Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink
View Poll Results: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?
Yes 74 52.86%
No 66 47.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:23
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 12,371
Groaned at 265 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 14,693 Times in 6,221 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
Can we keep the term 'abuse' for more serious situations. We're somewhat devaluing its usage.
abuse doesn't have to be someone physically beating another.

i know someone who would not spend money/allow their child to go to concerts, operas and other "poncy rubbish".

while not child abuse in the common sense, i'd argue that this has harmed the child's cultural and intellectual development.

of course, you could meet a childs physical needs entirely by some sort of nutrient feed while keeping them in some sort of other sensory deprivation and i think most would consider this child abuse.

denying a child certain experiences clearly moves some way along this scale even if it is obviously on the more harmless end of the scale.
__________________
By replying to this post, you hereby grant Phil_MCR a royalty-free license to use, in any way, anything posted by you on the internet. If you do not accept, stop using EF and delete your account.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:25
Lana K.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
abuse doesn't have to be someone physically beating another.

i know someone who would not spend money/allow their child to go to concerts, operas and other "poncy rubbish".

while not child abuse in the common sense, i'd argue that this has harmed the child's cultural and intellectual development.

of course, you could meet a childs physical needs entirely by some sort of nutrient feed while keeping them in some sort of other sensory deprivation and i think most would consider this child abuse.

denying a child certain experiences clearly moves some way along this scale even if it is obviously on the more harmless end of the scale.

Care to elaborate..?
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:27
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 11,563
Groaned at 309 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 16,021 Times in 6,557 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
No I´m not, I drink milk and eat cheese.

No animal has to be killed for those, right?
They feed their own babies with milk, I have no problem with milk.
Got milk?
Okay, I'll explain.

Where do cows come from? (The cows are where the milk comes from).

They are bred using a bull and a cow.

What's born? If it's a baby cow then it gets to grow into a big cow for milking.
But, if it's a baby bull then it's off to be fattened for veal, or more probably, sent off to be turned into pet food.

Pure murder (in your words)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #64  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:27
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 10,389
Groaned at 249 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 18,830 Times in 6,890 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
When you´re a kid you don´t really think about where the steak or meatballs in front of you came from.

Later on you may just even resent every adult that forced you to eat an animal that was murdered so you could have a very yummy meal.
This might be the case for city kids. When I was a kid I knew very well what happened with the cows on the farms; I also knew that my grandpa did not breed bunnys because they are fluffy and I knew that the men with the guns do not go to the forest solely to drink a lot (but nearly).

There are some people who do not resent adults for the biological reality: I am an omnivore and it is my place in the foodchain to eat everything including meat.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:28
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,732
Groaned at 46 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 4,897 Times in 1,696 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
abuse doesn't have to be someone physically beating another.

i know someone who would not spend money/allow their child to go to concerts, operas and other "poncy rubbish".

while not child abuse in the common sense, i'd argue that this has harmed the child's cultural and intellectual development.

of course, you could meet a childs physical needs entirely by some sort of nutrient feed while keeping them in some sort of other sensory deprivation and i think most would consider this child abuse.

denying a child certain experiences clearly moves some way along this scale even if it is obviously on the more harmless end of the scale.
Phil you have lost a grip on reality!

So a child who hasn't been taken to operas has been harmed due to lack of cultural development? Seriously what have you been taking today? There are many more important things for parents to spend their hard earned and sometimes little money on than taking a kid to see the opera
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Nickers for this useful post:
  #66  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:29
Lana K.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
Okay, I'll explain.

Where do cows come from? (The cows are where the milk comes from).

They are bred using a bull and a cow.

What's born? If it's a baby cow then it gets to grow into a big cow for milking.
But, if it's a baby bull then it's off to be fattened for veal, or more probably, sent off to be turned into pet food.

Pure murder (in your words)


Come on, now..you´re being funny, right?
Cos it is.
Funny.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:30
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,549
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
abuse doesn't have to be someone physically beating another.

i know someone who would not spend money/allow their child to go to concerts, operas and other "poncy rubbish".

while not child abuse in the common sense, i'd argue that this has harmed the child's cultural and intellectual development.

of course, you could meet a childs physical needs entirely by some sort of nutrient feed while keeping them in some sort of other sensory deprivation and i think most would consider this child abuse.

denying a child certain experiences clearly moves some way along this scale even if it is obviously on the more harmless end of the scale.
There's a point where the concept becomes so weak that you should stop using the word.

Not taking a child to the opera is not a form of abuse!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Gastro Gnome for this useful post:
  #68  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:30
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 12,371
Groaned at 265 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 14,693 Times in 6,221 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
No I´m not, I drink milk and eat cheese.

