Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.09.2010, 22:02
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 506
Groaned at 41 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 610 Times in 187 Posts
makeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputation
Is Swiss Lake Fish Mercury Contamination Lower?

Hello,

I've read many places that lake fish (i.e. lake trout) can have higher mercury contamination than other types of fish.

I've also read that Swiss lakes are in a general way very clean.

Has anyone read/heard anything about how high mercury contamination is in Swiss lake fish?

Thanks for any thoughts,

MakeABigWish
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21.09.2010, 22:11
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,335
Groaned at 149 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 9,295 Times in 3,534 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Swiss Lake Fish Mercury Contamination Lower?

Do not worry about that, there is no mercury in the lakes except for the natural levels.
Just stay away from the Japanese sushi.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21.09.2010, 22:18
Thalwiler's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 329
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Thalwiler has no particular reputation at present
Re: Is Swiss Lake Fish Mercury Contamination Lower?

Quote:
View Post
Do not worry about that, there is no mercury in the lakes except for the natural levels.
Just stay away from the Japanese sushi.
That's a bit harsh, I had some good sushi in Ginger (well I did not turn green after eating)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21.09.2010, 22:21
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is Swiss Lake Fish Mercury Contamination Lower?

Whenever there is a problem with a spillage, everyone is informed. Usually you can drink all the water in all the Swiss lakes.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21.09.2010, 22:45
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Swiss Lake Fish Mercury Contamination Lower?

Can you even get lake fish? IIRC the perch you eat in the Swiss Romande region mostly (if not all) comes from Poland as they don't have enough perch in the lake.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 22.09.2010, 00:31
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 506
Groaned at 41 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 610 Times in 187 Posts
makeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputation
Re: Is Swiss Lake Fish Mercury Contamination Lower?

Quote:
View Post
Can you even get lake fish? IIRC the perch you eat in the Swiss Romande region mostly (if not all) comes from Poland as they don't have enough perch in the lake.
Very good point.

Maybe we often think we're eating local lake fish in CH restaurants when in actuality there is not enough supply for demand and they must ship a lot in.

Perhaps I should be wondering what the mercury contamination levels are for the fish in Poland, or wherever.

I have also read that when you are in some seaside mediterranean resort and think you are getting fresh fish, in reality there is much more demand that can be supplied that day and you are getting older frozen fish while sitting in a great location overlooking the ocean.

MakeABigWish
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22.09.2010, 05:20
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ------
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Eigermann has earned some respectEigermann has earned some respect
Re: Is Swiss Lake Fish Mercury Contamination Lower?

Generally the lakes are very clean, and policed constantly for trash, dumping and illegal fishing. Lac Leman is particularly under scrutiny these days.

The fish supply here is " supplemented " in quantity by outside sources, or there would not be much fare to offer. Our Restauranteurs here will provides that information when asked.

There are natural occurring levels of chemicals that collect in ice, snow, streams, ad lakes. Slammer is spot-on correct to deliniate the difference on freshwater Perch and saltwater fish; Certain saltwater fish is well-known for high concentrations of Mercury, accumulated from years of industrial sources. In the future, pelagic Aquaculture may be the only source of a consistent, and clean fish supply.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Eigermann for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 22.09.2010, 11:13
seeingbee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 384
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 408 Times in 198 Posts
seeingbee has a reputation beyond reputeseeingbee has a reputation beyond reputeseeingbee has a reputation beyond reputeseeingbee has a reputation beyond reputeseeingbee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Swiss Lake Fish Mercury Contamination Lower?

Localized pollution levels unfortunately have little to do with the amount of mercury the majority of us are exposed to via fish, unless you happen to live in a country with active artisanal gold mining (for which a lot of mercury is spilled directly into the environment). In the rest of the world, one of the major sources of mercury is via the burning of mercury-containing coal. Because of this, the mercury is highly diffuse-- it gets everywhere. So it doesn't really matter whether Swiss lakes are 'clean' or not- mercury gets deposited from the atmosphere.

However, I am not sure where you heard about the lake thing; fish in the oceans are much more highly affected. The previous post about sushi fish is related to this: many of the most highly prized sushi species comes from very large predator fish. The larger a fish, the higher up in the food web (e.g. predator) and the longer it lives the more opportunity it has to accumulate mercury. Thus, albacore tuna has some of the highest levels.

Lake fish, on the other hand, then to be smaller species and are often caught at a younger age, so if it is mercury you are worried about then they are probably a better choice. For freshwater fish, wild-caught are a good choice as farmed fish will have higher levels of other nasty things such as antibiotics and organic contaminants coming from bad feed.

Also, regarding the comment about filleting techniques, that will not help you with mercury. Organic contaminants build up in the fats of fish, so you can remove a lot of them by removing the skin and eating fillets with most of the fat trimmed, but methyl mercury unfortunately binds to protein, so there's no 'cutting it out.'

Finally, it is required by law in Switzerland that the origin of the food is available to you as a consumer, so if you are not sure where the fish comes from *ask*-- and ask also if it is wild or farm raised.
__________________
Let's not and say we did.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22.09.2010, 11:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,514
Groaned at 123 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Swiss Lake Fish Mercury Contamination Lower?

Quote:
View Post
Hi
How do scientists measure mercury in fish?I've read studies where methods regarding chemical analysis are discussed, but I can't find anywhere stating which specific tissues are sampled. I eat a lot of wild caught fish, and if I can use filleting techniques to reduce mercury, it would be nice to know. For example not eating the flesh close to the skin.
Fish accumulate mercury through the digestive cycle not through skin permeation. Hence not eating flesh close through the skin isn't going to change much.

