Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Support > Support > Forum support  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 13.10.2011, 16:24
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

I think the desire to not promote other forums here is not really high school..

If I can offer the perspective of keeping an eye on the usual freeloaders that parasite here and try every minute here, it makes more sense..Not from biz model, really, since providing a good service sometimes means offering info on competitors, sure.

But more from community based angle, letting the links/names linger here in my opinion can really harm the fiber here, that can become looser. The community less cohesive, less tight.

One of the great things about EF is that it is so big, it can offer info on so many little corners of this country and can offer members all over to organize themselves in social events, or help, should they need it, because the active nearby member base is thick. Allowing it to drop makes no sense. Sending members to other virtual places is probably counterproductive. And I know since I am the only mod in Suisse Romandie with not so high head count, while everyone else is in the expat heavens of Suisse Allemand. I have watched our base ever so slowly pick up, shy, but going pretty well, the reason also being a competing social network, which does not offer the survival info. Why send our nice members to other virtual communities, that are a lot more aggressive in their member "scouting". And that, in fact, have guts to advertise even here, while they publicly criticize our platform..

Well, well. Nobody is perfect, who said we mods are untouchable. EF has never been a perfect place, but even in fluky times like these, it's nice to see our members alert, either way.

I know. HTFU and all that.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
The following 4 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #182  
Old 13.10.2011, 16:37
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,553
Groaned at 164 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
View Post
Probably right. But if those who leave are part of the talkative minority and those who join are part of the quiet majority you end up hearing the sound of silence. it's not a matter of numbers.
Ahh, sweet sweet signal to noise ratio. It could be a blessing in disguise.

Quote:
The problems with EF lie entirely within EF and cannot be laid at the door of other forums, offline squabbles or anything else.

And, as always, they'll blow over like they always do.

I can't see any big changes to the EF happening any time soon, but I've now got somewhere else I can go for restaurant recommendations if I can't be bothered trawling through 15 pages of LOLcats to find them.
It serves no purpose complaining about EF - which is the users which create EF and thus you're complaining about it's members - and then having exactly the same people carrying on in exactly the same manner which annoys you so in a new sandpit. Good luck in keeping that bar of informative posts on life in Switzerland above the drivel you complain about. So far it's all that's posted amid the identithread posts from EF on that site. Have a Llama, or something.

(Apologies for not having read all this thread. I don't do teh drama)

Too much "What's in it for me?" rather than "What I can do for my country..." IMO.
__________________
Wave ¦ Synthpop ¦ 80's ¦ Alternative ¦ Party ¦ Sat 24.03 Provitreff Zurich
The following 3 users would like to thank Uncle Max for this useful post:
  #183  
Old 13.10.2011, 16:48
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
View Post
so whats the other forum then??


edit.... have been informed.
Could you possibly inform me by PM?
  #184  
Old 13.10.2011, 16:48
Golfprostew's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Egg
Posts: 264
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 182 Times in 100 Posts
Golfprostew has earned the respect of manyGolfprostew has earned the respect of manyGolfprostew has earned the respect of many
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Just came in from a hard days graft only to be hit with this bombshell.

Having trauled through 10 pages of waffle I still can't find 'the other forum' or even this 3rd one of which you speak. If anyone cares to email or PM me I would be most grateful.

Proof at least that I haven't been poached.

Fairwell economisto, and thanks for the tea bags.

GPS
  #185  
Old 13.10.2011, 16:51
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
View Post
I think the desire to not promote other forums here is not really high school..

If I can offer the perspective of keeping an eye on the usual freeloaders that parasite here and try every minute here, it makes more sense..Not from biz model, really, since providing a good service sometimes means offering info on competitors, sure.

But more from community based angle, letting the links/names linger here in my opinion can really harm the fiber here, that can become looser. The community less cohesive, less tight.

One of the great things about EF is that it is so big, it can offer info on so many little corners of this country and can offer members all over to organize themselves in social events, or help, should they need it, because the active nearby member base is thick. Allowing it to drop makes no sense. Sending members to other virtual places is probably counterproductive. And I know since I am the only mod in Suisse Romandie with not so high head count, while everyone else is in the expat heavens of Suisse Allemand. I have watched our base ever so slowly pick up, shy, but going pretty well, the reason also being a competing social network, which does not offer the survival info. Why send our nice members to other virtual communities, that are a lot more aggressive in their member "scouting". And that, in fact, have guts to advertise even here, while they publicly criticize our platform..

Well, well. Nobody is perfect, who said we mods are untouchable. EF has never been a perfect place, but even in fluky times like these, it's nice to see our members alert, either way.

I know. HTFU and all that.
Most other forums are not a proprietorial TBH - they allow individuals to promote sites, aligned sites, special interest groups etc. It's how the internet functions.

