Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Support > Support > Forum support  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 06.09.2020, 06:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,256
Groaned at 1,184 Times in 785 Posts
Thanked 19,127 Times in 7,417 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Quote:
View Post
Sometimes I feel as though I am in a "Country Club" here with no reference as to why the person mentioned offended... And if so, how?
He was an obnoxious twerp who did not show the proper respect to so may fine and upstanding EF netizens.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 06.09.2020, 14:25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: In your head
Posts: 375
Groaned at 45 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 1,159 Times in 413 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Quote:
Just his mere existence offended. I mean, some dawg choosing a user name to boast about his wealth?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 06.09.2020, 17:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,107
Groaned at 122 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 7,756 Times in 2,875 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

It is interesting that some users - especially those who troll or make a point of being unhelpful are allowed to reincarnate with impunity, while others receive an instant ban on return.

The consequence is entire threads filled with drivel - you search for something and you get pages of results where whoever asked the question one was interested in gets some chuffer telling them to use the search function.

The other consequence is a haemorrhage of useful members - which appears to be of no concern to those who run this site.

Cheers,
Nick
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 06.09.2020, 19:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Quote:
Just his mere existence offended. I mean, some dawg choosing a user name to boast about his wealth?
I guess I never read any of his (Rich Dog's) "boasting" posts; that said, I should have written "Middle School" as opposed to "Country Club" when it comes to this forum and how some members can be so callous and rude when it suits them.

I wonder why they have to take pot shots; maybe it makes them feel better and superior? Makes me think what they are like in person...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 06.09.2020, 19:52
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 4,063
Groaned at 113 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 5,466 Times in 2,110 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Who left now ..? What did i miss?

Summary please ?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 06.09.2020, 19:52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: In your head
Posts: 375
Groaned at 45 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 1,159 Times in 413 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Quote:
View Post
It is interesting that some users - especially those who troll or make a point of being unhelpful are allowed to reincarnate with impunity, while others receive an instant ban on return.

The consequence is entire threads filled with drivel - you search for something and you get pages of results where whoever asked the question one was interested in gets some chuffer telling them to use the search function.

The other consequence is a haemorrhage of useful members - which appears to be of no concern to those who run this site.

Cheers,
Nick
Nail. Hit. Head.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06.09.2020, 20:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Quote:
View Post
I guess I never read any of his (Rich Dog's) "boasting" posts; that said, I should have written "Middle School" as opposed to "Country Club" when it comes to this forum and how some members can be so callous and rude when it suits them.

I wonder why they have to take pot shots; maybe it makes them feel better and superior? Makes me think what they are like in person...
Psssst. Chuff and I replied tongue-in-cheek to your post about this mysterious RichDog character. We both know him and he's not what either of us said he is. You're being wound up.*


*Teased. Not stressed out.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06.09.2020, 20:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Quote:
Psssst. Chuff and I replied tongue-in-cheek to your post about this mysterious RichDog character. We both know him and he's not what either of us said he is. You're being wound up.*


*Teased. Not stressed out.
And the derisive, denigrating comments about others on this forum not in your or their clique? Sorry, I find them offensive and sad to be honest. To reiterate, it makes me wonder who they are in "real" life to have to resort to that behavior.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 06.09.2020, 20:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,256
Groaned at 1,184 Times in 785 Posts
Thanked 19,127 Times in 7,417 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Quote:
View Post
I guess I never read any of his (Rich Dog's) "boasting" posts; that said, I should have written "Middle School" as opposed to "Country Club" when it comes to this forum and how some members can be so callous and rude when it suits them.

I wonder why they have to take pot shots; maybe it makes them feel better and superior? Makes me think what they are like in person...
terri, I was Richdog before I changed my name to Chuff so we were just pulling your leg. Except the bit about me being annoying to a lot of members, that part is definitely true.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 06.09.2020, 20:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Quote:
View Post
terri, I was Richdog before I changed my name to Chuff so we were just pulling your leg. Except the bit about me being annoying to a lot of members, that part is definitely true.
Rich...I knew this! But thanks for the head's up . My comment was in response to a growing trend here on EF to act like Middle Schoolers which you and 22 Yards just confirmed... Such a shame as this forum has been such an invaluable resource for me and many others.

And the "clique" continues... Wow! Not much more to add here
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #51  
Old 06.09.2020, 20:59
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,038
Groaned at 349 Times in 233 Posts
Thanked 16,624 Times in 5,089 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Quote:
View Post
terri, I was Richdog before I changed my name to Chuff so we were just pulling your leg. Except the bit about me being annoying to a lot of members, that part is definitely true.
I didn't know that. I just thought you were a new annoying poster. Gotta say, kind of relieved.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 06.09.2020, 21:01
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,557
Groaned at 2,347 Times in 1,708 Posts
Thanked 38,353 Times in 18,101 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Quote:
View Post
terri, I was Richdog before I changed my name to Chuff
And here I thought that you were simply RichBitch!