Last edited by Slaphead; 22.09.2010 at 11:24. Reason: Removed spam link from quote
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Shorrick Mk2 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 22.09.2010, 11:18
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,335
Groaned at 149 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 9,295 Times in 3,534 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Swiss Lake Fish Mercury Contamination Lower?

Quote:
View Post
Hi
How do scientists measure mercury in fish?I've read studies where methods regarding chemical analysis are discussed, but I can't find anywhere stating which specific tissues are sampled. I eat a lot of wild caught fish, and if I can use filleting techniques to reduce mercury, it would be nice to know. For example not eating the flesh close to the skin.
Oh that is easy, if the fish are contaminated with mercury, they will float to the surface the warmer it gets.

Last edited by Slaphead; 22.09.2010 at 11:24. Reason: Removed spam link from quote
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22.09.2010, 14:53
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 506
Groaned at 41 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 610 Times in 187 Posts
makeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputation
Re: Is Swiss Lake Fish Mercury Contamination Lower?

Quote:
View Post
Localized pollution levels unfortunately have little to do with the amount of mercury the majority of us are exposed to via fish, unless you happen to live in a country with active artisanal gold mining (for which a lot of mercury is spilled directly into the environment). In the rest of the world, one of the major sources of mercury is via the burning of mercury-containing coal. Because of this, the mercury is highly diffuse-- it gets everywhere. So it doesn't really matter whether Swiss lakes are 'clean' or not- mercury gets deposited from the atmosphere.

However, I am not sure where you heard about the lake thing; fish in the oceans are much more highly affected. The previous post about sushi fish is related to this: many of the most highly prized sushi species comes from very large predator fish. The larger a fish, the higher up in the food web (e.g. predator) and the longer it lives the more opportunity it has to accumulate mercury. Thus, albacore tuna has some of the highest levels.

Lake fish, on the other hand, then to be smaller species and are often caught at a younger age, so if it is mercury you are worried about then they are probably a better choice. For freshwater fish, wild-caught are a good choice as farmed fish will have higher levels of other nasty things such as antibiotics and organic contaminants coming from bad feed.

Also, regarding the comment about filleting techniques, that will not help you with mercury. Organic contaminants build up in the fats of fish, so you can remove a lot of them by removing the skin and eating fillets with most of the fat trimmed, but methyl mercury unfortunately binds to protein, so there's no 'cutting it out.'

Finally, it is required by law in Switzerland that the origin of the food is available to you as a consumer, so if you are not sure where the fish comes from *ask*-- and ask also if it is wild or farm raised.


Big Thanks for an excellent reply. I learned a lot!

I have recently read from various places that lake fish, particularly lake trout over farmed trout, have been tested to be high. If I come across the articles I'll include the links.

Thanks again for taking the time to write such a helpful reply.

MakeABigWish
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank makeabigwish for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 16.09.2012, 23:24
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,910
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,191 Times in 3,404 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Swiss Lake Fish Mercury Contamination Lower?

http://water.usgs.gov/wid/FS_216-95/FS_216-95.html Google nows it
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16.09.2012, 23:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zug
Posts: 693
Groaned at 25 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 781 Times in 358 Posts
xkcd has a reputation beyond reputexkcd has a reputation beyond reputexkcd has a reputation beyond reputexkcd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Swiss Lake Fish Mercury Contamination Lower?

You may want to look beyond mercury as the only pollutant in Swiss lakes. The Swiss military and military industry is notorious for having disposed of toxic waste / obsolete ammunition in Lake Thun, Lake Brienz and Lake Lucerne a couple of decades ago - some 8'000 tons in total.
See here for more details (German only): http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munitio...Schweizer_Seen
Factor in the normal corrosion of grenade shells and you can expect to find a decent level of toxic waste in the water as well as in the fish these days - see here for alleged traces of the toxic waste in the fish:
http://www.swissinfo.ch/ger/Home/Arc...ml?cid=3813050
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 17.09.2012, 00:56
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,335
Groaned at 149 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 9,295 Times in 3,534 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Swiss Lake Fish Mercury Contamination Lower?

Quote:
View Post
You may want to look beyond mercury as the only pollutant in Swiss lakes. The Swiss military and military industry is notorious for having disposed of toxic waste / obsolete ammunition in Lake Thun, Lake Brienz and Lake Lucerne a couple of decades ago - some 8'000 tons in total.
See here for more details (German only): http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munitio...Schweizer_Seen
Factor in the normal corrosion of grenade shells and you can expect to find a decent level of toxic waste in the water as well as in the fish these days - see here for alleged traces of the toxic waste in the fish:
http://www.swissinfo.ch/ger/Home/Arc...ml?cid=3813050
Yup! Ya godda make sure that the trout you want to eat is properly defused.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 17.09.2012, 10:27
cricketer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: near zurich
Posts: 1,196
Groaned at 29 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,051 Times in 427 Posts
cricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Swiss Lake Fish Mercury Contamination Lower?

What about the dead bodies (allegedly) thrown into lake Zurich??
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Geneva's Lake Parade / Lake Sensation july 2010 Bertrand - Geneva Entertainment & dining 28 14.07.2010 21:10
WSJ: Swiss Lower House Rejects UBS Pact Guest Finance/banking/taxation 1 08.06.2010 22:50
Calls for lower Swiss credit card charges juice99 Swiss politics/news 1 21.05.2009 22:16


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0