Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Support > Support > Forum support  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.04.2011, 16:35
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
General Off-Topic Rant

Hey you and Mods,

I don't get this Off-Topic mania right now. The English Forum is for expats who can speak english in Switzerland, right?

It is not a forum about Switzerland where people can speak in english.

Yes it is to help people to settle down here in Switzerland but honestly to put every freaking thread that are not directly connected to the life in Switzerland in Off-Topic is very sad.

In a year or so, all those very useful threads in there that help people here in the expat community to settle as expats but also in a daily life (yeah, even in Switzerland) of being a human being, will disappear.

Off-Topic is not a trash folder for everything that doesn't have a Switzerland stamp on it. It never been that way and all of a sudden, someone decided to just put everything who doesn't have the Made in Switzerland stamp in there. In a year from now, those topic won't be there anymore and it will be a big waste of precious information for all who hardly contribute in them.

Big waste IMHO.
The following 2 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 14.04.2011, 16:39
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,052
Groaned at 649 Times in 502 Posts
Thanked 25,845 Times in 10,416 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Quote:
View Post
Hey you and Mods,

I don't get this Off-Topic mania right now. The English Forum is for expats who can speak english in Switzerland, right?

It is not a forum about Switzerland where people can speak in english.

.
Haven't you got this the wrong way round?

If I want a question answered on gardening, I'll go to a gardening forum, not here. That's where the expertise will lie.
Same goes for anything else off-topic.

If I want a question about growing a particular plant in the Swiss climate, I'll ask here for that's where I'll get the relevant experience that's useful to me.

That's my take on it anyway.
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 14.04.2011, 16:46
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

It's an interesting discussion. I know what this forum was started for, but things evolve. If DB is having an issue with a friend in England being a Liverpool supporter, is it irrelevant to Switzerland specifically and therefore off topic or is it relevant to us and the forum for the mere fact that it is DB and he lives in Switzerland and he's part of this forum/community. Hmm. I dunno.
  #4  
Old 14.04.2011, 16:47
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Quote:
View Post
Haven't you got this the wrong way round?

If I want a question answered on gardening, I'll go to a gardening forum, not here. That's where the expertise will lie.
Same goes for anything else off-topic.

If I want a question about growing a particular plant in the Swiss climate, I'll ask here for that's where I'll get the relevant experience that's useful to me.

That's my take on it anyway.
If I want information about FAMILY MATTER on the forum,

I'll go here:

Family matters/health (26 Viewing)
Birth, death, marriage, divorce, school, doctors and medical advice, dentists, etc.

EDIT: Or change the purpose of the forum and instead make it like this:

Family matters/health (26 Viewing)
Birth In Ch, death in CH, marriage in CH, divorce in Ch, school in CH, doctors in CH and medical advice that happen pnly in CH, dentists, etc. related to Switzerland.
  #5  
Old 14.04.2011, 16:51
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,415
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 10,952 Times in 3,253 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Off Topic threads don't disappear after a year though. (Do they? )

They used to be non-indexed by Google - which made sense, as we want EF to be the top result when people are searching for information on Switzerland, not general "should I dump him?" questions, Youtube of the Day, Israel/Palestine, etc.

That's changed a few months ago, and Off Topic threads are now Googleable along with the rest. They never had an expiration date on them though and I don't anticipate that they ever will.
The following 4 users would like to thank MathNut for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 14.04.2011, 16:54
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Exemples of things that are not directly related to Switzerland but are still in the Family Matter section:

High risk pregnancy and cerclage

Interesting new approach to treating multiple sclerosis (MS)

Cute things kids say

http://www.englishforum.ch/family-ma...istamines.html

Natural Allergy Reduction Tips for Pregnancy

I can go on and on like that.

So what makes a thread fitting in there and an other one not? Random? Poll? How one's feel?
The following 2 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 14.04.2011, 16:56
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,052
Groaned at 649 Times in 502 Posts
Thanked 25,845 Times in 10,416 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Quote:
View Post
If I want information about FAMILY MATTER on the forum,

I'll go here:

Family matters/health (26 Viewing)
Birth, death, marriage, divorce, school, doctors and medical advice, dentists, etc.

EDIT: Or change the purpose of the forum and instead make it like this:

Family matters/health (26 Viewing)
Birth In Ch, death in CH, marriage in CH, divorce in Ch, school in CH, doctors in CH and medical advice that happen pnly in CH, dentists, etc. related to Switzerland.
Perhaps you're right. There used to be guidelines for each sub-forum which said things like, "Only post about Internet/TV etc relevant to Switzerland. Anything else about computers etc do not belong on EF".

I don't see these guidelines any more so maybe it is a free-for-all now.

Perhaps a moderator can enlighten us?
  #8  
Old 14.04.2011, 16:56
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Quote:
View Post
Off Topic threads don't disappear after a year though. (Do they? )

They used to be non-indexed by Google - which made sense, as we want EF to be the top result when people are searching for information on Switzerland, not general "should I dump him?" questions, Youtube of the Day, Israel/Palestine, etc.

