Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Support > Support > Forum support
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.10.2011, 10:05
cdcdoc's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fehraltorf / ZH
Posts: 805
Groaned at 31 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 789 Times in 398 Posts
cdcdoc has a reputation beyond reputecdcdoc has a reputation beyond reputecdcdoc has a reputation beyond reputecdcdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

Hi everyone
A guy was trying the other day to sell a mac and a camera and was somehow complaining about what is going on when trying to sell stuff on EF. Even though I do agree that there are sometimes no purpose dumb question, I do not agree that one should jump in and buy something just because it has a good price.
Here is a good example:
I bought almost three weeks ago from from EF member Twirlies this car:
http://www.englishforum.ch/sale-want...05-luzern.html
I admit...a good price even with 7000 and I bought it with 5000. I admit i was dumb enough trusting the guy believing he is in a hurry to sell it and I did not check important things...Never had an EF member cheating or lying...never had a bad experience. BUT still he lied about many things and with what I have to pay, it will go over 7000. I called him an hour after I bought it because driving on the highway I was hearing weird sounds. He said that it is only the bad tires. The next day I went to check everything he said. He lied in pretty much everything. I called for almost a week, send emails, messages...nothing....called his job...nothing. I waited until now because i was hoping that there was some kind of misunderstanding. Just got the mfk invitation which he said it was done.
A good lesson for me...I agree...but Twirlies...be a man and even though you left the country, come out and talk. I really need to know a few things about the car...
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank cdcdoc for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 23.10.2011, 10:14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 484
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 267 Times in 168 Posts
gourmet is considered knowledgeablegourmet is considered knowledgeablegourmet is considered knowledgeable
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I have to say that EF or any other forum is no different to buying from say ebay or Richardo. If there is guarantee, that is good, check out the small print; if not, then you will have to do your homework and check your purchase before handing over money, especially on big ticket item.

As to Seller, it will be good to list as much info as possible to help the sale. Dimension, colour, condition, transport/collection etc along with picture, links to product info as well as price all helps to get an item sold and reduce time-waster.

I have to say, I have pretty good experience on EF so far but I have heard some horror stories as well.

Good luck, someone should be along shortly to let you know what is the legal side of things.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank gourmet for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 23.10.2011, 11:05
drmom's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in SG
Posts: 2,333
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,045 Posts
drmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

I know it is too late, but you really have to take a car to a garage before buying it from a private person. If they won't let you, probably a reason for that and you should probably walk away from the sale.

We had a similar situation years ago when looking for a car for my sister to buy. After we bought it, we then discovered it was a salvaged car. In the end she still has the car 7 years later and there haven't been any problems, but at the time, we felt dumb about it, upon discovering in the US you can look up any car's history and see how many owners there have been, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23.10.2011, 11:15
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 10,925
Groaned at 622 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,458 Times in 5,717 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone
A guy was trying the other day to sell a mac and a camera and was somehow complaining about what is going on when trying to sell stuff on EF. Even though I do agree that there are sometimes no purpose dumb question, I do not agree that one should jump in and buy something just because it has a good price.
Here is a good example:
I bought almost three weeks ago from from EF member Twirlies this car:
http://www.englishforum.ch/sale-want...05-luzern.html
I admit...a good price even with 7000 and I bought it with 5000. I admit i was dumb enough trusting the guy believing he is in a hurry to sell it and I did not check important things...Never had an EF member cheating or lying...never had a bad experience. BUT still he lied about many things and with what I have to pay, it will go over 7000. I called him an hour after I bought it because driving on the highway I was hearing weird sounds. He said that it is only the bad tires. The next day I went to check everything he said. He lied in pretty much everything. I called for almost a week, send emails, messages...nothing....called his job...nothing. I waited until now because i was hoping that there was some kind of misunderstanding. Just got the mfk invitation which he said it was done.
A good lesson for me...I agree...but Twirlies...be a man and even though you left the country, come out and talk. I really need to know a few things about the car...
Shouldn't you have checked all these things beforehand (take it to a mechanic, drive it on the highway etc.)?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 23.10.2011, 11:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,145
Groaned at 226 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 5,099 Times in 2,635 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone
A guy was trying the other day to sell a mac and a camera and was somehow complaining about what is going on when trying to sell stuff on EF. Even though I do agree that there are sometimes no purpose dumb question, I do not agree that one should jump in and buy something just because it has a good price.
Here is a good example:
I bought almost three weeks ago from from EF member Twirlies this car:
http://www.englishforum.ch/sale-want...05-luzern.html
I admit...a good price even with 7000 and I bought it with 5000. I admit i was dumb enough trusting the guy believing he is in a hurry to sell it and I did not check important things...Never had an EF member cheating or lying...never had a bad experience. BUT still he lied about many things and with what I have to pay, it will go over 7000. I called him an hour after I bought it because driving on the highway I was hearing weird sounds. He said that it is only the bad tires. The next day I went to check everything he said. He lied in pretty much everything. I called for almost a week, send emails, messages...nothing....called his job...nothing. I waited until now because i was hoping that there was some kind of misunderstanding. Just got the mfk invitation which he said it was done.
A good lesson for me...I agree...but Twirlies...be a man and even though you left the country, come out and talk. I really need to know a few things about the car...