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #53  
Old 06.09.2020, 21:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Kt Zurich
Posts: 814
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 2,714 Times in 954 Posts
ennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Quote:
View Post
And the derisive, denigrating comments about others on this forum not in your or their clique? Sorry, I find them offensive and sad to be honest. To reiterate, it makes me wonder who they are in "real" life to have to resort to that behavior.
Actually, I’ve often been surprised when I meet people in real life - most aren‘t what you‘d expect from their posting behavior.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank ennui for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 06.09.2020, 21:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,107
Groaned at 122 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 7,756 Times in 2,875 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

So which are the cliques and which users are in them?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #55  
Old 06.09.2020, 21:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Quote:
View Post
terri, I was Richdog before I changed my name to Chuff so we were just pulling your leg. Except the bit about me being annoying to a lot of members, that part is definitely true.
The funny thing here Rich...is that I am the youngest of nine (go figure..Irish Catholic family) and I have a great sense of humor and backbone as my siblings always take a shot at all of us (me too for the record )

My sense is, things have become polarized here on EF. Maybe it is the Covid situation? Who knows...Just my thoughts on posts I have viewed
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 07.09.2020, 05:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,256
Groaned at 1,184 Times in 785 Posts
Thanked 19,127 Times in 7,417 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Quote:
View Post
The funny thing here Rich...is that I am the youngest of nine (go figure..Irish Catholic family) and I have a great sense of humor and backbone as my siblings always take a shot at all of us (me too for the record )

My sense is, things have become polarized here on EF. Maybe it is the Covid situation? Who knows...Just my thoughts on posts I have viewed
Its been somewhat polarised and tense for years now Terri, maybe you just haven't noticed it so much if you don't post often. However, the Trump presidency and now Covid have undoubtedly inflamed tensions as you suddenly have a small but very vocal and persistent hardcore group of alt right wing Trump supporters and Covid deniers that have found a home and voice on the forum and are pretty much making the related threads unbearable.

Otherwise, it's not so bad. Cest la vie.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #57  
Old 07.09.2020, 06:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,107
Groaned at 122 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 7,756 Times in 2,875 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

I’ve read that the EF search function is very good.

I was looking for my mobile phone yesterday, and went on the EF search function, and lo and behold, it came up with loads of results. None of them any use for finding my phone, granted.

Anyway, I am still curious about these cliques. Which ones are there? And how can one join?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #58  
Old 07.09.2020, 08:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,638 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Quote:
View Post
My sense is, things have become polarized here on EF. Maybe it is the Covid situation? Who knows...Just my thoughts on posts I have viewed
No, it's definitely not only Covid and it has always been like that to a certain degree but even worse after brexit, trump, covid-19...(for instance you mentioned you miss a certain user, I or others don't, not really) I'm sure everyone who wants to pay attention to the group dynamics on EF and is free of any bias will notice very quickly who are those who incite and try to put everyone else down on each possible thread. Some here are incredibly rude even if they don't use a single offensive word. But yeah, political and Covid threads bring up the worst in many people. It would be nice if people would agree to disagree and ignore those whom they seem to dislike so much...I don't see the point in constantly trying to change someone else's views or to even communicate with those we would never hang out with in real life. Oh, and there's also some humour here I personally never got the hang of it. (and like you, I also consider myself a team player and usually love the banter)

Last edited by greenmount; 07.09.2020 at 09:14.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #59  
Old 07.09.2020, 10:26
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,916
Groaned at 446 Times in 340 Posts
Thanked 22,082 Times in 11,470 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Quote:
View Post
Its been somewhat polarised and tense for years now Terri, maybe you just haven't noticed it so much if you don't post often. However, the Trump presidency and now Covid have undoubtedly inflamed tensions as you suddenly have a small but very vocal and persistent hardcore group of alt right wing Trump supporters and Covid deniers that have found a home and voice on the forum and are pretty much making the related threads unbearable.

Otherwise, it's not so bad. Cest la vie.
You forgot about BREXIT, but then most of the voters were not right wingers just thick with no idea what they were voting for apparently

I don't think people are denying COVID exists, just that it's nothing like as serious as claimed with hysterical overreaction.

Not seen many Trump supporters either, same for BREXIT. As usual the forum does not reflect the view of the majority who bothered to vote during the last 5 years.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #60  
Old 07.09.2020, 19:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?

Quote:
View Post
Anyway, I am still curious about these cliques. Which ones are there? And how can one join?
Sorry to disappoint, Nick. They're not that sort of clique; no drums and whistles. Anyway, aren't you already in one?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GDPR and EnglishForum higgsboson Forum support 164 06.08.2020 11:31
Freedom of Speech on Public Forums mamasita Other/general 10 03.10.2011 13:08
Policy: Deletions / Edits of messages mark Announcements 142 23.02.2010 19:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0