Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Support > Support > Forum support  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.02.2011, 17:28
transition
 
Posts: n/a
Offering 'employment' on EF...

OK, have to get this off my chest.

I can't stand the increasing number of chancers who are getting off on posting up job offers (to the already stressed unemployed) offering basically nothing. Well, actually, not nothing as there are even some who expect job-searchers to bend over backwards for nothing, it's obvious, I did some 'research'...

There's a guy going around offering building jobs that don't exist.. .."well, I actually haven't got the business yet because I can't start without the workers" ..and.. .."I don't have any equipment, you have to supply that" ..

Then there are those who expect you to drop everything in 2 hours to be at a place, then a message saying there's been a change in plans... you can guess. Those that are making themselves feel like they are an employer but are obviously acting alone promising more than they can offer...

STOP! You fools. You may be outed if you continue.

(I thought I would do a bit of research instead of my usual EF activities for a week as a few friends had told me about some instances that, frankly, can really make an already frustrated job searcher desperate)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.02.2011, 17:37
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Offering 'employment' on EF...

Professional employment agents in the making.

Name and shame.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16.02.2011, 17:47
transition
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Offering 'employment' on EF...

Quote:
View Post
Professional employment agents in the making.

Name and shame.
None of the worst have status above Junior member so I will if it continues. It's the kind of activity mods surely won't have the time to check & I hate to think I would go above their heads but it is ridiculous (I give just one example) to offer employment that doesn't exist & tell the job-searcher that they will have to outlay for (expensive building) equipment.

There are a lot of posters who are not bothering to even reply to some who have been in communication, promised something, then have not heard a thing back. W***ers, you know who you are.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16.02.2011, 17:58
transition
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Offering 'employment' on EF...

Quote:
Hi,

I am looking for long-term part-time workers for jobs at different locations. Workers would need their own car and have a decent level of expertise.

References a must!

I have a construction firm and am slowly building it up. If you want to join we are looking for; tile (walls and floors) layers, painters, and laminate layers.

Contact me by PM for more info.
..fiction by ZRH

No you don't, you don't have sweet .... all, no registered company, no transport, no equipment, no expenses offered & above all, no pending work!

Go & die...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 16.02.2011, 18:12
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Offering 'employment' on EF...

Quote:
View Post
None of the worst have status above Junior member so I will if it continues.
Regardless of their forum status, I think people deserve the right to know - especially on the thread in question. Just like if a seller in the FOR SALE section is dishonest or pricing their items unreasonably high, they deserve to be outed. It will really save people alot of unnecessary stress.

I responded to one of the ads some time back, for part time work - thought I could put my billingual skills into good use but I didnt get a good feeling when I spoke to the creator of the ad. He kept putting me on hold to pick up other calls - not just once, but loads of times. Most unprofessional. Later found out that a fellow EFer did the job and has yet been paid for it.

I am sorry that you are getting blind leads so far. Hang in there.
__________________
Remember when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, BUT it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and b****-slap the mother-f***er upside the head.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank summerrain for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 16.02.2011, 18:33
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Offering 'employment' on EF...

Hi transition. I'm sorry to say that my venture didn't take off and the role you took as "thread starter" isn't going to be paid.
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 16.02.2011, 18:53
transition
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Offering 'employment' on EF...

Quote:
View Post
Hi transition. I'm sorry to say that my venture didn't take off and the role you took as "thread starter" isn't going to be paid.
"Thread Starter?????" ... You told me the actual job title for your vacancy was ..'Thread initiation executive'
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 16.02.2011, 20:18
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,860
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,609 Times in 3,658 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Offering 'employment' on EF...

Such useless gits who make other people believe and keep their hopes high. I run up and down beyond belief to make my wife's business growing and such unprofessional wankers score very low in my books! People get real.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17.02.2011, 00:00
transition
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Offering 'employment' on EF...

Quote:
View Post
Regardless of their forum status, I think people deserve the right to know - especially on the thread in question. Just like if a seller in the FOR SALE section is dishonest or pricing their items unreasonably high, they deserve to be outed. It will really save people alot of unnecessary stress.

I responded to one of the ads some time back, for part time work - thought I could put my billingual skills into good use but I didnt get a good feeling when I spoke to the creator of the ad. He kept putting me on hold to pick up other calls - not just once, but loads of times. Most unprofessional. Later found out that a fellow EFer did the job and has yet been paid for it.

I am sorry that you are getting blind leads so far. Hang in there.
Oh God not him again, I think I know who you mean... ..does he have an awful (false) US accent by any chance?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 17.02.2011, 00:03
Joey82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Belgium, formerly Frick AG
Posts: 1,703
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,414 Times in 795 Posts
Joey82 has a reputation beyond reputeJoey82 has a reputation beyond reputeJoey82 has a reputation beyond reputeJoey82 has a reputation beyond reputeJoey82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Offering 'employment' on EF...

