Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Support > Support > Forum support  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10.12.2019, 10:59
hairybadger's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva area
Posts: 544
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 751 Times in 302 Posts
hairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond repute
reading on a mobile phone

I've tried searching the forum for a solution to this - I can't find any relevant (recent!) posts.

I'm looking for a solution for reading the forum on a mobile phone. The font scaling (or lack thereof) makes it a painful experience (on my phone at least and with my font etc settings). For me it's best on a computer and bearable on a tablet but occasionally I use my phone (Samsung A6, chrome). The index page or whatever it is called is particularly bad - I need to zoom in and then pan left and right to read the text. I can't find englishforum listed on tapatalk (I've tried writing it a few different ways - no dice).

Am I missing something?
  #2  
Old 10.12.2019, 11:36
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,897
Groaned at 62 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,489 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: reading on a mobile phone

Quote:
View Post
Am I missing something?

A larger phone.


Name:  Annotation 2019-12-10 113428.png
Views: 429
Size:  254.7 KB
The following 4 users would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 10.12.2019, 11:38
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,780
Groaned at 2,368 Times in 1,722 Posts
Thanked 38,746 Times in 18,256 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: reading on a mobile phone

Turn it sideways (landscape mode).

Tom
The following 3 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 10.12.2019, 13:44
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,489
Groaned at 413 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,424 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: reading on a mobile phone

Quote:
View Post
I've tried searching the forum for a solution to this - I can't find any relevant (recent!) posts.

I'm looking for a solution for reading the forum on a mobile phone. The font scaling (or lack thereof) makes it a painful experience (on my phone at least and with my font etc settings). For me it's best on a computer and bearable on a tablet but occasionally I use my phone (Samsung A6, chrome). The index page or whatever it is called is particularly bad - I need to zoom in and then pan left and right to read the text. I can't find englishforum listed on tapatalk (I've tried writing it a few different ways - no dice).

Am I missing something?
I am on A3/chrome and it is a total pita. For typos and even for mere thanking, lol.

Skip the front page, put the New Threads page as your home page. Try to read sideways, or decreaee font. But you might also need to change your prescription, I know I do.

I wonder if we ever change from VBul, but I don't think your problem is VBulletin.

Some cells are now quite large...back to the paddle size. My A3 is a baby size.

Last edited by MusicChick; 10.12.2019 at 14:02.
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 10.12.2019, 16:08
hairybadger's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva area
Posts: 544
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 751 Times in 302 Posts
hairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: reading on a mobile phone

Quote:
View Post
I am on A3/chrome and it is a total pita. For typos and even for mere thanking, lol.

Skip the front page, put the New Threads page as your home page. Try to read sideways, or decreaee font. But you might also need to change your prescription, I know I do.

I wonder if we ever change from VBul, but I don't think your problem is VBulletin.

Some cells are now quite large...back to the paddle size. My A3 is a baby size.
I find manipulating the phone sideways awkward.

The front page is the only page that displays in a reasonable size (apart from the menu items).

I have the fonts set pretty large already
  #6  
Old 11.12.2019, 09:22
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,489
Groaned at 413 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,424 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: reading on a mobile phone

Quote:
View Post

I have the fonts set pretty large already
Which turns every screen into a headache when trying to maneuvre it. Hence our suggestion for either bigger screen or adjusting your pescription. I do not think there is much chance to change the front page, en plus it's the one that has been acting up. New Threads page is more reliable.

But I will bring this up to the wizzards.
  #7  
Old 11.12.2019, 09:44
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,489
Groaned at 413 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,424 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: reading on a mobile phone

So - the good news is we will eventually upgrade to new VBul. The less good news is that we don't know when just yet.

Just bear with this a tad longer, if you can.
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 11.12.2019, 10:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: reading on a mobile phone

Quote:
View Post
So - the good news is we will eventually upgrade to new VBul.
Probably.

I didn't think EB's comments should be taken as a promise.
  #9  
Old 11.12.2019, 12:12
hairybadger's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva area
Posts: 544
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 751 Times in 302 Posts
hairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: reading on a mobile phone

Quote:
View Post
Which turns every screen into a headache when trying to maneuvre it. Hence our suggestion for either bigger screen or adjusting your pescription. I do not think there is much chance to change the front page, en plus it's the one that has been acting up. New Threads page is more reliable.

But I will bring this up to the wizzards.
Prescription? I don't wear glasses. It's only for Englishforum that I have this problem - I'm not changing my phone just so that I can read Englishforum on it Check out the attachments. An A6 is about 7x15cm. (note I've had to scale the images right down to be able to upload them)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191211-115912_Chrome.jpg (186.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191211-115924_Chrome.jpg (147.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191211-115856_Chrome.jpg (191.4 KB, 40 views)
  #10  
Old 11.12.2019, 12:39
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,489
Groaned at 413 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,424 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: reading on a mobile phone

Quote:
View Post
Prescription? I don't wear glasses. It's only for Englishforum that I have this problem - I'm not changing my phone just so that I can read Englishforum on it Check out the attachments. An A6 is about 7x15cm. (note I've had to scale the images right down to be able to upload them)
Hmmmmmm, I don't know, tbh. Mine is cca 10x6 cm and I zoom in and out as I need but I got a different EF page as a home page.

I guess the new VBul might improve this.
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 11.12.2019, 16:06
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,897
Groaned at 62 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,489 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: reading on a mobile phone

Quote:
View Post
Prescription? I don't wear glasses. It's only for Englishforum that I have this problem - I'm not changing my phone just so that I can read Englishforum on it Check out the attachments. An A6 is about 7x15cm. (note I've had to scale the images right down to be able to upload them)
An Ad blocker will help.
This user would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 10.03.2020, 03:51
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ausland, escaped .ch scamland
Posts: 239
Groaned at 49 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 83 Posts
armed_neutrality is considered unworthyarmed_neutrality is considered unworthyarmed_neutrality is considered unworthy
Re: reading on a mobile phone

You know the retarded kid at school? The web, and everything available via the web, is all the product of that one retarded kid. That's why these retards try to "lay things out" and so on. The efficient answer is that none of it is worth reading.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tapatalk - for reading EF on a mobile phone Ed Pummelon Announcements 57 25.03.2021 11:44
Which mobile phone to use in CH? Luness TV/internet/telephone 3 12.08.2011 07:21
Phone Home for Free using Mobile Phone crazysniper TV/internet/telephone 0 24.05.2010 16:39
Mobile phone to use in the US Ed Pummelon TV/internet/telephone 14 24.10.2009 02:00
Mobile Phone in CH benneesom TV/internet/telephone 8 18.06.2009 11:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0