That's changed a few months ago, and Off Topic threads are now Googleable along with the rest. They never had an expiration date on them though and I don't anticipate that they ever will.
Thanks for this clarification Honey,

Now if someone could make a real man out of the research fonction, we might not need to have to go on Google to find something on the forum...
  #9  
Old 14.04.2011, 16:59
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Welcome to English Forum Switzerland, the English-language community website for Switzerland. We have over 60,000 English-speaking members.

I interpret this Forum is about Switzerland, using the English language.

Which posts in the off topics shoudn't be there? I have looked and none of them look as though they are out of place. I suppose we could re-name it "junk" and nothing would change.
  #10  
Old 14.04.2011, 17:06
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,415
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 10,952 Times in 3,253 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for this clarification Honey,

Now if someone could make a real man out of the research fonction, we might not need to have to go on Google to find something on the forum...
Well, I wouldn't share this link with just anybody... more'n my job's worth, you know... but specially for you, Nil...
  #11  
Old 14.04.2011, 17:09
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Quote:
View Post
Welcome to English Forum Switzerland, the English-language community website for Switzerland. We have over 60,000 English-speaking members.

I interpret this Forum is about Switzerland, using the English language.

Which posts in the off topics shoudn't be there? I have looked and none of them look as though they are out of place. I suppose we could re-name it "junk" and nothing would change.
Shouldn't it be Welcome to English Forum Switzerland, the English-language community website for about Switzerland. We have over 60,000 English-speaking members.

I feel the same way as Nil, I had my engagement ring thread moved to off topic. I thought that was ideal fodder for "Family Matters" ....(Births/Deaths/Marriages)
The following 4 users would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 14.04.2011, 17:15
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Quote:
View Post
I feel the same way as Nil, I had my engagement ring thread moved to off topic. I thought that was ideal fodder for "Family Matters" ....(Births/Deaths/Marriages)
I gave up on the whole idea a while ago and just put my threads in off topic
The following 2 users would like to thank Ouchboy for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 14.04.2011, 17:17
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,052
Groaned at 649 Times in 502 Posts
Thanked 25,845 Times in 10,416 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Quote:
View Post
It's an interesting discussion. I know what this forum was started for, but things evolve. If DB is having an issue with a friend in England being a Liverpool supporter, is it irrelevant to Switzerland specifically and therefore off topic or is it relevant to us and the forum for the mere fact that it is DB and he lives in Switzerland and he's part of this forum/community. Hmm. I dunno.
Evolution is normally an improvement.
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 14.04.2011, 17:17
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Quote:
View Post
I gave up on the whole idea a while ago and just put my threads in off topic
Keep the Forum clean and tidy another way - can't we just move certain posters to off-topic by default ?
  #15  
Old 14.04.2011, 17:19
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Quote:
View Post
Shouldn't it be Welcome to English Forum Switzerland, the English-language community website for about Switzerland. We have over 60,000 English-speaking members.

I feel the same way as Nil, I had my engagement ring thread moved to off topic. I thought that was ideal fodder for "Family Matters" ....(Births/Deaths/Marriages)
Maybe, but on the Home page, that quote in blue is at the top. Which to me sets out the style of the way things will be.
  #16  
Old 14.04.2011, 17:23
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Quote:
View Post
Keep the Forum clean and tidy another way - can't we just move certain posters to off-topic by default ?

If they do I propose myself for the Off-Topic Generalisimo Ouchboy
  #17  
Old 14.04.2011, 17:24
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Quote:
View Post
If they do I propose myself for the Off-Topic Generalisimo Ouchboy
Moderator of all things trash... I admire your aspirations
This user would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 14.04.2011, 17:26
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Quote:
View Post
Moderator of all things trash... I admire your aspirations
No point having diluted dreams of grandeur.
  #19  
Old 14.04.2011, 17:31
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,729
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,942 Times in 3,654 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Quote:
View Post
It is not a forum about Switzerland where people can speak in english.
Isn't it? When did you change that? Was there a vote?

Quote:
View Post
Off-Topic is not a trash folder for everything that doesn't have a Switzerland stamp on it.
Isn't it? When did you change that? Was there a vote?

Name:  ot.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  7.3 KB

The proper meaning of "the exception that proves the rule".



P.S. JL-P take note. Nil's is a much better rant.
  #20  
Old 14.04.2011, 17:32
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Off-Topic Rant

Quote:
View Post
Well, I wouldn't share this link with just anybody... more'n my job's worth, you know... but specially for you, Nil...
Ha ha.

If that thing was doing 1/4 of a good job when it comes to find something, I'll agree but since I tried it a lot, believe me, Google still do it better.
Closed Thread

Tags
dramaqueen, girlpower, grouphug, happydelivery




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Warning! Off topic Rant in 3...2....1.... Ouchboy Complaints corner 99 13.11.2011 14:58
Daily Mail/General Tabloid Rant morrigana Complaints corner 0 03.12.2010 13:05
Is Switzerland/Zurich going downhill? (general rant) jamaicanRUM Complaints corner 114 05.10.2007 16:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0