Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > Football/sports  
View Poll Results: Who is going to win the Euro 2020/2021
France 16 21.33%
England 18 24.00%
Italy 10 13.33%
Belgium 6 8.00%
Germany 4 5.33%
Switzerland 7 9.33%
Portugal 2 2.67%
Northern Macedonia 3 4.00%
Holland 4 5.33%
other 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141  
Old 30.06.2021, 11:31
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,619
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,463 Times in 7,746 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
You must be a great football fan then. I watch it merely not to miss out, just in case when caught up in a conversation next day, I can follow what everyone else is talking about
and with youtube, you can watch the french/swiss game highlights in 5 minutes at 2x speed including penalties.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 30.06.2021, 11:37
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,431
Groaned at 40 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 4,609 Times in 2,125 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
Yes Tom, obviously I went and asked a group of 30+ drunk football fans surrounding me to "tone it down". Because that is what smart people do, right?
Me and my friends have been asked to calm down in the bar for much less.

Wonder what the bar employees thought about. If they're not ready to deal with drunk people......well, it's their damned job hahaha If the employees did nothing, it means it's acceptable behavior in that particular bar.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 30.06.2021, 11:44
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
Me and my friends have been asked to calm down in the bar for much less.

Wonder what the bar employees thought about. If they're not ready to deal with drunk people......well, it's their damned job hahaha If the employees did nothing, it means it's acceptable behavior in that particular bar.
Maybe they know their regulars.

Some can get very loud and obnoxious but the staff know they would never harm anybody.

But if they don't know you they may be more on their guard.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 30.06.2021, 11:59
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 106 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 1,583 Times in 721 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
Understand, but then you won't come on EF and act like a male Karen about the obnoxious fans
One, I resent the insult

Two, I did not come on EF to complain - follow the stream of discussion, I responded to comments about obnoxious fans at sporting events

Lastly, sporting events are meant to be enjoyed not to be obnoxious - at no point is this considered permissible, most venues have to remind those entering what is appropriate since apparently their parents failed to provide them the fundamentals on how to interact in society...I also don't curse out my doctor either
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 30.06.2021, 12:00
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 106 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 1,583 Times in 721 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
You must be a great football fan then. I watch it merely not to miss out, just in case when caught up in a conversation next day, I can follow it when everyone else is talking about it
I'm a fan, whether I am great or not is very subjective. I am just not ruled by my emotions and recognize sport is meant to be enjoyed
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 30.06.2021, 12:05
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,855
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,638 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
I'm a fan, whether I am great or not is very subjective. I am just not ruled by my emotions and recognize sport is meant to be enjoyed
To be honest, I prefer watching rugby and cricket much better!

"Soccer is a gentleman's game played by hooligans, and rugby is a hooligans' game played by gentlemen" -Winston Churchill.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 30.06.2021, 12:06
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,565
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,554 Times in 3,388 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

can Chuff name the bar with all the WW2 veterans so riled up about a footy match so we can avoid going there?

I remember being at Paddy Reilly's when England beat Germany 5-1 and holding my head in my hands when Jancker scored early on. The three Germans on the next table left at 3-1 - not because anyone was abusing them or Germans in general, just because they did not like what was on the TV. I seem to remember some England fans jumping in celebration right into their faces, an act for which I apologised stating that not everyone is like that.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 30.06.2021, 12:09
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,431
Groaned at 40 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 4,609 Times in 2,125 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
Maybe they know their regulars.

Some can get very loud and obnoxious but the staff know they would never harm anybody.

But if they don't know you they may be more on their guard.
All makes sense. As bar owner you don't fight the regulars. If the noisy ones are known as harmless, let them be. The time we were asked to calm down was on a new bar having fun with the company credit card.

In any case, shouting at the TV is a way to let stress out for some people. Also, if you cannot be noisy in the bar, where else? That shouting at home would disturb the neighbors. Let the people be free in the bar.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 30.06.2021, 12:13
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,855
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,638 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
All makes sense. As bar owner you don't fight the regulars. If the noisy ones are known as harmless, let them be. The time we were asked to calm down was on a new bar having fun with the company credit card.

In any case, shouting at the TV is a way to let stress out for some people. Also, if you cannot be noisy in the bar, where else? That shouting at home would disturb the neighbors. Let the people be free in the bar.
The same neighbors who were honking well past midnight.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 30.06.2021, 12:22
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
All makes sense. As bar owner you don't fight the regulars. If the noisy ones are known as harmless, let them be. The time we were asked to calm down was on a new bar having fun with the company credit card.

