Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Support > Support > Forum support
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 13.09.2018, 16:42
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 10,817
Groaned at 266 Times in 224 Posts
Thanked 19,895 Times in 7,257 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dangerous advertising on EF forum

Quote:
View Post
It's at work.

They block this stuff for a reason.


I don't know what you do for a living, but credible news sources like Spiegel might be important for many peoples work.


I work as an external consultant for a bank. So I get some FT article forwarded. FT blocks any free access automatically with the message "we recognize you come from a domain which has a group account, just put in your credentials here"... too bad that my consultant credentials aren't accepted... so I have to end up reading it on my phone instead... where it is available for free.


I don't block ads at newspapers I support. THey need to make at least some money and if I deceide to read online instead of print does this mean that I pay with my privacy instead of CHF... I am also happy to support EF. Too bad that the ads are so crap here... I think that if the site together with toytown were actively managed the company could make a lot more than they do today with those automated ads.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 13.09.2018, 17:50
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 6,287
Groaned at 936 Times in 514 Posts
Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,577 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Dangerous advertising on EF forum

Quote:
View Post
kodi or popcorn or showRSS...
I don't have Smart TV . Just the old dumb TV
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 14.09.2018, 12:18
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 555
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 438 Times in 206 Posts
Spinal has an excellent reputationSpinal has an excellent reputationSpinal has an excellent reputationSpinal has an excellent reputation
Re: Dangerous advertising on EF forum

Quote:
View Post
I don't have Smart TV . Just the old dumb TV
None of those are for smart tvs

Kodi/Popcorn will run on a firestick or a dedicate box (30chf or so), while showrss uses torrents (so will need a computer and an xbox or a kodi box)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Spinal for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 14.09.2018, 12:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,036
Groaned at 59 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,642 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dangerous advertising on EF forum

Quote:
View Post
I don't know what you do for a living, but credible news sources like Spiegel might be important for many peoples work.


I work as an external consultant for a bank. So I get some FT article forwarded. FT blocks any free access automatically with the message "we recognize you come from a domain which has a group account, just put in your credentials here"... too bad that my consultant credentials aren't accepted... so I have to end up reading it on my phone instead... where it is available for free.


I don't block ads at newspapers I support. THey need to make at least some money and if I deceide to read online instead of print does this mean that I pay with my privacy instead of CHF... I am also happy to support EF. Too bad that the ads are so crap here... I think that if the site together with toytown were actively managed the company could make a lot more than they do today with those automated ads.



I work in IT. Technically spiegel.de has as much todo with my work as 20min.ch.



Blocking heise.de would be worse - and theregister.co.uk has often provided valuable heads-up.


The truth is that while I'm toying with the idea of buying an electronic subscription to nzz.ch, at the same time it does not have to do anything with my work and I'm not really supposed to spend so much time on the site anyway - just like with EF .
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 14.09.2018, 13:33
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS
Posts: 6,959
Groaned at 215 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 11,102 Times in 4,899 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dangerous advertising on EF forum

Quote:
View Post
None of those are for smart tvs

Kodi/Popcorn will run on a firestick or a dedicate box (30chf or so), while showrss uses torrents (so will need a computer and an xbox or a kodi box)
IME Kodi is itself a complete waste of time, given that it's only a (poor) interface to manage and play web content, which you have to choose and configure yourself.

In any case, kodi or otherwise, you only need a single box running Android - Here's a few on Amazon - which you can run anything you like, including Kodi (and Swisscom, Zatto, etc.).

Note that even with Swisscom TV, using the App instead of the provided TV box allows you to download content, then viewable and transferrable (e.g. via SDcard) on any device. Using an external viewer (I recommend VLC) gives you complete control over the playback.

Showbox is another great interface for viewing or downloading content, via torrents, i.e. pirated and potentially illegal of course, including many new current shows from Netflx and Amazon, and nearly always with the adverts removed already.

So frankly, moves by providers to force viewers to see advertising will ultimately fail, and will encourage even more people to go down the route of pirated content, who might otherwise be happy to pay subscriptions if only they could avoid advertiising by doing so.
__________________
Introduce yourself!

Last edited by Ace1; 14.09.2018 at 13:56.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 14.09.2018, 13:43
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,720
Groaned at 195 Times in 166 Posts
Thanked 19,003 Times in 8,073 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dangerous advertising on EF forum

Quote:
View Post
I don't know what you do for a living, but credible news sources like Spiegel might be important for many peoples work.

Ahem, ahem, cough, cough.

I think that finished in about 1997.

Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Being on the tv is dangerous! McTAVGE Daily life 38 15.05.2017 17:14
Warning / More EF Advertising Crap mirfield Forum support 22 29.01.2016 13:07
Dangerous Man on the loose lost_inbroad Swiss politics/news 102 02.07.2011 14:39
Promotion/advertising with this forum - guidelines and info mark Announcements 1 02.12.2008 00:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0