But when the business takes over, and controlling takes an interest then it becomes a monopoly for self interest.
Expect much tighter modding / posting content rules ...
  #186  
Old 13.10.2011, 16:55
swissotter's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,307
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,439 Times in 1,412 Posts
swissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
View Post
That is absolute bollocks. We had no influence in the matter - it was a private transaction between the then owners and the new owners.
i was actually questioning that too, thanks SB
  #187  
Old 13.10.2011, 16:58
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,946
Groaned at 294 Times in 198 Posts
Thanked 18,997 Times in 7,991 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
View Post
Most other forums are not a proprietorial TBH - they allow individuals to promote sites, aligned sites, special interest groups etc. It's how the internet functions.

But when the business takes over, and controlling takes an interest then it becomes a monopoly for self interest.
Expect much tighter modding / posting content rules ...
i've seen the rule before in other forums.

personally, i think that if a forum has a good offering/service, then it shouldn't have anything to fear from a rival one.

for those who haven't yet got the URL/invite: http://tinyurl.com/2g9mqh
The following 2 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #188  
Old 13.10.2011, 17:00
Golfprostew's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Egg
Posts: 264
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 182 Times in 100 Posts
Golfprostew has earned the respect of manyGolfprostew has earned the respect of manyGolfprostew has earned the respect of many
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
View Post
Just came in from a hard days graft only to be hit with this bombshell.

Having trauled through 10 pages of waffle I still can't find 'the other forum' or even this 3rd one of which you speak. If anyone cares to email or PM me I would be most grateful.

Proof at least that I haven't been poached.

Fairwell economisto, and thanks for the tea bags.

GPS

OK now informed thanks no more PMs please!
  #189  
Old 13.10.2011, 17:08
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
View Post
But when the business takes over, and controlling takes an interest then it becomes a monopoly for self interest.
Expect much tighter modding / posting content rules ...
And modding here has actually loosened up, it seems to me, ever since beginning of 2008 when I joined. The rules were stricter, the banter and noise was hushed..

EF is not afraid of competition, me thinks, it does not need to be thanks to years of TLC. But I find hanging out on the EF premises while advertising other forum a tad unethical, same with direct criticism of admin while throwing hints about other "pastures". It's probably fun, ganging up is human nature. But, please, at least use other places for this.

Last edited by MusicChick; 13.10.2011 at 17:32.
The following 3 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #190  
Old 13.10.2011, 17:15
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
View Post


EF is not afraid of competition, me thinks, it does not need to be thanks to years of TLC. But I find hanging out on the EF premises while advertising other forum a tad unethical, same with direct criticism of admin while throwing hints about other "patures". It's probably fun, ganging up is human nature. But, please, at least use other places for this.
I have done none of the above - please post this reply to someone who has ....
  #191  
Old 13.10.2011, 17:18
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
View Post
And modding here has actually loosened up, it seems to me, ever since beginning of 2008 when I joined. The rules were stricter, the banter and noise was hushed..
Maybe, reading catalyst posts, it seems that trolls were trialed by fire, so who knows I cannot assess that. I can only asses the increasing quantity of spam and thread reallcation reports that I have to do. And I can also fairly say that a large amount was swiftly done by economisto.

The rules could be stircter in the proportion that Mods clearly state on the thread to stop the banter and cut/move to another thread b-plot discussions.

If someone is mostly commenting on putting work hours while bumping events , they shouldn't expect much respect from members who are here daily, they can more or less see who is caring for the forum and who isn't.

Quote:
View Post
. But I find hanging out on the EF premises while advertising other forum a tad unethical, same with direct criticism of admin while throwing hints about other "patures". It's probably fun, ganging up is human nature. But, please, at least use other places for this.
It's a gray area i think so to. However, the current advertising of the site seems to be more by the curiosity generated by the announcement than by people saying " F this, im going to this other place @ www.somesite.cheeseland

No, this is not aimed at MC, i just needed to reply
__________________
"Curses are like young chicken: they always come home to roost."

Last edited by Ouchboy; 13.10.2011 at 17:28. Reason: lolcat speech impediment
The following 2 users would like to thank Ouchboy for this useful post:
  #192  
Old 13.10.2011, 17:26
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
View Post
I have done none of the above - please post this reply to someone who has ....
I am not saying you did, hence the split paragraphs.

But I do want to mention why using this platform as it happened past few days to advertise other social networks, while simultaneously criticizing the same platform that is being used, is hypocritical. I am not worried about financial repercussions to EF, it seems to be established so much, it allows pretty coherent mod moves, occasional bans and other traffic counterproductive moves. Should EF been only about traffic and cash, it would be free for all, n'est pas? Zero structure. I just see the splitting efforts as anti community moves, that's all.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
The following 2 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #193  
Old 13.10.2011, 17:36
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,729
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,942 Times in 3,654 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
View Post
But I do want to mention why using this platform as it happened past few days to advertise other social networks, while simultaneously criticizing the same platform that is being used, is hypocritical.
TBF, I've not seen any advertising for sites before Bob brought upthe fact that there was one and there was a cascade of "Where's that?" posts.

