Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > Football/sports  
View Poll Results: Who is going to win the Euro 2020/2021
France 16 21.33%
England 18 24.00%
Italy 10 13.33%
Belgium 6 8.00%
Germany 4 5.33%
Switzerland 7 9.33%
Portugal 2 2.67%
Northern Macedonia 3 4.00%
Holland 4 5.33%
other 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Old 30.06.2021, 13:47
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 1,807
Groaned at 85 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,326 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
We're still in shock. First knock-out win against Germany since 1966.

Then they chanted, "Two world wars and one world cup!"

How times (haven't) changed.
You can keep the wars as long as we have four world cups. In the mean time we will butcher what is left of Löw's reputation.

Like many politicians, also football coaches miss the right moment to retire or move on.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 30.06.2021, 13:56
Pachyderm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,483
Groaned at 73 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 3,231 Times in 1,105 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
Watched the England match last night, surrounded by male England fans constantly shouting random stuff like "**** YOU ****ING KRAUTS" at the screen, yelling "**** OFF BACK TO BED YOU ****" to the crying German child". Just in general behaving like the most obnoxious and vulgar louts and most undignified and unsportsmanlike football fans in Europe. It was truly cringeworthy to listen to.
Where was this? I've watched all 4 England games so far in 3 different pubs (Zurich and Zug) and haven't witnessed anything like this. The atmosphere has been really great, with the only moaning being directed at the team, not the opposition. I suspect there's a certain amount of confirmation bias going on. We pick up on the behaviour of a few random drunks and tar everyone with the same brush, given their reputation. The fact is that the very big majority of England fans are well-behaved and very decent -- and I say this as someone who's been to two world cups and a Euro tournament supporting England. There certainly are some nutters out there but I've seen horrible football fans from all over Europe - especially in Milan and Prague, In fact the old eastern bloc countries have some very nasty fans indeed. But again, the big majority of supporters in these places are great.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 30.06.2021, 14:16
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,770
Groaned at 522 Times in 414 Posts
Thanked 23,268 Times in 9,400 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
This just sound like regular terrace banter and I'm sure there were similar scenes in German bars. I'd be far more ashamed and inclined to have a word if they started making monkey gestures towards opposing black players.
Castro, it looks like it's not that regular:

Quote:
View Post
Where was this? I've watched all 4 England games so far in 3 different pubs (Zurich and Zug) and haven't witnessed anything like this. The atmosphere has been really great, with the only moaning being directed at the team, not the opposition. I suspect there's a certain amount of confirmation bias going on. We pick up on the behaviour of a few random drunks and tar everyone with the same brush, given their reputation. The fact is that the very big majority of England fans are well-behaved and very decent -- and I say this as someone who's been to two world cups and a Euro tournament supporting England.
That's reassuring.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 30.06.2021, 14:29
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,562
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,547 Times in 3,386 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
You can keep the wars as long as we have four world cups. In the mean time we will butcher what is left of Löw's reputation.

Like many politicians, also football coaches miss the right moment to retire or move on.
amen, Bruder

Like his hair, his playing style was monumental for a certain game against Brazil but does not work today. Kinda like the ticky-tacky Spain style not being effective against everyone any more.

Defending is the art now. Except for Sweden and Ukraine
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 30.06.2021, 19:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,640 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
Why would you, in this case, got punched and kicked - surely we're talking, as I wrote, bankers and scientists if it was in Switzerland?

It's not impossible that some of them frequent this forum. Who knows?

Maybe they'll respond here and justify their behaviour?

I guess, under the circumstances, you did what you felt was right and I'm not knocking you for that.
I guess I don't frequent those types of places and when I have watched international football abroad, it's always been pretty civilised.
In Chuff's defence, sometimes observing one's countrymen and getting "disgusted" by their behaviour, followed by a good rant on internet or with friends is one of the most satisfying things in life... Plus you can feel superior.
It's like gossiping about obnoxious relatives.

I am kidding, but seriously now - why do you think one has to interfere?
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 30.06.2021, 19:59
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Zug
Posts: 16
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 39 Times in 15 Posts
Necromancer has an excellent reputationNecromancer has an excellent reputationNecromancer has an excellent reputationNecromancer has an excellent reputation
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
You can keep the wars as long as we have four world cups. In the mean time we will butcher what is left of Löw's reputation.

Like many politicians, also football coaches miss the right moment to retire or move on.
Priorities dear boy …priorities..
Though I had nothing to do do with it.. long before I entered the world ..I would still rather that the English stay on the winning side re. World wars.
The Germans can win as many world cups as they want if that makes you feel better.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 30.06.2021, 20:05
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,292
Groaned at 394 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 19,994 Times in 10,412 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
Where was this? I've watched all 4 England games so far in 3 different pubs (Zurich and Zug) and haven't witnessed anything like this. The atmosphere has been really great, with the only moaning being directed at the team, not the opposition. I suspect there's a certain amount of confirmation bias going on. We pick up on the behaviour of a few random drunks and tar everyone with the same brush, given their reputation. The fact is that the very big majority of England fans are well-behaved and very decent -- and I say this as someone who's been to two world cups and a Euro tournament supporting England. There certainly are some nutters out there but I've seen horrible football fans from all over Europe - especially in Milan and Prague, In fact the old eastern bloc countries have some very nasty fans indeed. But again, the big majority of supporters in these places are great.
It wasn't me, I swear.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 30.06.2021, 20:10
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 1,807
Groaned at 85 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,326 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
Priorities dear boy …priorities..
Though I had nothing to do do with it.. long before I entered the world ..I would still rather that the English stay on the winning side re. World wars.
The Germans can win as many world cups as they want if that makes you feel better.
Cool. Make sure you have your former colony ready to bail you out as usual if you ever find yourself in a world war again. Next time the adversary will be worse.

Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 30.06.2021, 20:24
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,770
Groaned at 522 Times in 414 Posts
Thanked 23,268 Times in 9,400 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
In Chuff's defence, sometimes observing one's countrymen and getting "disgusted" by their behaviour, followed by a good rant on internet or with friends is one of the most satisfying things in life... Plus you can feel superior.
It's like gossiping about obnoxious relatives.

I am kidding, but seriously now - why do you think one has to interfere?
One doesn't have to. One need never do anything. I wasn't there so I can't comment on who else was there but suppose there been some German families watching the game too in the same place?

My son saw some "funny" internet memes on the web about the German girl crying and he was pretty shocked.

It doesn't make me feel superior and was hardly a rant.
It's like the dead body on the tram - it saddens me when people just ignore these things as they don't like to 'interfere'.

I guess it's the way of the world.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 30.06.2021, 20:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 4,887
Groaned at 247 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 6,645 Times in 3,128 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

I really hate the jingoism these tournaments bring on.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 30.06.2021, 20:28
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,770
Groaned at 522 Times in 414 Posts
Thanked 23,268 Times in 9,400 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
I really hate the jingoism these tournaments bring on.
Yeah, all that nationalist flag flying really p1sses me off.

(Looks out of window and sees....)
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 30.06.2021, 20:31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 33
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 186 Times in 50 Posts
vushka has a reputation beyond reputevushka has a reputation beyond reputevushka has a reputation beyond reputevushka has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
I really hate the jingoism these tournaments bring on.
Thats the best part!
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 30.06.2021, 21:02
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Zug
Posts: 16
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 39 Times in 15 Posts
Necromancer has an excellent reputationNecromancer has an excellent reputationNecromancer has an excellent reputationNecromancer has an excellent reputation
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
Cool. Make sure you have your former colony ready to bail you out as usual if you ever find yourself in a world war again. Next time the adversary will be worse.

History not your strong point?
Mind you ,I never could understand why a so-called civilised people such as the Germans could swallow everything the man with a ‘tache told them.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 30.06.2021, 21:25
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,586
Groaned at 2,354 Times in 1,712 Posts
Thanked 38,382 Times in 18,114 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
I really hate the jingoism these tournaments bring on.
And I love it, it's soccer's only redeeming value!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 30.06.2021, 21:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,946
Groaned at 472 Times in 353 Posts
Thanked 11,896 Times in 6,184 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
I agree with Chuff about not saying anything to the louts. There are times when you do have to stand up, but for what they did it doesn't really seem worth it, there will always be idiots around.
Generally that makes sense, assuming the precondition of general aggressiveness and willingness to use physical force is even met. However, chuff has repeatedly claimed that he'll say whatever, whenever, in real life and to anybody and everybody.

Well, he just proved himself a liar, stating instead that he's all talk and no action. Not much of a surprise really, but seeing him say so is indeed something else.
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 30.06.2021, 21:34
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,586
Groaned at 2,354 Times in 1,712 Posts
Thanked 38,382 Times in 18,114 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
chuff has repeatedly claimed that he'll say whatever, whenever, in real life and to anybody and everybody. Well, he just proved himself a liar by stating that he's all talk and no action.
I'm game, if anybody wants to meet up!

I'll bring my wife to deal with the riff-raff.

Tom

P.S. One of her childhood friends (well, we are in Switzerland) is the top TI cop.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 30.06.2021, 21:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,946
Groaned at 472 Times in 353 Posts
Thanked 11,896 Times in 6,184 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
I'm game, if anybody wants to meet up!

I'll bring my wife to deal with the riff-raff.

Tom

P.S. One of her childhood friends (well, we are in Switzerland) is the top TI cop.
Too stressful for an old bloke. I'm more of the bbq type, preferably with a beer or two to go along. And a glass of wine with the meat.

Besides, the way you describe her she's way too fierce (when she wants to be) to take your challenge. What's a men left to do when not even Swiss German makes an impression???
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 30.06.2021, 21:52
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 1,807
Groaned at 85 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,326 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
History not your strong point?
Mind you ,I never could understand why a so-called civilised people such as the Germans could swallow everything the man with a ‘tache told them.
LOL, and we are the ones without a sense of humor.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 30.06.2021, 21:56
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,529
Groaned at 51 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,645 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
Cool. Make sure you have your former colony ready to bail you out as usual if you ever find yourself in a world war again. Next time the adversary will be worse.

Given England is really a 1500 year old (low) German colony, the USA is your (meta) colony too.

Anyway, well done to Germany for being gentlemen and much better losers than England were winners.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 30.06.2021, 22:00
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 1,807
Groaned at 85 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,326 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
Given England is really a 1500 year old (low) German colony, the USA is your (meta) colony too.

Anyway, well done to Germany for being gentlemen and much better losers than England were winners.
I can tell you, Jogi Löw currently doesn't think we are good losers.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DÉCLARATION D’IMPÔT SIMPLIFIÉE 2020 - Tax at source 2020 declaration questions Kirabi Finance/banking/taxation 0 05.01.2021 16:12
Paperless on 2020? lpuerto Finance/banking/taxation 12 20.11.2020 12:15
CDL expired on 12.09.2020 requested for an extension permit stay on 11.09.2020 in GE A jojo Permits/visas/government 6 15.09.2020 13:53
Belarus 2020 yacek International affairs/politics 47 03.09.2020 15:31


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0