sounds can be just tyres... If the tyres are hard because of age or have low tread it can cause sounds like worn wheel bearings also.

What do you need to have fixed? If you went to a ford garage and said fix this then you will have high prices.. there are plenty of other options.

For the MFK you have a stamp on the registration document so can see if it has been done or not, has the abgas test been done also?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23.10.2011, 11:18
cdcdoc's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fehraltorf / ZH
Posts: 805
Groaned at 31 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 789 Times in 398 Posts
cdcdoc has a reputation beyond reputecdcdoc has a reputation beyond reputecdcdoc has a reputation beyond reputecdcdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

I agree it was my mistake too...i said it from the very beginning. And I know it is too late I could find excuses but still I made mistakes. But in the same time, like I said, at least come out and talk to me...let me know what is really going on. He seemed to be a respectable person, works for a big company. That is why I kept trying to make sure it is not a misunderstanding...but this is the way he chose to leave CH...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23.10.2011, 11:27
Kamarate's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 1,915
Groaned at 57 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 1,619 Times in 685 Posts
Kamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

I made a similar mistake buying a car from someone (not off EF). We drove it around a bit and it seemed fine, even took my boyfriend at the time to check it out as he knows his stuff. Seemed like they'd done quite a few quick fixes and we've spent SO much on it (plus I've almost died twice).

If it seems too good to be true... it probably is.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23.10.2011, 11:34
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,468
Groaned at 251 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 12,868 Times in 7,238 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

Quote:
View Post
I made a similar mistake buying a car from someone (not off EF). We drove it around a bit and it seemed fine, even took my boyfriend at the time to check it out as he knows his stuff. Seemed like they'd done quite a few quick fixes and we've spent SO much on it (plus I've almost died twice).

If it seems too good to be true... it probably is.
Generally buy an old BMW with 150k for peanuts & you will not go wrong, done this twice now at 298k and happy.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 23.10.2011, 11:35
cdcdoc's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fehraltorf / ZH
Posts: 805
Groaned at 31 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 789 Times in 398 Posts
cdcdoc has a reputation beyond reputecdcdoc has a reputation beyond reputecdcdoc has a reputation beyond reputecdcdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

I have not started this thread to hear "shouldnt you have...bla bla bla". I know where I was wrong and it is not that I do not like to hear again my stupid mistakes . Everything went fast and instead of looking at the paper I took his word for it that the MFK was done in 2009. It was actually 2005
I went to Ford. It is something wrong with the car because the tires get used more on half of the tire. He was telling me that he checked and there is nothing wrong with the car but it is the type of the tire. He said that I should go the next day to put the winter ones and everything should be fine. I did go. But Ford told me that they would not let me drive out of the garage with the winter tires and even with the summer ones. Both sets were too old. And they proved it. The next day the seller went awol...
Now...I could have...I should have...like I said...it is not my purpose. A guy was complaining about too many questions on EF even though it is a good price.
But do not do what I did. Ask questions. As many as you can. Have everything checked because even though EF it is one of the greatest things in CH...that does not mean that there are not people that take advantage of this...