I was only aware that there was another site becasue of a passing comment on StC and later there was a post on Facebook.

I'm not disagreeing with you, by the way. I agree that would be bad manners to promote a rival site on here.

Whether, personally, I'd ban passing mentions is slightly more grey.
The following 4 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #194  
Old 13.10.2011, 17:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
View Post
Too much "What's in it for me?" rather than "What I can do for my country..." IMO.
Yup.

It's a market place. We're consumers.

I don't understand how the existence of other shops on the street upsets people so much. There's been a shop next door for the last three years and EF carried on perfectly well alongside it.

The internet's a big place, and there's room for all of us, surely?
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #195  
Old 13.10.2011, 17:58
mimi1981's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London, previously Basel
Posts: 3,773
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,173 Posts
mimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
View Post
i've seen the rule before in other forums.

personally, i think that if a forum has a good offering/service, then it shouldn't have anything to fear from a rival one.

for those who haven't yet got the URL/invite: http://tinyurl.com/2g9mqh
Well if things couldn't get worse, I've now discovered my daughter is a Rick Astley fan
The following 8 users would like to thank mimi1981 for this useful post:
  #196  
Old 13.10.2011, 17:58
tearley's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne (Vaud)
Posts: 428
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 409 Times in 190 Posts
tearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputation
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

I don't think that it's hypocritical as much as it is free speech. The right to criticize and promote alternatives is a cornerstone principle of democracies, no? The whole "he who shall not be named" business (aka, "the other forum") is an attitude that I associate with totalitarian regimes, not the sort of democratic places that I like to hang.

What are the alternatives for those who dissent (besides voting with their feet and proposing an alternative)? Complain and complain and be ignored? Because that's what is going on.

Quote:
View Post
I am not saying you did, hence the split paragraphs.

But I do want to mention why using this platform as it happened past few days to advertise other social networks, while simultaneously criticizing the same platform that is being used, is hypocritical. I am not worried about financial repercussions to EF, it seems to be established so much, it allows pretty coherent mod moves, occasional bans and other traffic counterproductive moves. Should EF been only about traffic and cash, it would be free for all, n'est pas? Zero structure. I just see the splitting efforts as anti community moves, that's all.
  #197  
Old 13.10.2011, 18:03
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,513
Groaned at 99 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,274 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
Yup.

It's a market place. We're consumers.

I don't understand how the existence of other shops on the street upsets people so much. There's been a shop next door for the last three years and EF carried on perfectly well alongside it.

The internet's a big place, and there's room for all of us, surely?
not sure if I agree. split forums lead to them all being the poorer for it with a split of posters. forums need some sort of critical mass and constant fresh blood or they die. the recent guardian talk was a good example of this.
  #198  
Old 13.10.2011, 18:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
View Post
not sure if I agree. split forums lead to them all being the poorer for it with a split of posters. forums need some sort of critical mass and constant fresh blood or they die. the recent guardian talk was a good example of this.
Out of this whole drama, precisely one member of EF has quit in favour of the new forum. One.

I don't see the EF losing any critical mass in the near future, do you? It's still overwhelmingly the biggest, most visited English language forum in Switzerland, and is likely to remain so for a long time to come.

And if, for some reason, it does start losing members to the new forums, then that's just the market place in action.

Nothing wrong with that, surely?
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #199  
Old 13.10.2011, 18:10
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,513
Groaned at 99 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,274 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
Out of this whole drama, precisely one member of EF has quit in favour of the new forum. One.

I don't see the EF losing any critical mass in the near future, do you? It's still overwhelmingly the biggest, most visited English language forum in Switzerland, and is likely to remain so for a long time to come.

And if, for some reason, it does start losing members to the new forums, then that's just the market place in action.

Nothing wrong with that, surely?
sorry I wasn't clear, I'm not against choice or "the market place". I've just seen too many breakaway forums fail
The following 2 users would like to thank MidfieldGeneral for this useful post:
  #200  
Old 13.10.2011, 18:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Thread split following economisto's removal

Quote:
View Post
sorry I wasn't clear, I'm not against choice or "the market place". I've just seen too many breakaway forums fail
True, and it's possible that the new forum might fail, too.

It's still worth trying, though.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New MacBook Air [Thread Split] Gastro Gnome TV/internet/telephone 168 25.04.2011 00:27
[Thread split] Financing tertiary education hoppy Family matters/health 11 23.01.2011 18:03
[Thread split] Strange quote format walterguariento Forum support 5 16.04.2010 10:58
(thread split) Thread for sensitive, thin-skinned people to ramble aimlessly higgybaby General off-topic 80 03.11.2009 15:53


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0