English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Forum support (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum-support/)
-   -   A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities" (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum-support/109101-question-those-who-would-report-ef-authorities.html)

Guest 18.03.2011 15:58

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
So this whole threat to bring the authority of the law down upon the English Forum is just because a couple of you have a personal dislike for one of the moderators. Have I got that right? :confused:

adrianlondon 18.03.2011 16:00

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster (Post 1140365)
If the person you are complaining about is the person you are complaining to, the system does not work.

There are other mods.

mimi1981 18.03.2011 16:01

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster (Post 1140365)
Right, have I now sufficiently brought home the fact that "irony" as an excuse for pretty much anything and especially inappropriate comments simply doesn't work? Yes, the phone call I made was to a person who deals with such things but it was more about the situation with economisto who has also privately said things to me that belong in the same "Swiss-hatred" group and to check I can theoretically pin him down as he is posting from a Swiss IP address. I did not mention the website, so don't worry, kittens, your playpen is safe.

To say that someone is a bit thick or has no sense of humour when you are not joking is pretty low. And I am sure economisto is not joking, because I can add another dozen statements to the ones CHexo posted AND the private messages to the bunch. If this is joking, I'd hate to think what "serious" looks like.

And for the record - I didn't vote on the minarets, because I feel that religious issues should not be an integral part of the state's doings. Apart from the bit with the holidays, we can keep those.

What do I want? Economisto should not be a mod because if the person you are complaining about is the person you are complaining to, the system does not work. Like I said - who moderates the moderators?

Hey Kittster,

I like your posts and understand you are answering a question that DB has posted but I do wonder if personal issues with mods or other members should be posted publicly. I feel this would be better handled offline and maybe addressed to another mod and EditorBob if you want to take this further. None of us are in posession of all the facts except those involved directly and I think having it open on EF as a thread is just asking for bad feelings to generate.

I also think Economisto should not be posting personally about you or any other member. Naming names and public arguments are going to quickly get out of hand. Mods, don't you think it is time to stop this now, close this thread and monitor for anymore that appear?

Who knows, maybe i'm wrong :confused:

Guest 18.03.2011 16:03

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHexo (Post 1140337)
He's a flamer, not a moderator!

Where I come for, this is what we consider a flamer:


http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...1qbquJrZnuf72A

Phil_MCR 18.03.2011 16:03

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mimi1981 (Post 1140378)
I also think Economisto should not be posting personally about you or any other member. Naming names and public arguments are going to quickly get out of hand. Mods, don't you think it is time to stop this now, close this thread and monitor for anymore that appear?

where has economisto posted personally against Kittster. if anything, it seems that other posters are directing attacks personally against economisto.

Nil 18.03.2011 16:04

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster (Post 1140365)
And for the record - I didn't vote on the minarets, because I feel that religious issues should not be an integral part of the state's doings. Apart from the bit with the holidays, we can keep those.

Since you didn't vote, people don't have to feel offended anymore? Now I feel better,

Carry on!

Guest 18.03.2011 16:05

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

So this whole threat to bring the authority of the law down upon the English Forum is just because a couple of you have a personal dislike for one of the moderators. Have I got that right? :confused:

Not really. There is an objective legal standard. The question is whether or not it has been crossed.

Kittster 18.03.2011 16:05

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

So this whole threat to bring the authority of the law down upon the English Forum is just because a couple of you have a personal dislike for one of the moderators. Have I got that right? :confused:
Disappointing, DB, that you are now ALSO lumping everyone into the same group - read through the who said what again and you'll see what I mean. Like I said, I decided to have my own little foray into irony, hyperbole and all that, but it seems that you have to have been born on British soil to be allowed to do that without everyone going bonkers. I lived in England several years and half my family is from there, so even if my autistic (rather than Swiss) nature makes it hard for me to be ever so clever in social interactions, I still know what irony and sarcasm smells like as opposed to being properly offensive.