Quote:
View Post
sounds can be just tyres... If the tyres are hard because of age or have low tread it can cause sounds like worn wheel bearings also.

What do you need to have fixed? If you went to a ford garage and said fix this then you will have high prices.. there are plenty of other options.

For the MFK you have a stamp on the registration document so can see if it has been done or not, has the abgas test been done also?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank cdcdoc for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 23.10.2011, 11:38
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,468
Groaned at 251 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 12,868 Times in 7,238 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

Quote:
View Post
Everything went fast and instead of looking at the paper I took his word for it that the MFK was done in 2009. It was actually 2005
.
135k on a Ford, will need a waterpump & cambelt NOW if it's not been done. Always check that the MFK is done, without the car is worth way less than 5k
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 23.10.2011, 11:42
Kamarate's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 1,915
Groaned at 57 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 1,619 Times in 685 Posts
Kamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

Quote:
View Post
Generally buy an old BMW with 150k for peanuts & you will not go wrong, done this twice now at 298k and happy.
Hmm... maybe it's a different case if you buy a Daewoo Matiz.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Kamarate for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 23.10.2011, 11:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,145
Groaned at 226 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 5,099 Times in 2,635 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

if tyres are wearing in an uneven pattern then you need to have the cars suspension geometry adjusted.. not a big job at all, in germany its about 80 euro , in CH about 150-200ch.

The tyres will have a manufacture date on the side wall usually a 4 digit number eg 2809 28th week of 2009. There is no legal "de date/ not allowed to be used after" for tyres, they however do age and go hard.

the ford dealer is taking you for a ride i they are charging more than 2000 chf for tyres and alignment, unless there is a lot of things that need to be done.

Be sure to make a difference between must and nice to have jobs.

the alignment can also be due to suspension damage but that can be rectified for a fraction of the main dealer cost.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 23.10.2011, 12:00
magic's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 878
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 365 Times in 195 Posts
magic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

Caveat emptor as the saying goes. I am sure many people including myself have made the same mistake.

I try and go with my intuition on these things, but if it is a lot of money to me, then I spend more time to think about things than when I was younger.

We live and learn and I am sure you will never hear from the former EF member, just chalk it up to experience and at least your story is here for others to learn by.

Hope after a bit of cash and some TLC the car works out to give you some trouble free motoring.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank magic for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 23.10.2011, 12:01
ecb's Avatar
ecb ecb is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: out n about - it's summer!
Posts: 2,181
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,522 Times in 1,309 Posts
ecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

Quote:
View Post
I have not started this thread to hear "shouldnt you have...bla bla bla". I know where I was wrong and it is not that I do not like to hear again my stupid mistakes . Everything went fast and instead of looking at the paper I took his word for it that the MFK was done in 2009. It was actually 2005
I went to Ford. It is something wrong with the car because the tires get used more on half of the tire. He was telling me that he checked and there is nothing wrong with the car but it is the type of the tire. He said that I should go the next day to put the winter ones and everything should be fine. I did go. But Ford told me that they would not let me drive out of the garage with the winter tires and even with the summer ones. Both sets were too old. And they proved it. The next day the seller went awol...
Now...I could have...I should have...like I said...it is not my purpose. A guy was complaining about too many questions on EF even though it is a good price.
But do not do what I did. Ask questions. As many as you can. Have everything checked because even though EF it is one of the greatest things in CH...that does not mean that there are not people that take advantage of this...
I understand and sympathise. You know what you should have done and we've all been in that situation ... wise after the event.