In any case, shouting at the TV is a way to let stress out for some people. Also, if you cannot be noisy in the bar, where else? That shouting at home would disturb the neighbors. Let the people be free in the bar.
Yes.

Bars have all sorts of microcosms involving regulars and sometimes there are things you don't immediately understand. Such as the guy who is acting up so loudly is maybe best mates with the owner. Some people have to pay up immediately and other people can just put everything on the tab. All these things have reasons and as a newbie you may not see through them.
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 30.06.2021, 12:25
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 2,243
Groaned at 113 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 4,240 Times in 1,649 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Amazing! England beats Germany in a proper tournament and all you discuss is the appropriateness of some random guys' behaviour in a bar.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 30.06.2021, 12:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 98
Groaned at 31 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 415 Times in 114 Posts
vushka has a reputation beyond reputevushka has a reputation beyond reputevushka has a reputation beyond reputevushka has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Anywhere there's sports fans and alcohol there will always be some level of obnoxiousness. Sometimes even without the alcohol.

I agree with Chuff about not saying anything to the louts. There are times when you do have to stand up, but for what they did it doesn't really seem worth it, there will always be idiots around.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 30.06.2021, 12:30
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,431
Groaned at 40 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 4,609 Times in 2,125 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
Amazing! England beats Germany in a proper tournament and all you discuss is the appropriateness of some random guys' behaviour in a bar.
Hey, those noisy guys in the bar are not aware that they must behave as if they were guests on Chuff's home. It's a serious issue.

PS. well done England even if I'm losing in the tippspiel
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 30.06.2021, 12:36
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,137
Groaned at 236 Times in 198 Posts
Thanked 21,881 Times in 8,944 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
One, I resent the insult

Two, I did not come on EF to complain - follow the stream of discussion, I responded to comments about obnoxious fans at sporting events

Lastly, sporting events are meant to be enjoyed not to be obnoxious - at no point is this considered permissible, most venues have to remind those entering what is appropriate since apparently their parents failed to provide them the fundamentals on how to interact in society...I also don't curse out my doctor either
I think he was actually having a dig at Chuff with the comment about complaints about obnoxious fans. If you read his comment again he said that you wouldn’t be in EF complaining about them.

The two of them have some sort of bromance going on.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 30.06.2021, 12:38
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,563
Groaned at 71 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,058 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
-
I was talking about forum Karen Chuff and his virtue signalling.
I personally stay away from crowded areas, football or no football.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 30.06.2021, 12:39
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,563
Groaned at 71 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,058 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
This just sound like regular terrace banter and I'm sure there were similar scenes in German bars. I'd be far more ashamed and inclined to have a word if they started making monkey gestures towards opposing black players.
This
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 30.06.2021, 12:41
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,619
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,463 Times in 7,746 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
Understand, but then you won't come on EF and act like a male Karen about the obnoxious fans
Male Karen = Daren?
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 30.06.2021, 12:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,475
Groaned at 299 Times in 228 Posts
Thanked 19,502 Times in 6,791 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
This just sound like regular terrace banter and I'm sure there were similar scenes in German bars. I'd be far more ashamed and inclined to have a word if they started making monkey gestures towards opposing black players.
I agree. Key purpose of such championships is anyway to bring up all nationalistic cliches once again - after all, why else would one organize a competition between countries?
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 30.06.2021, 13:10
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post

PS. well done England even if I'm losing in the tippspiel
Isn’t the whole point of those Tipp games that you bet against the team you want to win

That way you either have the pleasure of seeing your team winning or the money as consolation

That’s what many of my Swiss friends do
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 30.06.2021, 13:13
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,100
Groaned at 554 Times in 433 Posts
Thanked 23,895 Times in 9,647 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
Amazing! England beats Germany in a proper tournament and all you discuss is the appropriateness of some random guys' behaviour in a bar.
We're still in shock. First knock-out win against Germany since 1966.

Then they chanted, "Two world wars and one world cup!"

How times (haven't) changed.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DÉCLARATION D’IMPÔT SIMPLIFIÉE 2020 - Tax at source 2020 declaration questions Kirabi Finance/banking/taxation 0 05.01.2021 16:12
Paperless on 2020? lpuerto Finance/banking/taxation 12 20.11.2020 12:15
CDL expired on 12.09.2020 requested for an extension permit stay on 11.09.2020 in GE A jojo Permits/visas/government 6 15.09.2020 13:53
Belarus 2020 yacek International affairs/politics 47 03.09.2020 15:31


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0