So long story short, don't accept any work offers posted on EF?

It does have one or 2 people that are serious about offering jobs but they are indeed slim pickings.

Not sure why posting it here, i'm on EF not to look for work, but to expand my social life..

Next time that builder is online , let me know, wanna have some fun with him
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 17.02.2011, 00:39
transition
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Offering 'employment' on EF...

Quote:
View Post
So long story short, don't accept any work offers posted on EF?

It does have one or 2 people that are serious about offering jobs but they are indeed slim pickings.

Not sure why posting it here, i'm on EF not to look for work, but to expand my social life..

Next time that builder is online , let me know, wanna have some fun with him
I'm not sure you are right there & think many people on here have found good work/jobs through EF, it's kind of like word-of-mouth & I know has helped many who were looking & had used up a lot of the conventional methods of seeking employment.
I was actually talking about friends instead of me, I may be interested in the odd thing but as I have said, I'm self-employed.. ..though that may change soon, I am still lucky to have plenty of work.
It's the people I know who I worry about, some are already under pressure & to be messed about is the last thing they need.

I found lately that some members (mostly quite new) are generally not taking this forum as seriously as they should regarding the market place.

Last edited by transition; 17.02.2011 at 00:49.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 17.02.2011, 08:22
Glendyn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ZH. Horgen area
Posts: 774
Groaned at 10 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 933 Times in 385 Posts
Glendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Offering 'employment' on EF...

Well done for checking up, but to be of use something more than a (understandable) rant is needed.
So either they need to be named, or you tell a Mod/report the posts who can
fire a warning email/PM or two in their direction, and possibly delete the threads/ban if it is necessary.
Otherwise people who need a job will not know which ones are genuine or not.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 17.02.2011, 08:25
ximix's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK (formerly Zurich)
Posts: 2,098
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,179 Posts
ximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Offering 'employment' on EF...

Quote:
View Post
I'm not sure you are right there & think many people on here have found good work/jobs through EF, it's kind of like word-of-mouth & I know has helped many who were looking & had used up a lot of the conventional methods of seeking employment. ...
I agree. This is definitely one of the more positive characteristics of the forum and of being a member.

Quote:
View Post
I found lately that some members (mostly quite new) are generally not taking this forum as seriously as they should regarding the market place.
I would also add to that not just the market place but use of the forum overall, such as repeatedly seeking information (which is all well and good) but not giving back by contributing so that others may in turn benefit from their knowledge and experiences. One recent example has even gone as far as being downright disrespectful towards anyone who has - for want of better terminology - been unmoved by his/her most recent information request and responded as such.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ximix for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 17.02.2011, 08:36
transition
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Offering 'employment' on EF...

Quote:
View Post
Well done for checking up, but to be of use something more than a (understandable) rant is needed.
So either they need to be named, or you tell a Mod/report the posts who can
fire a warning email/PM or two in their direction, and possibly delete the threads/ban if it is necessary.
Otherwise people who need a job will not know which ones are genuine or not.
Yes I agree about that but if it has served as a purpose that members do feel that their complaints will make a difference (there have been a few who have complained on the actual offending thread which is a good warning) then maybe this is enough.

Sometimes the process for those chancers offerering jobs can take a while to be found out so I see it as a problem that can be solved by forum members speaking up as soon as they sniff something fishy. After all, it is free for them to advertise so you will always get some who exploit others for no cost.

Mod opinion would be interesting
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 17.02.2011, 09:02
dino's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,631
Groaned at 31 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,279 Times in 628 Posts
dino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Offering 'employment' on EF...

Quote:
View Post
"Thread Starter?????" ... You told me the actual job title for your vacancy was ..'Thread initiation executive'
That's only after you've been to the TIT though (Thread Initiation Training, of course).
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 17.02.2011, 09:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Offering 'employment' on EF...

If you see a dodgy job offer, feel free to post a reply on the job thread in question saying why you think it's dodgy.

I don't think it's up to moderators to police and remove dodgy job ads though. It is up to the jobseeker to be aware and apply common sense.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 17.02.2011, 09:55
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,755
Groaned at 419 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 18,256 Times in 5,655 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Offering 'employment' on EF...

Quote:
View Post
If you see a dodgy job offer, feel free to post a reply on the job thread in question saying why you think it's dodgy.

I don't think it's up to moderators to police and remove dodgy job ads though. It is up to the jobseeker to be aware and apply common sense.
Reminds me of hotel reviews on tripadvisor. Not a bad idea.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Self Employment - for non EU Anton Business & entrepreneur 5 07.04.2010 22:26
Self employment Good to Great Business & entrepreneur 6 29.10.2007 19:17
Looking for Employment adiros Employment 1 09.10.2007 23:28
employment anindita dattachoudhury Employment 4 11.04.2007 17:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0