Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > Football/sports  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.08.2011, 10:51
cricketer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: near zurich
Posts: 1,196
Groaned at 29 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,051 Times in 427 Posts
cricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond repute
England versus India - whitewash!!

Since all our EF's from the sub-continent are quiet on this subject I thought I would raise it
England have completely outplayed India in all departments!! The Indian team have been very poor , with the exception of Dravid no batsman has performed at all. Their fielding has been lamentable and Dhoni behind the stumps has been just a "stopper". In contrast Englands performance has been superb in all aspects of the game and are now rightly No1 in the world. It has been a pleasure to watch England dismantling India and grinding them into the ground!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21.08.2011, 11:24
beardsy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 448
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 303 Times in 125 Posts
beardsy has a reputation beyond reputebeardsy has a reputation beyond reputebeardsy has a reputation beyond reputebeardsy has a reputation beyond reputebeardsy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

It's a joy!

I've enjoyed reading all the articles about how they went from being number 6 in the rankings to number 1 in two and a half years. Incremental progress, teamwork, a strong team ethic, doing the right things... It's amazing.

But India are a shambles. The team that won the world cup was sensational. Who are these guys?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21.08.2011, 11:32
mhk mhk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 163
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 19 Posts
mhk has made some interesting contributions
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

Quote:
View Post
It's a joy!

I've enjoyed reading all the articles about how they went from being number 6 in the rankings to number 1 in two and a half years. Incremental progress, teamwork, a strong team ethic, doing the right things... It's amazing.

But India are a shambles. The team that won the world cup was sensational. Who are these guys?
the team that was sent home early from the world cup was a bunch of hopeless men ..who are these guys ?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22.08.2011, 19:53
Caviarchips's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 3,979
Groaned at 99 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,388 Posts
Caviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

Genuine shame that Tendulkar didn't get the nine runs to make his 100th century....would have been great to see and I think his ovation would have been memorable...

Apart from England being superb though, how possibly were India the number 2 team in the world??
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22.08.2011, 20:02
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

Quote:
View Post
It's a joy!

I've enjoyed reading all the articles about how they went from being number 6 in the rankings to number 1 in two and a half years. Incremental progress, teamwork, a strong team ethic, doing the right things... It's amazing.

But India are a shambles. The team that won the world cup was sensational. Who are these guys?
You can't compare a one day side to a test side.

India were awful though. Made England look a lot better than they are IMO. They probably scored more double centuries in this series than in the last decade.

I'm just looking forward to England going to some shitty teams country and being brought down to earth. A la their tour to Pakistan after winning the 2005 ashes.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22.08.2011, 21:40
beardsy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 448
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 303 Times in 125 Posts
beardsy has a reputation beyond reputebeardsy has a reputation beyond reputebeardsy has a reputation beyond reputebeardsy has a reputation beyond reputebeardsy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

They're in Pakistan next. With the competition for places, it's unlikely they'll take the foot off the pedal.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22.08.2011, 22:45
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

Quote:
View Post
They're in Pakistan next. With the competition for places, it's unlikely they'll take the foot off the pedal.
They're in Abu dhabi and Dubai I think. Regardless Pakistan don't have the home advantage of the visiting side being scared they will get suicide bombed
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.08.2011, 22:58
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

Quote:
View Post
You can't compare a one day side to a test side.

India were awful though. Made England look a lot better than they are IMO. They probably scored more double centuries in this series than in the last decade.

I'm just looking forward to England going to some shitty teams country and being brought down to earth. A la their tour to Pakistan after winning the 2005 ashes.
England are a different prospect now compared to the team of 2005. Far more cohesive and a far better team spirit and philosophy. If one player fails, there are 2 or 3 to step up to the mark. With half a dozen guys ready to jump in should anyone be injured, they should be a force to reckon with for a few years to come. We have batsmen who can score and a really hungry pack of bowlers. Life is good .
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22.08.2011, 23:04
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

Quote:
View Post
England are a different prospect now compared to the team of 2005. Far more cohesive and a far better team spirit and philosophy. If one player fails, there are 2 or 3 to step up to the mark. With half a dozen guys ready to jump in should anyone be injured, they should be a force to reckon with for a few years to come. We have batsmen who can score and a really hungry pack of bowlers. Life is good .
England beating the Aus side back then was a far bigger achievement than the whitewash of the current India team.

The current India team has been ruined by the IPL. Do the Indian players care? Not when they are getting paid that much no.

PS I'm not Indian. I'm just trying to be objective. The England team is good for sure...made to look a lot better by a poor Indian side playing away from home.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 17.10.2011, 17:53
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

Not doing so well away from home
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 17.10.2011, 18:40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 11 Posts
global_citizen has no particular reputation at present
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

Quote:
View Post
Not doing so well away from home
lovin it....

guess its time for role reversal again.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 17.10.2011, 18:57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: La Cote
Posts: 382
Groaned at 18 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 307 Times in 147 Posts
Nyonais has made some interesting contributions
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

Quote:
View Post
England beating the Aus side back then was a far bigger achievement than the whitewash of the current India team.