I've sold a lot of things on various expat websites (including this one) and only ever had thanks and lovely emails saying how great the stuff is; even pictures of their little ones wearing/playing with the stuff. So it came as a huge surprise to me when a couple of weeks ago I had a less than happy experience with buying furniture. But its easier to put that out of mind than a car which cost a lot of money and which you now have to spend more on to get right.

And out and out lying about the age or dates of things is, for me, inexcusable.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ecb for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 23.10.2011, 12:01
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,468
Groaned at 251 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 12,868 Times in 7,238 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

Quote:
View Post
Hmm... maybe it's a different case if you buy a Daewoo Matiz.
I have no idea how easy it is to Fix a Doewoo Maitz, & I expect the parts are really expensive. I get the BMW parts in the UK , oil filter £4 for example, & there is loads of space! Changed the oil yesterday in the Street in France, nothing more to do for the next 12K . It's just petrol & oil, then air filter & plugs every 48k. DONT GO TO A MAIN DEALER!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 23.10.2011, 12:02
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 598
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 439 Times in 222 Posts
V__ has an excellent reputationV__ has an excellent reputationV__ has an excellent reputationV__ has an excellent reputation
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

The uneven tire thread could also mean that the suspension is giving up or it was damaged by hitting low barrier with the rims with high speed... Check if there is any leak behind the wheels and if there are bumps on the rims. Cars with suspension like this should be avoided at all costs. Feel sorry for your situation, but it is not legal for the owner to hide and not mention that kind of damage/future repairs on the car.

Personally, I really don't think that the suspension needs just realignment, but if you try to fix it, take it to Germany and have it repaired there.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank V__ for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 23.10.2011, 12:09
Kamarate's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 1,915
Groaned at 57 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 1,619 Times in 685 Posts
Kamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

Quote:
View Post
I have no idea how easy it is to Fix a Doewoo Maitz, & I expect the parts are really expensive. I get the BMW parts in the UK , oil filter £4 for example, & there is loads of space! Changed the oil yesterday in the Street in France, nothing more to do for the next 12K . It's just petrol & oil, then air filter & plugs every 48k. DONT GO TO A MAIN DEALER!
Parts are very expensive (in the UK, I mean). Wouldn't recommend it for that reason, but it's actually quite a nice little car to drive.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 23.10.2011, 13:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,145
Groaned at 226 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 5,099 Times in 2,635 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

CDCDOC: Can you please send me a pic of the worn tyres or post it on here...

Would i be correct the tyres are wearing on the inside edge?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 23.10.2011, 13:38
cdcdoc's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fehraltorf / ZH
Posts: 805
Groaned at 31 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 789 Times in 398 Posts
cdcdoc has a reputation beyond reputecdcdoc has a reputation beyond reputecdcdoc has a reputation beyond reputecdcdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

Thanks for the help but I got winter tires at the Ford garage. If I remember correctly it was on the inside.
I would rather not discuss it more here...not the purpose. I am pursuing the legal aspect on other channels but I need to do it right...

Quote:
View Post
CDCDOC: Can you please send me a pic of the worn tyres or post it on here...

Would i be correct the tyres are wearing on the inside edge?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 23.10.2011, 13:48
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 11,092
Groaned at 115 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 13,212 Times in 6,555 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very bad experience with EF member but a good lesson too :)

Thanks for the feedback, makes people more careful.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crown Relocation For Shipping - good or bad experience? kev132 Housing in general 23 05.08.2014 16:34
First Bad Selling Experience on EF Mrs. Doolittle Complaints corner 37 20.04.2011 14:47
A bad experience with Switzernet mithunroy Complaints corner 3 01.04.2011 13:11
Bad experience with ecoleint Voytt Complaints corner 57 19.02.2011 21:08
Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with TC Entreprise générale SA? question_tennant Housing in general 0 10.10.2010 15:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0