Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Support > Support > Forum support  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 31.08.2020, 14:57
robogobo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Horw (LU)
Posts: 504
Groaned at 76 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 414 Times in 216 Posts
robogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond repute
Biased moderation

What shall we do when a moderator is actively involved in a discussion, regularly "Thanking" comments from a particular member, and then deletes a comment directed at that user that didn't contain any foul language or insults, but was pointed nonetheless in a manner exactly in line with his comments?

This kind of bias warrants a discussion with mods, perhaps instructing them to remove themselves from a discussion or redirect moderation to another mod who's not involved. Disagreeing with the content of a post is not grounds for deletion. It's an abuse of power for certain.

Thanks for your attention.
__________________

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank robogobo for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 31.08.2020, 15:04
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Biased moderation

Quote:
View Post
What shall we do when a moderator is actively involved in a discussion, regularly "Thanking" comments from a particular member, and then deletes a comment directed at that user that didn't contain any foul language or insults, but was pointed nonetheless in a manner exactly in line with his comments?

This kind of bias warrants a discussion with mods, perhaps instructing them to remove themselves from a discussion or redirect moderation to another mod who's not involved. Disagreeing with the content of a post is not grounds for deletion. It's an abuse of power for certain.

Thanks for your attention.
Said mod (think I know which...) has form and nothing has ever happened so far...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 31.08.2020, 15:11
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,305
Groaned at 53 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 5,578 Times in 2,134 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

I wanted to reply: "you must be new here"


but you are a member since 2008. how is this new to you?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Ouchboy for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 31.08.2020, 15:12
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,129
Groaned at 236 Times in 198 Posts
Thanked 21,830 Times in 8,929 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

This is all a bit déjà-vu.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 31.08.2020, 15:15
robogobo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Horw (LU)
Posts: 504
Groaned at 76 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 414 Times in 216 Posts
robogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

Quote:
View Post
I wanted to reply: "you must be new here"


but you are a member since 2008. how is this new to you?
I always saved my political commentary for other forums, until that coronavirus thread got started and the QAnon members started coming out of the woodwork. I can't stomach the conspiracy theorists and 20/20 hindsight libertarians. So I'm a little more direct than usual.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank robogobo for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 31.08.2020, 15:20
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,607
Groaned at 17 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 3,023 Times in 1,219 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

Quote:
View Post
I always saved my political commentary for other forums, until that coronavirus thread got started and the QAnon members started coming out of the woodwork. I can't stomach the conspiracy theorists and 20/20 hindsight libertarians. So I'm a little more direct than usual.
I think it was the addressing another poster directly as being full of it that got it deleted. I've had stuff deleted in the past that I did not think was inflammatory.

These things happen, you can rage against the machine or just accept that the mods are unpaid humans.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 31.08.2020, 15:21
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,305
Groaned at 53 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 5,578 Times in 2,134 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

Quote:
View Post
I always saved my political commentary for other forums, until that coronavirus thread got started and the QAnon members started coming out of the woodwork. I can't stomach the conspiracy theorists and 20/20 hindsight libertarians. So I'm a little more direct than usual.


ah well. this has been going on for a long while. don't expect it to change so I suggest you make fun of them every chance you get.


My preferred method is via rep to other members.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Ouchboy for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 31.08.2020, 15:32
Elu Elu is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Olten
Posts: 574
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,083 Times in 459 Posts
Elu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

Quote:
View Post
What shall we do when a moderator is actively involved in a discussion, regularly "Thanking" comments from a particular member, and then deletes a comment directed at that user that didn't contain any foul language or insults, but was pointed nonetheless in a manner exactly in line with his comments?
When you speak of deleted post without foul language or insults you are referring to this one right?:


"Honestly what the grand holy F are you talking about. Seriously you're delusional. It's taken off EVERYWHERE exactly as it was feared (yes, I've looked for myself, and so has EVERYONE who has eyes and ears, wow how you insult in your own special way). You can keep denying that distancing measures were beneficial and indeed curbed the spread (yes, even in Sweden), but EVERYONE knows how full of sh*t you and your kind are. Bend the numbers all you like. You need your head checked, man. DELUSIONAL."
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Elu for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 31.08.2020, 15:54
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,399
Groaned at 40 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 4,580 Times in 2,110 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

Quote:
View Post
I always saved my political commentary for other forums, until that coronavirus thread got started and the QAnon members started coming out of the woodwork. I can't stomach the conspiracy theorists and 20/20 hindsight libertarians. So I'm a little more direct than usual.
QAnon, conspiracy, libertarians? All those almost useless labels tells more about you than the others. Worst thing one can do is reconstruct a whole personality based on a couple posts on the forum. If you don't know someone, resist the urge to fill the gaps with imagination and make a judgement without knowing. There's a name for that: prejudice. Well, there's a worse thing: typing and click on reply after relying on prejudice for decision making.

Of course, evolution put that in our minds when we had to judge in a few seconds if others will attack us or not. In that case it's good to make a quick judgement even if it's wrong.....but, that is not the case, no one gets hurt for any forum post even if said post is the dumbest of the week.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 31.08.2020, 16:42
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 84
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 48 Posts
henk has earned some respecthenk has earned some respect
Re: Biased moderation

This forum is seriously ed up and things should change, I for example do not post my opinion anymore as it is sneered at and made fun of by members who think they are better than others
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank henk for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 31.08.2020, 16:51
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,069
Groaned at 554 Times in 433 Posts
Thanked 23,848 Times in 9,627 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

Quote:
View Post
QAnon, conspiracy, libertarians? All those almost useless labels tells more about you than the others. Worst thing one can do is reconstruct a whole personality based on a couple posts on the forum.
305 posts on the thread in question is not what one would describe as "a couple of posts".

