality, salad age, yoghurt sauce recipe and of the protein to cellulose ratio usually remains though.

Wollishofener 04.06.2010 03:06

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 833614)
But what about Klein Istanbul? It's the only one I've tried in Switzerland but I've travelled the length and breadth of Turkey and this compares very favourably to those.

I have seen the Klein Istanbul sometimes, but have not yet tried it. What I have tried is the Turkish place (part of a chain) in Adliswil right across from the rail station which is far better than other members of the same chain.

2 points have to be added :

A) some Turkish places for "budget " reasons have replaced LAMB and BEEF by chicken, which is a bad attempt to both save money and "appease" what they see as "Swiss taste".
B) Much depends on you as the customer and your choice taken.

04.06.2010 03:08

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wollishofener (Post 833616)
I have seen the Klein Istanbul sometimes, but have not yet tried it. What I have tried is the Turkish place (part of a chain) in Adliswil right across from the rail station which is far better than other members of the same chain.

2 points have to be added :

A) some Turkish places for "budget " reasons have replaced LAMB and BEEF by chicken, which is a bad attempt to both save money and "appease" what they see as "Swiss taste".
B) Much depends on you as the customer and your choice taken.

Well, I'll advise you to try Klein Istanbul. The menu is small and they don't have everything I like, but it's all authentic and good with a friendly atmosphere.

Hestia 04.06.2010 08:06

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
1.001 Restaurant in Niederdorf.. keep walking down Niederdorfstr from Central, past Casa Romero, across Muhelgasse, keep going past McDonalds, the Fondu, the Mexican Restaurant, and 1,001 is ahead across from the Speghetti factory. Of course there are many turkish kebab shops on Niederdorfstrasse but this one is our favorite. We live in this area and have tried many others from the other restaurants and still nothing lives up! They also have other Turksih food. The chicken kebab is our favorite and they make it just right expecially after warming it in the overm.... mmmm.. maybe I just decided on lunch! :msntongue:

Jimmy Bee 04.06.2010 08:25

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
You live in the Niederdorf? Holy shiat thats awesome

luojie 05.06.2010 10:47

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelly579 (Post 829508)
Best Kebab in the Niederdorf...it's the BEST, by a long shot.


I agree ~~~~~~~~~~

fatih.erol 06.06.2010 23:31

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
another turkish place near sternen oerlikon, similar to ege, shop+butcher+restaurant, is Halk PazarI
http://www.halkpazari.ch

best? well, that depends on your taste... but not expensive, and they have other turkish dishes as well..

arda78 28.03.2011 09:53

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
I recommend newpoint restaurant in Albisriederplatz

sbn 28.03.2011 10:57

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
I like the ones sold in Jelmoli (basement).

Chemmie 28.03.2011 11:04

Re: Looking for the best Döner in Zürich!
 
not having tried many across Zurich, I've been told, and have been fairly impressed by the ones from Meierhofplatz. Dunno why, but they are a step up from the rest I've tried.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:21.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0