Phil_MCR 18.03.2011 16:06

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster (Post 1140365)
And I am sure economisto is not joking, because I can add another dozen statements to the ones CHexo posted AND the private messages to the bunch.

please do. i didn't see the original quotes from CHexo. so i'm not sure if they were taken out of context.

Upthehatters2008 18.03.2011 16:08

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster (Post 1140365)
What do I want? Economisto should not be a mod because if the person you are complaining about is the person you are complaining to, the system does not work. Like I said - who moderates the moderators?

Hmmm, In all cases , the first port of call should be a discussion with the person involved, if only to clear up any misunderstandings, and attempt to make peace. This is true of commerce and friendship, love and war.

Sadly, all this has taken place in written form, where tone and intent are wholly ambiguous and selectively interpreted.

To me, there is obvious grievance with ambiguous text, but I believe intent was never present, so malicious and insulting should not come into play or thought of the recipient. Those actions are by design. I do not believe design is present enough to harvest these feelings in you Kittster.

I think Economisto deserves a break, as a new Mod, the pressures must be quite intense. I think perhaps a private apology either way would go a million miles, if not for the intent , but for the unintended result of either parties actions.

Traubert 18.03.2011 16:09

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

-I've never used the "ignore" function - it seems terribly pathetic. Is it commonly used? Also, @Cherry, most of the things in this thread are true, and the language of Switzerland isn't German, it's Orc-German.

-"This culture" you say. Where? Point to it please. Asking an Englishman to adapt to the culture and manners of the Swiss is asking him to adopt an unacceptable handicap.

-What is a "Swiss manners"? There is only English manners or scruffy derivatives. Give a hillperson a pile of gold, incubate 100 years, and this is what you get. Delusions of civility.

-More helpful: is being Swiss something you can forget?
These are brilliant! Thanks for compiling. I had no idea Economisto was so funny.

These comments might be acerbic, but to go through all this content, index them and claim them to be incitement and inflammatory is rather odd.

Call the police, call the army and let them flail the flesh from his bones with their pocket knives, then call the Waaambulance

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...b9O561iUDw&t=1

Make tea people, not love.

Nil 18.03.2011 16:10

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mimi1981 (Post 1140378)
Hey Kittster,

I like your posts and understand you are answering a question that DB has posted but I do wonder if personal issues with mods or other members should be posted publicly. I feel this would be better handled offline and maybe addressed to another mod and EditorBob if you want to take this further. None of us are in posession of all the facts except those involved directly and I think having it open on EF as a thread is just asking for bad feelings to generate.

I also think Economisto should not be posting personally about you or any other member. Naming names and public arguments are going to quickly get out of hand. Mods, don't you think it is time to stop this now, close this thread and monitor for anymore that appear?

Who knows, maybe i'm wrong :confused:

Closing the thread? Why? So people can't post their opinions? She is explaining herself and other people should be able to do it too. It is the main topic after all..... Opinions!

daboy 18.03.2011 16:10

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster (Post 1140365)

And for the record - I didn't vote on the minarets, because I feel that religious issues should not be an integral part of the state's doings. Apart from the bit with the holidays, we can keep those.

What do you mean by that? You didn't vote on the issue? If so, wouldn't that make you an ironic representative of anti swiss rhetoric? If you meant that you voted against the measure then good for you, even though existing zoning laws give enough discretion for the government to systematically shoot down any new proposed minarets anyway (making the referendum pointless, damaging, and unnecessarily embarrassing for the Swiss).

Guest 18.03.2011 16:11

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Seriously now....

It sounds like someone or many got seriously offended. No need to question whether or not the perceived offense was intended, real or worthy to be called an offense. A simply remedy is an apology, implying it would not happen again.

Isn't this the adult thing to do amongst adults? Or is this too much to expect from EF?

mirfield 18.03.2011 16:16

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster (Post 1140365)
What do I want? Economisto should not be a mod

Has EF suddenly become a democracy?

Then my vote is for him to stay.