No animal has to be killed for those, right?
They feed their own babies with milk, I have no problem with milk.
Got milk?
you are stealing* the babies' milk:

http://www.exploreveg.org/issues/dairy.html

*word used only for emotional effect and may not reflect legal reality.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:32
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,732
Groaned at 46 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 4,897 Times in 1,696 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
This might be the case for city kids. When I was a kid I knew very well what happened with the cows on the farms; I also knew that my grandpa did not breed bunnys because they are fluffy and I knew that the men with the guns do not go to the forest solely to drink a lot (but nearly).

There are some people who do not resent adults for the biological reality: I am an omnivore and it is my place in the foodchain to eat everything including meat.
I turned veggie at 15 when i found out my favourite cow on my grandads dairy farm had been sold for 'burgers and pies' as my grandad so nicely put it. I wasn't naive and knew all about farming but to be faced with the bare truth freaked me out some what

Anyway my first flirt with vegetarianism didn't last too long to my parents relief
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:32
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,549
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
you are stealing the babies' milk:

http://www.exploreveg.org/issues/dairy.html

Do animals even have property rights?
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:33
Lana K.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
you are stealing the babies' milk:

http://www.exploreveg.org/issues/dairy.html
Then I should go to prison for theft.
So should you.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:33
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 11,563
Groaned at 309 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 16,021 Times in 6,557 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
This might be the case for city kids. When I was a kid I knew very well what happened with the cows on the farms; I also knew that my grandpa did not breed bunnys because they are fluffy and I knew that the men with the guns do not go to the forest solely to drink a lot (but nearly).

There are some people who do not resent adults for the biological reality: I am an omnivore and it is my place in the foodchain to eat everything including meat.
I think part of the problem nowadays is that children, and to be honest, most adults knowledge of the food chain is so lacking or removed from reality that they do recoil in horror when they learn where meat comes from.

A few visits to a farm, a good butcher and perhaps some cooking lessons would probably put them in better stead than a trip to the frozen food section of a supermarket and the ping of a microwave oven bell to indicate that the chicken nuggets are ready.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #73  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:34
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 10,389
Groaned at 249 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 18,830 Times in 6,890 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
Not taking a child to the opera is not a form of abuse!
I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland. - Woodie Allen

Seriously, taking kids there would be closer to abuse then leaving them at home:

Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:35
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 12,371
Groaned at 265 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 14,693 Times in 6,221 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
There's a point where the concept becomes so weak that you should stop using the word.

Not taking a child to the opera is not a form of abuse!
i can understand that some people cannot afford high quality food, or to give their children music lessons etc. but when one is able to do so, but instead deliberately and capriciously chooses reduce the quality of life for their offspring, then i would say that it is valid to consider it a form of child abuse.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #75  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:36
economisto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

NSFW

Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:36
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 10,389
Groaned at 249 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 18,830 Times in 6,890 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
i can understand that some people cannot afford high quality food, or to give their children music lessons etc. but when one is able to and deliberately and capriciously chooses reduce the quality of life for their offspring, then i would say that it is valid to consider it a form of child abuse.
Like fat camp?
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:37
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 12,371
Groaned at 265 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 14,693 Times in 6,221 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
Do animals even have property rights?
do animals have any rights?

Quote:
View Post
Then I should go to prison for theft.
So should you.
please see edited post for clarification.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:38
Lana K.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
do animals have any rights?
YES!!!

If you have any than sure as hell animals have rights too!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:39
economisto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
i can understand that some people cannot afford high quality food, or to give their children music lessons etc. but when one is able to and deliberately and capriciously chooses reduce the quality of life for their offspring, then i would say that it is valid to consider it a form of child abuse.
I would agree. Of course, we're talking in broad concepts here - no one is trying to say that this isn't the most mild form of child abuse, but rather that it's "not doing the best for the welfare of your child".
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 29.10.2010, 16:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,377
Groaned at 592 Times in 449 Posts
Thanked 13,930 Times in 5,412 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is raising children as vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians a form of child abuse?

Quote:
View Post
do animals have any rights?.
I really don't get your question, animals have had rights for many years.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vegetarians and Vegans... Canadian_dude General off-topic 110 16.08.2014 19:27
Australian candidate links gay marriage to child abuse lj667 International affairs/politics 11 09.08.2010 20:25
Raising your children from everyone and everything you love and grew up with sunflower76 Family matters/health 13 19.03.2010 15:12
The dos and don'ts of raising children Mikeybroomers Jokes/funnies 7 28.01.2008 12:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0