The current India team has been ruined by the IPL. Do the Indian players care? Not when they are getting paid that much no.

PS I'm not Indian. I'm just trying to be objective. The England team is good for sure...made to look a lot better by a poor Indian side playing away from home.
More than the Indian players, its the Indian board which needs to be blamed for the crazy schedule which makes the players play as if they are robots.

The board didn't allow even the World Cup victory to sink in, neither for the fans nor the players. The IPL started just within a week of the World Cup victory.

The IPL is the Indian board tournament and whilst a player can opt out, it can be held against him. Especially if he happens to be a top star. E.g. just look at what Mahindra Singh Dhoni had to go through to keep his IPL masters (Chennai Super Kings, run by the present Chief of the Board) happy. Dhoni went to SA, then came back and played the WC then immediately the IPL (almost two months non-stop), then somehow managed to avoid the ODI series in West Indies but played the Test series there and then the entire English tour. Within a couple of days of coming back from England, he was captaining the Chennai Supper Kings in the Champions League. The guy must have been so tired and jaded physically and mentally that he termed CSK's loss in the preliminary rounds of the Champions League as a "blessing in disguise". This, from a proud Captain having taken the same team to victory thrice (I think. Two IPL titles and one Champions League title). One can imagine how bad it must have been for him.

This has been the same story with almost every top player. The Indian players do care but do not want to antagonise the Board, since the playing careers are short and the competition to get in to the national team intense. If one opts out (unless forced by injury) for rest etc. the fear of not getting back again is intense.
__________________
Some times you are the pigeon, some times the statue!

Last edited by Nyonais; 17.10.2011 at 19:12.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20.10.2011, 18:56
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 11 Posts
global_citizen has no particular reputation at present
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

and Dhoni Does it Again ............. Pressure or no Pressure...... too much Cricket or not........... yipeeeeee

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 20.10.2011, 20:20
cricketer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: near zurich
Posts: 1,196
Groaned at 29 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,051 Times in 427 Posts
cricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

Seems like a long time ago that I started this thread!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 21.10.2011, 00:25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: La Cote
Posts: 382
Groaned at 18 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 307 Times in 147 Posts
Nyonais has made some interesting contributions
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

Quote:
View Post
and Dhoni Does it Again ............. Pressure or no Pressure...... too much Cricket or not........... yipeeeeee

Dont forget, it was Rahane, Patel and Gambhir who started it today and Dhoni finished it in style with Jadeja. Great show. It 3-0 right now. Lets hope its gets better in the remaining two
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 21.10.2011, 11:44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 11 Posts
global_citizen has no particular reputation at present
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

Quote:
View Post
Dont forget, it was Rahane, Patel and Gambhir who started it today and Dhoni finished it in style with Jadeja. Great show. It 3-0 right now. Lets hope its gets better in the remaining two
u bet........ i hope this will be a 5-0 whitewash......

and no doubt. the top order was just fabulous
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 21.10.2011, 12:04
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
7Elway has no particular reputation at present
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

Oh and just to add its 3-0, without Sachin, Sehwag, Yuvraj, Zaheer, Munaf, Rohit Sharma, Harbhajan, Nehra.
No matter what happens in rest of the series...this series win was very important for Team India specially against the same opposition.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 21.10.2011, 12:06
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

First the English were getting way ahead of themselves and talking up the team now it's the Indian's turn?

Never underestimate the power of a home advantage.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 21.10.2011, 12:06
tom tulpe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,182
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,409 Times in 646 Posts
tom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

Quote:
View Post
Oh and just to add its 3-0, because Sachin, Sehwag, Yuvraj, Zaheer, Munaf, Rohit Sharma, Harbhajan, Nehra aren't playing.
Fixed that for you.

Maybe the new guys all have yet to give their mobile numbers to Mr. Big from Mumbai...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 21.10.2011, 13:28
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
7Elway has no particular reputation at present
Re: England versus India - whitewash!!

Quote:
View Post
Fixed that for you.

Maybe the new guys all have yet to give their mobile numbers to Mr. Big from Mumbai...
So you mean to say England won the Test and ODI series recently because of Mr. Big from Mumbai. Damm and I thought England team played well after ages....I should have known their losing habits in Cricket, Football and Rugby are hard to die After 3-0, definitely the English fans feel like Home.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cricket




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India vs England kalyan TV/internet/telephone 11 30.07.2011 01:57
India England 1st Cricket Test at Lords Nyonais Football/sports 0 22.07.2011 20:45
Zweifel versus Walkers Suisse2008 Food and drink 40 14.04.2011 00:25
Cricket WC India England 27th Feb Bengaluru Nyonais Football/sports 6 27.02.2011 18:20
To Switzerland from England via India India Introductions 7 18.06.2007 20:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0