But not as much as the mod who deleted the post who has make 503 posts on the thread so I think we can conclude that they feel pretty strongly about the topic and are unlikely to have an unbiased viewpoint with such a deluge of posts.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 31.08.2020, 17:20
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,399
Groaned at 40 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 4,580 Times in 2,110 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

Quote:
View Post
305 posts on the thread in question is not what one would describe as "a couple of posts".

But not as much as the mod who deleted the post who has make 503 posts on the thread so I think we can conclude that they feel pretty strongly about the topic and are unlikely to have an unbiased viewpoint with such a deluge of posts.
Counting problems. Well, for the sake of discussion, let's say 1000 posts. Does it makes a difference? What's the wrong thing to make right? Having a different opinion?


Considering we spent several months working from home, or even lost the job, some people is back to home country, sick or dead family members...the last thing I would expect is an unbiased opinion from anyone. For that you need an alien that arrived yesterday. In reality, all we got is humans.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 31.08.2020, 17:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 2,077
Groaned at 281 Times in 204 Posts
Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,135 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

Quote:
View Post
When you speak of deleted post without foul language or insults you are referring to this one right?:


"Honestly what the grand holy F are you talking about. Seriously you're delusional. It's taken off EVERYWHERE exactly as it was feared (yes, I've looked for myself, and so has EVERYONE who has eyes and ears, wow how you insult in your own special way). You can keep denying that distancing measures were beneficial and indeed curbed the spread (yes, even in Sweden), but EVERYONE knows how full of sh*t you and your kind are. Bend the numbers all you like. You need your head checked, man. DELUSIONAL."



How on earth are cou able to copy a post that has been deleted? Confused?!?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 31.08.2020, 17:29
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,125
Groaned at 369 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 14,108 Times in 6,568 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

Quote:
View Post
How on earth are cou able to copy a post that has been deleted? Confused?!?
Because it was already quoted before it got deleted
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 31.08.2020, 17:41
Elu Elu is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Olten
Posts: 574
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,083 Times in 459 Posts
Elu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

Quote:
View Post
How on earth are cou able to copy a post that has been deleted? Confused?!?
Here:
https://www.englishforum.ch/3212526-post12046.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Elu for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 31.08.2020, 17:54
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,135
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

Quote:
View Post
When you speak of deleted post without foul language or insults you are referring to this one right?:


"Honestly what the grand holy F are you talking about. Seriously you're delusional. It's taken off EVERYWHERE exactly as it was feared (yes, I've looked for myself, and so has EVERYONE who has eyes and ears, wow how you insult in your own special way). You can keep denying that distancing measures were beneficial and indeed curbed the spread (yes, even in Sweden), but EVERYONE knows how full of sh*t you and your kind are. Bend the numbers all you like. You need your head checked, man. DELUSIONAL."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 31.08.2020, 18:11
NotAllThere's Avatar
Mod x2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,810
Groaned at 244 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 20,397 Times in 8,280 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

Quote:
View Post
Biased moderation.


I'll get my popcorn.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 31.08.2020, 18:13
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Near Luzern
Posts: 1,860
Groaned at 147 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,112 Posts
Patxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

Quote:
View Post
What shall we do when a moderator is actively involved in a discussion, regularly "Thanking" comments from a particular member, and then deletes a comment directed at that user that didn't contain any foul language or insults, but was pointed nonetheless in a manner exactly in line with his comments?
1. Grow a pair and stop being such a snowflake?
2. Avoid trigger threads full of numbnuts?


Quote:
View Post
This kind of bias warrants a discussion with mods, perhaps instructing them to remove themselves from a discussion or redirect moderation to another mod who's not involved. Disagreeing with the content of a post is not grounds for deletion. It's an abuse of power for certain.
Oh jeeezus, you're killing me.

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for your attention.
Don't mention it.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Patxi for this useful post:
This user groans at Patxi for this post:
  #19  
Old 31.08.2020, 18:21
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,370
Groaned at 356 Times in 244 Posts
Thanked 12,353 Times in 4,224 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

The post was removed for insulting language against another EF member.

Not only are such insults intimidation, it‘s a clear pointer that you have lost the argument.

Were I still a mod here, I would have explained this to you and banned you for a week...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 31.08.2020, 19:22
NotAllThere's Avatar
Mod x2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,810
Groaned at 244 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 20,397 Times in 8,280 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biased moderation

Quote:
View Post
2. Avoid trigger threads full of numbnuts?
I find occasionally dipping in and rattling the cages can be entertaining. But I understand the biased mods have no sense of humour about these things so I certainly never do that.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Over moderation Treverus Forum support 93 16.04.2018 17:19
Haircut - non-gender biased pricing Francesca C Other/general 15 15.10.2015 21:57
engineering biased jobsearch websites fuddymeers Employment 0 10.09.2011 16:32
Moderation here InselAffe Complaints corner 102 09.11.2009 13:42


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0