I'd rather have "one of the people" who makes mistakes, than somebody we never see until they lay down the law, Dredd style.

MathNut 18.03.2011 16:16

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster (Post 1140365)
To say that someone is a bit thick or has no sense of humour when you are not joking is pretty low. And I am sure economisto is not joking, because I can add another dozen statements to the ones CHexo posted AND the private messages to the bunch. If this is joking, I'd hate to think what "serious" looks like.

Well, can't help you there - but it is joking. I'd have put money - would still put money - that every single one of the remarks CHexo quoted was intended to raise a smile, not to be taken completely seriously. I should know because I'm married to someone whose sense of humor is quite similar and who frequently indulges in similar jokes. (FWIW it's not even specific to Switzerland: replace Swiss with American, Italian, anything you like but especially French - and the jokes are virtually the same. It's only Switzerland because we're in Switzerland.)

Repetition proves nothing either. I have been called a 'half-savage colonial' (almost) more times than I can count - solemnly, without so much as a twinkle in the eye, but as a joke nonetheless. (Of course I wouldn't expect an acknowledgment of that, ever, as it would give away the joke. It's true all the same.)

Perhaps you don't find them at all funny (note that I'm NOT saying you don't have a sense of humor - I know better! - just that yours is different) and that's fair enough - not every joke reaches every audience - but to claim that because something isn't funny to you it CANNOT BE A JOKE is a bit... hasty, isn't it?

Nil 18.03.2011 16:18

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phos (Post 1140404)
Seriously now....

It sounds like someone or many got seriously offended. No need to question whether or not the perceived offense was intended, real or worthy to be called an offense. A simply remedy is an apology, implying it would not happen again.

Isn't this the adult thing to do amongst adults? Or is this too much to expect from EF?

This is ridiculous! Everyone, every group got into the bashing light on this forum! Did any of those group members got an apology everytime someone passed an opinion? The Americans? The Frenchs? The Germans? The Canadians? The Muslims? The Albanians? The Turks?

If so I, personnally would have receive apologies for 4 of those groups...

My concerns are not those. My concerns are when someone instead to bring an issue to the forum members, mods or owners bring that issue to authorities... A big huge WTF?

18.03.2011 16:19

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phos (Post 1140404)
Seriously now....

It sounds like someone or many got seriously offended. No need to question whether or not the perceived offense was intended, real or worthy to be called an offense. A simply remedy is an apology, implying it would not happen again.

Isn't this the adult thing to do amongst adults? Or is this too much to expect from EF?

I am truly sorry if I offended Kittster or anyone else. That was not my intention. I apologise. Offence is never good. However acerbic cultural commentary of a very similar level to anything I write happens in all public media both in Switzerland and around the world. It too offends many people. One can only look at the perfectly legal SVP posters to know how far one may go in this fine and liberal country without being in breach of the law.

In summary I would like to say three things:

1. I never meant to cause offence.
2. It will happen again.
3. If you're looking to go through the courts, all I can say is bring it.

Guest 18.03.2011 16:20

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster (Post 1140365)
What do I want? Economisto should not be a mod because if the person you are complaining about is the person you are complaining to, the system does not work. Like I said - who moderates the moderators?

We the people.

I didn't see the thread, so can't really judge, but Economisto is not a bad mod. He might have made some mistakes, ordered a bad drink, or ate a twinkie; but surely you can allow up to 2 strikes, no?

summerrain 18.03.2011 16:20

Re: A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MathNut (Post 1140413)
I have been called a 'half-savage colonial' (almost) more times than I can count - solemnly, without so much as a twinkle in the eye, but as a joke nonetheless. (Of course I wouldn't expect an acknowledgment of that, ever, as it would give away the joke. It's true all the same.)

You'll find that a week of sleeping on the floor, hard labour (make his own tea, scrub the toilets, hoovering), suspension of other marital rights should lessen those incidents.

Repeat if necessary. ;)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:58.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0